Entertaining Commotion
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[East Market, 02.55 PM]

East Market, huh? That is certainly an unusual place to meet. Only the most expert of merchants and buyers dare to thread this part of the city. Deception and dirty plays are daily common. After all, it's mostly run by immigrants and resident foreigners who come from distant countries. They are fierce and competitive. So competitive that the market basically closes at 1 AM in the morning every single day.

There are many merchandise that I have only seen in books before. Beautiful porcelains, mosaic lamps, cotton turbans, and many more. Street performers are also bustling the place as much as peddlers. The self-made actors play theatrics, the bards sing songs, and the magician pulls up their tricks.

Not far from where I stand, a woman dressed in black draws her sword. Like a damsel in rage, she points her glistening sword towards a man.

"Ah, not her again," a vegetable vendor beside me facepalmed.

"Who is she? What's happening?" I asked.

"Bloody Nora."

"Bloody Nora?"

"Sheesh. Just keep your mouth shut and look at what's about to happen, kid. You will know why she got the nickname."

The crowd runs wild, some looking for the city guards, and some others cheer at the not-your-everyday show. Now, they are dying to see some blood to be spilt on the ground. The street bards played their drums and flutes to set the mood, while the pyro dancers lit up their flames. Things like this one have always been a spice to fill up their ragged coin bag, hence an impromptu betting taking place.

So do I, as I move closer to observe the duel that is about to commence. Now that I have a clear look at them, the sword that Nora is holding is clearly an Eastern-styled blade.

"After all the things you've said! How could you! YOU CHEATING BASTARD!"

The woman called Bloody Nora roared with a battle cry, as she swung her sword against her opponent. Her words riled up the surrounding crowd even more. The man dodged to the far left, before taking out his sword also. Somehow, I can see that he is slightly being hesitant. Was it fear? I couldn't tell that much.

"Tsk. If you don't wanna listen, then there's no point talking any further."

The man sends out swift blows of sword dance, only to be dodged easily by the woman.

"I gave you everything! But in the end, you are just like the others. YOU BETRAY ME!"

"Heh. Hahahah! You just realized that?! You fucking easy of a woman, the only good about you is your body! Try to use this for once, will you?" the man pointed at his own head.

The man leaps, towing his steel sword in the air, rushing to slice Nora's head off of its place. He runs straight without any tricks or cards on his hands, confident in the natural difference of power between a male and a female. Being considerably bigger than Nora, that man undoubtedly has a reach advantage with his limbs being longer. This is looking bad for Bloody Nora.

As soon as I put that thought in my head, Nora kicks a small crate near her feet forward at the most precise time.

*Dhug* the man fell forward on his two knees, stumbling over the small crate that bashed the frontside of her ankle.

"DIE!"

Nora screamed and went in for the kill by sending a downright slash on its way to sever her opponent's head through the nape. Yet, the man won't let her have her way. He swings his sword horizontally, swiping the feet of his opponent. Nora has no other choice but to jump and evade what could have been a devastating blow.

After jumping, Nora continues to land her slash, but the man is already prepared. The clash of their weapons sends a vibration in the air. The trade of blows continues for almost a minute until the man is starting to lose his ground. I bet he never expects himself to be pushed back by a woman, it all shows in his face.

A few grazes later, an opportunity presented itself after the man made a careless wide swing. Nora saw it and took the chance to bury her steel deep in his flesh. However, the man immediately grabs an old woman bystander and pulls her towards him, using her as his meat shield.

Then something that I didn't expect happened. Instead of backing off, Nora sends her edge forward and plung it into the heart of the bystander. Both the old woman and the man are screaming, but only one is bleeding their heart out.

I couldn't comprehend what happened.

"ROT IN HELL!"

"N-No! Please! Nora! It was just a misunders-"

*Slash*

All that is left is a rolling head on the ground.

After she unsheathed her sword, Nora put her hand on the chest of the old woman where she previously pierced. Then, her hand glowed, and suddenly a big wound appeared on her out of nowhere, stretching from her palm all the way to her shoulder. I can't believe my eyes, I swear she was fine and not hurt at all just now. What just happened?

Oh . . . Now I understand.

It's Velda. She's taking the damage from the old woman to herself. But instead of having a hole in her heart, she is skilful enough to redirect the damage to another part of her body. Fucking crazy. This woman is so scary, I should stay away from her.

"Enjoying the beauty of violence, young man?"

Suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder. I jumped away to create a distance in reflex.

"Sneaking up someone's back . . . That's not a proper way of greeting, don't you think?"

It's an adult, probably in his thirties. He has a weird accent and . . . that's some thick glasses roosting on his nose. An eastern fellow? Nah, he looks more like Westerners, probably a mixed blood. Is he related to Master Hou Chen? 

"Yes, I'm biracial. And I'm related to Master Hou Chen as well."

Damn, I got read again.

". . . Who are you, Mister?"

Before he was able to answer my question. Several guards are running our way. We had no choice but to step aside and watch Bloody Nora get taken into custody. Well, I mean, I don't know how heartbreak feels, but taking someone's life over a romantic dispute surely doesn't go unattended by the authorities, no matter the reason.

"She cries pretty hard for someone who lopped off her lover's head."

"Ahahah. You got quite a sense of humour. Though, I must say that you are wasting your time worrying about her."

"Why is that?"

"That's her third dead-lovers this month."

WHAT?! THAT WAS THE THIRD TIME A HEAD ROLLING DOWN THE STREET?

"Y-You must be joking! Then, why isn't she for the gallows already?"

"Well, she's the adventurers guild precious personnel. So, they always vouch for her. Besides, the investigation will prove her action justified anyway."

Justified killing? What is he talking about? Is there really such a thing as a license to kill? I guess even when the times for war are long gone, life is still a cheap commodity nowadays.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Hm . . . How to say . . . I'd say she's a good girl in nature. However, she's a terrible drunk. She would often get talked to bed and get her stuff stolen by men easily. People in taverns even turned it into a bet."

"A bet? You don't mean . . ."

"Yeah, you probably had guessed it. Anyone who can get the most out of her and get away with it will be crowned as the Absolute Steel-Balled Douchebag."

As I thought. Just what the hell are people doing out here? Sigh. What an absurd world to live in.

"By the way, Zama, do you mind if we take this somewhere? Things seem like getting rowdier by the minute, I'm afraid."

Oh, right. I almost forgot that I was here for something. The way this man talked as if we were already friends is quite terrifying. For now, let's just wait and see what he is on about. Let's just make sure that he is not walking me into a suspicious place.

"Alright, then. After you."

2