Chapter 37: Kidnapping XIII – Aerial Mechs
918 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37: Kidnapping XIII - Aerial Mechs

“Got it.” The two of them left Alecto. He didn’t fall behind, though. Instead, he walked alongside them, still reading the informal agreement documents.

The aerial mechs tended to be lighter than landbound mechs of the same weight classification, but bigger due to their flight systems. They were around the middle of the pack in the director’s collection.

Finally, the director stopped before the aerial mechs, sleek machines with wings and boosters. “Should I introduce each of them to you, or will you specify what kind of machine that you would like to narrow it down first?” he asked?

Belevere already had a type of machine in mine. She wasn’t that familiar with aerial mechs since the Academy had a focus on landbound mechs. However, every high-ranking student had to be at least competent in piloting aerial mechs.

Even if she was decent at piloting these flying machines, however, she didn’t have the confidence of piloting them in melee where more control was needed than she thought she had. She couldn’t focus on her spearplay when she had to constantly worry about keeping afloat on top of trying to not get hit.

Despite being a rather lackluster marksman when she was still in the academy, she thought that piloting an aerial marksman mech was still the best choice she had.

Her eyes flitted toward one of the winged mech, armed with a massive long-barreled gun. 

“Director, what is that model?”

The director followed her gaze, landing on the aerial marksman. He nodded at her choice. “That’s the Inkbird, a current-gen ballistic marksman designed by Betheir Simons, one of our locals. She’s even more of a sniper than your average marksman mech, as you can probably tell from the gun she has.”

It was easy to tell where that mech got her name from. From head to toe, the mech was covered in darkened metal plates that hardly reflected any light. Against a dark sky, anyone would be hard-pressed to pick her out visually—a minor boon since most pilots still mostly relied on their sight to pick out targets. 

That is not to say she’s stealthy by any means, however. Most sensors could pick out the massive energy emissions of aerial mechs from much longer than aerial distance, and alternative methods of detection allowed pilots to effectively combat optically concealed threats. For all intents and purposes, the darkness of the Inkbird’s armor was worthless as camouflage.

Despite its weaknesses, or rather its lack of outstanding strength, the color did lend the Inkbird a menacing appearance. Combined with her angular contour and armor scheme full of hard edges, she was bound to look like a predator as she flew through the air.

Although Belevere piloted neither aerial nor marksman mechs, she was instantly drawn to her eye-catching appearance and became absorbed in her.

“Do you like that one?” the director asked, breaking her out of her thoughts.

In the end, she still hesitated. It was illogical to become so fixated on a single mech. “Um...”

“Don’t worry, I understand. I don’t think she is a good fit for you, knowing your specialities and style,” the director said. “There are other choices, but I do warn you that time grows short. I just received a notification from my investigators that they have found a trail from your room. It leads into the underground tunnel networks.”

“What? Underground tunnels?”

Weren’t Annabelle’s kidnappers traveling aboveground along a waterway? Her program didn’t take into account elevation, so that’s what she had thought. So her assumptions had been a mistake.

“Indeed. It might be a problem since the tunnels, while big, aren’t usually big enough in most places for mechs to fit through,” the director said, grimacing. “Nonetheless, we should prepare our mechs anyway just in case.”

Belevere thought for a bit and she knew that the director was right. What goes in must come out, and when the kidnappers were out in the open again, they could strike at them then.

Besides, now that she knew that they weren’t going to some place where there wasn’t a tower for Annabelle’s transmitter to piggyback a signal off of, there was a lot more leeway to finding Annabelle.

Not that she didn’t want to find and save Annabelle as soon as possible.

Is she scared right now? She must have woken up already. I must hurry. 

She began to fidget as the director gestured to the mech beside the Inkbird.

“This one is called the Dovelight. She’s designed by Bethier Simons, the very same designer as the Inkbird. I heard that Mister Simons had a flash of inspiration when he designed those two to contrast each other—sister mechs.”

It stood in sharp contrast with the Inkbird, yet shared many similarities. The Dovelight’s armor was matte as well to avoid drawing attention by reflecting too much light, but it was almost a pointless consideration due to her color scheme—the mech was almost pure white. Unlike the long rifle that the Inkbird was armed with, the Dovelight had a much shorter, compact laser rifle that looked rather unconventionally stocky.

However, despite the differences, the general aesthetics of the two mechs were similar, with almost matching angles. The head of the Dovelight was pointed, like the beak of a bird, but it was smooth and gentle unlike the cruel hook that tipped the beak of the Inkbird. 

Apart, there was practically no one who would connect the two mechs as being designed by the same person, but together, there was no doubt.

“I got them as a set. To be honest, I hoped to keep them together, but with luck, they’ll return to me after your little outing,” he said, giving her a look.

The director raised his nose proudly as he began to introduce all the good parts about the mech. 

“Instead of shooting ballistic rounds like her sister, the Dovelight is armed with a low-powered laser rifle. Unlike most laser rifles nowadays that fire at a fast rate or charge up for a more powerful blast, the Dovelight’s alternative firing mode is more of a constant stream of light that rapidly melts through its target... perfect for engaging heavily armored mechs!”

Belevere knew that with her caliber of shooting skills, she was much more suited to piloting the Dovelight. The sheer volume of laser beams she could put out from her gun made sure that she could wear down her opponent. At least some of the shots would hit.

It also matched her fighting style with her spear thrusts.

But it doesn’t sit well with me to pilot something like the Dovelight.

Her eyes kept getting drawn to the Inkbird and her menacing aura. It almost called to her the most out of all the aerial mechs in the room. She wasn’t going to say something silly like she and the mech were destined for each other or anything, but somehow she sensed that the Inkbird would be the best fit for her.

Logically, it wasn’t. The accuracy that the Inkbird demanded from its pilot due to its low firing rate as well as the low velocity of the rounds it fired compared to lasers meant that she likely couldn’t push the mech’s performance to its limits. Yet, it almost didn’t seem to matter.

What should I do? Although it’s only being lent to me temporarily, it might become mine if I let it take too much damage. That makes this essentially a test run of sorts. I have to make the right choice.

Belevere sighed. “I don’t know what to pick,” she admitted, shaking her head. “Both the Inkbird and the Dovelight have their merits, and I don’t know which one will suit me best.”

“Isn’t the answer obvious? I know the performances of most of the top scorers, and while you’re not bad with ranged mechs, you’re quite far from the best marksman,” the director said. He didn’t hold back in any way. “You’re not even in the top hundred of your grade.”

Belevere winced as the director ruthlessly tore into her. He was right, of course, but she still felt some attachment to the Inkbird. 

The director crossed his arms and tapped a finger on his arm. The feeling of impatience he gave off put Belevere under a lot of pressure to make her choice.

“So you’re recommending that I choose the Dovelight?”

“Of course! The Dovelight functions much better at close ranges thanks to the lower power shots, and at lower ranges you’ll hit more often anyway. She’s perfect for you,” he said. “Come on, you know I’m right, Odis.”

Belevere pressed her lips together and looked at Alecto, who watched quietly from the side. He had long finished signing the document and was now watching her choose her mech.

“Alecto, what do you think?” she asked.

He blinked, as if surprised that she was asking him. His mouth opened and closed like a fish silently. “Umm... I don’t know. I think it’s best if the choice is left up to you,” he said. His eyes darted around as he searched for an answer, and he hurriedly resumed as if she might stop paying attention if he didn’t have a reply.

“I think that only you can know what is best for you! What is better on paper might not be better in reality if you feel an affinity for another mech.”

An affinity for a mech.

Belevere thought judging from how hurried Alecto’s reply had been that the answer had been vague on purpose, but she thought it struck pretty close to heart. Was the attraction that she felt toward the Inkbird considered an affinity?

Even if Alecto’s reply was just empty words, perhaps there was some truth in it.

It’s okay. Even if I pick wrong, it’s not like I have to pilot it. I still have another mech that I can choose, and in a much less time sensitive environment as well.

“I’ve decided,” she said.

“Finally,” the director said. “The Academy Guards are already on their way here. Which one?”

Nodding, Belevere took a moment to reassure herself, telling herself that her decision was not wrong. She gave the white Dovelight one last look before she turned fully toward the dark Inkbird while the director watched incredulously, his expression turning to shock as he realized her choice.

He must’ve been confident that she would choose the Dovelight.

Unfortunately, she pointed at the mech beside it. “This one. I want the Inkbird.”

 

This... isn't a cliffhanger, is it? >.> It's just a normal scene end
Next Chapter: Inkbird

31