The Fascinating Stand-in
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Junda, 8th of Moon's Respite]

[8 AM, Measurement Room]

The Cartography Class. It is one of the classes that I am always so passionate about. I'm not sure people understand how important and crucial it is to be able to understand mapping. One's understanding of the lay of the land decides one's life, quite literally. Whether where death lurks or where the diamond rests, all of that is decided by the person's knowledge of what is around them.

For first-year students, we are obliged to learn how to read maps. If you are somehow bold enough to think that it's easy, then you should think again. There are various types of maps. cityscape maps, underground maps, mountainous area maps, civil-purpose maps, star-chart or celestial constellation maps, and so on. Each is unique to the others.

Now, we have just finished wrapping up the lesson about household plumbing mapping. It's amazing to see how the cityscape as a whole also affects the structure of the private household plumbings, as well as the fact that temperature and humidity also play a critical role in the whole system. It would be perfect if they also taught us how to fix plumbing problems properly, but I guess you shouldn't shun the bread on your table because of the cake in your figment, right?

"Good morning, Juniors."

A voice greets us. My class whispered to each other when we saw a young man - most likely someone that none of us had ever seen before, thanks to how big of a place the academy is. He is probably around our age, just slightly older. Now, the real question is, who is he? What is he doing here? Where's Master Sebastian?

 "Today, due to a sudden personal reason, Master Sebastian couldn't attend the class. Hence, he sent me to take his place instead. I believe this is the first time we have met each other . . . well, at least for most of you, right?"

The man waved to Wanda who was sitting right to my left. Wanda waved back, cheerfully smiling.

"What's the deal with you two? Who is he?"

"He is a regular at my place. He is an upperclassman of ours and a very skilled seaman."

Then the substitute lecturer claps his hands, asking for our attention. He pulls out a giant sheet of paper and asks for some students to help him put it up on the board. When the paper is completely unfolded, there lies a massive map with an extreme level of detail. It's the Vaseisa Island, a recently found island that houses the sixth Labyrinth of Gods. It broke the newspaper headlines for months and has been spoken about even until now.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Vasco Jean-Lisvon. You can call me for Vasco. Although you don't need to be so formal since I was just a substitute who was coincidentally your senior from fifth grade, I'm still going to give you a fair assessment, okay? So, nice to meet you, people!"

"Nice to meet you, Vasco!"

Considering how most seniors love to be treated highly rather than as equals, I'd say this Vasco guy looks chill.

"He seems to be a cool dude to me," I whispered to Wanda.

"Oh, you'll be surprised, Zam. He fits everywhere. Like, literally, everywhere," said Wanda giddily.

Before Vasco had the opportunity to continue his speech, a student already had his hand raised.

"Did you make the map, Vasco?"

"It was a long story, but all in all, it's a team effort."

"Damn you, always with the low profile! Just tell us already, Vasco The Navigator!" Wanda yelled.

Vasco laughs and then shares his story with the class for almost half an hour.

-----

It started when Vasco needed to make a project to advance to the fifth grade. He was born into a family of merchants. However, with a series of bad luck and economic tragedy, his family was brought down to become small-time peddlers living from bowl to bowl each day. With budget issues strangling his neck, Vasco took drastic measures.

He smuggled himself inside a barrel that was to be transported by Bluegold Company. One late night. when La Rana Roja (The Red Frog), the ship that Captain Eduardo led, was docking in Pelicantes, Vasco slipped himself in between the goods and joined their journey. That night, he carried with him nothing but only one empty book and his writing tools, nuts and berries enough for a meal, and three pieces of underwear.

He sneaks out at night to read the star in order to document his journey and also steals from the storage room or even the crew's deck sometimes. He lived like a rat for two weeks until he was found out on one stormy night, thanks to a big wave that shook the ship and toppled the barrel where he lived.

The crew almost made Vasco a fishbait, until Captain Eduardo saw his notes. The captain noticed that the boy's calculation was top tier. He even predicted the violent storm last night from days ago, as well as the fact that they deviated from the course for almost a day's worth. Seeing Vasco's vivid talent, he invited him for breakfast and allowed him to do his research while serving as a cleaner for the ship.

The journey of La Rana Roja to Bluegold Company's main center in Helden was halfway done. However, on one misty evening, tragedy befell them as they were raided by pirates on the Gulf of Waning Dew. During that bloody encounter, Vasco almost died if Vice-Captain Harlen hadn't taken the blow for him. In the end, they were able to escape, albeit at a high cost.

The aftermath after the raid attempt was heavy. Captain Eduardo died in duty just like many of his officers. Meanwhile, the vice-captain is clearly unfit to lead after losing a hand and a lot of blood. Supplies were dwindling, and none of the crews had any idea about their whereabouts, or whether the pirates were still on their tail.

In this depressing time, Vasco stepped up to take the helm with the approval of the vice-captain. As the only man who knows how to read the stars and figure out their place on the map, he swerved the steer to take a detour to Yeon territory. His sole objective is to make sure that the remaining people survive.

After jumping from one island to another for supplies and fresh water, they arrived on one particular island where weird symmetrical giant boulders were scattered all over the place.

-----

Vasco put out a drawing of the stones that was drawn by one of his crewmates and put it on the board next to the giant map.

"Boulders cut with precisions containing natural mechanisms that sometimes act as a trap. One of them did a number on our main mast that we need no less than a week to repair it. So while we wait for the armorers and carpenters to do their job, I take the luxury to roam the island with some of the men."

"During our journey, we found various marvelous clues that ended up showing us the direction to a certain island that is just like that one. An island that isn't recorded on any map. Thanks to luck and serious sleepless nights of figuring out the equation and keeping the direction of the vessel in the right way, we finally found it. We become the first ones to step and discover the Sixth Labyrinth. Mausoleum of Princess Gyeong."

Wanda claps her hands, and everyone follows. No wonder, given how superb Vasco is at storytelling. Then again, I don't think I have ever read a detailed narration of the island's discovery. Did some political stuff happen? That's a possibility considering the discovery was made on a neighboring country territory by a bunch of foreigners.

"Thank you everyone! And, oh yes! You can find the details of my adventure inside this book! I've brought some with me in case you are interested in a discounted price plus my very own autograph! Please line up after class and help me fill up my pocket since a real expedition costs a mountain of fortune . . . Oh! Dios mio! I wished I breathed gold!" Vasco speaks with a mixed tone and feelings of joy and stress.

Oh . . . .

So that's what happened.

1