Chapter 16: A Helping Hand
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another message popped up on my phone:


14:33 Nick: Head to the staff entrance, they know ur coming


Staff entrance... Where would that be?

I had never been to such an event before. I was clueless.

As I tried to navigate through the pulsating crowd, the cacophony of voices, and the palpable excitement were overwhelming. A surge of people pushed past me, jostling me from side to side. I felt hands brushing against me, elbows knocking into my side.

Anxiety began to suffocate me. My heart raced faster, and my breaths became shallow. My vision got blurry, as if I were drowning in a sea of people.
Suddenly something grabbed my hand tightly.

Marius?! I immediatle thought, but he wouldn't be so rough on me, would he?

"Come on," a familiar voice demanded through the surrounding chaos. Startled, I turned to locate the source, piercing grey eyes awaiting mine. They were surrounded by sharp features accentuated by a pale hue on an angular face, contrasting starkly with raven-black hair. I'd never truly locked eyes with him like this before, feeling a touch of discomfort before lowering my gaze.

"Follow me," he commanded, his tone brooking no argument as he tightened his grip, urging me forward.

Among our group, Finn remained an enigma to me – I couldn't tell what he was up to. Did he go out here looking for me? Or was it just coincidence?

Without looking back even once, he began to weave expertly through the crowd, pulling me along with him. His grip was firm, guiding me through the maze of bodies, sidestepping and maneuvering with ease.

As we moved, I could feel the tension in my chest start to dissipate. The walls of people seemed to blur into the background as Finn led the way. The weight on my shoulders lightened, but the unease of holding hands with someone filled me with diffrent kinds of fears.

Within what felt like an eternity but was only a minute or two, Finn steered us toward a less congested area. He nodded toward a guarded entrance marked 'Staff Only.'

With a swift motion, Finn flashed a badge that hung around his neck to the security personnel by the entrance. They nodded in recognition, immediately allowing us passage. The chaotic sounds of the crowd began to fade behind us as we entered a more controlled environment. I had always imagined how cool one must feel enjoying the privilege of walking past the line of people and entering the VIP lounge, but it hadn't quite met my expectations. There wasn't much going on there.

Releasing my hand, Finn turned to face me. "You looked like you could use some help," he said. I wasn't sure if it was meant in a nice, or mocking way.

I took a moment, catching my breath, feeling both grateful and bewildered. "Thank you," I managed to utter, my voice still shaky. "I didn't expect... I mean, why did you–"

“We gotta go, everyone's waiting for us,” he interrupted, not seeming to care about my confusion. I just nodded as he walked ahead, quickening my pace to keep up with him. The further we went, the more evident became the vastness of the venue. It was a true paradise for any gaming enthusiast. The atmosphere was electrifying.

Vivid neon lights illuminated the pathways, casting a radiant glow that reflected off sleek glass surfaces and polished floors, creating a mesmerizing kaleidoscope of colors that danced across the ground.

Catching my eye, a massive LED screen showcased the live broadcast of the event, featuring two of the most famous German League of Legends content creators inside a glass cabin. They were 'Noway' and 'Tolkin', who had been present in the e-sports scene for over 25 years.

Just the two of them could gather at least a hundred thousand viewers on the stream. 'Noway', in particular, was where my biggest hopes lay. Like me, he was a mid-laner specializing in artillery and control mages. Despite his limitations in flexibility and mechanical skill, he had still made a name for himself in the early years of LoL e-sports. If he were to praise my gameplay, it would carry significant weight for me and any teams in search of a mid-laner.

Pausing briefly, a surge of adrenaline coursed through my veins as I envisioned the electrifying moments ahead. I pictured myself executing breathtaking plays, riling up the crowd into a fervent frenzy. Their unified voices would rise in a deafening chant, echoing throughout the arena:
"NOIR! NOIR! NOIR!"

Behind the casters, I could see the vast expanse of the arena, filled with thousands of cheering fans. The idea of playing out there was simply unbelievable to me.

Hopefully they won't be too loud... I worried, but maybe this would be the one exception where it would be fine for me.

"If you're going to stay dizzy, you'll run me down in-game," Finn yelled across the room, ripping me out of my daydream.

"What? S-sorry!" I quickened my pace, feeling the urgency in Finn's strides ahead of me.

As we navigated through a particularly vibrant hallway adorned with banners of various gaming teams and titles, I tried to keep pace with Finn's determined stride. The weight of the moment began to settle in. Here I was, amidst the grandeur of a world I had always admired from a distance, about to partake in an event that could shape my future in the competitive gaming scene.

"Are you nervous?" Finn suddenly asked, his voice, though still assertive, carried a hint of curiosity.

I looked up, meeting his serious expression. The question caught me off guard, causing a brief moment of hesitation before I responded. "Uhm... Quite a lot, I'd say."

He didn't give a reaction, just listened and stared at me.

"What about you?" I asked, feeling the need to keep the conversation going.

Finn shrugged idifferently. "I've had much worse situations in life; this ain't nothing compared to it."

Nodding slowly, I tried to decipher what lay behind his words. "Sounds like you've been through a lot," I ventured cautiously, unsure of how deep I could probe into his personal history.

He offered a faint smile, the first sign of any emotion beyond his usual withdrawn demeanor. "There's always some shit going on," he began. "Some you expect, others blindside you. But it's all about how you respond."

"And how do you respond?" I probed gently, genuinely curious about the experiences that had shaped him into the person he was today.

A momentary shadow crossed Finn's face, hinting at a turbulent past. "By pushing forward," he replied, his voice firmer now. "By focusing on what's ahead rather than dwelling on the past. There's always a game to be played, a new challenge to overcome. That's what keeps me going."

"That's a pretty resilient way to approach life,“ I said, accompanied by soft laughter, as if I tried to take some weight out of what he said. He talked about problems as if life was a game, but still seemed to be serious about it.

He glanced at me, his eyes softening a bit. "Resilience isn't always a choice," he replied. "Sometimes, it's the only option you have."



14:42

As we approached a set of double doors, I could hear muffled voices and the faint hum of activity. Finn paused momentarily, giving me a brief, inscrutable glance before pushing the doors open. We stepped into a spacious room filled with familiar faces. The ambiance was a blend of tension and anticipation.

I caught Marius' eye; he seemed surprised to see me, but his expression quickly turned into a smirk. “Well rested, sleepyhead?” he teased, trying to read my emotions. Although I automtically smiled as I saw him, it wasn't a bright one. Not wanting to make him worried, I forced myself to say something. “Y-yea.”

“Sorry for being late,” Finn said, sitting down in one of the chairs arranged in a semi-circle at the center of the room. Without a word, I hesitated for a brief moment, glancing around at the others before taking a seat.
To both my surprise and demise, we were the last ones to arrive. I didn't expect Gregor to be here already, but obviously wasn't mad about it.

As everyone took their seats, Nick rose to his feet. "Sooo, today's the day of truth! The day we've been training for!" he declared, his voice infused with enthusiasm yet tinged with a hint of nervousness. “Let's discuss our plan for today. What do you guys think?”

Despite his motivated tone, everyone remained grim, looking at him in silence. Usually, this would have been the moment for the coach to speak up, but Nick clearly knew his place and didn't attempt to take on that role. Not because he didn't want to; I was certain he would have loved to, but rather because he knew his expertise was lacking.

"Let's talk about bans first," Janosch said, remaining seated, unlike Nick, who kept standing, perhaps out of nervousness or maybe just dedication.

Admid the chatter, someone whispered into my ear. "Sorry for not waking you up. But you seemed so... peaceful."

Peaceful? The realization that Marius had observed me sleeping sent a peculiar sensation coursing through me. Before I could ponder how to respond to such a statement, my thoughts were interrupted.

GRUMBLE! GRUMBLE!

My stomach betrayed me, pleading loudly for something to eat. I flushed with embarrassment, hoping no one had heard.

Marius chuckled, "Seems like you had a stressful morning, huh?"

"Y-yes..." I stammered, laughing nervously.

"Don't worry, I've got your back," he said, extending an apple toward me. I was taken aback. Had he really been carrying it around for me? Yet again his kindness surprised me, while also leaving me with a lingering sense of unease, as if something was amiss. Or perhaps, I felt undeserving?

Glancing at his hand, I noticed something unusual about Marius; it seemed as if his composure was beginning to crumble. His hand... It was trembling.

1