37. Pillar of Gratitude
33 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The village of Qingmu had come to life in a way that made the grim atmosphere I'd first encountered seem like a distant memory. Streets that once echoed with silence now buzzed with laughter and chatter. Children, once cooped up indoors, scampered about, their faces painted with joy. Stalls of vibrant colors lined the pathways, and the mouthwatering scent of roasted meats and aromatic spices wafted through the air. Gone were the hushed whispers and guarded tones; people now engaged in animated conversations, their faces lit with smiles.

 

Even their reaction to the cultivators, who they once seemed guarded and cautious towards, was grateful and enthusiastic. Those Silent Moon sect guys stood confidently as the festival took place, but I could see the ghost of a smile making it to their faces as they were showered with praise.

 

"It's Kai Liu! The one who saved Hua Yin's boy!"

 

"I can't believe he's up and about after what he did. Did you hear about how he poisoned the Wind Serpent?"

 

"Look at that divine butterfly on his shoulder! He must be a warrior of renown! How have we never heard of him before?"

 

My ears turned red and I fought to keep an embarrassed smile off my face.

 

Haha, Haha! It wasn't much. Just something any person would do. But I suppose if they're calling me a chivalrous, brave, handsome, and tall cultivator then I'd have to graciously accept the compliment. I puffed my chest out slightly, standing up a bit straighter as more and more of the villagers noticed me.

 

Tianyi stood proudly on my shoulder, transmitting a feeling that I could almost translate into words. It was as if she was telling me 'They didn't compliment me to that extent'. But that was ridiculous. Likely a misinterpretation on my part. Perhaps when our bond grows deeper I'll be able to converse with her.

 

She hadn't regained the same glimmer in her wings as she did prior to the battle. I felt some semblance of guilt, but I'd hoped that the constant food and finest nectar would be enough to nurse her back to health. I had some idea on what to do with the beast core, but I'd have to wait until we got to the Verdant Lotus sect to test out my theory...

 

"Elder brother Kai! How're you feeling?"

 

The innkeeper's child. It was embarrassing how he knew my name, but I didn't know his. I knelt down to make eye contact, taking it easy so as to avoid aggravating the injury to my ribs.

 

"Hey. Looks like you're doing well. I don't think I ever caught your name..?"

 

The boy's posture straightened before he bowed deeply and clasped his fists together. "AH! How could I forget? My name is Hua Lingsheng!"

 

"Nice to meet you, Lingsheng. No need to be so formal. Just call me Kai, okay?"

 

"How could I, Elder Brother Kai!" He said loudly. "You saved my life! Anything less would bring shame to my family!"

 

Ugh. These kids are crazy. How do I make this kid calm down? I get that he's grateful, but I want to just relax.

 

"Come, Elder Brother Kai, you must see the preparations for the celebration!" he said, his eyes sparkling with excitement. He took my hand and pulled me toward the village square.

 

I followed Lingsheng through the festive streets, absorbing the transformation that Qingmu had undergone. The village that was once shrouded in fear was now radiant with hope. The joy in the air was palpable, and I couldn't help but feel a warmth in my heart. This was what a village was supposed to look like.

 

As we reached the village square, I noticed an enormous wooden structure in the center. It was a beautifully carved pillar, adorned with intricate designs and symbols, surrounded by a circle of colorful banners and lanterns. Villagers were adding the final touches, placing offerings of fruits, flowers, and incense around the base.

 

"What's this, Lingsheng?" I asked, intrigued by the mysterious structure.

 

He looked up at me, his eyes wide with excitement. "This, Elder Brother Kai, is the Pillar of Gratitude. It's an age-old tradition in QIngmu. We've not had the chance to perform this year, but now, with the Wind Serpents defeated, the village elder thought it the perfect time and host it earlier than usual."

 

"How does it work?" I asked, fascinated by the ritual.

 

Lingsheng's eyes sparkled as he explained, "The Pillar of Gratitude is a symbol of our village's unity and thankfulness. Tonight, during the celebration, the village elder will light a fire at the top. The fire represents our shared spirit and gratitude towards you, our saviors."

 

He gestured to the Feng Wu and Silent Moon sect, who were greeted with bows and smiles by the villagers.

 

"Then, every family will tie a red ribbon around the pillar," Lingsheng continued, "Each ribbon carries the wishes and thanks of the family. The more ribbons, the stronger our gratitude."

 

I was touched by the simplicity and profoundness of the ritual. It was a beautiful way to express thanks, a deeply spiritual gesture that connected the village to those who had helped them.

 

I saw Feng Wu poised in a group with the Silent Moon sect, and he motioned me over. Lingsheng encouraged me to go, talking about how the festival would start now that everyone was present.

 

Soon, the village elder, a wise and venerable man with a kind smile, stood before the crowd, his eyes filled with emotion. He was different from Elder Ming. For starters, he was a lot more frail. But he still held himself in a manner befitting of a village elder. His hair was brown, but slowly turning gray at the roots.

 

"Today," he began, his voice trembling with gratitude, "we gather not just to celebrate our survival, but to honor those who made it possible."

 

He turned to us, standing in an informal line. A small murmur of cheers and applause rang throughout the crowd, and the village elder paused until they went silent.

 

"Members of the Verdant Lotus sect and the Silent Moon sect, we, the people of Qingmu, offer you our deepest thanks. Tonight, we honor you with our Pillar of Gratitude."

 

The crowd erupted into cheers, their voices carrying the love and respect they felt for their saviors. I could feel a lump in my throat as the village elder lit the fire atop the pillar, the flames dancing, reflecting the hope and joy in the eyes of the people.

 

It was one thing to read about the tales of heroes, and how people celebrated and idolized them. But it was an entirely different matter of feeling it.

 

But Feng Wu and Xu Ziqing looked unfazed. They took the gratitude in stride. The Azure Moon Marauder observed the pillar and nodded his head in satisfaction, whereas Feng Wu dropped his head in a polite bow toward the village elder. Many of the third-class disciples held their posture and maintained the dignified aura of a cultivator, but from where I stood I could see some were unfamiliar with the praise.

 

Perhaps they weren't so far from where I was, after all. Weren't the third-class disciples around my age? Admittedly, they've likely been training for over a decade, but the difference in experience showed between them and their leader, Xu Ziqing.

 

The village elder continued to talk for a few more minutes, sharing stories of the village's past, the bravery of its people, and the hope for a prosperous future. He even brought up a basket of goods for both Feng Wu and Xu Ziqing as the representatives of both sects, and I clapped enthusiastically. Both second-class disciples shared a few words of celebration before giving the stage back to the village elder.

 

His words were filled with wisdom and kindness, bridging the gap between the old traditions and the newfound joy that filled Qingmu. As he concluded his speech, the villagers erupted into applause, and the celebration truly began.

 

People mingled around, their faces glowing in the warm lantern light, as they chatted and laughed. The aroma of the banquet filled the air, an inviting medley of flavors that made my stomach growl in anticipation. Long tables were laden with an assortment of dishes, all prepared with care and skill by the village's best cooks.

 

As the guests of honor, we were given the opportunity to check the dishes first and pick what pleased our palate. Feng Wu, with his green eyes sparkling in delight, led me to one of the tables, where a particularly succulent meat was attracting everyone's attention.

 

"Elder Brother Kai," he said, in a playful tone, "I believe you must try this dish. It's rather special."

 

I groaned. This 'Elder Brother' nonsense was going to be another point of ridicule, wasn't it? Hua Lingsheng was clearly being too loud. Oh well, I suppose it's better than Kowtow Kai.

 

I picked up a piece, savoring the aroma before taking a bite. It was tender, flavorful, and unlike anything I had ever tasted before. My eyes widened as I turned to Feng Wu.

 

"This is delicious! Is this pork? I've never had it taste like this before."

 

Feng Wu's eyes twinkled mischievously as he replied, "I think you would know. Most of the dishes here use the same meat, since they came across two large specimens not too long ago."

 

I nearly choked on my food, my eyes bulging in shock.

 

"What? The Wind Serpent?" I stammered, still trying to wrap my head around the idea. I was eating a Spirit Beast?!

 

One of the villagers who had helped cook the dishes overheard our conversation and chimed in, "Yes, young hero. After the Silent Moon sect finished harvesting all the valuable parts, we salted the meat to preserve it. We thought it fitting to use it all in this celebration, a symbol of our triumph over fear and a feast in honor of our saviors."

 

I stared at the meat, then back at Feng Wu, who was watching me with a knowing smile.

 

"Well," I finally said, taking another bite and savoring the taste, "it is quite delicious. A fitting way to commemorate our victory."

 

I've heard stories of cultivators consuming Spirit Beasts to absorb their powers, but I didn't feel anything like that. The food was to die for, though. Perhaps I should get into the habit of finding Spirit Beasts to hunt down and eat?

 

Although I do wonder how Tianyi would taste, theoretically...

 

A wave of horror and betrayal flowed through me, and Tianyi slowly started to crawl away from my shoulder. I was joking! I was joking!

 

Feng Wu laughed, his chivalrous demeanor giving way to genuine warmth. "Indeed, Elder Brother Kai. It's a taste of victory, quite literally."

 

We continued to enjoy the feast, mingling with the villagers and other cultivators, sharing stories and laughter. The Pillar of Gratitude stood tall in the center of the square, a constant reminder of the unity and gratitude that had brought us all together.

 

As the feast went on, the village elder called forth the Silent Moon sect to honor them. It made sense. After all, they were the ones who were requested to deal with it in the first place.

 

I gained a newfound respect for them. At first, I thought they were people who would exploit the village and intimidate them, but they were surprisingly diligent and only took an appropriate amount for their services. Although my potions helped, I honestly think they would've defeated the WInd Serpents by themselves.

 

They were a bit snobby, but I suppose I could live with that. It was wishful thinking to believe I can get along with everybody, but I'll try my best.

 

I was excitedly chatting with some villagers about the battles I'd witnessed when Xu Ziqing's piercing gaze met mine. I swallowed down my anxieties, although our interactions during the battle weren't the best, we had fought together. Showing any animosity during a celebration would be stupid. And I was anything but!

 

"Kai Liu," Xu Ziqing sneered, his eyes narrowing as he drawled my name. "It seems like the village elder didn't deign to honor your contributions. A shame, I suppose."

 

I could feel the tension in the air as Xu Ziqing's words hung heavy. Feng Wu frowned beside me, a spark of anger in his eyes. But I didn't mind. It was a pretty easy misunderstanding to make that I was part of the Verdant Lotus sect, even if I didn't wear the same uniform. No point adding me in when I was a small part of the battle.

 

Besides, who was I to demand recognition? The important thing here was that everybody was safe, and we had no casualties. Everything else was just adding flowers to a brocade at this point.

 

Taking a few seconds to respond, I opened my mouth with a plan of attack.

 

"Yes, Xu Ziqing," I said, keeping my voice steady and bowing politely. "I don't mind. Your sect put in most of the effort. I have no issue with you receiving all the credit, as it is rightfully yours."

 

I won't give him the satisfaction. Let's see how he likes a dose of over-the-top kindness.

 

Xu Ziqing's eyes widened, and I could see the confusion on his face. This was clearly not the response he'd expected. Behind him, the third-class disciples exchanged glances, some looking slightly surprised at my comments.

 

"Indeed," Xu Ziqing said slowly, clearly trying to regain control of the conversation. "But surely, someone of your limited experience should understand that your contributions were but a small fraction of what was required to secure victory."

 

I grinned, feeling a surge of excitement. "Oh, absolutely! I'm fully aware that what I did was just a tiny part. Your group must have planned and strategized for days, even weeks! It was my first time seeing a sword formation in action. Do you guys train it as a unit? I'd love to know!"

 

Feng Wu's frown deepened slightly, but he remained quiet. From the corner fo my eye, I could see him gauging me as I responded to their slight jabs with overwhelming positivity.

 

Xu Ziqing looked taken aback, his carefully crafted façade slipping for a moment. "I... Well, it's not something that a novice like you would understand easily."

 

"But surely you could explain it a little?" I pressed, my eyes wide with fascination. "I saw how you took command of the disciples and got them into formation. You there," I pointed at one of the third-class disciples, "the way you held your position whenever to block the Wind Serpent's attacks, it was simply marvelous! Can't believe you weathered so many strikes from it!"

 

The muscular disciple, who was the first one to take my Invigorating Dawn Tonic after Xu Ziqing, blushed and stammered, "T-thank you, Kai Liu."

 

"Silence!" Xu Ziqing snapped, elbowing the disciple. He turned back to me, his face flushing with irritation. "This is not a matter to be discussed openly. Our techniques and strategies are not to be shared with outsiders."

 

"Oh, I understand," I said, nodding eagerly. "But perhaps you could share some general principles? I'm always looking to improve my skills, and learning how to cooperate with other cultivators seems like a critical skill to learn for missions like these."

 

Xu Ziqing's face twitched, clearly at a loss for how to handle my enthusiasm and compliments. He glanced at Feng Wu, whose expression seemed to flatten out. The edges of his mouth were moving slightly, as though he were trying to fight off a smile.

 

"...Your disciple is openly coveting our techniques. Is the Verdant Lotus sect truly this destitute?"

 

"You misunderstand, Xu Ziqing." Feng Wu said with a smile. That was quite an insult to brush off, but the man didn't even flinch. "Kai isn't a disciple of the Verdant Lotus sect. He's actually a herbalist who we're sponsoring for the Grand Alchemy Gauntlet. He's...quite passionate about martial arts. He isn't formally affiliated with us yet."

 

A wave of surprised murmurs spread across the disciples, as well as the villagers nearby who could hear our conversation. The third-class disciples started looking at me as though I grew an additional head.

 

"Enough of this," Xu Ziqing finally said, his voice dripping with annoyance. "Enjoy the celebration, Kai Liu, and leave the matters of cultivation to those who truly understand them. And one more thing," he added, his eyes narrowing as he glanced towards Tianyi, who froze up once more as his eyes narrowed in on her. "It would be wise to keep your beast close. You never know when someone might find it... useful."

 

I grinned at Xu Ziqing. "Oh! Do you want a Spirit Beast like Tianyi? She's remarkable, isn't she? You know, if she ever lays eggs and is willing to part with her children, I'd be happy to sell them to you at a fair price! I'm thinking of writing a book on how to care for one since information about the Azure Moonlight Flutter is scarce; I could include it in the deal!"

 

Xu Ziqing's face turned a shade of red I'd never seen before, his mouth agape at my response. The third-class disciples behind him looked equally stunned, and some were clearly holding back laughter.

 

"Wha-... No! That's not what I meant at all!" Xu Ziqing stammered, clearly flustered.

 

"But it's a great idea!" I continued. "Tianyi's been such a wonderful companion, and I think anyone interested in martial arts would benefit from having a Spirit Beast. She's a really good companion and listens well. I think."

 

Xu Ziqing looked as though he were about to say something, but he stopped himself, his face contorting in a mixture of frustration and disbelief. He glanced at his disciples, who were all staring at him, some with amusement dancing in their eyes.

 

"Never mind," Xu Ziqing finally muttered, his voice defeated. "Enjoy the celebration, Kai Liu. I see there's no use in provoking you."

 

"Provoke?" I asked. It was a bit harsh, but I didn't think he'd outright admit he was goading me. "I didn't think we were arguing. But thank you for the conversation! I learned a lot, and I'm really excited about the possibility of sharing Tianyi's offspring with you!"

 

Xu Ziqing merely shook his head, turning and walking away, his disciples following him, some of them casting bemused glances over their shoulders. Ha! Kill 'em with kindness. That'll teach you. Did you think I was going to play along with your scheme?

 

I learned it from the best. Lan-Yin was especially good at making others feel bad whenever they caused a ruckus at the tea house.

 

I turned to Feng Wu, smirking slightly. "Did you see that, Feng Wu? Xu Ziqing might want a Spirit Beast like Tianyi! Isn't that great? Not to worry, if Tianyi lays eggs I'll ask you first."

 

Feng Wu chuckled, shaking his head. "You truly are one of a kind, Kai. He didn't know what he was up against."

 

As the laughter and pleasantries of the celebration swirled around us, I looked out at the faces of the villagers, their smiles reflecting the triumph we all shared. There was a profound satisfaction in knowing that I played a part, however small, in their joy and safety.

 

This was awesome.

 

5