001
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: Hello everyone, thanks for trying out this story, I really appreciate any feedback, if it is given neutrally, and criticism as well. I plan to publish this book as a bucket list objective for my life, but I can never seem to ever sit down and finish one. So, by posting it online I plan to hold my self accountable a bit more heavily. Updates will be slow, and the pacing will be eh because this is the first book with mostly setting up the world and future events.

 

Also, this is a harem, I will remove comments who point it out and then are negative about it. There are multiple warnings telling you exactly what this story is.

 

Thank you, that is all, happy reading.]

 

 

As we grow older our memories begin to fade.

 

Memories in which we were mere children, our sparkling eyes plastered to every bright color and our tiny hands grasping for anything cute or sweet. 

 

The memories in which we discover the mysteries of the world around us. Questioning constantly why the city glows at night, how mountains float on clouds, the winding rivers of lightning, or how some people are gifted while others are not. 

 

Donning raised eyebrows and slightly turned heads as we sit within a classroom, minds churning and soaking up every ounce of knowledge our brains can handle while doubting every word we hear with a naive curiosity which fuels our creativity.

 

We forget these memories, the turning points in which we struggle to understand that the world is not so kind, that reality is something we will eventually have to face, and that nothing is guaranteed in our coming future.

 

We forget these memories, though not the lessons they teach us, but anything and everything is eventually left behind by the omnipotent grasp of a single overlord forever watching and waiting.

 

Time.

 

However, no matter how much of it had passed, I would never forget this memory.

 

The suffocating stone walls of a grand cathedral, air stained with the scent of lavender, a padded red carpet so soft that one might sink through at any moment, and pews of mahogany wood which held rows and rows of people. 

 

The same people with tears that flowed down cheeks, whimpers accompanying strained cries escaping lips, heads hung lower than hearts, and those eyes of pity that were all directed toward a single boy.

 

Me.

 

I could never forget the weight that pressed down on me with those gazes, my lip seconds from bleeding as I bit down from the presence which bore down on me. The same silence which was broken because of the undeterred curiosity my younger self could not help but voice aloud despite the tension.

 

“Who was my Father?”

 

A stupid question, as probably every person in the world would have answered the same way.

 

“The savior of humanity. The man who split the sky with a single strike. The Sky Blade.”

 

I let the memory of that sentence linger on my mind for a few moments before it faded away. I relished in it, felt the tendrils of phantom emotions curl around me as my hands balled into fists from countless swirling emotions.

 

Then, with much relief, I let it all out with an exhale.

 

I opened my eyes, and greeting me was my reflection. The wheat colored hair that was usually nappy and left to the whims of the world was now combed to the left and glistening with gel. 

 

My famous storm gray eyes were emotionless as they stared back, not letting anyone know what thoughts were held beneath them and stonewalling any who tried. On my chin, the same old fading scar was there, and accompanying it was a slight stubble that I knew I would have to shave soon.

 

For what it was worth admiring myself, I looked handsome, a regal air of superiority oozing off me with every delicate movement I happened to make as I watched. The patting to fix the wrinkles in my frock coat, the slight adjustment of my bow tie, the subtle way I grabbed my fedora from the counter, and the carefulness in which I set it on my head so as not to ruin my hair. I would have grabbed my copper glasses resting on the counter, but I knew Cecil would scold me to death if he saw me with them. 

 

He and I both  knew that today was too important, and glasses would cause my image to fall, something that could never happen if I wished to show them I was his rightful son.

 

“Lewis, you’ve got this.”

 

I said those words, I knew I had said it, but for some reason it felt like I had not. The words held no weight whatsoever, and no matter how much I tried to hide it, my hands began to tremble.

 

I could blame the anxiety that began to creep, perhaps it would make me feel better, but all I ever did was blame it on that. The cause for shutting myself in and refusing to come out for years, the lack of enthusiasm when I attended formal balls and ignoring the invitations from other Fine Bloods.

 

I was in no way perfect, that was abundantly clear, but today I needed to be. 

 

Maybe if I did so, the outcome would be exactly what I had hoped for.

 

Stopping my rambling thoughts, I noticed through the reflection in the bathroom mirror the door to my bedroom cracked open, a familiar deep voice speaking softly through it.

 

“Young master Bennet, your carriage is here.”

 

I did not look over, giving myself a once over before nodding and grabbing the suitcase next to me, “I’ll be right out Cecil.”

 

A grunt of acknowledgement and I could hear the gruff old man make his way down the hall without waiting for me like usual.

 

It seemed he was in a bitter mood.

 

I let silence accompany me as I walked down the hallway after him, my attention briefly wandering to the arched windows that let me see down into the greenery of the hedge maze where butlers and maids were at work trimming and watering the flora.

 

After seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I then glanced toward the paintings on the other side, my eyes meeting multiple older painted gentlemen finely dressed in suits and all sitting in the same posture. Their stoic and emotionless faces eerie as I passed them by, their judgmental gazes seemingly following me as I walked.

 

Some of these men were dead, most missing, and a scant few somewhere within the country working for the royal family. I had met none of them, as once you became a Frontiersmen, you never really came back.

 

Abruptly cutting me from my thoughts, Cecil spoke without turning around as we turned a corner,“You seem awfully distracted.” 

 

I chuckled, “Of course I am, today is the day is it not. The famous Lewis Bennet, son of the Sky Blade, is finally showing his face to the world.”

 

Cecil scoffed, “Fix your tone Lewis, I will not tell you again.”

 

I rolled my eyes as I finally caught up to him as he descended the long staircase. He knew I was right, but nonetheless, he had to continue with the charade that he too, was not nervous beyond belief. 

 

However, I had forgotten this old butler practically had eyes in the back of his head.

 

“Lewis, please do not scorn every social interaction like it's the plague. You are going to awaken, you will no longer just be the son of your Father, but his successor. I beg of you to muster an ounce of courage and make some friends at the academy.”

 

Cecil’s words were a little abrupt, so I could only grit my teeth and nod. He had hit the nail on the head. Soon, to my misfortune, I was going to be attending one of the most prestigious academies in Albion.

 

The same place my Father, the “Savior of Humanity”, or better known as the “Sky Blade”, had attended when he was younger.

 

I was going to learn how to wield the untold power of an Awakened, learn the mysterious runes that were firmly shrouded by mystery per the Queen’s order, and fight for humanity’s survival against untold horrors. 

 

I was going to become a Frontiersman, and sadly, I had no choice in the matter.

 

Muttering my annoyances low enough that Cecil could not hear me, I followed him out of the manor and onto the cobbled path leading through a grove of golden leafed trees. We stopped at a copper gate, the towering structure opening without assistance as we sauntered out of the compound.

 

Waiting next to the sidewalk, a normal steel carriage pulled by a duo of massive black crows awaitied me. I was caught by surprise, seeing as how on any other occasion my carriage would be gilded in gold and countless other priceless materials to make sure everyone was aware of my presence. 

 

Today, it seemed that my awakening was low profile, and the realization brought a smile to my face as Cecil opened the door and gestured for me to go first. He noticed my grin, scoffing loudly and wholeheartedly ignoring me as I entered the carriage and tossed my empty suitcase in the floor.

 

Not long after, he joined me, pulling out a square stone of rock with glowing circles and keying in the coordinates to the Azure Tower. I glanced at him doing so, my heart quickening as I was met with the starling fact I was getting closer to the biggest change of my life.

 

In an hour, depending on traffic, my soul was going to be bathed in the Fire of Awakening. 

 

My soul would then be ignited, and my journey to Jacob’s Gold Academy would begin. I would meet strangers, people who might smile at me but hold daggers behind their backs, and I was supposed to make them friends or possible connections for future use; though I knew that was never going to work.

 

Everyone in Albion, with a population of four billion, would know who I was the second my last name was uttered.

 

Whether it be in passing, mentioned by the old aristocrats, seen in the newspapers, and possibly even directly told to them. They would know me, Lewis Bennet, as someone who could possibly follow in his Father’s footsteps.

 

I could change this world, and that was what made my life so miserable, constantly reminded of my potential I had yet to even realize myself.

 

I had honestly been a wreck for the last few years.

 

Not physically however, as with but a word I could get mostly anything I desired. Of course, Cecil had taught me the importance of being humble, but I had always preferred satin over cotton, pastries made by famous cooks, and the concerts of famous composers instead of street performers.

 

Mentally, my confidence was clearly a facade, and even as I thought to myself right at this very moment, it was all worrying questions on what was to come.

 

What if my talent was low?

 

What if my awakening failed?

 

What if I became exactly what they wanted me to be?

 

“Enough Lewis, you will not fail.” Cecil said bluntly as he watched the passing carriages and pedestrians. It was obvious he had noticed my frustration.

 

“Easy for you to say.” I blurted out as I took my fedora off and mirrored his gaze by watching the passing scenery of Horris.

 

Cecil nodded, “It is, but your bloodline runs deep with talent Lewis. I have served the Tarquin House for eighty years. Every man and woman who have hailed from this house have been extraordinary. You will be no different.”

 

The words he spoke were true, but something boiled in my throat. Without thinking, I had said what was on my mind, “But they are all dead now.”

 

Cecil’s body locked up, and his gaze met mine. I could not help but scan him up and down due to his reaction.

 

His combed back white hair, a few moles and wrinkles from old age, a verdi esk beard of the same white trimmed perfectly sat atop lips pulled thin kn anger, and finally those eyes. 

 

Those eyes of hazel that had the slightest hint of mischief mixed with seriousness, a contrast that would make one hesitate to gauge his thoughts, never too sure if he would crack a joke our possibly your neck.

 

“Lewis.”

 

The air fluctuated as he spoke. My hands had curled into fists and any and all air escaped my lungs as I fought back the aura of power he was exuding onto me.

 

He took notice of my struggle, shaking his head briefly and letting the invisible power that had coated my body dissipate.

 

“I’m sorry,” Surprisingly he had said the words before I could. “I have no way to refute your statement. It seems those of the Tarquin House have ambition that has been valued above their lives. I even raised a few of them myself, but nonetheless they always seek danger.”

 

I agreed, my house was steadfast in causing the most trouble throughout the realm. Infamy and glory a coin that was flipped each time a new Tarquin had been born into the world, all of the human realm interested to see how long this one will live compared to the last.

 

Luckily, I was different. I had not chosen the art of the sword like all the others. I had not trained every waking hour, never would I have arrogance so high that no mountain peak could compare, and not once had I gone out of my way to cause trouble.

 

I prided myself on being quiet and discrete, staying true to the saying I always said.

 

‘Just live, death is guaranteed, life is not.’

 

A special saying, one my mother had told me when I was a child. I had no idea when or why she had said it, the memory fading with all the rest. But I could remember her voice, one that sounded joyful, but was clearly covering how broken she was. This, just like the funeral of my father, I would never forget.

 

“Thank you Cecil, I spoke without thinking.”

 

The old butler huffed, “Like always.”

 

Ouch, but I did not argue further. 

 

My gut was currently flipping over and over as I managed to spot a gleaming blue tower that rose above the crowded streets of Horris. It glistened beautifully like an ocean, its ancient body akin to a spear of sapphire placed right in the midst of the city. The gray stone and brick of the buildings around it being a stark contrast to the fantastical aura it gave off.

 

It was the place that was going to change everything.

 

No longer would I be able to hide away inside the manor and enjoy delicacies to my heart’s content, nor would there be days of laying about my king sized bed and listening to dramas and musicals or reading stories of Frontiersmen and Frontierswomen. 

 

Lewis Bennet, a boy who had never publicly appeared since he was twelve, would soon make a return six years later; how grand.

 

“Now I am sure you remember, but please recite to me the procedure again young master Bennet.” Cecil asked.

 

I caressed my chin as I spoke,“I will be led by a member of the tower to vow my rights to humanity. Then, after donning the ancestral robes, I will be led to the Fire of Awakening where I will be cleansed of mortality. Good enough?”

 

Cecil nodded, “Adequate. Short and concise as I prefer.”

 

I nodded in response, and soon silence came, Myself idly watching the bustling town of Horris with not much interest as it all was familiar.

 

The Carriages pulled by different giant avians could be seen on stone bricked streets, with a scant few still using mare type beasts. There were plenty of fancy and ordinary shops with glass windows to view products, restaurants with terraces and balconies for people to enjoy food on, the light shaking of the ground as golems patrolled the area, and street performers playing pianos or violins. There was also the occasional group of cyclists or children playing football in the street, much to the ire of everyone else.

 

I could not help but smile at the peaceful and elegant sight of the city. The name “City of Stone and Peace” was honestly quite fitting.

 

“We are here,” Cecil dragged me back to reality, something that had happened quite often today.

 

We exited the carriage and arrived in somewhat of a parking space for the tower, countless other carriages lined up perfectly in a row. Without issue, Cecil and I arrived before the grand staircase of marble, my eyebrows raised as I noticed something odd.

 

“Are there no guards?” I asked.

 

“No need, a barrier by a higher ranked Awakened was put in place. No one without prior notice can come within ten meters of the place.

 

“Interesting, when did we pass through it?”

 

Cecil smiled, “You are still mortal, without someone purposely presenting Ember for you, you will not be able to tell.”

 

Ember, he had said it.

 

The mystical power that humanity wielded to fight against the Dark Races. It was currently everywhere in the air, but without being awakened no normal person could wield it. Only the Awakened could do so, and with what little information I was provided, I knew it was not easy. Cecil himself was one, but his rank and power were always a curiosity I really wanted to quench.

 

He had the ability to pressure me and stop me from moving with just a simple glance, and even make me lose control of my bodily functions when that look happened to turn into his infamous scowl.

 

I had poked him with the question occasionally, but he would always expertly avert my curiosity with a vague answer of “Strong enough to protect you.”

 

I quirked my lips at the memory, which helped banish my anxiety along with the remaining distance to the ornate double doors. They stood tall, looming like gods amongst mortals. A full oak tree’s height, along with flowing lines of blue that emitted the same pressure Cecil could.

 

“Lewis.”

 

My name was called, and I gave a side glance to the old butler who had stayed on the first step.

 

“This is as far as I go, there will be someone to walk you through everything. Just know, no matter what you become, I will be there for you.”

 

My previous smirk was now a full blown smile, and any doubt I had was whisked away with my curt nod toward the old man.

 

“I would prefer if you did not go senile and sweet on my yet dear old friend, I have attended too many funerals in my life.”

 

Cecil snorted, “Let us see how long you can quip and wear that mask of confidence. Need I remind you how you once dreaded going into the garden because one of the younger female maids was too pretty?”

 

Tsk, he knew me too well. I was a walking contradiction in a paradox. A person who had enough confidence to lead an army if need be, but would keel over at the thought of dancing in public. A whimsical ball of awkwardness and pride, it was the best description to be honest.

 

“Alright, fair. I will see you on the other side Cecil, I will not be long.”

 

As if on cue, one of the giant doors began to move inward, just enough that I could feasibly walk in. I noticed the silence within the tower, but there was no going back now.

 

A new world, a place my Father thrived in, and horrifyingly the same place he died.

 

I was of the Tarquin House, I knew trouble would find me no matter how far I fled. So, in Tarquin fashion, I should jump in.

2