30
49 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 30 [Silva's Forest, Part 3: Elf Village]

"Horn, what you're saying is utterly confusing and chaotic. Why is it wrong to support those who fight for us?"

Horn, unexpectedly appointed as a plenipotentiary ambassador by Crow, struggled to persuade the villagers. Horn, not being informed of Crow's agenda, couldn't provide a convincing explanation. However, betraying Crow's trust here could bring unforeseen disasters upon the elves. The magical power of the spirit user is on a different level. Even at the risk of his own life, Horn was prepared to use binding or sleep magic to restrain the villagers.

"Chief, I don't understand the thoughts of the spirit user. What I understand is that the spirit user is fighting for us, and for that, we shouldn't interfere."

"Horn, are you saying our assistance is a hindrance?"

"Are the elves of Silva's Forest incompetent or cowardly?"

"That's right. Even we can make those invaders regret their actions."

"No! It's absolutely forbidden for unexpected elements to interfere with the great magic that the spirit user is preparing. If we recklessly intrude, we endanger our benefactor's life! Can the elves of Silva's Forest be so thoughtless and ungrateful?"

Horn desperately tried to stop the elves who were wielding weapons and shouting to join the battle.

"Horn, why do you trust a foreign spirit user so much? Even if you've only known them for two or three days."

"Chief, once you see the spirit user, you'll understand the greatness of their power. No ordinary mage can sense that much magical power. If you can't believe my words, trust the spirit tree on the outskirts of Edge. It was the spirit tree who introduced the spirit user to us."

"Hmm... All of you, let's listen to what Horn says. It's been three hours since the watchmen notified us of the invaders' approach. Even with the slow pace of humans, they should have reached the vicinity of the village in two hours. Yet, there's still no sign of them. That means, the foreign spirit user has successfully stopped the invaders without making a single sound of swords clashing."

Upon hearing the words, the elves finally realized that the Baron's army had not arrived. As Horn had suggested, had the foreign spirit user successfully thwarted the Baron's army? However, believing this without confirmation seemed too risky. They must go and check. The safety of the village was at stake. While they could be grateful to the foreign spirit user, they couldn't risk the safety of the village.

Horn, who was trying to restrain the elves shouting to go and check, felt something slipping away from his heart. If these fools couldn't understand even after saying it, should he just use binding or sleep magic?

Just as he was about to be swallowed by a murky and gloomy mood, the communication device entrusted to Crow activated.

"Can you hear me, Horn?"

"Spirit user!"

"Yeah, is this a message from the spirit user?"

"Did you provide the communication device?"

"Horn, I've dealt with the Baron's two squadrons. We let about thirty escape, but they won't cause trouble in Silva's Forest for a while."

"You've already repelled them!?"

"Yeah, to do that, I had to use powerful magic, and I set up a pretty dangerous formation to minimize damage to the forest. Don't approach the designated area for a while. That includes the area outside the forest. If you get too close, the magical formation may go out of control, and the entire forest will vanish."

After hearing the explanation, Horn turned pale, beyond the point of being blue. The elves near the communication device were in the same state. No one dared to go and check anymore.

"Since some might say they can't trust my words anyway, from now on, camp deep in the forest for a while. Once you confirm that the Baron's army hasn't arrived today or tomorrow, you'll know that the prevention was successful. And also, you'll understand the danger of the magic that annihilates four hundred soldiers of the Baron's army."

The elves, including the chief, were left speechless. Crow's indifferent tone paradoxically lent credibility to his words. Without consulting anyone, the elves started preparing to temporarily leave the village. Whether it was charisma or dignity, or simply an instinctual sense of "this guy is dangerous," the elves followed Crow's words.

Three days later, having obtained permission from Crow, the elves went to the designated area in the combat zone. Although there were indeed traces of magical power in that seemingly unchanged place, its true nature remained unknown. Outside the forest, they could sense somewhat scorched marks and the smell of blood, but still, they couldn't discern much more. There were no bodies left, but for the elves skilled in magic, it was evident that the place had undoubtedly become a stage of death.

An unknown and powerful spirit user had single-handedly protected the forest where the elves lived. That was the only thing the elves could understand.

...

"Alright, then, Romulus, Remus, I'll give you the entire set of equipment from the Baron's army. Oh, and analyze those Yalta Church amulets without absorbing them. We might use them for something later."

"Understood, Lord Crow. But, that was quite an impressive performance."

"No, it's just that they were fools. Thinking about fighting a forest battle with heavily-armored infantry, they were, in a sense, extraordinary. What would they have done if poisonous insects had infiltrated their armor?"

"The Baron's soldiers had a decent reputation... fitting for a lord."

"Yeah, lords are fools too, huh?"

"Lord Crow, what are your plans for after this?"

"In my world, we say something like this: 'Kick a dog that's fallen into the water.'"

3