Volume 1: Arc 2: Chapter 24: Foreboding Choice
130 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sera sighed deeply, “Haaa, Why are you here mother?” 

“Oh my, is this how you greet your mother who came to visit her favorite daughter? I am feeling very hurt.” Ravenna wiped her invisible tears with her fingers.

Sera's lips twitched, unsure of how to respond.

Before Sera could say anything, Ravenna hugged her daughter tightly. "I am glad that you are doing well."

Initially taken aback, Sera eventually returned the hug with a warm smile. "Me too."

Meanwhile, Vina looked on curiously at the countess.

Tia is stunned at Sera’s exchange with the countess. ‘Once, I asked my mother why we kiss each other. To which mom explained that, In our clan, kissing is quite common and most of them do it even as a form of greeting. Not just between lovers.

‘But it is not like they kiss anyone and everyone.

‘A lip to lip kiss is done only between those whom they love and trust.

‘And there is one exception to this. Of course, she did not explain about it. Again stating her usual excuse that she would explain everything when we grow up.’ Tia sighed inwardly.

Ravenna, who released her embrace from Sera, knelt down and smiled gently at the children. 

"So these are my grandchildren," she remarked, softly patting Vina and Tia with warmth in her eyes. 

“Are you our grand-mother?” asked Vina, curiously.

"Yes, I am your grandmother."

‘It's surreal to see a girl in her late teens like her calling herself a grandmother,’ Tia thought.

“My name is Ravenna Obscuritas. We met when you were little, Vina, so you might have forgotten me. You are Tia. This must be your first time meeting me. Although I saw you when you were a baby, I did not have the leeway to hold you at that time. ”

‘Ah! Now I remember meeting her when I was little. But didn’t know what was happening at that time as it was too chaotic’ realized Tia.

“Huh!” 

Ravenna suddenly paused, sensing something as she approached Tia and took a sniff. Her eyes widened, a mysterious smile playing on her lips.

"Eleanor is still naïve," she remarked, turning to Sera with a hint of amusement. "Isn’t she?"

Sera just smiled wordlessly.

"But her daughter is a sharp one, yet she is still young," Ravenna remarked.

"Yeah," Sera agreed, chuckling. "In the future, she might grow up to be very scary."

"That damn maid spy, why didn't she inform me about this?" Ravenna squinted her eyes.

"Don't blame her, I asked her to keep quiet," Sera defended the wet nurse.

"Hurmp, but I will still speak to her later," Ravenna insisted.

Sera smiled and gestured towards the seats. "Why don’t we sit down and talk?" 

Ravenna settled into a chair, lifting Vina and Tia onto her lap as she pondered something.

Everyone took their seats around the wooden table.

"Are you really our grandmother?" Tia's question pulled Ravenna out of her reverie.

“Why? Do you think I am not?” Ravenna smiled as she gently stroked Tia’s head.

“You seem to be younger than Mother.”

“Haha, that’s because of magic.” Ravenna chuckled. 

"When a person awakens their magic and completes their first evolution, their bodies revert back to adolescence. The extent of this reversion can vary based on many factors. But once a person starts to train in magic, their lifespan extends at least by twice, and they can also maintain their youth for a long time," Ravenna explained.

"Then why is Mother growing normally? She awakened her magic, right?"

“Her situation is a bit complex. It is rare but similar cases were seen from time to time. While she did awaken her magic, the artifact she inherited is hindering her evolution. 

“Consequently, she can only use magic sparingly, unable to maintain her youth like others and will slowly grow older just like normal people.”

"What about Aunt Eleanor? She's growing older, similar to Mother, isn't she?"

“Eleanor has yet to complete her first evolution for the reversion process. Next time you see her, I am sure she will be much younger.”

"I see,” Tia contemplated.

“Then what about Tia and me? Will we be able to use magic? Or will we be similar to our mother?” Vina interjected curiously.

“I don’t know.” Ravenna shook her head, “No one can be sure if a person will be capable of using magic or not.”

“Still, you both are of my bloodline, there is a high probability that you will be able to awaken your magic abilities. Sera’s case is just bad luck and rarely seen, so it may not happen to you or vina. But there are never any guarantees in this regard.” 

Ravenna explained to Tia without any impatience without ignoring Tia and vina as kids.

"Grandmother, what is evolution and the bloodline you are talking about? And why is Mother not living with you?" Tia asked.

‘Frankly, this is what I want to know the most?’ Tia thought.

"These are matters we cannot disclose to you just yet. It's a rule in our family to keep certain information secret from children until they come of age. You'll have to wait a few more years before Sera explains everything to you. Understand?" Ravenna replied gently.

“Okay” Tia acquiesced, since he cannot do anything about it anyway.

“On the other hand, Vina will soon be an adult in a few years. You can ask Sera at that time.”

Vina pondered for a moment before shaking her head. “No, I will wait until Tia becomes an adult too. I don’t want Tia to be alone.”

‘Vina…’ a warm feeling rose in Tia’s heart.

“What a thoughtful girl you are,” Ravenna ruffled Vina’s hair.

“Grandmother, if we can use magic, can we become strong like you and Teacher Kevin?” Vina asked curiously.

“Yes, of course. But to what extent you can become strong is also dependent on luck and yourself. Do you want to be strong?”

“Yes”

“Why?”

“So that I can protect Mother and Tia.” Vina replied, determined.

“Hahaha, I see. You are a protector,” Ravenna chuckled, affectionately pampering Vina.

Copyright © [May] [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

"Grandmother, are they also our relatives?" Vina asked, pointing at the other three.

“Yes, the gentle one is Aiden Obscuritas”

“Hai” Aiden waved his hand.

“The cheeky one is Lila Obscuritas”

“Hai kids, I am the cheeky one.” Lila chuckled.

“The serious one is Isolde Obscuritas”

Isolde nodded without any reply.

“All of them are my wives and your Step-Grandparents.”

“….”

‘Did I hear wrong. They are her wives? Isn’t Aiden a man? And isn't grandmother a woman?’ Tia felt puzzled.

“Grandmother, you have so many wives? Is he not the husband?” Vina asked, confused.

Ravenna chuckled, “I have a total of 19 wives and, all 19 of them combinedly have 53 concubines. A mix of men and women.”

“So many?” Tia’s eyes widened in astonishment.

‘Would she be able to satisfy them all?’ Tia thought.

Ravenna chuckled, “The concept of husband and wife is different in our clan. In normal society, there is usually the role of wife and husband. But in our family, we have husband and wife as outer roles. But internally, we have multiple roles. For example, Aiden over there is a caregiver, while Vina, you seem to be someone suited for the role of a protector.”

“Then what about aunt Eleanor? How many aunts and uncles do we have?”

"Well, I have a total of five children. Sera is my eldest, and Eleanor is my second daughter."

"Grandmother, if they are our Step-Grandparents, then who is Mother's and Aunt Eleanor's father?" Tia asked.

“Elea’s father did not come with me today. Sera doesn’t have a father.”

“???” Tia made a puzzled expression.

“Same goes for you two. Both of you also do not have a father. Maybe it can also be said that we can’t be sure who the father is.”

“???” 

‘How is it possible to have no father?’ Tia was going crazy internally.

"Don’t worry, Sera will also explain this in the future," Ravenna assured them.

“Okay” Tia and vina nodded obediently. 

‘More confusing and unanswered questions for the future.' Tia sighed internally.

After a moment of silence, Aiden spoke up. "How are you doing, Sera?"

“I am doing fine.”

“What he meant to ask is, how are you holding up your sanity?” Isolde interjected, sternly.

"It's under control," Sera replied with a forced smile.

"That's impossible. It's not something you can keep under control with Lamia's Embrace," Lila chimed in. "In fact, it will make matters worse."

Sera smiled but remained silent.

"Ravenna is also very concerned about you. That's why we rushed in," Aiden added.

“You don’t have to worry anymore,” Ravenna interjected.

"What do you mean?" asked Lila, furrowing her brows with concern.

“…”

“…”

“…”

Ravenna remained silent but continued to stroke Vina and Tia affectionately.

"Is it Tia?" Suddenly, Isolde widened her eyes in realization.

“I think it is both Vina and Tia,” Ravenna corrected her after a moment of contemplation.

“…”

“Is it a trinity?” Aiden asked, surprised.

“Possible” Ravenna replied.

“No, it’s a Perfect Trinity.” Isolde said, still in shock.

“…”

“That’s impossible. Without that rare constitution….” Lila shouted in surprise but suddenly realized something.

Aiden turned his attention to Tia and Vina, “Tia has that constitution?”

"But it's still not enough unless..." Lila paused, a dawning realization crossing her features.

"Tia is a boy, and you disguised him as a girl," Isolde stated her hypothesis bluntly.

"A boy with that constitution, who is a direct descendant of Ravenna," Lila gulped.

"Not to mention, both their birth circumstances are also unique and never seen in our records," Isolde concluded, her gaze fixed on Tia.

All three of their gazes turned greedy, including Aiden, as they looked at Tia.

Sera's expression turned stern, and a palpable sense of danger emanated from her as she started to release killing intent.

Snap 

Ravenna snapped her finger bringing everyone down their emotional roller coast.

Soon everyone composed themselves.

While Sera remained silent, her expression is inscrutable. 

“Sera, I don’t know whether to call you lucky or unlucky.” Aiden smiled bitterly.

Sera smiled without replying.

“Keep this a secret for now from the rest of the family.” Ravenna ordered.

“But…” Lila tried to speak.

“Understood?” Ravenna ordered, her tone leaving no room for argument.

“Fine,” Lila conceded.

‘Again, with the desire and greed filled looks’ Tia couldn't shake off the sense of unease.

“Grandmother, what are you talking about?” Tia asked, trying to get some info.

"It’s nothing, just that you have a constitution very few people in our family have. Three of my wives are similar to you. But when it comes to you, it is very special to an absurd degree. Don’t ask any further. I believe Sera should be the one to decide when to explain about it to you after you awaken your magic," Ravenna replied cryptically.

"At that time, you will have to make a choice. But you will only have one chance to decide. Once you make it, you cannot go back. Things will change for you and everyone forever. Currently you are not yet capable of making that choice. When the time comes, discard any fear, prejudice, or influence from others' opinions and follow what your heart truly desires most. Regardless of your choice, I will protect you," Ravenna promised, her words laden with gravity.

‘Choice? Follow my desires? Where have I heard it? Why does mother look so serious?’ Tia pondered.

Tia's thoughts raced, trying to make sense of Ravenna's words, suddenly, a memory surfaced in Tia's mind. 

Why don't you try to unleash your inner desires and act according to them for some time?

‘Old Monk.’ Tia recalled the words of the monk echoing from his past life.


Copyright © [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, contact the publisher at [[email protected]].
4