Ch 35 – Starting off
59 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bulbasaur blinked, its triangular, petal-red eyes taking in the pitch before focusing on the Sandshrew charging at it.

Terry's Sandshrew had begun running immediately when it was released. It followed the same routine or orders as it had in the previous match, but he felt it was a little slower now. Whether that was tiredness or caused by wariness towards the rare Pokemon, he didn’t know. Did Pokemon consider the Kanto starters as something special?

The humans around the pitch most certainly did.

Everyone was silent as they inspected the new Pokemon on the pitch. There was none of the laughter, cheering, jeering or commentary on the fight. People focused on Bulbasaur, the Grass type starter of Kanto. Then inevitably, and David was no different in this, their eyes turned to Danny. Fifty eyes fell on the woman, taking in her long brown hair mostly held back by a worn green hairband. They scanned her, noting the high quality clothes designed for the outdoors. She was thin, with willowy arms that belied her short height. Danny might have looked dainty if not for the corded muscle on her arms. Instead, she was athletic, and she stood with confidence until all those eyes scoured over her. Under all the stares she wilted, eyebrows falling as the small but endearing smile faded. Her expression had been soft when Martin introduced her to Sarah and him. Now it was glass, practiced lack of expression. The change was not swift enough to avoid distraction from the practice battle.

The only person on the field not caught in the surprise was enough funnily, Terry. She didn't have time to gawk.

Bulbasaur opened its mouth wide and revealed short stubby teeth. Danny might have been distracted by all the attention, but her Pokemon was not. A low rumble built as it drew in a large breath. The green patches on its teal skin shifted while its lungs filled and the Pokemon grew larger. It tilted back, the tall flower bud on its back wobbling. Short curly vines tightened their grips on Bulbasaur’s body to steady the movement.

With one large exhale, Bulbasaur Growled.

The air before it shimmered. A light wave of beige spread out before the Pokemon.

As the wave hit, Sandshrew staggered. One of its short limbs buckled, and it fell to the ground mid-run. Sandshrew’s soft belly scraped across the ground before the Pokemon adjusted.

The wave affected more than just the Pokemon.

Members of the crowd that had stepped onto the pitch to get a better view were affected first. They weren’t the target of the Move or in its direct path, but an outbreak of shivers and stiffening bodies followed the wave.

From his position on the sidelines at the middle of the pitch, David was part of the second group to be hit. The beige wave left a weight behind as it passed. His muscles felt slower. Stiffer. It brought his physical tiredness closer to his mental. He couldn’t help but shudder at the uncomfortable sensation.

These side effects grew weaker as the wave traveled until those further back or behind Bulbasaur gave no sign of being affected.

“Sand Attack!” Terry shouted, getting over her weakness fast.

“Reply with Tackle!” Danny ordered.

Sandshrew picked itself up and charged forward with more haste, more emotion.

Beside David, Sarah jabbed her fingers into Martin’s side. She pulled her hand back with a wince and gave him another punch instead. “What did you get Terry into?”

“Nothing,” replied Martin with a furrowed brow. He ignored Sarah’s blows to focus on the match. “She’s starting just like us. And she agreed to the same training format.”

“And the Bulbasaur?” Sarah hissed.

“Danny didn’t mention it,” Tulia said absently, pulling her long glossy hair back to tie it up. It was a good hand span longer than Danny's, but brighter, shinier even though it was black. Like Martin, Tulia didn’t take her eyes off the pitch but while Martin scanned the field, watching both the Pokemon and trainers, Tulia focused solely on Bulbasaur.

Bulbasaur dipped down as Sandshrew neared, bowing its head to brace for impact with its broad forehead.

Sandshrew skidded, claws digging into soft dirt trying to slow its sprint. David winced in sympathy as it failed to stop and began to spin with the momentum. It tried to stop the uncontrolled turn by digging its hind legs deeper into the ground. The wide furrows didn't help, and it slapped its tail down to scrap across the ground in a last ditch effort. Dirt was sent flying and...

The disturbed soil, dust and debris glistened light brown and shot towards Bulbasaur.

Bulbasaur flinched and crouched a little lower against the dirt splatters. The beige haze that had been building around it fizzled, disappearing in sections.

Sandshrew scrambled in the loose soil to turn back towards Bulbasaur.

“Scratch.” Terry shouted.

Bulbasaur blearily opened its eyes and moved. It sprung forward with both forelegs, digging into the ground when it landed before lifting off with its hind legs. The haze around its body strengthened as it ducked its head and slammed into Sandshrew.

Sandshrew let out a hiss as their heads collided with a pop.

Size wise the Pokemon were evenly matched. On all four legs Sandshrew was shorter than Bulbasaur, only reaching its eye level, but it made up for that with bulk and a longer body. The Ground type was knocked back by the Tackle but remained within touching distance. A fact it took advantage of as it swiped forward with one foreleg.

Bulbasaur leaned back, but the claws caught it on the chin, drawing lines down to its left shoulder. The Pokemon let out a pained yap and shrunk back.

“Martin,” Tulia murmured reluctantly.

“Too soon,” Martin muttered back.

“Get in close and Vine Whip!” Danny ordered. She stood at the edge of the trainer’s mark, leaning forward as if prepared to sprint at a signal. One fist was clenched and the other held Bulbasaur’s pokeball. Her body language screamed nervous, but her voice was steady and the glint in her eye told a different story.

Terry was the opposite. She near screamed her orders across the pitch yet stood still with her arms crossed. Her baggy hat hadn’t even slipped. Only the way she held her pokeball facing forward exposed her readiness.

“Poison Sting.”

Sarah groaned and even Martin and Tulia, focused though they were on the match, winced. The hubbub from the crowd grew.

David looked at the trainers.

Poison Sting was one of those awful Moves that wasn’t strong enough to do much - unless it Poisoned the opponent. It was the bane of any Pokemon game. The status ruined all plans, leaving you desperately trying to make for a Pokecenter while glitches shook the screen.

In the game you could use one of the many Antidotes you picked up off the ground or bought for cheap to cure the status, but in this world?

Medicine was expensive.

If the status worked like it did in the game, this could end the match and use up Danny’s free weekly healing. Without that healing, she would have to be very cautious for the first week of the season. It was a threat beyond the damage of the Move. Sarah, Martin and Tulia's reaction made sense.

Danny, however, grinned widely upon hearing the order.

Sandshrew reared back, standing on its two hind legs as Bulbasaur charged forward again. It tipped its head back before nodding forward and opening its mouth to spit. A purple blob streaked forward to splatter against the right side of Bulbasaur’s head.

Bulbasaur yelped as the purple seeped into its flesh but wasn't stopped. It moved to the left and presented its side and bud to Sandshrew. Short curly vines loosened their grip on its body and reached out. As they did, a longer vine unfurled at the base of the bud, gaining speed while it whipped around Bulbasaur’s back to lash at Sandshrew.

The vine slapped down and left a dark green line along Sandshrew's body.

Sandshrew shrank back with a loud squeal and raised a front limb.

“Match!” Martin roared over the noise. He stood up and stepped onto the pitch with a hand over a pokeball.

Tulia sprung up after him with David and Sarah a little behind.

Both Pokemon disappeared in bright flashes and their trainers stepped off the marks. David, Martin, Sarah and Tulia had to pick up the pace as the two trainers strode towards each other at the center of the field.

“Great battle,” Danny called out to Terry. She still sported the grin which had widened if anything.

Terry nodded with a slight smile. The wobble of her hat made the movement closer to a bow. "Your Bulbasaur trusts you deeply."

They met in the center and shared a look before turning to face the approaching four. Danny was cast in shadow by the much taller and buff Terry but here they stood equal.

“Match to Danny,” Martin announced, pointing at her. He tried to ignore the agreeing hum from Tulia when they drew closer.

Terry nodded with a sigh and turned to Danny. “I thought so. I’ll be prepared next time.”

“About that,” Sarah said with a huff. She indicated her head behind them. "Maybe we should call it a day."

They weren’t the only ones to have walked out onto the field. A small crowd surrounded their group of 6. These trainers stood far enough back to give them a bit of privacy but close enough to pounce as soon as they finished. The waiting challengers inched forward, eying each other shiftily. Behind them at the edges of the pitch the crowd had been steadily growing larger.

David pursed his lips. The battle had been great to watch, and he was feeling motivated again. Pidgey had been tired after the drawn out match against Rattata, but she hadn't wanted to stop at all. They could fight more.

“Sorry,” Danny said. Her smile fell when she took in their faces. David was not alone in his disappointment at the early finish. “I didn’t think we would get this kind of reaction.”

Sarah waved her off. “It’s not all you, it's the day. Things will calm down tomorrow. People are too excited today.”

“Probably best not to push it today anyway. We have a long season ahead of us.” Martin’s light frown fell away while he spoke. There was a pause as he shared a look with Sarah, Terry and Tulia. The four of them turned their attention to Danny and David.

“How about we meet tomorrow in the same park?”

“Park?” Danny asked in confusion, giving David time to think.

The five of them seemed nice. Their Pokemon seemed to be about the same age and capability as Pidgey. The same could be said about them and him. He had made mistakes but so had they. He was learning and so was Pidgey. Still, there were other things to consider. The large number of secrets he held, the need to stay hidden, how he had nowhere to stay, but in the end this was a continuation of the decision he had made in the park earlier.

Pidgey needed battles to grow. He was going to get nowhere if he didn't take some risks.

“Near the Pokecenter. I can show you,” Terry answered.

“Same time?” David asked.

“Maybe an hour later,” Tulia interjected before anyone could respond. “I have work in the mornings.”

Martin looked around, but there were no objections. “Great, I’ll see you all then.”

 

-.-

 

With a few waves goodbye the group broke apart and the waiting challengers descended. David grabbed his bag and waded through the crowd to try and get away. Thankfully the crowd and challengers were focused on Danny and her Bulbasaur and didn’t give him much trouble.

As David left, a figure on the edge of his vision caught his attention. When he tried to look closer they were gone. David paused his push through the crowd to try and spot them but had no luck. It wasn’t anyone he recognized, nor anything in particular that caught his eye. Just... something about their outfit had drawn his attention. Thankfully it wasn’t a white and red armband or any sign of Team Rocket. It had been more the figure's general demeanor and the way their wide brimmed cap and dodgy coat had stood out from their neat shirt and slacks.

David kept a careful watch behind him as he left the stands and looked for a park, but he wasn’t followed. In the end he chalked the sighting up to paranoia. He was still on edge from the morning, and a random face in the crowd had caught his eye. At the park he released Pidgey in a quiet corner.

As she made her tired displeasure about the lack of a battle known, he searched through his bag until he found a piece of paper.

Written on the paper in barely legible handwriting was Oliver Laurel, Nature’s Scent farm.

0