Ch 25 – Captive
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the taste that he noticed first.

David didn’t know what he’d been drinking last night, but the awful fermented taste stuck to his dry mouth. It was bad enough that he felt like he could still smell the stuff, even with his nose as clogged as it was. The beer must have been homemade or from some terrible microbrewery.

The floor dug into him as he shifted. Whatever cushion or mattress he’d found himself on after the party was not comfortable. As awful as the beer tasted now, he must have drunk a lot of it if he didn’t make it home.

A deep snarl made him ignore his headache and open his eyes. Dogs? Where the hell had he fallen asleep.

Two red orbs stared back at him from the darkness.

David groggily scrambled up and away. The cold and damp stone under his palms helped wake him up. He wasn’t crashing on someone’s spare mattress after a night out. Those red eyes weren’t a dog or pet’s. He wasn’t hungover.

Sleep Powder

How long had it been? David began to feel around him. Where were his things? Where was Pidgey?

He began to panic as his search turned up nothing but the mat. It was hard to make out much in the dark, but metal bars surrounded him. He was in a cell.

However the bars wouldn't protect him from the glaring red eyes. The Rattata would have no issue squeezing through gaps that he could never fit through. It crouched still in one corner of the room.

“Hel-” David coughed, his mouth dry as sandpaper. ”Hello?” He called out, coughing more as his throat caught.

There was no response.

“Hell-” David called again louder but he was interrupted by a snarl.

The red eyes scooted forward and David shut up. He wasn’t stupid enough to think he could win a fight against even a Pokemon this small. Not locked in a cell with no equipment. No weapons.

After a second of silence the Rattata backed away again.

David pulled the mat towards himself and put it between him and the Pokemon. They fell back into a cold, dark silence.

 

-.-

 

Footsteps broke the staring contest he had with the Rattata.

David didn’t know how long it had been since he had woken up. Long enough that he had grown very hungry. He hoped Pidgey was being fed.

He knew that whoever was coming wouldn’t be friendly, but the sight of the approaching light filled a part of him with hope anyway. The light prevented him from making out the figure until they dropped the chair they were carrying and sat down on it.

She had short dark, chin length hair with flecks of color in it. Her nondescript exercise clothing didn't draw his attention as the torchlight passed over it but the white armband with a red R did. David had seen her before but he couldn’t place where.

The Rattata turned its gaze away from him for once and scurried over to where she sat.

“Here’s how this is going to happen.” She began. “You’re going to tell me every training method and bit of family knowledge you know. You’re going to point out where your settlement is on a map. You do this and I’ll let you go. I’ll give you your backpack and your Pidgey and it will be like this never happened.”

David didn’t recognise her voice.

“You didn’t take the easy option but you’ll help us anyway. Tell me everything and you’ll be done. Out of the cell in an hour.”

David let the mat he’d kept between him and the Rattata fall. Strangely enough he believed the woman. Something told him that if he gave her what she wanted, he would be free to go. The only issue was that he couldn’t.

David didn’t know any training methods. His 'family' knowledge was incomplete and from another world. He still didn’t know what a settlement was, let alone where to find one.

“And if I don’t?” David asked, his voice still hoarse.

The woman clicked her tongue before standing. “I will ask you again tomorrow.”

She left the chair behind her and started down the tunnels. The light receded until he was left staring at the Rattata’s red eyes again.

The Rattata’s ears perked up. A second or two later David was able to hear it too. Muffled arguing followed by a crash. More muffled arguing.

There was a pause before footsteps sounded again.

David pushed himself up, ignoring the snarl from the Rattata. Had someone found him? Was it the police? Was the dojo taking action against Team Rocket?

Once again he was blinded by a flashlight, but it hadn’t been long since the Rocket grunt left and he recovered faster this time.

But the figure didn’t make sense. They shouldn’t be here. They weren’t part of the police or the dojo.

“Hi David,” Beth said nervously as she sat on the chair.

David didn’t speak. He just stared at her.

She didn’t wear an armband. Her outfit wouldn’t have been out of place in her office. Had she been wearing it when he saw her earlier? Or was it yesterday?

Beth's face was flustered, enough that it was clear in the bad light. But was that an act? Was she another victim or an accomplice?

“You need to tell them David.” Beth pleaded and confirmed the worst to David. “Tell them what they want and they’ll let you go.”

David sat back down. He couldn’t tell them. He didn’t know what they wanted to know.

“Is Pidgey okay?”

Beth’s face crumpled.

“They haven’t touched her pokeball. But David they might. You need to tell them.”

David buried his head in his hands. He knew that. Pidgey had already suffered from Team Rocket.

“Were you involved in that too? Did you send them after me in that alleyway?”

Footsteps echoed out down the passageway.

“What alley? David! I don’t have long. Tell me if you want.” Beth pleaded.

David lifted his head and stared at her. The three Team Rocket members that ambushed him had known he was in the league recovery program. He thought that they’d recognised his bag and decided he was an easy target. But Beth worked for the league. She entered everyone in Saffron into the program.

And that was their scheme. It was a perfect recruitment tactic. Beth had access to anyone who was down on their luck and vulnerable. She passed the names and addresses on. Add a visit from Team Rocket to knock them down. Followed by their final sale pitch where they showed just how little the league cared with a visit from the league official who started it all off.

It sickened him and from Beth’s face she saw that.

“Beth!” Someone yelled as another light appeared in the tunnel.

A third Rocket member made their presence known. At first David was confused by the strange silhouette. Only when the man stepped closer, was he able to distinguish the pale wings poking out from behind his back. David recognised the man instantly.

It was the Rocket grunt who blocked the alley. The one who kicked dirt and broken feathers in David’s face as he left.

“Beth. Out. Now.” The man hissed. Antenna fluttered behind his head as a purple blob poked up between his neck and shoulder.

Beth shot out of the chair and to attention. She gave David one last glance before fleeing down the tunnel.

The Team Rocket grunt sneered at David then turned to follow her.

David was left alone with the red eyes again.

 

-.-

 

“David!”

Someone shook his leg.

“David.” They hissed again.

He flew upright, nearly sending them both flying as he scrambled to wake up.

“Ssshsh!” Beth moved out of the cell and looked down the tunnel.

“Beth?” He whispered back.

She watched the tunnel for another second before turning back to him. She pointed to his backpack and shoes that now leaned against the outside of the cell. “Grab that and follow me.”

David pushed himself up warily but made no move. Was this a trap? Some kind of sick game?

“Pidgey?” He whispered at her.

“In the backpack.” She whispered back. She started walking down the tunnel, slowly as she carried no torch.

David hesitated only for a second before grabbing his backpack and following.

 

The tunnels weaved back and forth a few times but Beth led the way without issue.

Her steps had grown more confident when they reached a lit area of the tunnels. Old bulbs strung overhead provided their only light source. Many were broken but the few that remained gave enough light to walk quickly without risk of falling.

David attempted to ask Beth a question as they walked but she shushed him quiet again.

After a minute or so David could feel a light breeze. His steps quickened as his hope rose.

“I didn’t think you’d be so stupid.” It was the Rattata’s trainer. Her voice echoed out as they reached an intersection.

David froze and stared at Beth’s back. It had been a trap after all. His hands reached for his straps. Could he get Pidgey’s ball out in time?

Should he? Pidgey was still injured. Was that the point of this whole thing? To get him to fight and lose with Pidgey once again.

“I think I’ve been so stupid for a long time,” Beth replied, pulling two pokeballs out. She advanced into the intersection.

“What are you going to do with those Beth? You can’t beat me in a battle.” The Rocket grunt walked out of another passageway. She had a pokeball in hand and her Rattata followed at her heels.

“I don’t need to, Daria,” Beth answered. She turned to David and flicked her head towards a passageway. “Run.”

David hesitated.

“Rattata, cover.” Daria ordered and the Pokemon moved to the entrance.

Beth pressed the buttons on her pokeballs and Fuzzy and Geodude appeared in twin flashes, one weak one strong.

“Rollout!” Beth ordered.

Geodude lifted itself up and tucked one arm around its face. It launched itself up and forward with the other arm, starting to spin as it left the ground. When it landed again, both arms were folded around its body. It spun over and over as it rocketed towards the Rattata, thumps sounding out as it pushed off the ground with light brown shimmers.

“Quick evade!” Daria yelled out.

Daria pressed the button on her pokeball as the Rattata darted back towards her in a shimmer of beige.

An Ekans appeared in a bright flash of light.

“Change stack.” Beth called in response.

With a burst of light brown, Geodude turned towards Daria. It was starting to pick up speed.

Daria just growled as the living rock hurtled towards her.

“Eat the worm Ekans. Assurance Rattata.”

David watched, still frozen with his hands on the straps, as Beth seemed to deflate. She stared down at Fuzzy before her.

“Cater-Piiiiiie!” Fuzzy warbled and began to crawl forward.

“Fuzzy, seal up. Nibble when you close.” Beth cried out between sniffs.

Fuzzy began firing thick strands of white cord at the Ekans which was twisting across the ground towards it. Most of the thick strands hit, but the Ekans wasn’t noticeably slowed.

On the other side of the intersection, Geodude crashed into the Rattata. At the last moment the Rattata flinched and shied back, but too late to soften the blow. The two Pokemon met in a blur of light brown streaks and a deep cracking noise. The Rattata was thrown back, narrowly missing Daria, and against the tunnel wall.

The Rattata let out a pained squeak as dust fell from the ceiling and several cracks echoed. As the pained squeak tapered off, the Rattata glowed a murky festering brown. The murky brown glow flowed towards the Rattata’s head before shooting out at Geodude.

Geodude, which was unwrapping its arms and trying to regain its balance, was a sitting duck. The murky glow wrapped around the swaying Geodude and seemed to sink into the Pokemon.

Geodude began to scream. It was a horrific sound. A jarring, dry, scrape that carried the living rocks agony.

The noise, amplified by the tight quarters, forced Beth, David and Daria to duck and cover their ears. The Rattata began to paw at its ears and squeak.

When the scream ended, Geodude was still moving but much slower than before.

“David!” Beth’s voice cut through the dull ringing in his ears. She pointed down the passageway again. “Run!”

Her hand dropped to her belt as she turned back to the battle. She drew both of her pokeballs and gripped them tightly.

David started to move. He stumbled past Beth, grabbing onto the wall to support himself as he went.

Fuzzy and Ekans reached each other. The Ekans' scales were no longer shining purple. Fuzzy had been hard at work. Thick white fibers wound their way around the snake Pokemon, clogging up its movement and reducing its slither to a crawl as slow as Fuzzy’s.

At such slow speeds, both Pokemon had ample time to prepare their moves. A murky, festering brown glow dripped out of the Ekans' mouth as it reared back. Quivering sparks of lime danced around Fuzzy’s mandibles.

The Ekans struck first, its mouth closing around Fuzzy’s carapace. The murky brown glow flowed down into Fuzzy’s body as the Ekans wrenched its head to the side with a crunch and tore Fuzzy’s carapace open.

“Ge-Geodude, close the books.” Beth cried out, her voice unsteady.

As the Ekans swallowed parts of Fuzzy’s carapace, Fuzzy struck. It flicked its tail down and as its front rose, Fuzzy’s mouth caught onto the larger snake’s neck. A hum filled the air as the sparks of lime began to vibrate faster. The Ekans convulsed as it was attacked mid swallow.

Geodude began to hunker down. A beige haze began to circle around it, rotating faster and faster.

“Take Down Rattata. Bite through the worm Ekans.” Daria shouted.

David made it into the passageway but he stopped. How could he leave? Beth’s Geodude was badly hurt. Daria’s Rattata was too but it was still in better shape. Fuzzy’s attack had hurt the Ekans but its back was torn to shreds-

The Ekans shook and rolled to the side. Fuzzy lost its grip and was knocked to the ground. Fuzzy let out a pained warble as its exposed back struck the rock. The Ekans reared up and a murky brown glow started to appear around its jaws.

“Fuzzy!” Beth screamed as the Ekans struck. She held a pokeball out with a trembling hand but didn’t recall Fuzzy.

Fuzzy was on its side as the Ekans' jaws closed around it. Fuzzy’s warble increased in pitch until it became a screech as more and more murky brown flowed into it. The Ekans bit through Fuzzy’s carapace again with a crunch and Fuzzy dropped to the ground.

Beth sobbed and let out a wail.

Fuzzy shook a few times before going still.

White light speckled around the Pokemon as Beth tried to recall it. But even to David’s eye it looked wrong. The white was faltering and so slow, too slow as it crept up around Fuzzy’s body.

“Fuzzy?” Beth asked in a pleading and confused voice.

The white grew and grew until it became blinding. David held up a hand to shield his eyes as the flakes of color overtook Fuzzy’s body and continued to grow. A light wind pushed at his back as the flakes of white became a sphere and began to pulse.

Sparks began to fly away from the sphere as a dark shape twisted and flexed inside the circle. David couldn’t draw his eyes away. Something deep and primal rooted his attention in place. No one in the cave moved.

“Fuzzy!” Beth’s shout was now joyful.

The sphere contracted one last time before bursting out in a blinding wave.

“ME-TA-POD.”

David, Daria and Beth stared at the newly evolved Pokemon with shock. David couldn’t understand what had happened. Fuzzy was now twice as large. Its carapace was darker with sharp edges. Fuzzy had evolved but how?

“How was that possible?” David murmured. Nothing he had seen in this world compared. Fuzzy’s evolution was over but that deep sense of reverence and dread remained.

But while the humans were stunned, the Pokemon were not.

Rattata crashed into the sedentary Geodude in a bang of beige as both Pokemon were sent flying back. Another squeal and low grating cry rang out.

This broke the spell and Beth turned to David with fear in her eyes.

“DAVID. GO!”

Beth began to inch towards him, keeping her eyes on the battle and hands ready with her pokeballs.

David turned and ran. Fuzzy’s evolution had shaken him on a level that he couldn't comprehend. He ran down through the passageway, leaving the well lit tunnels behind until he was jogging forward with one hand on the wall.

Behind him he heard one last faint order from Beth.

“Geodude, Bring it all down. Fuzzy, seal everything.”

The wall turned from stone to dirt under his fingers and then under his feet. David burst from the mouth of the cave and into the light of a pale moon. He recognised nothing but some primal sense spurred him to pick a direction and continue running.

David ran out, into the wild.

3