Chapter 70: Task Force Normandy – Onward!
168 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The joint military operation between the two divisions wasn't exactly unprecedented, but the sight of them now barreling towards the enemy was still striking. Leading the charge were Shruss' 1st Armor Division, their heavy armored Abrams and Pumas acting as a battering ram. The goblins served as a shield, safeguarding the lighter 1st Infantry Division comprised of LAVs, Strykers, and artillery pieces.

From a bird's-eye view, the tanks and armored vehicles rumbled across the snow-covered terrain from their staging area towards Saven. A formidable force of 180 tanks, 226 IFVs, 300 Strykers, and 30 artillery units and MLRS were unleashed in this coordinated assault. Their combined might descended upon Saven with relentless fury, while the remaining units held defensive positions in New Glacier. This combat team, known informally as Task Force Normandy, consisted of two armored brigade combat teams and one Stryker brigade combat team.

As the tanks and IFVs plowed through the snow, they kicked up clouds of frost and earth, with the Strykers trailing behind, guarding the supply trucks traveling along the main road connecting Saven and New Glacier. Meanwhile, the Strykers covered their flanks by venturing off-road.

Shruss issued commands to the commander of the 1st ABCT, directing, "Lancaster, I need you to deploy one of your battalions to address the largest encampment in the north, while the rest proceed directly to Saven. I'll assign 2nd ABCT to clear the south."

"Copy that, Wolfpack," came the acknowledgment.

Twelve Abrams tanks and four IFVs veered off from the main offensive line, heading northward. The drone camera panned to reveal a smoking encampment nestled in the northern terrain. It bore the hallmark of a typical military encampment, with rows of tents stretching outwards. Dominating the scene was the largest tent at the center, likely serving as the command post.

Soldiers were already entrenched in their positions, some taking cover behind sandbags while others manned cannons aimed outward, poised to repel any infantry assault. Among them, a few figures stood out as magicians, presumably tasked with warding off projectiles or other mystical defenses.

"Wolfpack, this is Lancaster. We're considering a bombing run on the encampment. Requesting a CBU-103 strike to soften their defenses," Lancaster radioed in.

"Copy that, Lancaster. Playtime is zero plus five. Just feed the coordinates into your tac terminal," Shruss replied.

"Much appreciated. Transmitting coordinates now. Lancaster out."

The CBU-103, a cluster bomb carrying approximately 202 bomblets each, proved to be a formidable weapon, ideal for neutralizing a concentration of unprotected infantry, such as those within the encampment to the north. The drone camera remained fixed on the encampment, its laser designator pinpointing the target for the incoming B-1 bomber.

Meanwhile, soaring high above, the B-1 bomber stealthily approached its mark, its sleek silhouette barely perceptible against the vast expanse of sky. The bomber flew at such altitude to evade detection from below and to ensure optimal dispersal of the bomblets upon release. As the aircraft reached its designated drop zone, the CBU-103s were unleashed, guided by the drone's laser.

Upon detonation, the CBU-103 bomblets rained down upon the encampment, unleashing devastation across a wide radius. Tents were torn asunder, sandbag defenses obliterated, and coalition soldiers caught in the open were ravaged by the explosive onslaught, each bomblet detonating with the force of a small hand grenade.

The once-formidable cannons lay in ruins, their crews among the casualties of the strike. Despite the presence of magicians, their efforts to shield the encampment proved futile against the ferocity of the CBU-103 bombardment, leaving the defense in tatters. The effectiveness of the cluster bomb against densely packed, unarmored targets was undeniable, reducing the encampment to a scene of utter devastation.

With the encampment reduced to rubble, the first battalion moved in to secure the area, their task now one of cleanup amidst the ruins. Tanks led the advance, followed by troops dismounting from the Pumas trailing behind the Abrams. Their progress met little resistance, with coalition forces either eliminated or scattered, their command structure likely in disarray.

However, a sudden turn of events occurred as figures within the encampment began waving white flags. The vengeful goblins and demons, dismounting from the Puma IFVs, confronted this unexpected development. These individuals were perceived as war criminals by the goblins and demons, who had a fraught history with humans, particularly those aligned with the coalition forces.

"Wolfpack, reporting a development here. The enemy is surrendering, over," Lancaster promptly relayed the situation, as expected.

Under the rules of engagement, shooting at surrendering soldiers was strictly prohibited. Despite harboring deep animosity towards humans, especially given the predominant presence of goblins within his battalion, who often faced discrimination, Shruss recognized the necessity of adhering to protocol. Though dealing with prisoners of war was a nuisance, and sentiment against them ran high among the troops, Shruss made the call to accept the surrenders and deploy a medical team, a decision he hoped was the right one.

"Copy that, Wolfpack. We're following protocol. Let's hope for the best, over," Lancaster acknowledged.

"Let's indeed. Carry on with the assault. Wolfpack out."

Meanwhile, the main offensive line pressed forward towards Saven, the combined strength of Task Force Normandy, boasting tanks, IFVs, and Strykers, leaving little doubt about the operation's success. The subsequent clean-up was anticipated to be swift and thorough.

F-15s marked multiple encampments in the surrounding area, guiding B-1 bombers to unleash merciless bombardments upon them, knowing no civilians were present. Cluster bombs and remaining JDAMs were deployed, darkening the morning sky with plumes of smoke rising from the decimated encampments. Hussar and Shruss strategically deployed their forces to sweep through the sites, clearing out any remaining resistance.

As Task Force Normandy advanced towards Saven, their momentum slowed, not due to coalition resistance, but because of the increasing number of prisoners of war. Following the initial onslaught, many enemy troops across various encampments opted to surrender, necessitating a shift in focus to guarding and managing the growing number of POWs, thus momentarily impeding their progress.

The mass surrender of coalition forces across numerous encampments introduced an unexpected twist to Task Force Normandy's advance. While the Federation's overwhelming firepower and technological prowess had initially seemed to ensure a swift victory, the sudden influx of POWs now demanded a significant recalibration of their operational strategy.

With more and more coalition soldiers laying down their arms and signaling surrender, Shruss and Hussar found themselves thrust into a dual role as both military commanders and humanitarian operators. The unexpected surrender of the coalition troops caught them off guard, especially considering their initial intent to engage in a relentless battle. They had anticipated facing a foe as resolute and steadfast as themselves, yet instead encountered an enemy overwhelmed by the sheer might of the Federation, opting for surrender over certain defeat.

"Damn, and here I was expecting them to put up a fight to the bitter end," Hussar cursed, his words echoing the disbelief rippling through the Federation ranks.

As the realization dawned that the coalition forces were capitulating en masse, a sense of incredulity permeated the atmosphere among the Federation troops. Hussar's frustration vocalized the abrupt shift in dynamics on the battlefield, where the anticipated clash of titans had given way to a swift and unexpected surrender.

"Remember when you likened this operation to the Gulf War? I didn't envision this kind of outcome," Shruss lamented to Lukas, the chief of staff. Despite Lukas's earlier warnings regarding the Federation's overwhelming advantages, the ease with which the coalition surrendered still took them by surprise.

As the march towards Saven persisted, albeit at a slower pace, the remaining armored and infantry battalions pressed onward, albeit with a notable portion of Task Force Normandy's resources diverted to managing the influx of POWs. Despite the anticipation of encountering resistance, Federation forces met little opposition as they approached Saven, a possible consequence of the thorough eradication carried out by the SRD.

Eventually, the operation reached its climax as the final tank rolled into the desolate streets of the town, and a Federation flag was triumphantly raised amidst the rubble of the town hall. Bell couldn't help but smile, relishing in the sweet taste of victory. Now, with the battle won, his focus shifted towards the arduous tasks of reconciliation and reconstruction, and he had a plan in mind.

[After Action Reports: 11,300 Humans Killed, 100 Elves Killed]

[84,000,000 EP Rewarded, 1,130,000 EXP Rewarded]

[Level Up]

[Quest Completed: Army Management Is Now Unlocked. You Can Turn Active Duty into Reservist Now]

7