5. Military Base
216 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We went to the military base first because it was closer, and to collect the bounty from the previous pirates, and to sell our loot including rare metals on the ship. It was too much of a burden to bring expensive items with us because we were likely to be targeted.

"Wow, you did a good job defeating the pirates."

Said a receptionist in a pleasant tone. Her long blonde hair and sharp beautiful eyes made her look pretty. She looked like she was in her early 20 and looked very suited for her job.

But there was something off about her.

There were some mercenaries who also had business here, but strangely they looked stiff and nervous when they looked at the woman as if she were their biggest fear. I suspected that she was not an ordinary person here so I looked at her cautiously.

In addition, I could also feel their occasional glances towards me. This was strange, my appearance should not be as striking as Satsuki's, right? Why was I being looked at here?

"The money for their bounty and the proceeds from the rare metals and spare parts have been sent to your account. Please check your terminal if you want to make sure."

As she said, I took out my terminal portable and saw my account balance increase. This terminal portable was like a smartphone from Earth, but with a transparent screen. It could also connect to the ship, including Crypto, and had the same uses as a phone, as well as being a tool for transactions. Money was no longer printed in this era, and was replaced by electronic currency called Krona. I at least had 1,500,000 Krona in my account when I checked. I was a little disappointed because my money should have been hundreds of times than that, but at least we had money rather than nothing at all. And now, after defeating each pirate ship, and selling all the spare parts and rare metals, my money had increased to 4,500,000 Krona. Most of the money came from selling rare metals, so I was grateful that the object that brought disaster at the beginning could be useful here.

"Also I intend to sell information about the pirates' lair, how much is the price for that?"

The woman squinted at me as I said that.

"Are you sure this information can be trusted?"

"I hacked their ship's data, so I'm pretty sure. Besides, their direction of travel also matches the coordinates and adds evidence to it."

The woman pondered for a moment before looking at me with her business smile.

"Like I expected from your race, you are quite intriguing. Sir over there, your lover is a rare person, so take care of her. Are you the captain?"

Her gaze shifted to Satsuki. It seemed she misunderstood his identity here.

Meanwhile, Satsuki scratched the back of his head and let out a nervous laugh.

"I'm not the captain, and my relationship with her—"

"So, will you buy this information?"

I asked, interrupting Satsuki's words. I didn't want to spend too much time here.

"Gosh, so cold. Are you jealous because I talking to him?"

The woman pouted cutely as she crossed her arms.

"Well, it's up to you. Alright, I'll buy it for 250,000 Krona for 1 of their bases according to the applicable rules, and 20% will be given to you for now. The rest will be sent after our intelligence has checked it."

"When will they finish their investigation?"

"About 1 month."

One month, huh. I guess it's not a problem.

We will stay here during that time, and if we leave and disappear from here with the money, and it turns out that the information we provided is false, we will become fugitives from the military. Or that's what I heard. Of course, if this information is wrong, we will return the money and pay the intelligence costs.

Well, I am certainly confident in the information we have, so I'm not too worried.

"Alright."

I then gave her the coordinate data. Shortly after, the money entered my account. I had 3 coordinates of their bases after hacking the pirate ship's data, so with this I got 150,000 Krona for now. The rest will come later after 1 month.

It feels good to get easy money.

"This makes me curious. You agreed to buy information from us without the approval of your leader. Who are you really?"

I might not be someone familiar with military procedures, but at least I know that agreeing to a major proposal without informing leader is not normal. Unless the person has a higher rank.

"Who am I?"

The woman gave a wide smile as she squinted.

The strange atmosphere changed. The people queuing behind us and the other mercenaries all ran out of here with fearful faces.

!!

My instincts suddenly rose as I felt a chill. I immediately grabbed Satsuki's shoulder tightly, causing him to look surprised by my actions and bow his head. Then I took out the black cartridge with each in my hands and activated them.

The rushing wind resounded as the sound of metal clashing rang out.

"What is the meaning of this?"

I asked the woman coldly.

A sword similar to a katana glowed with a golden color in both of my hands. One was holding back the silver metal sword in the woman's hand that somehow appeared, while the other was aimed at her neck. Earlier, she had drawn her sword towards Satsuki before pointing it at me. Of course, I'm angry for daring to hurt my friend. If I wasn't quick, he might have been split in two.

"I just wanted to test the fighting abilities of the Luppo race. It's very rare to meet someone like you, you know. Your reflexes and speed are very good."

She replied with a wide grin.

Ignoring her reply that sounded like a maniac, the situation for both of us was equally disadvantageous. While my sword was directed at her neck, she also had a pistol in her left arm and was targeting it at my head. She pulled it out quickly as I managed to block her sword. It only took one move for both of us to end it.

"I want to know if your swords is faster than my gun."

"Want to give it a try?"

The atmosphere between us grew more intense. Our gazes never wavered, even if it was just a blink.

"Alright, that's enough."

But it was interrupted by Satsuki, who aimed his weapons at her.

"Miss, we should stop here. Kanon, you too."

I glanced at Satsuki, who winked at me with one eye. He seemed to want to take control of the situation after managing to contain his surprise.

My gaze shifted back to the blonde-haired girl in front of me, maintaining her smirk.

"Such a shame. I wanted to exchange swords with you."

Then she stopped applying pressure to her sword and pulled it back and lowering her pistol. Following her movement, I deactivated my own sword, and the light slowly faded from its blade, leaving only the hilt. Satsuki also quietly lowered his arms and holstered his pistol.

"You have an intriguing sword there."

She had a curious look in her eyes as she gazed at the hilt of my sword.

Of course, she would be interested because I'm the only one with this blue print in the world. The name of the sword I use is the Shading Blade, and I obtained the blue print through a hidden event with the top score. Satsuki doesn't know about this because I've never shown it to him. The reason of that because I've never used it. That reason being that this sword is easily broken due to its thin blade. The thin blade is necessary to be able to come in and out of the sword's hilt, but even though it's thin, it's strong enough because it's made of a sturdy metal. Its weakness is covered by the small amount of material required and the highly intense thermal energy that covers the entire blade. Besides that, unfortunately, the sword can only last for 20 minutes, and its maximum power can only be maintained for the first 5 minutes, and as time passes, its strength decreases.

I was initially disappointed when I read the description. But it was replaced with admiration when I saw the power of the sword, which could penetrate the energy shield of a small ship, although it required some effort and couldn't penetrate it later on due to gradually running out of energy. But! I managed to remove the weakness of this sword! By making as many as possible and replacing them whenever needed. I could even throw it forward while playing, and it was fun.

Back to reality, I put the cartridge back into my waist bag while she looked down and grabbed something under the table, then she sheathed her sword.

Oh, so she put it under the table. It's really unusual to put something like that there.

"Hmm?"

My ears twitched when I heard footsteps approaching, growing closer to us.

"Secure the area!"

A group of people with special equipment and armed weapons surrounded the entire room, aiming at me and Satsuki. It's clear that they are military personnel based on their coordinated movements.

"Oh dear, just when I was having fun."

That woman shook her head with a displeased expression as if her enjoyment had been interrupted.

"Do you want to know who I am, right?"

She asked as she turned her face towards us.

"My name is Lilian von Ashberg."

Damn, just as I suspected.

"A 5-star officer and the highest leader in this military base."

She's a noble of the empire. Someone we don't want to mess with because it's likely to get involved in a troublesome plot. Or at least that's what Satsuki said.

"Are we going to be detained here?"

I asked calmly.

Pointing weapons at nobles is the same as getting your head chopped off, and even speaking rudely or impolitely in front of them will get you punished in the same way. At least that's what I often read in novels or history books about the Middle Ages. This might also apply here.

"Hey, hey, there's no need to be afraid. You won't be punished. And you guys, please lower your weapons and return to your posts. Thank you for your hard work~"

The soldiers obeyed her words with slumped shoulders, as if they were tired. I could even hear them say, "The princess is causing trouble again," "It's always like this," "This is the fifth time it happened this month," "When will I get a wife," from them. It seems this person is used to pretending to be a receptionist and causing trouble. And what's with the last statement? If you want a wife, then find one!

"Sigh, Your Highness. Please stop causing trouble by pretending to be a receptionist and disturbing newcomers. It disrupts our work."

A sigh came from where the soldiers had disappeared. Looking back, a man in his 50s walked over with a troubled expression. His slightly graying hair was neatly groomed, and his mustache looked well taken care of. His facial expression showed an elegant figure, and the glint in his eyes and his sturdy figure displayed his experience as someone of his age.

Finally, I could meet someone with a rational mind here.

"Come on, Kranel. I'm only interested on them because I rarely see Luppo races. Their ship model is also something I've never seen before!"

The old man named Kranel glanced briefly at me before returning his gaze to Lilian.

"But still, don't cause trouble for others with your actions. If not, I'll report this to your father."

"Fine, fine. Just let me have a little fun."

She replied, puffing up her cheeks. Her way of speaking is very different from the nobles I know.

It seems this man named Kranel is the one who controls Lilian's childish nature. I wonder if he's not stressed dealing with this princess's personality.

Kranel then faced us and bowed his head.

"I apologize for causing trouble for the two of you. You can go, this was our commander's carelessness, so you won't face any consequences."

"A-Ah, there's no need to apologize."

Satsuki quickly stopped the old man from bowing his head.

"You must be having a hard time."

I told him.

Upon hearing my words, Kranel made a sour face. I could sense the suffering he's going through from his expression.

"That's right. This old man is almost going bald because of the trouble caused by her."

"Hey, I'm not like that!"

Lilian complained to Kranel.

"Then we'll take our leave."

"Yeah, take care. I'll keep this troublesome princess in check."

I pulled Satsuki's arm and walked quickly away from there. Staying here is just inviting trouble.

"Ah! Hey! Don't go! I still want to talk with you!"

"Your Highness, please restrain yourself! Stop losing your dignity! Don't act selfishly!"

"What is dignity! I just want to do what I want!"

"That's what you call selfish!"

I could hear Lilian's voice trying to stop us while Kranel tried to hold her back, and there was a debate between them. But we pretended to ignore it as we continued walking.

It seems like we'll have a hard time to dealing with her again later.

14