20 – Patience is a Virtue
98 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were a lot of people in the restaurant that day; fortunately, they were able to sit in a spot by the window where they could see some flowers in the garden.

Henry was anxious to hear Amy's answer. He thought she would not be that emotional if it was not a big deal.

As soon as they finished ordering, Henry fired away.

"I am so ready to listen," he blurted out reminding her of their agreement.

Amy chuckled, "So impatient like a spoiled kid asking to buy him a toy."

Henry did not speak; he crossed his arms showing her that he was waiting.

"Alright, alright…" she took a deep breath before giving out her answer.

"You're the first one to give me red roses. I received other kinds of flowers before but not red roses. It's only my Mom and Mary who know it's my favorite. It is so common but still no one ever thought of giving it to me."

Henry was not moving at all but still had this look that was waiting for her to explain further.

Amy doesn't want to give out more details; she doesn't want to look naive or immature to Henry. When she was young her mom used to teach her some values and beliefs in life like most parents do. And one of them is patience.

She lost trust in some of those teachings after her mom passed away. Who can blame her when she went through a lot of challenges in life?

Henry couldn't wait any longer and wanted to extort more from her. "No secrets Amy…" he said impatiently with a now raised brow.

She sighed heavily at his tenacity. "Fine, but don't laugh or mock me after."

Henry's hand signed 'cross my heart and hope to die,' while taking a sip from his drink.

"When I was young, my mom said that if something is meant for me it will happen. I just have to be patient. When I asked her, how would I know if it was already given to me?

She said perhaps I should choose a sign that is meaningful to me, something feasible, and pray hard for it to be granted. So since that day, it became a habit, whenever I will do something big or wish for something arduous then I pray and look for a sign," she explained casually without giving too much detail.

"So is the result always good?" He asks curiously.

"Most of the time, yes, but after the accident, I stopped doing it. Rather, I stopped believing in it."

Henry understood what she meant and avoided asking more questions involving the tragedy.

"Are the red roses one of the signs you've asked for?" He asked.

Amy was conflicted internally about what should she say. She saw how her parents loved each other and she wanted to have the same love if ever she had her own family someday.

It all dissipated after she lost them. It was replaced by pain, a feeling so excruciating that she wanted to avoid it at all costs.

Being alone for her is better than facing that torment again. She thinks that she might not survive it the second time around.

However, she knows that this persistent man in front of her will not take no for an answer. She must give him an answer without disclosing the reason behind it. He doesn't want to give him false hope when she herself is still figuring out and sorting her feelings.

"I asked the heavens to send me an angel and now here you are helping me with hospital bills and even going over and beyond," she smiled and hoped that it would satisfy his curiosity.

"Hmm, why do I feel that it is just half of the story?" He wittily replied.

Henry was right; she could not tell him that she prayed for her knight-in-shining armor to arrive in her life with a bouquet of red roses. She gave up on waiting a long time ago and has completely forgotten about it, until today.

People might call her naive or whatnot, but for Amy what happened today was heaven-sent. Henry was already her miracle in saving her nephew. She thought that God must have not forgotten her and instead reminded her that she must not give up on love.

He is already right in front of her and the heavens approve of it. All she has to do is open her heart and accept it, which she is considering doing.

The thought of having someone to rely on instead of being alone is not a bad idea. Like her, Henry has no parents or siblings, an experience that they both share.

Both of them are in pain because of their past, and it would be great if they could lessen that agony by creating new happy memories together.

Amy was about to rebut when the waitress brought their food. She hopes that the appetizing meal in front of them will redirect Henry's attention. It was not the case though. He continued with his interrogation.

"And where did you learn to fight?" He started cutting the meat on his plate while making sure he made a few glances at Amy to gauge if she would tell the truth or not.

Amy has no problem telling him her childhood story about her martial arts skills but then she remembered that most of her childhood memory is with Ash.

It will be difficult to remove him from the equation once Henry probes further.

"My brother and I took private lessons at home. Don't get me wrong, I am not that good. My father wanted me to learn some defensive moves and made sure I mastered those, so I did," she explained without looking at him.

And just as she predicted, Henry was already thinking of something. "When did you become friends with Ash, did he study with you and your brother too?"

"Since we were very young, I don't remember the exact year or my age then. It was my brother who became friends with him first since they were about the same age," she tried her best to avoid this conversation as much as possible.

"Let's not talk about him, please. It will only ruin your mood, then mine," she almost begged.

Henry did not say anything he just nodded and continued eating his food.

"Do you have any plans after this?" Amy asked.

"I was going to ask you the same, where would you want to go next?" Henry replied.

"I want to go home after I buy some roses. Can I plant some in your garden?" Her eyes were pleading like a hungry puppy asking for food. She tried to pout as cutely as she could to gain Henry's approval.

Her expression made him chuckle. "You can do whatever you want in the house. Ask Charles or Demi if you need anything else while I am away. Are you sure you don't want to visit other places anymore?"

"I've got everything I need," she playfully waves her phone to him as proof that she took a lot of pictures already. "I also need to do something at home later."

As soon as they finished their lunch, Amy bought different kinds of flowering plants and indoor plants that she planned to grow in Henry's house, the cafe, and the farm.

Amy bought a lot of plants, too many that won't fit Henry's car. Amy was embarrassed after she saw the garden staff line up everything.

"Goodness, I didn't know I purchased that much," Amy said while her hands were on her cheeks trying to hide her embarrassment.

Henry gave his card to one of the staff and told them to have it delivered to his address. Amy tried to stop him but he was adamant about paying for that truckload of greenery.

He wrapped his arm around her waist and encouraged her, "This is actually good, my love. Our house needs more love and attention; you're the perfect person for that. This will keep you busy while I'm away."

"Thank you," was all that she could say while still feeling incredulous about her impulsive splurge, how home Henry is referring to his house as their house when they are not married?

As soon as they got home, Henry informed the gardener about an incoming plant shipment which made his eyes glitter in both excitement and happiness.

Ever since Henry moved back to their family home, he never bothered to spend money on the garden. Most of the previous plants died after years of neglect and the gardener that he hired tried his best to save what he could which are mostly trees, bushes, and some perennials.

When Demi, the head maid heard them arrive she approached Henry and Amy. "Welcome back Mr. Welsh, Ms. Bell. I forgot to ask earlier what kind of clothes I should pack for your trip, sir."

"Business and casual for 14 days," Henry replied meekly then faced Amy.

"I'll be in my study, go to me once you're done with what you plan to do," Amy nodded.

When Henry was far away enough to not hear what she would say, she moved closer to Demi.

"Can I help you with packing his things?" She murmured to Demi.

The head maid was surprised; no one had ever asked her before like that. All of his boss' previous women do not even talk to them unless they need something and are only there to please their boss in bed.

Amy was different she thought, which made her smile, thinking that their boss might have finally found his match.

Amy surprised herself too. She doesn't know what came to her mind. She suddenly felt the urge to take care of Henry but she cannot do it alone because she doesn't know what things Henry needs. So instead of taking over, she asks Demi if she can help, perhaps next time she can do it on her own.

If it was the heavens who were pushing her towards Henry then she would try her best to slowly let him into her heart. Maybe it's time for her to let herself heal and let other people in.

0