Party of Interest
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Monda, 8 AM, First Year Class B, The Royal Academy of Helen Winterford]

In the end, I couldn't look up to what I was supposed to look up to. There are simply too many things to be done, and the days have not been kind to me somehow. It's as if 24 hours a day is not enough, 45 hours would be ideal. This thought left me wondering what humanity could achieve had they have no need for sleep and rest.

Now, here I am again, sitting in the battleground for youths, ready to welcome the challenge of the savants. Ugh, although I know that this is going to happen, especially after such a big party like last night, it's still a real pain in the ass.

"You are looking uglier than ever. If you are looking to make a stain on my fine morning, congratulations, you succeeded in doing so."

Her insults have been getting sharper in these past few days. I wonder what's wrong with Zevia.

"What's with the mood, my fair lady? I thought The Ascheri landed it big in Rosmayne?"

Zevia glanced sharply at me, seemingly slightly caught off guard by my words. Was it supposed to be a secret? Nah, no way. A party that big is hardly going to be a secret in this realm. Maybe what surprised her was how the news could reach me so quickly. After all, it takes time for even the smallest spiel to take off.

"How do you know?" Zevia narrows her eyes even more.

"Go on, make a guess!" I grinned.

"Hmph. I'm sure it's just that doll-faced girl spouting things to you."

"You mean Yusia?"

Hm? Why is Zevia making such a face? Oh, wait. Maybe she was jealous? The way she saw me as her punch bag and emotional relief object must have incited the feeling of uneasiness, thinking that her toy might be taken away by someone else. Sigh, what a bothersome violent lady.

"That girl isn't like what you think. She's the type of girl who's dancing in her own world. Politics and plots don't stir her off. I can say with the utmost certainty that she isn't someone who would spy, backstab, and go around making offers that people couldn't refuse. She's pure, unlike you."

"Whatever do you mean by that, you vermin?!"

Ah, here goes another big, magically-infused, and merciless blow. Sigh, me and my big mouth.

"U-Ugh. Zevia . . . I think you should tone down a little these days. Last time you punched me this hard . . . It hurts so much I couldn't sleep on my right."

"Why would I? It feels so good to me, and it helps you develop your Velda," said Zevia after she took deep breaths and wiped her hand with her handkerchief as if I was something filthy.

Sigh. I have run out of ideas to tell her that the only thing that is developing is my pain tolerance, though it doesn't help at all. Fucking nobles. Being able to do all they want without a single care in the world doesn't mean they really have to, you know?!

"I told you I don't even understand how Velda feels."

"Everyone bearing arcane gifts can use all colours of magic, despite the proficiency that might slightly differ between one type and another."

"Substratum Theorema, I know. But what if there are some exceptions? What if the theorem couldn't completely explain the entirety of this principle phenomenon?"

"Are you questioning Ruidan The Supreme?"

"Yes."

"You? A nobody?"

Zevia scoffed at me, and I completely understand. It's natural for her to behave that way, anyone would do the same. Only extensive research can challenge a theorem. Even if I was right, I am not right until I prove myself to be right. That's how it rolls in the world of academics. Since research costs a lot of money, automatically, my opinion is only worth a dirt right now.

"Sigh. You're right. I'm just desperate for an answer. I mean, I seriously can't feel anything. Every sensation that you described back then, the enveloping feeling, the tingling, the stiffness - I don't feel any of it. Even this Yarna thing that I'm supposed to be good at."

"What?"

"Huh?"

"What did you say?"

Eh? Why is she glaring at me like that? Why is she turning her whole body facing me? 

"Yarna, you say?"

"Yes . . . ."

"Are you sure? Know that I'm going to be very very angry if you lie."

I gulped and unconsciously nodded repeatedly. She looks more serious than ever. I can't even imagine how bad things will be if I mess around with her.

However, suddenly, her face brights up. She smiles at me, although it looks more like cunning rather than charming. I don't know what is cooking on that head of hers. I hope it won't be something weird.

"I heard of the news that a new lecturer is coming, and she specialized in Yarna. I never thought that it would be you since you attended Master Hou Chen's class. Well, lucky me, I guess. This is going to be easier than I expected."

"What do you mean? What about the new lecturer?"

"She came from a very far place. Oh, and I believe you don't want to anger her. After all, Yarna magic is always . . . uhm, a little dangerous."

Oh no. For such a brute like Zevia to say that it's dangerous, I think I should really take it to heart as a big red sign of warning.

"Anyway, Zam. Empty your schedule after the midterm exam. There is a place that you and I must go to."

"What's this all of a sudden? And no, I don't have time to mess around with you. Nobles like you may find it hard to understand how difficult it is for a commoner to make ends meet."

Zevia kicks my chair, just right below my groin. I reflexively covered my private part, trembling in anticipation of what would happen if she put her foot five centimetres higher.

"You know I don't take no for answers. By the Ascheri name, you will be paid handsomely, and you will be excused by that ruffian."

That ruffian? D-Don't tell me?!

"You know where I work?!"

"Why wouldn't I? Don't underestimate a noble's connection, you low-born flea, I know everything."

Huft. What is this? Why is suddenly my life so full of weird things and events popping out of nowhere? Ugh, what is going to happen to me? Working with nobles is within my expectation if I wanted to improve my living conditions, but working with The Ascheri? That's way too big of a leap. Such a first-class noble house is bound to have a lot of intricate problems.

"Please be kind to me, Zevia."

"Hmph. Stop mocking me, fool. I always treat my useful dogs royally. So, make sure you earn your share. Do I make myself clear?"

Zevia looked down at me as she folded her legs and crossed her arms. The way she acts as if she is sitting on a throne is terribly irritating. Yet, however, I nodded in submission.

1