Volume 1: Arc 2: Chapter 22: Manipulation Mishap
116 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the incident with Isabella, due to her lack of experience in the kitchen, she nearly started a fire. When the neighbors rushed over, they saw Isabella and her family covered in black soot, and the house in chaos.

This incident quickly became the talk of the village, eliciting laughter from everyone. Many were baffled by how such chaos could arise from simple kitchen work. However, there were exceptions, namely the neighbors residing next to Isabella's house. They were frightened at the prospect of Isabella inadvertently starting a fire that could potentially burn down the entire village. Being the first ones in line for potential harm, they were eager to take precautionary measures.

In order to save their own skin, they approached Sera, requesting permission to teach Isabella household chores. Sera acquiesced, but stipulated that they refrain from providing cooked meals.

After rigorous and patient teaching and practice along with Reynard's and Julian’s unwavering assistance in handling laundry and household duties, Isabella’s family finally had a barely edible meal after a month. Meanwhile, Reynard, Julian and Isabella had become lean and destitute due to lack of adequate food and clean clothing.

Raven's Crest buzzed with laughter and gossip about Isabella's family situation. However, as time passed, people's curiosity gradually waned, returning the village to its mundane routine.

****

In the castle's tranquil courtyard, leaves carried a gentle breeze, Tia gazed at the sky as his mind drifted through a myriad of thoughts.

‘A year had passed since Baron Rolland and his family's visit to Raven's Crest. Life in the village continued as usual, marked by significant changes.

‘To start, numerous children from noble and merchant families began proposing marriage to Sera. Some suggested an engagement between their children and Vina. Naturally, these would be engagements for the future, with the actual marriage ceremony to follow later on. There were even requests for my hand in marriage, and some audaciously proposed marrying both Vina and me. Well fuck off.

‘I was utterly dismayed when I heard about this. Some of them seemed like pigs in human form. To begin with, the idea of marrying another man was utterly inconceivable to me—I simply don't swing that way. Furthermore, the notion of having a stepfather or a brother-in-law didn't sit well with me. Their blatant desire for the title of Baron can’t be any more obvious.

‘Thankfully, Mother rejected all of them. Some individuals even resorted to threats. However, Sera remained steadfast, and they didn't push too far, likely because they knew mother had the support of Countess Ravenna.

‘Julian and his family fell silent. Julian ceased his bullying behavior, and Isabella rarely ventured out of their house. Yet, their disdain for others remained evident on their faces. While people were initially amused, they soon lost interest and paid them no further attention.

‘The most significant change, which directly concerns me, is Vina. 

‘Ever since aunt Eleanor pulled her stunt of punishing doggy Rolly, Vina began to change gradually. She used to be a bundle of bright laughter, laughing from the depths of her heart. Her infectious smile could light up any room. However, at some point, she stopped laughing altogether. In front of Mother and me, she even ceased to smile.

‘She no longer shares what's on her mind with us. She used to be very clingy to both Mother and me. But now she distances herself from us mentally. She only smiles when we're with our friends, but otherwise, she seems lost in her own thoughts.

‘I feel a deep sense of bitterness whenever I see her like this.

‘Though, Mother doesn't seem concerned about Vina at all. Whenever I express my worries to her, she brushes it off, saying that Vina just needs some time for herself and asks me to give her space. But with each passing day, I can't shake the feeling that she's only getting worse.

“Haaa” Tia sighed deeply.

"What's got you sighing so deeply?" Sera, who arrived at some point, asked the concerned Tia.

"Mother," Tia looked at Sera, who is as beautiful as ever.

"Are you worried about Vina?" Sera gently patted Tia's head.

Tia nodded.

"Didn't I tell you not to worry?"

"But, Mother..."

"Don't worry. This is necessary for her," Sera reassured.

"Alright."

"Tia," Sera called.

"Yes?"

"A new pastor has arrived in Raven's Crest. Tomorrow, we'll visit the shrine to greet him and discuss some matters with Priest Benedict."

"Okay."

"Alright, let's go study."

"Yes."

‘A new pastor, huh? The castle maids and servants have been gossiping about him. Apparently, he's very young, handsome, and friendly. It's a refreshing change in this monotonous village. I look forward to meeting him.’ Tia thought

***** 

Copyright © [May] [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

(I am fast forwarding here. For those who do not follow or those who skipped beginning chapters, please read chapters 2-10 for following story)

Meeting Kevin.

…..

Discussion with Priest Benedict.

…..

Establishing a Mock-School

….

Vina, Tia, Emma, Sarah, Julian and his minions, Ron, Ember, Olivia, Rose, Lilian, Luke, Tyke, and other friends join Kevin’s class.

….

Kevin’s visit to Baroness’s castle.

….

Encountering Ethan.

….

Kevin’s explanation of the world’s general knowledge in his class.

….

‘Wow! So, this world has magic.’ Tia thought to himself.

….

‘Heroes and angels?’

‘Hmm, maybe Vina and I are descendants of some heroes or angels.’

…..

Lilith

…..

‘Demon kin who inherited demon bloodlines?’

….

‘Drawbacks?’

….

‘If I think back to it, the reason why mother is still feeding her milk, and the reason why we feel weakened whenever we don’t drink mother’s breast milk, is it possible that it is a drawback due to us being someone of demon’s bloodline?

‘If descendants of vampires need to drink some blood from time to time to sustain themselves, what kind of demons will require them to keep drinking their mother’s milk to sustain themselves?

‘I don't see my mother drinking her mother’s milk anymore. Maybe it is only till we reach adulthood.

‘But, are we really of Demon Kin?’

…..

Tia, Vina, Julian and gang gets kidnapped by Ethan and his cult

…..

Malachi and Ethan conduct a demonic ritual to summon a demon knight.

…..

Kevin, Benedict and villagers search for children

….

Kevin and Benedict fights Malachi and Ethan

…..

Vina and Tia foiling the summoning ritual

….

Sera killing Malachi and Ethan

….

Aftermath

…..

Kevin questioning the baroness

****** 

Copyright © [May] [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

A few days after the dust settled. In Sera's office room within Raven's Crest castle, Sera is dealing with some paperwork while Emma is assisting her. 

Sera, Vina, Tia  and Emma wore simple yet elegant gowns, brought by traveling merchants thanks to the further development of roadways discussed with Baron Rolland.

From time to time, they are watching the scene unfolding before them, in amusement.

“Vina”

“…”

“Vina, talk to me.”

“….”

"Vina" 

On a sofa Tia is trying to coax a response by pestering Vina who stopped responding to him. 

Vina remained silent, seated on the sofa with her hands folded in a gesture of defiance. Her eyes closed, and her head turned away from Tia, her lips forming a cute pout.

This caused Tia to sigh deeply. ‘Ahaaa, it's been like this since the kidnapping incident. Can't help it. I have to take drastic measures,’ Tia resolved himself silently.

He started to prepare himself mentally.

‘Depressed expression, check.’

‘Puppy face, check’

‘Teary eyes, check’

‘Doremon, check’

‘Standby, Roll camera, and action.’

“Mother…., help me” Tia dashed to Sera, who was seated, and began tugging at her hand, wearing the most convincing expression of distress he could muster.

Sera chuckled in amusement. "Alright, you can stop. You have no talent in acting."

‘Giku,’ Tia felt a bit embarrassed at being caught.

"Tch, am I so obvious?" he clicked his tongue in frustration.

"Hahaha," Sera and Emma burst into laughter, unable to contain themselves any longer.

"Were you trying to imitate Liora?" Sera asked with a playful grin.

"Maybe," Tia replied, looking away to avoid eye contact. 'I can't say that I was imitating Nobita.'

"But Mother, help me. Vina isn't talking to me," Tia pleaded earnestly.

"Alright," Sera replied, tousling Tia's head affectionately.

"Vina, come here," Sera called out to Vina, who still wore a serious expression on her face.

Vina approached Sera, who lifted both Vina and Tia and placed them on her writing table. With a calm demeanor, Sera addressed Vina.

"Now, Vina, will you tell me why you're punishing your sister?" she inquired gently.

"Because she didn't listen to me," Vina responded sternly.

"What didn't she listen to you about?"

"When we were kidnapped, I urged Tia to leave with me to escape into the forest. But she stubbornly refused to budge," Vina explained with a vengeful expression.

"Tia, why did you refuse?" Sera redirected her query.

"That's because Teacher Kevin and the guards were already there. If we ran into the forest, we might get lost, or maybe some other monster may attack us. And also, we can't just leave our friends there," Tia defended his decision.

"There, you have your explanation," Sera stated calmly.

"But what if something happens?" Vina still did not relent.

"Then, did something happen?" Sera countered.

“No” after a moment of silence, Vina shook her head meekly.

“If Tia was to heed your words, are you confident that you will be able to protect her?”

“No, but….”

“On the other hand, because of Tia’s decision, everything is settled very neatly.”

‘In many ways’ Sera thought to herself. 

"Vina, you're not really angry at Tia," Sera began gently.

“???”

Confusion flickered across Vina's face as she listened intently.

"You're just afraid. You're afraid that something might happen to Tia. And you're venting that fear in the form of anger towards Tia," Sera continued, her voice soothing.

"But, you don't have to do that anymore. You and Tia, both of you are safe now. As long as I am with you, I will not allow anyone to hurt you both. So, you don't have to hold yourself in anymore, alright?"

…..

As Sera's words sank in, Vina's eyes welled up with tears. 

“Bwaaa,” suddenly, she burst into tears, releasing all her repressed fears and feelings. 

Sera stood up and embraced Vina, allowing her to cry to her heart's content while gently stroking her head, offering comfort and reassurance.

……

……

After crying out her emotions, Vina finally calmed down.

“Are you alright now?” Sera asked gently.

“Hmm,” Vina nodded.

“But mother, she should still listen to me next time.” Vina pointed out.

"Tia, promise me you will listen to me," Vina turned to Tia.

"That..." Tia hesitated, unsure of how to respond.

“Why are you not promising me?” Vina looked like she was about to cry again.

"That's because I can't promise something I'm not sure I can keep," Tia replied meekly.

“What was that?” Vina became angry.

“Nothing” Tia shirked.

“Haha, Vina, why do you want Tia to listen to you?” Sera chuckled.

“So that I can protect him.” Vina replied with determination.

‘Him?’ Emma, who was standing nearby, thought to herself. 'Maybe she misspoke.’

"Then, if something like this happens again, do you want to run away again?" Sera questioned gently.

“Yes”

“Vina, in the future, if Tia asks for something and it is dangerous. Or if we are in a situation where it is dangerous, what will you do? Do you want Tia to let go of her wishes?”

“….”

“Or Do you not want to fulfill Tia’s wishes?”

“I want to but….” Vina trailed off, feeling torn.

"You want to give Tia what she wants, but you're afraid it might harm her?"

Vina nodded.

"Hmm, then why don't you try to become stronger?" Sera suggested with a warm smile.

“Huh? Strong?” Vina looked puzzled.

“Yes, become strong. Become someone with good authority. At that time, you can have many subordinates below you and you can wield power so that you can protect Tia and fulfill her wishes.”

‘Th-This Sera, she is trying to motivate Vina to become her heir.’ Emma realized, stunned by Sera's manipulation.

Emma thought ‘Hmm, I see where she's going with this. Although Tia appears more intelligent and mature for her age, she seems too kind-hearted to be a ruler. 

‘On the other hand, Vina is not only the eldest, she possesses intelligence and courage. It might indeed be a good choice.’ 

“Strong, powerful.” vina mumbled to herself.

“Ah, Vina, status also.” Sera tried to add the word to vina’s mumbling list.

"Strong and powerful," Vina repeated quietly to herself.

“Miss Vina, are you listening?” Sera tried again.

“Yes, mother, I will become someone who is strong and powerful to protect Tia and you. I will not let anyone touch you two. I will beat all the bad guys up.” Vina declared excitedly with clenched fists.

‘She is not listening at all.’ Sera did not know whether to cry or laugh.

"Tia, don't worry, I will fulfill all your wishes and protect you and Mother," Vina clenched her fist over her chest in a solemn gesture.

“Okay” Tia nodded blankly, unable to understand what was going on in front of him.

‘Why is everyone talking like it is guaranteed that something like this will happen to me again? Please don’t raise any flags here. I want to live peacefully.’ Tia felt an ominous sense of foreboding.

Emma, who is watching the scene, is trying to stifle her laughter.

“Aunt Emma, why are you laughing?” Tia asked curiously in a low voice.

“That’s because your mother is trying to motivate Vina to become a noble with status, but Vina is motivated to gain power. Which is not exactly what Sera wants.” Emma responded in a low voice

“Are power and status different?” Tia asked, confused.

"Yes, for example, take Guard Captain Alaric. He has the power to fight other people. But Sera, who has the status of a Baroness, has the authority to order many people, similar to Alaric. That's why Sera wants Vina to become someone with good status. This way, even if she's not powerful herself, she can command other powerful people to do her bidding.

“But vina seems to be getting motivated to become someone like Alaric.”

"Hehe, so it backfired as Vina misunderstood Mother's intentions," Tia felt enlightened by Emma's explanation.

"Yes, as Sera said previously, Vina's ears conveniently left out the status part," Emma added, snickering together with Tia.

Sera glared at the duo, who were having fun at her expense, causing them to quickly turn away and whistle innocently.

"Haaa," Sera sighed deeply in helplessness, feeling exasperated at the duo's antics and Vina's unintended excitement.

‘Vina, members of our family are not the powerful or strong type. We are weak in direct fights,’ Sera thought inwardly unable to speakout. 

‘No matter, it's enough for now. In the future, when she reaches her limit to become strong, I can guide her in a different path," Sera tried to encourage herself, though a sense of unease lingered.

Somehow she feels something is off, but she is unable to point it out.


Copyright © [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, contact the publisher at [[email protected]].
5