Chapter 6: Hua Clan (2)
1 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"See! There was someone!" The fourth disciple stood up, taking his sword out and pointing it at Zane, with somewhat of a satisfactory expression as he looked back to the other three.

Zane hissed a swear. 'That bastard―'

"Who are you?" One of the more muscular disciples inquired, threatening his sword as Zane sat up on his forelegs. The sword this guy wielded resembled a katana more than the swords the other men held. It was thicker on the edge and was typically 'reversed.'

A <Forgiver>. 'What a name... '

He shook his head. 'Bastard,' he cursed Rhian.

"W… wait. He doesn't look like he's from around this nation at all!" The shorter man, with his hair in a traditional bun and golden hilted sword, exclaimed. His sword had a unique look to it, appearing golden when light shone on it. If Zane recalled correctly, it was a <Vin'nyla>.

"Ah…he… "

Zane felt his ears heat up. Why were they staring at him like that? He noticed that Rhian had taken the white cloth bag. 'So he sacrifices me, huh?' Zane inwardly scoffed. He was in not better position than Rhian.

He stood up immediately. 'Act dumb?' The last and viable choice. He knew how to speak in their language, maybe his pronunciation wasn't that perfect, but he could communicate. At the same time Zane didn't want to die.

"I-I I'll get going," he gestured towards the river, obnoxiously. Using a variant language rather than their language.

"Didn't the Sect Leader say 'kill all outsiders'?" The disciples murmured. They seemed to have assumed Zane didn't understand it.

"His greatness did," One muttered something in the same language, gazing at Zane. The man had a black colored sword that had a few syngils engraved on its blade. <Executioner> was the name of the sword—it radiated a dangerous aura as well.

Was Wisteria still with him?

He felt his ring finger with his thumb, and swallowed harshly when he found it spacious. 'Oh.' He was dead. Zane bit his lip in anticipation, accidentally opening a scab.

[Triggered activation of Peek Lvl 1!]

[Choose your Peek]

[Shen Zhiyuan]

[Shen Chaoxiang]

[Hua Jianguo]

[Nei Haoyǔ]

Sure, but language was the problem. Zane understood partially, but not all words were as clear. He identified the man with a flower pin as Hua Jianguo. The two others had similar noses and eyes, so he assumed that they'd be the Shen(s). The fourth man would be Nei Haoyǔ… the one with the <Executioner>.

He chose 'Hua Jianguo' on the blue hologram.

[␣␣␣]

[New skill has been forcefully achieved]

[Inclusive skill, Translator vr. (Lvl 1) has been achieved!]

[Inclusive skill, Translator vr. (Lvl 1) is in use!]

[He looks stranded]

A swift moment caught his eyes causing Zane to flinch and push himself to move back. As he did, wind whipped just in front of Zane, and his eyes widened. If he didn't want to die at the moment, he'd have to do something. Anything. He stood up and ducked as Shen Zhiyuan swung his sword at him leaving a drag of white light.

[Fast reflexes]

'Fast reflexes?! I almost died!' Zane swallowed harshly and jumped back again, staying a few feet away from him. The other man possessed a lower grade sword, so it shouldn't harm him a lot.

"Hah?" Shen Zhiyuan appeared disappointed. His hands lowered, but his pose stayed offensive as he watched Zane through golden eyes.

—Ksks.

Zane ducked on intuition, landing painfully on his back, but dodging a sword coming at his shoulder. When his eyes snapped in the direction of the origin, he saw Shen Chaoxiang's lower lip twitching in annoyance. He stabbed the sword on the ground where Zane was, but just before the blade could pierce him, Zane rolled to his side and pushed himself to stand up.

Just as he moved back, something collided with his shoulder and a horrible feeling rushed through him. As sick as getting whipped by the soldiers but far slower and torturous, as if time had slowed down for him to experience the same thing for hours. 'Shit.'

He whirled around and ducked again, pushing himself back and panting harshly. The back of his body hit a tree trunk, Zane's mind went blank for a moment before his eyes focused again, this time they were narrowed onto the sword that Nei Haoyǔ weld. Blood dripped from the dark blade. 'Just what was the Hermit doing?'

A dull pain began settling itself in Zane's back. "Who are you?" Hua Jianguo asked.

[How are you familiar with our swordstyle?]

'How?' Zane snorted inwardly. Three years from now, he'd be caught, beaten, and tortured, before the leader of the clan would let him go with the promise of survival. All while watching these disciples train? Zane swallowed. He shuddered and slowly tried standing up, pulling his aching body with a hand.

The disciples' eyes widened. "H-hey!" Shen Zhiyuan flinched, as if the action was so unexpected that his composed self lost its composure.

Hua Jianguo looked at Zane with an unreadable expression.

[How can he still move?]

[The Hermit has noticed your presence]

'About time.'

[The Contract Administrator is curious about your sudden disappearance]

Nei Haoyǔ was also known as the 'Tainted Flower.' His sword was lined with a type of poison. It was a disgusting trick, but his sword was an [Executioner] and he was required to kill someone evil or corrupted every once in a while, or else it'd start to harm him. The poison did him the favor of not having to watch the person writhe out of pain and get emotional.

[Executioners] were like that. Although most of the <Watchers> marked them as weapons of good, they were lined with both pure and diabolic mana. Lying on the line of good and bad, meaning they'd have to kill a person every now and then to send 'good' souls and 'bad' souls.

Zane had immunity against it during his past life, after repeatedly being questioned and beaten. He hadn't expected it to still last, but perhaps his mentality had caused his body to somehow resist against it, even if it meant for a little time. As he watched the scene in front of him, his eyes shook, and Zane bit his lower lip.

[The Hermit has lent you the <Wisteria>]

[The Hermit warns: don't lose it]

[The Hermit has granted you faux magic!]

[The Contract Administrator is gazing at the situation with wide eyes]

[The Contract Administrator wants to sign a contract with you]

A black ring with golden words in syngils appeared in the air within black shard-like sparks. Casting white light as it hovered close to him.

[You are interfering with the System as a non-participant!]

[Repercussions are to be given!]

[Cooldown to obtain <Wisteria> : 2:00]

Zane internally groaned. The repercussions existed to keep the balance of the System. So, in a way it was no wonder that the ring had appeared in shards of repercussions. These black shards were similar to glass that would pierce your skin if you touched the item before the cooldown was over. Too bad, Zand didn't have any time to mess around. Shen Chaoxiang's sword came racing at him again.

Zane snatched the ring from the black sparks, and put it on, fitting his ring finger perfectly. As he did, a stinging sensation ran all over his body while multiple cuts appeared on his hand, and spread to his forearm. 'Shit.'

<Wisteria> sparked to life with a dark glow. It was already granted with faux energy, meaning all he had to do was fight. Zane was already bleeding, so it wasn't easy to activate the whip, which was uncoiled.

The <Wisteria> ring he had stolen from the soldier was a common ring. It was mass produced by the Church, so the value and grade of it was typically quite less unless one were to 'upgrade' it. However, the current ring at his possession was one from the Hermit himself, the original creator of the weapon, which meant that….

[Item: Wisteria (pseudo: Purple Kindling)
Rank: Genesis
Grade: B+
Type of Magic: electric-based
Producer: The Hermit (??)

"For the sound of the snap of this whip shall send a premonition across"]

Zane took a step back and struck the whip, blocking an attack from Shen Chaoxiang.

[<Wisteria> is in affinity with you!]

[The 1st attribute of <Wisteria> is to bloom!]

A voice was heard in his ear as a panel apeared to his left side. The Hermit was watching him, so he had an option to control the attributes Wisteria had. Zane shook his head and ducked again, feeling two blades throw a whiff of air over his head.

[The Hermit has taken interest in you!]

[The Contract Administrator wants to sign a contract with you]

'Yes. Good.'

[The Hermit has granted you a new attribute!]

'Really? I've gotten lucky with The Hermit?'

[New Attribute is blossoming! ]

A purple aura began surrounding him as more sparks came from <Wisteria>.

"H-huh?" Shen Zhiyuan paused. Shen Chaoxiang pushed his sword closer to Zane's chest, causing Zane to move back instantly, rushing at least a few feet away till another sound resounded.

[New attribute achieved!]

'What's this about?' Zane had never used Wisteria in his past life. Or, he had never gotten the opportunity to, since The Hermit had interest in only 'her.' He swallowed thickly and struck the whip, which managed to hit and knock Shen Chaoxiang's sword out of his hands. He repeated the motion, knocking Shen Zhiyuan's sword out of his hand as well.

Then a swift motion caught his eyes. Although it wasn't obvious, Zane could guess where he'd be attacked from. His left hand twitched. He had seen her do this many times. 'Up.'

Nei Haoyǔ had jumped high and his sword aimed at Zane. It was probably a form of [Zen] that helped enhance the body's physical strength.

[1st Attribute of <Wisteria> is in use!]

He grabbed the whip's end with his left arm, feeling as though nothing was present in his fist. Before he could get too glad, electric shocks ran throughout his body, causing blood cells to pop and dribble from one nose. "Gah!"

[You can now use the first attribute!]

Zane gritted his teeth and suppressed a cough as he kept an eye on the disciples. Of which, Nei Haoyǔ ran to strike him again. He—

——Crackle.

Zane blocked the sword with Wisteria. Using both hands to control the ends of the purple whip.

[The Hermit is watching with wide eyes]

[You've gained an achievement!]

[Achievement: 'Caught Eyes of A Watcher' gained!]

[The Contract Administrator is shocked!]

[The Contract Administrator is glancing at ␣␣ The Hermit]

Zane's body ached, the censor pissed him off even more, as it had no point of existing. His hands shook as he held the latter's sword away from him. A sharp pain ran through his mind again, causing him to push the sword away and move back. 'Right.'

"Say..." he began.

[Nei Haoyǔ has triggered Translation vr (Lvl 3)]

"How much does your sword art take a toll on your mind?" Zane asked wearily. It was only a question. There was a short glint in Nei Haoyǔ's eyes, as if it had been too long since said question was asked.

Zane took the moment to jump and coil the whip around Nei Haoyǔ's sword.

It didn't move, his body may have grown resistant to many things, but it didn't change the fact that it was still far weaker than what it should've been. 'Fuck.'

Rhian was out of question. What was a way to immobilize these people?

He jumped and kicked Nei Haoyǔ's chest, managing to use his momentum to snatch the blade from the latter. Wisteria threw the sword in the air and coiled itself around the ring.

Zane caught the sword and pointed it threateningly at the four people.

'Huh? Ah.' At first, it worked well, but suddenly his body began trembling. He took a few steps back, the sword still held pointed. 'How long has it been?' His vision started filling with blurry spots. 'Since the last time I felt this... ?'

His hands began shaking frantically, apart from all his commands not to. "Put the sword down." Hua Jianguo spoke wide eyed.

[Does he have a suicide wish?]

It felt weird. As if the sword had a life of its own... twisting and dark.

He knew―he had read, heard, about all the side-effects of wielding an Executioner… Most of the time, it was the Executioner wielding the wielder. Zane took a few steps back.

A dark color had begun to leak out of the sword, making his hand try to drop the sword. But before he could, it secured his right hand with his left hand.

'Let go of it, you're dead.' He told himself. He probably was already dead anyways. 'what's the point of a boring death?'

'Shit. I came back to change things, not die.' He tried to grip the sword tighter and stabilize himself. 'Change. Things. Make different choices and at least gain respect.'

Got them corner—

Something hit him in the neck, making his body lose balance. Zane let out a sharp wince as his body crumbled to the floor and looked back to see Hua Jianguo standing behind him with his hand flat.

Zane's eyes fluttered open and close. 'I can't die. Not yet.'

He swirled Wisteria with his thumb. Zane blinked and bit down on his lip again.

——Crackle.

Wisteria glowed to life.

[The 1st attribute of Wisteria is in effect!]

Purple aura surrounded Zane, and he felt some strength return to him. Wisteria sent a series of electric shocks through his body, making him shudder.

Zane tried standing up, but his mind was getting fogged.

"You fought well, your skills will be remembered," Nei Haoyǔ said, picking his blade up, his face had fear painted on it… not for himself… but for what Zane had done.

[Executioner] blades were the type of blades that couldn't be used by those who weren't their original wielders. They would be able to use the swords for a while, sure, but Executioner could latch onto them and drain their mana exponentially. How could he have forgotten?

Zane collapsed on the ground when he tried to get up, his vision blurry. Perhaps this really was it, why did he go in the past? Why didn't he just follow the original line of how things were supposed to be? Why did he have to change it?

"Huh?" One of the disciples croaked.

——Clack.

"W-what is that?"

A figure appeared in front of Zane, radiant in color and elegant, though comparatively a bit sloppy. Zane's eyes fluttered in and out consciousness, till they closed with faint voices and not loud thuds.

<end: Hua Clan (2)>

1