Bordered
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's a tired-looking lady with eyebags as thick as Frank's. I can see her effort to cover her languid appearance with a great deal of cosmetics. However, I think only a full day of rest can fix that fatigue. I've had such days every now and then, so I understand the struggle. I pray for the betterment of your health, O lady whose name I am yet to know.

Her body looks pretty frail, but I like how she pretends with her posture. She knows how to maintain her dignity, and her choice of attire shows it. The greenish coat makes her figure more solid, the boldness to put such an expensive-looking ruby pendant crown on top of her . . . slightly unfeatured chest, and the way she looks at people right in the eye unfazed, they are all features of a confident person.

Her hair looked like honey and her skin was almost corpse-like pale. On her hip hung a red book and a wand sculpted in a vine-like shape. A little bit coarse of a woman for my taste, but charming in its own way.

"Tsk. What business do you have with us? No - more importantly - can you leave us alone by ourselves? Can't you see that we don't want to be bothered, Laura?"

"I am under no obligation to comply with your self-interest, Wei."

So, they know each other. Judging by the intense tension in the air that I feel, I don't think they are on too friendly terms with each other.

"Greetings, Zama. I believe this is the first time we have met each other," Laura looked at me and slightly bowed.

Then, she slightly rubbed the hilt of her wand, and a chair behind her floated in the air. She had her coat removed the same way as well and rested it on the chair, as she helped herself seated. Now, the table has turned into a three-sided festive.

"My name is Laura Masonberch."

"Greetings, and nice to meet you, Lady Laura. My name is Adrian Zama. To what pleasure do we owe your company?"

Laura closes her eyes and chuckles.

"It seems that you are the only one with pleasure. But it matters not. I'm here to reaffirm something."

"Hmph, what a party pooper. This talk no longer interests me. I will be on my way."

Frank squinched his eyeglasses and then stood up to tidy his clothes. He looks hurried for some reason, tucking away the supposed-to-be precious enchanted scroll back into his bag. His movements and breathing speak of great frustration, and I'm feeling rather awkward now to face him.

"Alright then, see you around, Zama. And care not to get fooled by this STUPID B/WITCH!"

"Go screw yourself, Monkey."

A few steps after Frank left the table, the content of his glass burst. However, strangely, the mead inside spares me and only splashes towards Laura, drenching her in the honey-derived drink.

"HAHAHAHA! GOT YOUR ASS!"

Laura did nothing but rub her wand once more. When I turn my eye back to Frank, I see him turning to walk away again after being satisfied laughing at Laura. Then, suddenly he tripped over himself, and knocked over a table beside him, spilling all the boiling food on himself. He is shouting and rolling in agony, but I only see Laura softly smiling while using her magic to dry herself of the mead before it gets sticky.

"What a troublesome fool."

I gulped. This lady is scary. She is so efficient and calm, and both are a trait commonly owned by top-tier serial killers.

"I'm sorry for the pathetic display. I myself find it hard to believe that such a childish vermin is a Prominence Scholar."

"N-No, don't mind me. You both look great with each other."

"Huh?" Laura glared at me, curving her eyebrows.

Stupid bastard! Why are you saying such a thing, Zama?! Are you trying to get yourself killed?

"I-I-I mean, you both looked like you were greeting each other in your own way! H-Hahah! Hahaha!"

Laura rolled her eyes and sighed. Then she clears her throat, trying to regain her composure.

"Back to the topic at hand . . . I just want you to be mindful of your contract with the academy, in exchange for your fully-funded scholarship."

Right, the contract that I signed when I re-registered after the entrance exam put certain restrictions on me. One of them is that I must comply with the academy rules and finish my education in a timely manner on top of excelling in my studies. I think that also means that to accept Master Hou Chen's offer is to violate that contract.

"The consequences are severe, I assure you that. More than all of those things they promise you with. For example, the charge of treason is not out of the table."

She was sent to check on me and keep me in line, that much is as clear as a day.

"Was it Lord Isaac?" I asked Laura.

". . . No. It's the president. He sent me."

The president? The student council president? Ugh, this is getting out of control alright. What is wrong with everyone?

"You shouldn't easily trust what Wei told you."

"You mean he's lying?"

"No, he did worse. He told you the truth, but only half of it."

Half-truth is a whole lie. Classic. Yet, to give me a cue on it, can only mean one thing.

"Then you are aware of the whole truth. Care to share?"

A waiter came our way. She tidied up the table and then put a teapot and a pair of cups on the table. Laura flings a coin from her hand and the waiter accepts it with open hands. Hm. That's a good pause for my answer, pretty cool sight to see.

Then, again, Laura rubs the hilt of her wand, and the teapot moves itself. It floats and fills the cups the waiter brought just in the right amount. This time, she personally offered me the tea with her hands, without any magic whatsoever. I accepted the offer just as I accepted Frank's and slowly sipped it, so it didn't burn my tongue.

"It's because of your affinity to Yarna."

"What do you mean? It's clear that mine was Alana, that's why I am assigned to Master Hou Chen's class."

"I was there in the Great Hall, and I saw it for myself. Although I admit that you have some sensitivity to Alana, but that certainly was not how Alana looks."

I had my doubts when they assigned me to Master Hou Chen's class. Those black threads that I saw during the aptitude test, so they are truly Yarna. I thought they were just an indicator to show the light of Alana since there were some glitters on the edge of the black threads back then.

"Then why am I asked to learn Alana?"

"Because the academy doesn't have anyone to teach Yarna. Well, at least until yesterday. She is scheduled to arrive next week if everything is according to plan."

A new teacher?

"Anyway, that's how rare is Yarna wielder. So, needless to say, you have some spotlights on your back," Laura put down her cup.

"But, Lady Laura-"

"Just call me Laura."

"Uh, okay. But Laura, isn't that a little bit too stretched of an effort for the academy to get me a personal tutor?"

Laura chuckles as she wipes her lips with her handkerchief. Then, she stood up, so out of respect for her, I did the same as well.

"Don't worry. Although you might think that the academy is holding you back after hearing such a tantalizing offer from Master Hou Chen and his dimwitted lackey, I assure you that we will spare no effort to give each what they are due. We hold every student important, and you are no exception, Zama. It just happens that your needs are a little bit more specific than the others."

"I understand. Sorry for troubling you."

"Not at all. It's just my job to make sure everything falls in its place."

After that, she bid me farewell.

Now, I'm alone with no one but my own thoughts. I need to think about everything all over again. What is Yarna? Why do I have the capability to harness it? Why is it considered rare? What kind of magic can it bring? I know that knowledge regarding Yarna is hard to come by, but I need information no matter how insignificant. I don't need sleep. I need answers.

 

1