29. Unforeseen Developments
49 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The initial discomfort of the previous day had given way to a rhythmic stride, Feng Wu leading the way with a natural grace that made the uneven terrain seem as smooth as a dance floor. There was a calmness in the monotony of the journey that reminded me of gardening. I used my iron staff as a walking stick, and my other hand holding the reins to the horses.

 

"We're not likely to come across any major incidents," Feng Wu had said, yet a part of me was waiting for the sudden twist, the unexpected interruption that would remind me of the perilous path I'd chosen. But that moment never came, so we filled the silence with conversation.

 

Feng Wu proved to be a wellspring of knowledge about alchemy and herbalism. I knew he came from a family of herbalists, but it was still surprising. He held a calm demeanor as we traversed through the emerald and jade foliage, his green and white robes blending effortlessly with the surroundings.

 

Feng Wu paused, glancing at the wilderness around us, before saying, "Do you see these plants, Kai? A herbalist would take them as they are, utilize their inherent properties. But an alchemist... they seek to transform, to mold matter itself, to find new combinations of properties that nature alone couldn't conceive."

 

I furrowed my brows, trying to grasp the concepts, "So, it's like cooking? Salt, pepper, soy sauce..."

 

Feng Wu chuckled lightly at my analogy, "Well, in a way. But imagine your ingredients aren't just earthly but can also be celestial. And the flame you cook with becomes a pill furnace that channels spiritual energy instead."

 

He explained how an alchemist uses these pill furnaces, each one crafted from different materials, each material interacting differently with various ingredients. He talked about the Black Iron Furnace that could generate high heat for hardy, resistant materials, and a cauldron that can withstand the channeling of qi when creating pills. The numbers I heard were mind-boggling. Who would pay that much gold for glorified cooking utensils?!

 

I hope the Verdant Lotus sect won't mind me coming so empty-handed. All I brought with me were my knife, mortar and pestle, along with several dozen vials I prepared for fulfilling my contract with the Azure Silk Trading Company.

 

"You see, an alchemist is part chemist, part artist," he continued, "Your toolset extends beyond what you can physically touch. Your Qi, your knowledge of the tools, and the environment itself will shape your product. That's the major difference that it has to herbalism, in my opinion."

 

Feng Wu's explanations about alchemy wove through my mind, absorbing each piece of information like a sponge to water. However, our intellectual exchange was soon interrupted by the hurried approach of a traveler.

 

A middle-aged man with a slight hunch in his posture, he held the air of a merchant accustomed to the roads. His eyes lingered on Feng Wu’s green and white robes before he greeted us with a polite nod.

 

"Good day, sirs. Are you headed towards Qingmu village by any chance?" he asked. His tone was casual, but the worried creases around his eyes suggested something more serious.

 

"We are," I replied, my eyes meeting Feng Wu's, catching a flicker of concern. He told me we'd have an opportunity to rest at a village nearby before we got to Crescent Bay City. I assumed that was the one he was talking about.

 

The man heaved a sigh, rubbing his weathered hands together, "Then you best be careful. There's a Wind Serpent prowling the area. Been attacking the locals for the past few nights."

 

My heart skipped a beat at his words. A Wind Serpent? I had only heard about them in 'The Storm Sage Chronicles'. "I thought Wind Serpents were just myths," I admitted, turning to Feng Wu for answers.

 

Feng Wu gave a slight shake of his head, his gaze thoughtful, "They're extremely rare, but they exist. This is the first time I've heard of it appearing in the outskirts of the province, however."

 

The man nodded in agreement, "Just keep your wits about you. That beast isn't something regular folk can handle." His gaze lingered on Feng Wu, clearly reassured by the presence of a cultivator. He didn't even glance at me. Clearly, my ability to suppress my cultivation and hide my true abilities was at work.

 

"We will, thank you for your warning," Feng Wu responded, his voice calm and composed.

 

With a final nod, the man continued on his journey, leaving Feng Wu and me in contemplative silence.

 

I wasn't exactly thrilled about the prospect of facing off against a spirit beast, especially one I barely knew anything about. My grip tightened around my iron staff, my mind running through the few combat forms I had managed to learn. I looked towards Feng Wu, trying to mask my apprehension, "Can...can we handle a Wind Serpent?"

 

Feng Wu looked at me, a reassuring smile gracing his face, "Let's hope we don't have to. But if it comes to it, I will do what I can."

 

Suddenly, Feng Wu's posture shifted. His eyes, previously gentle and calming, now held a glimmer of steel and determination. From within his robe, he withdrew his arm, slowly unfolding his clenched fingers to reveal an object that glittered ominously in the harsh daylight. As if unfurling a forbidden secret, he allowed the hidden object to slide from its sheath and extend with an eerily harmonious sound - a bladed fan, a stunning weapon and tool of lethal elegance.

 

The fan, with its earthy green hue, immediately stood out against the background of dust and rugged terrain. It was a symbol of the Verdant Lotus sect, with the gentle lotus patterns delicately inscribed along the blades, alternating between brighter and darker shades of green.

 

Each metal segment gleamed with a polished, silver edge that hinted at its sharpness, each blade designed for deadly precision. In the right hands, it wasn't just a fan, but a weapon that could unleash a whirlwind of deadly slices with every graceful swing. Feng Wu's light touch on the fan, twirling it effortlessly, displayed not just his mastery over this unique weapon, but also a signal of his preparedness to face whatever dangers awaited us. I let out a noise of awe.

 

"A bladed fan...just like Zhen Lu! Wow! Can you make mighty gusts of wind and send people flying? Can you do it on me?"

 

But just as quick as he drew it, it dropped back into his sleeve as though it were all an illusion.

 

"Kai," he started, his voice firm but gentle, "This fan may look beautiful, almost harmless, but it's still a weapon. It's meant to protect, to attack, but never to be used carelessly, and certainly not against a friend."

 

I sighed. I suppose he was right. It was one of the main reasons why I went with a staff rather than a blade. It was dangerous. I only ever used my knife once, and that was to protect Tianyi from that damned crow. I felt embarrassed at being scolded, but my over eagerness got the best of me this time around. We continued on, and I continued to converse with Feng Wu about his weaponry. I always thought he was a hand-to-hand combatant, but he was more versatile than I assumed.

 

His show didn't completely dissolve my worries, however, but they did stoke a fire within me. That evening, when we stopped to rest, I decided to forego sleep for additional practice. As the moonlit shadows danced around me, I swung my iron staff with renewed determination.

 

As I swung my staff, I found my thoughts focusing not on the movements of my arms or the weight of the iron, but on the creature that might soon cross our path. A Wind Serpent. A beast of myth and legend, now a potential reality. I wondered how it might move, how it might attack. Would it truly control the wind, turning nature's calm breezes into deadly gusts?

 

I knew of these creatures through books and stories, where they were often depicted as benevolent beings, guardians of the wind element. Yet here they were, presented as a threat to people, a menace to be feared. This dissonance left me perplexed.

 

But then again, weren't we all capable of being both, depending on who's looking at us? Good, bad, hero, villain... Aren't these just labels we attach to ourselves and others based on our experiences and biases?

 

I halted my movements, the iron staff humming lightly from the sudden stillness. I glanced at the serene night sky, pondering this new insight. Yes, the world was no longer black and white, but rather a spectrum of grays where the line between right and wrong was often blurred.

 

The introduction of the Heavenly Interface had made this reality even more apparent. Previously unknown or mythical creatures, like the Wind Serpent, coming out the woodworks. The increased demand for weapons and armor from all over the province. It felt like the world was gearing up for something huge.

 

I still couldn't fully grasp the extent of the Interface's influence. But one thing was clear: it had opened doors to opportunities and risks that were previously unimaginable. Like the Grand Alchemy Gauntlet. I hadn't even considered it, a far-fetched dream... until the Heavenly Interface provided the means to turn it into reality. The ability to extract plant essence. The memory palace. All these techniques made me several times more capable than ever before.

 

But what was it that made the Verdant Lotus Sect so interested in me? I was a good herbalist, sure, but was I really that unique? Or was it something more...?

 

These thoughts were not comforting, but I reminded myself that overthinking would not bring any solutions. My gaze fell upon the iron staff in my hands, its cold and unwavering presence a reminder of the path I'd chosen, the journey that was yet to unfold.

 

I resumed my training, channeling my energy through the iron staff. The cold night air whipped past me, my every movement creating a soft, rustling melody that seemed to echo my swirling thoughts. The rhythmic clash of the iron staff against the air served as a grounding anchor amid my anxieties, a reminder of the control I held over my own destiny.

 

As the night deepened, I found a sense of calm within the storm of my thoughts. The apprehension was still there, of course, but it no longer held the same crippling fear. A Wind Serpent... if we came across it, we would face it. And if the Verdant Lotus Sect had ulterior motives... well, I would cross that bridge when we came to it.

 

I trusted Feng Wu. He didn't seem like the kind of man with ulterior motives. But Elder Ming warned me of the dangers here in the Jianghu. And as I took my first steps into it, I would have to do my best not to fall.

 

My training finished, leaving me on the floor, gasping for air. I had strained myself, occupied by my worries for what tomorrow would bring. Feng Wu seemed to materialize out of thin air, handing me a bottle of water to satiate my thirst.

 

"You're a hard worker, Kai. I admire that. I wish my juniors could learn a thing or two." He said. I smiled confidently.

 

"I know my place in the world. How can I live up to being the genius of the Tranquil Breeze Coast without putting some effort?"

 

The man rolled his eyes. "I don't recall your townspeople saying that. I remember a few, however. Does 'Kowtow Kai' ring a bell?"

 

I groaned and put my hands on my head. Damn it! I bet it was Master Qiang who mentioned it to him! I'm giving that old coot an earful when I come back. Maybe even a few face-slaps as well to restore my honor!

 


 

As the sun rose, casting a warm glow on the landscape, Qingmu came into view on the horizon. I had expected a peaceful, quiet village, the type described in stories and paintings. But what met my eyes was a far cry from that idyllic image.

 

From afar, the village was a hive of activity. The rooftops were bustling, people moving back and forth, their motions hurried and anxious. And scattered amidst the villagers were figures clad in ocean-blue attire. Their presence was like that of a falcon amidst sparrows, their air of superiority impossible to ignore.

 

Cultivators.

 

"Feng Wu, those guys... they're not from the Verdant Lotus Sect, are they?" I asked, my eyes never leaving the blue-clad figures.

 

"No, they're from the Silent Moon Sect," he responded, his voice revealing a tinge of unease. I knew that the Silent Moon Sect was one of the most influential sects in the region. But what were they doing in a small village like Qingmu?

 

"Do you think they're here because of the Wind Serpent?" I ventured to ask, my mind instantly recalling the warning we received from the merchant.

 

"That's a possibility," Feng Wu replied, a thoughtful look crossing his face.

 

We approached the village slowly, keeping our presence as low key as possible. As we came closer, the air felt heavy with tension. Villagers eyed us with a mix of suspicion and relief, their faces etched with lines of recent worries.

 

One of the Silent Moon Sect disciples spotted us. He was a young man, not much older than I was, but the look in his eyes was far too cold and cynical for his age.

 

"What brings you to Qingmu Village?" he asked, his tone carrying a subtle note of challenge. His gaze drifted to Feng Wu's green and white robes, and a flicker of understanding passed his eyes. But it quickly turned into something else... Contempt?

 

"We heard about the Wind Serpent..." Feng Wu started, but the Silent Moon disciple cut him off with a dismissive wave of his hand.

 

"That's been dealt with. There's nothing to see here," he responded, his tone brusque and condescending. His gaze then shifted to me, and for the first time, I felt a spark of hostility. It wasn't the open scorn he showed to Feng Wu, but rather an undercurrent of disdain, as though I was barely worth acknowledging.

 

"But..." I started, but Feng Wu gently touched my arm, signaling for me to stop.

 

"Thank you for your help," Feng Wu said, offering a polite smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

 

The Silent Moon disciple merely huffed in response, turning away from us without another word. We watched him join his fellow disciples, their blue robes contrasting starkly against the rustic backdrop of the village. And I could see discussion amongst them. One of them stood out amongst the others. A man, his beard grizzled and eyes as sharp as daggers, who appeared to be a few years Feng Wu's senior.

 

His eyes were focused on my companion, before landing on me. No, not on me. To my shoulder, where Tianyi sat.

 

The Azure Moonlight Flutter froze, just like the time she was attacked. My skin prickled.

 

This wasn't looking so good.

3