Chapter 76: Operation Northern Blackout
581 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=A Month Later=

Back at the JB Frostwood command center, the atmosphere was bustling with activity. People moved about, either acquainting themselves with new surveillance and reconnaissance technology or grappling with the reality of the army's rapid expansion, all in preparation for a potential threat that may or may not materialize.

The primary objective of the operation was to establish a defensive line, predominantly utilizing natural barriers. This defensive strategy unfolded in two stages. The first stage involved fortifying a defensive line along the river, now free of winter's icy grip. The river curved from the east, encircling both New Glacier and Frostwood towards the north.

As the water thawed completely, signaling the end of winter, Bell took note of Lukas's progress with satisfaction.

[Military Management] [Current Manager: Lukas Bauer | +80% Damage Done To Enemy Units, -10% Training Time, +15% Logistic Cost]

  • Military Default Skill Level: 6
  • Summoned/Recruited Troops: 600,000/10,553,632 (Reservist Included)
  • Current Doctrine: Regular Doctrine
  • Summoned Race: Demonic Variation Adjusted

Standard Equipment: H&K 416 + M157 Scope, IOTV Gen V + Level V Plates, FAST MK-2/IHPS-A2, Advanced Awareness Kit: ENVG-B/ARNVG-36, Peltor Comtac IX, AN/PRC 163 MOD-4, Samsung S25U(V-32A)-ME

Upkeep: 1,200,000,000 EP/Month

Lukas explained that the new kit, dubbed the Future-Generation Soldier Loadout, was part of a program called "Bullhound," which came with a hefty price tag of 20,000 EPs per soldier, even after all the discounts Bell managed to secure. Hanna nearly had a stroke upon hearing this, and only the heavens knew what kind of persuasive tactics Lukas employed to convince her of the necessity for these upgrades.

Despite the staggering cost, out of the 600,000 troops currently at their disposal, 400,000 were reservists diverted to work in high-tech industries within the Federation. These industries included companies like Shruss’s Green Instruments, Hussar’s Advanced Energy, Eldrin’s A&A Micro Devices, and numerous others whose owners Bell wasn't even acquainted with. All of this was geared towards maximizing their earnings in EPs for infrastructure development.

In essence, the abundance of companies within the Federation and their ability to sell goods to the commissary terminal further fueled their economic drive to produce increasingly expensive products in exchange for larger EP returns. Simply put, the research and development teams at the facility were working tirelessly, pushing the boundaries of science and magic like never before.

Meanwhile, the RAA was also expanding, at least in terms of capability. With the addition of the SR-72B to their fleet and satellite surveillance in the air, they could effectively cover vast distances from one end of the planet to the other. Currently, their focus was on high-speed reconnaissance over the southern regions beyond the mountain range, aiming to assess the enemy's strength and movements.

The numbers they reported were nothing short of staggering. A total of 200 divisions were mobilizing southward from the northern mountain range, comprising a formidable force of 5,000,000 individuals prepared to fight to the bitter end. And that estimate was conservative, considering the widespread willingness among people to join the fray against an enemy they desperately wished to defeat. It was a war for survival, not just for Bell's side, but for theirs as well. Securing manpower for the coalition wouldn't pose much of a challenge, that was certain.

To compound the already dire situation, the husks that inhabited the former territory of the Empire sided with the coalition, meaning they wouldn't attack the coalition's soldiers. The primary strategic objective was to reclaim the Empire's territory, situated south of the northern mountain range. In Lisa's assessment, they were not only facing human wave attacks but also contending with zombies—an absolute nightmare. However, for the time being, their utmost priority was to establish a secure area for buildup.

Once they fortified a defensive line along the Maruno River, they could turn their attention to launching a counteroffensive towards the south, unimpeded and with a greater number of troops than Bell could ever imagine, all of whom were highly trained professionals. And that's not even mentioning the array of newly purchased hardware, ranging from heavy ICBMs like the LGM-118 "Peacekeeper II" to more agile assault drones for frontline soldiers. It was safe to say that the next war would unfold in a rather intriguing manner, given their preparation against a formidable adversary from the outset.

Someone knocked on the door, prompting Bell to invite them in.

"Come in," he said.

Lisa entered the room, holding a file in her hand.

"More reports?" Bell inquired.

"From your favorite intel agent, as usual," Lisa replied.

"Aya? What's she done now?" Bell questioned.

"Take a look for yourself," Lisa suggested, handing over the file.

=Section 1-2 Gamma - Aya Hoshino - Joker=

Walking through the halls of Fort Normolus, Major Albert Gavil carried a sense of pride. He had successfully safeguarded his men and justified his decision to retreat from the fort to his superiors. Despite this, with magical units advancing toward the mountain range, Gavil anticipated his reassignment to the front lines. He was certain Aya had influenced his unexpected promotion from captain to major—a feat beyond his reach as a former lieutenant and court magician without political leverage.

After a long day of strategizing with coalition partners for the upcoming Spring offensive, Gavil yearned for nothing more than a restful night. Entering his quarters through a rusted steel door, he immediately sensed another's presence. The room's dim lighting contrasted sharply with the palpable tension.

Leaning against his work table, cluttered with maps and documents, Gavil attempted to cut through the tension with humor. "There's my favorite girl, or should I say, woman?" His words echoed slightly in the tight space, failing to lighten the atmosphere.

A few feet away, Aya stood with her arms crossed, an eyebrow raised inquisitively. "How did it go?" she asked, probing not just about Gavil's day but also about her own covert efforts. She had infiltrated HQ to secure Gavil's reinstatement and persuade the command of the dire threat looming in the north. Aya had painted a picture of an invincible force poised to ensure humanity's extinction if left unchecked—a narrative crafted to mobilize action against deeply ingrained prejudices.

Gavil struck a match, the brief flare momentarily illuminating his face, casting deep shadows that played across his features. As he lit his cigar, the glow highlighted the weary lines around his eyes and the stubble on his chin. "Well, Holy Solis Empire and other kingdoms rallied its people for a war of survival. Bottom line, you have 210 Divisions at the very least marching towards the northern mountain range " he began, the smoke curling around him as he recounted the mobilization efforts.

"That's a lot of people to be moved at the same time," Aya remarked, her gaze drifting to the maps, tracing the routes over the mountain range with a finger, the logistical nightmare vivid in her mind. There were only twenty valleys in which they could cross over without thinking too much about the mountain’s coldness.

Gavil’s chuckle carried a note of genuine respect. "Just one name for you: Shirai."

Aya’s brow furrowed. "The one known for storage magic, right?"

"Storage magic?" Gavil shook his head, a smile playing at the corners of his mouth. "No, Aya, that boy crafted a portal that our troops marched through. And his pockets? They might as well be endless, capable of holding an army."

Aya raised an eyebrow, her tone laced with skepticism. "A portal, you say? Sounds like typical otherworldly nonsense."

Gavil leaned in slightly, his voice a mix of amusement and seriousness. "You shouldn't be so surprised. You had your share of extraordinary abilities as well, remember?"

"Let's save that story for another time," Aya replied, deflecting with a slight wave of her hand.

Gavil nodded, seamlessly transitioning. "There’s someone you should be aware of—Anika Faber. She’s the mastermind behind the bio-weaponry on our side."

"Anika Faber..." Aya repeated, mulling over the name. "It doesn’t ring any bells."

"Of course not. She's from another world too, from a place called Großgermanisches Reich, or something to that effect. I'm not entirely sure," Gavil said, the glow from his cigar casting fleeting shadows across his face. "You better be cautious around that woman; she's dangerously capable on her own. If she decided she wanted us dead, she'd likely find a way to make it happen."

Aya nodded, her expression thoughtful yet tinged with a hint of concern. The idea of facing an adversary from a world that harbored such dark ideologies was unsettling, to say the least. "I'll keep it in mind," she assured him, though her mind raced with the potential implications. "Since you've shared a wealth of tactical and strategic insights with us, what can I offer you in return?"

Gavil’s request was direct, his eyes searching Aya’s for understanding. "What I need is simple: a location for your next offensive. I have no intention of sending my men into a slaughter like those at the helm of the Northern Fleet, who seem more in the dark than informed."

Aya’s response was immediate, yet she spoke with regret. "I can’t disclose that, Gavil. I'm sorry."

He sighed, a mixture of frustration and resignation in the sound. "I see. But you remember me, don't you? The things I've done for you?" His tone hinted at a shared past, a connection deeper than their recent acquaintance suggested.

Aya was taken aback, confusion clouding her features. "We've only known each other for a few months. What are you referring to?"

Gavil smiled, a wistful, knowing expression. "Believe me, it's more than you think. But that's a conversation for another time. For now, just a heads up: good luck with your mission."

Aya frowned, puzzled by his parting words. "That's an unusual thing to hear from an enemy."

He stood, preparing to leave, his silhouette framed by the dim light. "Not an enemy, Aya. Let's just say, a mutual friend with a complicated history."

7