Volume 1: Chapter 14: Baron Rolland Visits
556 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the heart of Raven’s Crest village, the baroness's castle buzzes with activity. Servants hurry through the stone corridors, crafting culinary delights in the kitchen, polishing every surface in the grand hall, and meticulously tending to the castle gardens. The village's own residents who were recruited as guards, stood sentinel at the entrance. Despite lacking formal training, their genuine dedication and commitment are evident, their simple uniforms worn with pride. The air is alive with the coordinated efforts of the villagers and the palpable sense of community, ensuring banquet tables are adorned with the finest linens and guest rooms exude comfort and charm. The desolate castle, now hums with purpose.

Tia is watching the lively castle. ‘The castle has been quite lively since yesterday. Mother has specially permitted the guards to enter the castle to stand guard and instructed maids to prepare lunch and dinner.

‘Due to mother’s adept diplomacy, Sir Rolland, the neighboring baron, is on his way to visit with his wife and daughter.

‘According to the gossiping maids, baron’s 5th son abducted mother from a village in Baron Rolland’s territory. But it was destroyed a few years back due to monster attack. Everyone related to mother died in the village. I don’t know if it is good luck that she escaped the monster attack, or bad luck that she was brought to the ravencrest and lost her entire family.’

As the afternoon sun climbs, a procession takes shape at the village's forefront. Carriages, elegantly drawn by horses, lead the way with Baron Rolland's soldiers marching in formation. Villagers lined the road in eager anticipation as the procession approached, creating a moment of grandeur in anticipation of Baron Rolland's arrival. Escorted by his soldiers, the carriages made their way to RavenCrest Castle.

At the castle's entrance, Sera, Vina, and Tia stood in anticipation, having received the message of the baron's arrival. Sera wore a rich gown that mirrors the hues of RavenCrest. Her gown, elegant and regal, is adorned with intricate embroidery. A circlet, embedded with a RavenCrest gem, rests upon her black hair, adding a touch of noble grace to her appearance.

Vina, dons a gown that reflects her free-spirited nature. The fabric, in shades reminiscent of a forest, is embellished with subtle leaf patterns. A simple yet charming headdress of woven vines adorns her hair, giving her an air of natural beauty.

Tia, wears a gown in serene, celestial blues. A crescent moon pendant hangs gracefully around her neck.

Tia thought, ‘since mother became a baroness, this is the first time someone is visiting.’

Accompanying Sera are Emma, Sera's chief steward, dressed in a flowing gown stands as a poised and capable Lady. Her chestnut-brown tresses gracefully frame her face.

Sir Alaric, responsible for the security of the territory, stands tall in his armor, bearing the emblem of RavenCrest.

Lady Elara, the head maid, wears a gown of muted earth tones, practical yet dignified.

Priest Benedict, clad in priestly robes, exudes an aura of spiritual wisdom. And other staff who are in charge of various tasks are also present to welcome the baron.

‘It’s a good opportunity to observe baron Rolland and his family.’ Priest Benedict thought.

As Baron Rolland's carriages approached, his soldiers formed a protective perimeter around the carriages. The soldiers, bearing the baron's crest, ensured a secure and orderly arrival.

The baron's carriage came to a halt near Sera's group. As the door opened, Baron Rolland descended. In his mid-twenties, he presented a slim figure with delicate features, blonde hair, a cleanly shaved face, and distinctive yellow pupils. His attire, a red shirt paired with black pants, exuded a subtle elegance.

As the baron extended his hand towards the carriage, Eleanor, his wife, gracefully accepted it for support and descended along with her daughter. In her early twenties, cascading blonde waves framed her delicate face, and sparkling green eyes added depth. A curvy figure enhanced her allure, adorned in an orange regal gown with intricate embroidery and various jewelry, radiating regality and grace.

Except for Sera and Benedict, who maintain their composure, everyone present in the scene is instantly captivated by Eleanor's beauty.

'Wow! This is my first time seeing someone more beautiful than Mother. She seems more like a rich lady than a noble one.' Tia marveled. 'Mom always said that beyond the village, there are many who surpass her in beauty. Now I understand.'

Following Eleanor, a girl of around 7 emerges from the carriage, bearing striking similarities to her mother. Her blonde hair is styled in a neat braid, and she exudes youthful innocence.

As the trio approached Sera, Sir Alaric observed, ‘His gait and slightly dropped shoulders show his lack of self-confidence. He seems to be a pampered young master.’

Baron Rolland bowed, “Greetings, Baroness Sera RavenCrest. I am Rolland Ravenshield. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Greetings Baron Rolland. Welcome to Raven’s Crest. It’s a delight to make your acquaintance.” Sera greeted by slightly lifting her skirt with her fingers.

“This is my wife, Eleanor.”

“Eleanor Ravenshield. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Madam Sera.” Eleanor made a curtsy in a sweet voice.

“Pleased to meet you too, Madam Eleanor,” Sera lifted her skirt slightly.

“This is my daughter, Liora.”

“Liora Ravenshield. Nice to meet you, Madam Baroness.” Liora curtsied adorably.

Sera smiled, “Nice to meet you too, young lady.”

“These are my children, Vina and Tia.”

“Vina Ravencrest, nice to meet you Sir Baron, Madam Eleanor, Miss Liora.” Vina lifter her gown slightly. “Madam Eleanor, you are very beautiful.” Vina complemented.

“Thank you, vina. You are sweet.” Eleanor chuckled.

“Tia Ravencrest, nice to meet you.” Tia followed suit.

“Nice to meet you too young ladies.”

“These are Emma, my chief steward, Sir Alaric, the guard commander, and Sir Benedict, the priest of the shrine.” Sera introduced everyone present.

Baron Rolland took the opportunity to introduce his accompanying staff, "Allow me to introduce my esteemed companions."

He gestured towards a knight, adorned in a finely crafted armor displaying the baron's crest.

"This is Sir Everard, my trusted knight. Sir Cedric, my advisor.”

The entourage extended to his steward and herald who bore the baron's insignia proudly.

After exchanging pleasantries, Sera said, “Let's go inside the castle. You must be very tired due to your journey. Take some rest and join us for lunch in some time. We can discuss the official matters after lunch.”

“Alright, we will be in your care.”

“It’s a pleasure.”

Copyright © [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

After a period of rest and refreshment, Sera, accompanied by her children, and Baron Rolland with his family, reconvened for a friendly lunch.

Noting the etiquette contrast between the baron's family and Sera's, Emma thought, 'Due to her commoner origins, the baroness lacks training in this area, unlike those of noble birth who learn and practice from childhood. Later, I should suggest she learn proper etiquette and extend the lessons to the staff.'

Then, the group proceeded to Baronial Chamber, to delve into official matters and engage in discussions.

It’s a spacious room, adorned with rich tapestries depicting the history of the territory, and large windows allowed ample natural light to cascade across polished wooden tables.

The centerpiece of the chamber was a grand oak table, its surface gleaming with a meticulous polish. A large map, illustrating the territories under the baronesses' jurisdiction, lay spread across the table.

Everyone assumed their places around the grand oak table. Sera, accompanied by her children Vina and Tia, took seats representing RavenCrest. Emma, Alaric, and Benedict positioned themselves strategically.

On the opposite side, Baron Rolland, alongside his wife and daughter, claimed their spots. Knight Everard, advisor Cedric, and the steward settled around him.

As the discussions were about to commence, Baron Rolland's advisor, Cedric, suggested, "Sir, madam, perhaps we should allow the children to tour around the castle. These discussions might be boring for them."

"No need," Sera and Eleanor, rejected at the same time.

Surprised by the simultaneous agreement, Sera and Eleanor exchanged amused glances and smiled.

"There's no need, Mr. Cedric. They are the children of the nobles and future heirs. It's essential for them to find opportunities to be involved in state matters; this will be a valuable experience," Sera asserted.

"I share the same opinion. The castle tour can be done later; we will have plenty of time for that," Eleanor concurred looking at Sera, her tone carrying a slight mischievous hint.

"Alright," Cedric conceded with a wry smile.

Looking at the two women everyone in the room is amused.

"Perhaps they share a similar character," Emma thought.

Sera initiated, "Let's begin. Our first agenda today concerns the security along the road. With the recent growth in trade between our territories, the number of travelers has increased. However, this may attract potential thieves causing trouble in the future. I suggest we establish regular patrol teams to monitor the path."

"I agree," Rolland promptly voiced his support.

"Our next topic concerns the taxes during trade. I propose we apply standard rates for everyone."

"I am okay with it too. However, we should revisit and revise these rates after a few years."

"Okay. Next is mutual defense and support. In case of monster attacks or bandits, we can agree to send a part of our forces as reinforcement."

"Agreed, but I'd like to add something. In the event of monster attacks, if possible, allow people closer to your borders to temporarily retreat to your lands. Once everything is settled, they can return. The same applies to us as well." Said Rolland.

“No problem.”

"Additionally, I suggest sending some of your guards to the countess. Request her to train them into proper soldiers, so they could return and train others. We are doing the same," Rolland proposed.

After some contemplation, Sera turned to Alaric and asked, "Is it okay with you?"

"Yes, Madam Sera. It will be very helpful." Alaric confirmed.

"Thank you for your suggestion, Sir Rolland. We will proceed as you mentioned," Sera acknowledged.

"Next, something I've been considering recently. I'm thinking of developing a sewage system in all the villages. I would like to ask if Sir Rolland wants to participate," Sera proposed.

Rolland looked confused. Cedric interjected, "Madam Sera, this is not a small task. It will require a lot of effort and money."

"That's true, but considering public health and future development, it is better to take this step," Sera argued. Turning to Rolland, she asked, "What do you say, Sir Rolland?"

Rolland began to feel shaky, his eyes darting around as he stammered, "Th-This is..."

He then turned to his wife. Eleanor smiled gently and placed her hand on his thigh below the table, offering reassurance. Rolland visibly calmed down, his eyes lighting up.

He turned to Sera and replied, "We will participate."

Observing this scene, the people on Rolland’s side closed their eyes or looked away, as they are already used to this.

Those in Sera's group looked baffled.

While Vina and Liora became confused by everyone's expressions, unable to understand the mood, Sera broke the awkward silence by saying, "Yes. Then the next topic is..." and they continued to discuss various matters.

Most of the time Rolland dealt with the issues as if he had practiced previously. Sometimes he seemed afraid as if he is a student who did mistakes and afraid of punishment in front of his teacher. Before taking any new decisions, he always looked for his wife for her approval.

‘It seems like the rumors about Rolland being a coward are true,’ Alaric thought.

‘The one who is truly in charge is his wife, it seems,’ Emma speculated.

‘She is controlling him quite well,’ Benedict pondered. ‘Maybe this is a good thing; at least she seems to be genuinely trying to benefit the territory considering the current flow. With his cowardice, he might ruin the land if manipulated by someone malicious.’

Tia, on the other hand, wondered, 'Wow! Is this what a henpecked husband is?'

The discussions continued until nightfall.

Copyright © [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

After concluding the official business, everyone relaxed. Subsequently, they gathered for a delightful dinner. Following the meal, Emma, Benedict, and Alaric, along with the other guards, servants, and maids, left the castle as per sera’s instructions.

Eleanor instructed the soldiers who had accompanied them, “Everyone, you may take rest in your rooms; you must be weary from the journey.”

“But madam, what about security?” asked Everard, appearing concerned.

“You don’t have to worry. I trust Baroness Sera’s arrangements. Take proper rest.”

“Okay, madam.” Everard took his leave along with his soldiers.

She also asked the staff who followed to retire. "You may also take your rest."

"But madam?”

“Don’t worry; I only want to have a friendly conversation.”

“Alright.” Everyone thus returned to their rooms to rest.

“Then, Sir Rolland, Madam Eleanor, let's go to our garden. I have arranged for refreshments. We can have a relaxing chat over there.” Sera suggested.

“Okay,” Eleanor nodded with a smile.

Sera, Vina, Tia, Rolland, Eleanor, and Liora strolled to the garden under the open sky, bathed in the enchanting full moonlight. A table with chairs and refreshments awaited them at the garden's center.

As they reached the table, Eleanor grabbed Sera's hand stopping her in her tracks. With a gentle squeeze, she approached Sera closer. In the soft glow of the moonlight, rustling leaves in the gentle night breeze, amid everyone’s confused gazes, Eleanor leaned in, held Sera by the waist, and gave a deep kiss.


Copyright © [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, contact the publisher at [[email protected]].
11