Chapter 2: February
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

February

One month into their "deal", as it were, Jay feels a weight gone from their shoulders already, but just one of many to shed. With a real safety net now, they feel that they can finally live again. Food stores have held up, water as well. Now, the snow seems to be thawing, and that means it's time to see what to plant in the seedbeds.

Potatoes, Carrots, Lettuce, Onions. Canned and preserved others. They were well-stocked. How did he go? Jay pondered the previous tenant's end. Only one new grave was added on Jay's arrival...but that doesn't mean it's the only body around.

And, as if on queue, Senna has returned, the sweeping shadow arising on the hill once more. "Jay! It's good to see you in good health!" They look up from the dirt, having begun to plant seeds, and they force a smile as best they can. "Miss Senna. Hello."

Sen quickly strolls over to her pet-to-be, settling quickly on the ground next to them. "I'm glad you decided to call, I can't imagine how lonely it can get here, alone, with only periodic visits from me and-" Jay stops her. "Ma'am, I don't mean to be rude, but, please. That's not helping."

Senna nods, letting out a sigh. "Right, my apologies, lovely. Have you been well? We have some unfinished business to discuss, I believe." Ah, right. Forgot to tell her about the bodies. They think to themselves.

"That's right. Um, if it wouldnt be any trouble, could you perhaps help me with the uh, planting of this first?" And without a second thought, the affini is quick to work on spreading the seeds across the small farm's soil, taking note of one crucial thing. "Oh, darling, some of these seeds are no good! They're brittle, practically dust..." Jay shrugs. "Can't be picky in what I eat out here. I don't think I've had any meat since I got here, and...I-I'm not one for hunting." Take issue with killing an animal, but not your fellow man, hm? Coward. Intrusive thoughts clock their brain at lightning speeds, and they physically have to shake them off.

The two of them return back to the homestead, same spots as before, same spots for the future, assumedly. "So, about the previous tenants..." Senna asks, adjusting herself as Jay eats something. It smells good, which is enough for them. "Right. So, when I arrived here, I crash-landed some-odd 3...maybe 3 and a half kilometers away. I was hurt, I was barely conscious, and, well...unfortunately, I'll never play the banjo ever again." They gesture to their missing digits, chuckling hollowly. "I was expecting to die here and now, but...someone came for me. Another terran, old...but strong. He didn't speak, I don't think he could...he fixed me up, introduced me to the land...then the next day, I found him dead. I did the only thing I thought I should, which was bury him with his family, and...that's the story from there." They brush their hair back, sighing. "I feel wrong being here, but I can't help but feel the need to stay. Like...like he wants me to look after this place in his stead. So I started fixing the place up. There was a hole in the ceiling, I taped it. One of the stairs were broken, I uh, I taped it, too. I used a lot of tape."

The affini nods along, actually taking note of the excess of tape around the lodge. "I see..so, you didn't kill who lived here, then?" Jay shakes a bit at that. "N-no, I promise! I...I'm not ready to talk about it yet, I'm sorry, ma'am."

She nods once again. "It's alright, darling, it's alright...when you're ready, we can go again. Do you want me to stay the night?"

Jay thought about it. Sen wasn't trying to cause them any harm, not manipulate them, at least, not yet. They haven't been drugged, they just...enjoy her company. Someone genuine, and kind, and caring.

"Yes. Yes, I'd like that."

2