11. Recruitment
140 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kanon's PoV

We finally arrived at the hospital and received treatment for our wounds. Especially for me, and the mercenary girl named Kaede.

If you are wondering if our wounds were stitched or how, with the help of technology, such things are not needed. Thanks to nanotechnology, body cells, muscle tissue, and skin can be regenerated in one go, depending on how severe the injury is, and our injuries could be considered light. Because of this, Kaede and I do not have any visible scars and our skin is smooth again.

Thank you, future technology!

On one hand, the clothing I wore also had such technology, so it repaired itself, leaving only my blood stains behind. Kaede was surprised by this fact because this type of clothes are expensive and rare, although it does not have defensive capabilities. I also had the same expression, but thinking about something else. Knowing that the in-game clothing had this kind of ability, I guess I should be thankful for it because this is my favorite clothing model, which comes from the limited edition Cambrian series, and I had to buy it no matter what to enhance my character.

"I don't want this to be damaged no matter what..."

Wait a minute, did I just feel happy about this clothing? Clothing that should be for women...??

I felt a little depressed because of many subtle changes in my inherent nature now...

"Kanon, are you okay? Is there still something hurting?"

Glancing to the side, I could see Satsuki with a worried expression as she looked at me.

...And this idiot protagonist ... Because of him, I have to think about a lot of things in one day too. He even has two girls in his grasp already! It's scary how he can quickly capture their hearts without doing much of importance things. All men should be jealous of him.

This fool even went to look for me in the dangerous District 5, not knowing if I was there or not. Besides, he also had to go through battles there to save a girl. Luckily someone was with him, or else he might have become a corpse with how naive he was. Thank goodness he's safe.

"Not something you need to worry about. Besides, let's get something to eat. I haven't eaten anything since I got off from Genesis."

"Good idea! I'm a little hungry too after moving around."

Kaede replied enthusiastically.

I immediately looked at the awkward girl, Vermilia, to ask for her opinion.

"How about you?"

"I-I'm fine, I don't need to eat, and I have to go."

Seeing her slightly thin body and trembling legs, I wasn't sure about that. She seemed like she never ate. She clearly didn't have money to buy anything. Especially being found in a slum area.

"We'll pay for it. And please don't go because there's something I want to discuss with you. We'll do it while eating."

"... Is it okay? I don't want to bother you any further. You even saved me. I-I don't have anything worth your attention. And also, I smell bad and probably wouldn't be accepted in the restaurant."

"I'll take care of that somehow."

Then I nudged Satsuki as a signal. I wasn't very good at dealing with people, especially girls.

She quickly understood my intent as she turned to look at Vermilia with a friendly smile.

"Trust ne. My captain is a reliable person. Although she may seem cold, she is a good person."

Thank you for your compliments, but that's not what I meant. Also, since when did I become your captain? Are you perhaps one of the SSR characters I've collected from the gacha?

"How about it, do you want to join us?" Satsuki asked, looking at Vermilia.

Vermilia, who was hesitant, glanced between us for a moment before making a decision.

"A-Alright. Just for a while."

"Great."

And so it was decided.

---

"A-Aren't we supposed to go eat? Why are we in front of a clothes store?"

Confusion was written on Vermilia and Satsuki's faces. Meanwhile, Kaede smirked while looking at me.

Ignoring her, I answered their confusion while pushing them inside.

"Didn't you say you'd be rejected if you tried to enter a restaurant  with that looking? That's why I decided to take care of it."

"Y-You mean..."

"Yes, I'll buy you new clothes."

"Ehh!? B-But—"

Before Vermilia could refuse, a middle-aged female employee came to welcome us.

"Welcome! Oh~ it's you guys from last time. Want to buy something again?"

Indeed, this was the store I had visited before with Satsuki, where we received a bonus bottle we thought contained a regular drink.

Setting aside my grudge against her, this was a memorable place and conveniently close to where we were. So I chose to visit this place again.

"Yes, I want to buy her new clothes. But first, is there a bathroom?"

"I live here, so yeah."

"In that case, please help her freshen up. Then give her clothes that you think suit her, including underwear. And don't use any strange preferences. I'll pay for all the expenses later."

"Got it!"

She quickly noted everything I said on her terminal. After that, she smiled at me and Satsuki.

"Oh, right. How was that night?"

She asked with a teasing smile.

I clearly understood what she meant. Satsuki blushed and scratched the back of his head, probably recalling what happened that night.

I don't know what kind of expression I had on my face, but I'm pretty sure it was horrifying.

"... Just take care of her first, please."

My voice even trembled.

"Haha, I'm sorry for asking such an intimate question. Alright then! Wait here, and I will make this girl beautiful!"

She said while dragging Vermilia.

"Awawawa..."

Vermilia, who couldn't process what was happening, just made a robotic sound as she was being dragged along. She was clearly confused.

"...."

An awkward silence fell between Satsuki and me. I don't know what kind of expression he had on his face now because we were looking in different directions.

Kaede seemed to pretend not to know what was happening as she approached me and whispered.

"It seems like you're quite fond of that girl."

The girl she referred to was Vermilia. From the looks of it, she had understood my intentions in bringing her here.

I also whispered back.

"Indeed. Besides, you were subtly pushing Satsuki by saying upsetting things to her. It must be for this reason, right? You are a kind woman, Miss Kaede."

Surprised by my words, she widening her eyes. She didn't expect me to see through her intentions.

Satsuki had told me everything Kaede had said to him. Her indifferent remarks to Satsuki about people like Vermilia in this place, every word she uttered carried suggestiveness to bring her. It might not have a strong effect on someone like me, but for Satsuki, who are gentle especially towards girls, her words sounded more like the voice of an evil spirit haunting him to do something to ease his resentment. So I could easily understand her intentions through that.

Caught off guard, Kaede, who was stunned, grinned as she chuckled softly.

"Haha, you are a very intriguing person. So that's how it is, huh. I guess I don't need to worry about Satsuki and that girl if they're in your hands."

"I feel honored to hear that, but I am also a beginner. There are still many things I need to pay attention to, so maybe I will need guidance from you in the future."

"If for you, someone from fighting race ask for guidance from me, I will be happy to help."

She said while patting my shoulder.

... The battle race, huh. So they still use that name here.

"Thinking about it, why are you interested with Satsuki, Miss Kaede."

Asking her with an uninterested face, I secretly looked at her reaction. It is actually quite strange for a foreign mercenary like her to suddenly approach Satsuki. Although she saved him from some people, she could still part ways with him after that, but she still persisted with him and even became a guide, and helped him to find me. And she had to be hurt when facing people in District 5 for the sake of Satsuki's selfishness. She didn't gain any benefit from doing all that. It's not that I suspect her of having hidden intentions, but her actions make me curious, so I want to know the reason.

"..."

Kaede paused for a moment, before exhaling with a bitter smile. She briefly glanced at Satsuki, who was staring at his terminal and seemed to be looking for clothes to distract his mind. But with my sharp peripheral vision, I could see that he secretly ordered a maid uniform with a cute touch.

... I'll punish that scoundrel later.

In a low voice, Kaede replied.

"Well, his face and behavior remind me of someone from the past."

Her expression hinted at nostalgia, but from the gloomy emotions in her eyes, I'm not sure if the past she mentioned was filled with good things.

... Everyone has a past, so I better not ask further.

Kaede also seemed to avoid this topic by talking about something else, and changing her expression to a brighter one.

"Well, his face also indicate that he's a true beginner, so as her senior, I should take care of him for a while. And here, I often take care of beginners like him, you know."

She said proudly while straightening her back. Her large chest also slightly trembled when she did so.

... Are you showing it off to me? Did you just show off your fatty chest to me?

Ignoring the complaints in my heart, she then slowly approached my ear and whispered.

"Oh, and also, if by any chance he falls in love with me and I take him from you, don't be too angry, okay."

Add her with a mischievous grin.

Is that some kind of declaration of war? I can only shake my head with a small laugh at how childish she is.

"I'm more worried that the opposite will happen and you have to join as a crew member on my ship in the future, Miss Kaede."

You just don't understand Satsuki, whom I call the protagonist of the real world novel. A person who can take the hearts of girls with many trashy plots that you can find in any romantic comedy novel. We'll see who reaches the final conclusion later.

Not understanding my point, Kaede raised her eyebrows slightly with a puzzled expression.

"You'll understand in the future, and when that happens, please cooperate with him."

I said with a friendly smile as if I had accepted her as a recruit.

"You are the weirdest person I have ever met. I thought you would be jealous of my words because I want to steal your boyfriend."

Who are you calling weird? Also, who are you calling his girlfriend?

"My relationship with him is only as close friends, nothing more."

"Hmm, I don't believe that."

She said with narrowed eyes.

"..."

Whatever. I don't want to discuss it anymore. I have felt like I have an ambiguous relationship with Satsuki since entering this world.

"By the way, how old are you?"

"I am 18 years old."

In my answer, Kaede looked incredulous.

What? That is indeed my age!!

"You don't look that age. You look like you're only 14 to 15 years old."

Indeed, with my height not reaching 167 centimeters without the help of my ears, and a slightly slim body, I might look younger. Vermilia, who is around 16 years old, also looks more mature than me. Satsuki in here looks like in his early 20s with hiscurrent body. With that, I'm the only one who looks like a child...

What can I do because this is a character in a game that I created with my own passion... I somehow regret not making them a little taller.

But my age remains the same even in that situation!!!

"I'm 18."

Once again I said it with a firm voice.

"Okay, okay. I believe in you."

Although she replied like that, her face still didn't believe what I said.

I am 18!!!

Curious about our conversation, Satsuki joined in our conversation.

"What are you talking about?"

Before I could answer, Kaede interrupted with a mischievous grin towards me.

A bad feeling started to arise when I saw her like that.

"It's nothing. It's just that I can't believe that you guys would be so fierce in bed with so much passion. Yet your attitudes towards each other are very cold. Kyaa~ I'm so surprised~ my little junior actually has a lewd nature like that!"

Embracing herself with a strange gesture, Kaede managed to make Satsuki feel embarrassed as her face began to blush. She then looked at me with disbelief while unable to speak.

Don't look at me like that, I am surprised by what she said too!! How can this woman suddenly discuss lewd things!

"K-Kanon, you..."

"I never said that, you jerk!"

I couldn't keep my composure because he was trying to reveal his own secrets.

"Ehh, so your relationship is real?"

Kaede, who returned to normal, looked back between me and Satsuki. But I could clearly see her lips curling upwards slightly.

"T-That’s..."

Satsuki, who wanted to respond, immediately fell silent when I glanced sharply at him. If he said something else, it would only add more holes to be patched up in vain because his mouth couldn't be trusted.

"...."

"...."

In the end, our atmosphere became awkward again.

"Pffahaha...."

Indeed, the atmosphere was like that, ignoring Kaede who was trying to hold back her laughter behind us.

Ahh, if only she were an inanimate object, I might have already slashed her repeatedly with my Shading Blade by now.

Fortunately, the awkward atmosphere didn't last long as someone touched the edge of my mantle. I almost didn't pay attention to my surroundings because my head was filled with embarrassment.

Turning my neck towards the source, a girl with a shy face and slightly teary eyes looked at me with an almost crying gaze.

"Vermilia?"

Ohh, finally she became beautiful that I was also stunned.

7