True Essence
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the box of cookies and candies which Zevia had prepared for Master Kinan was completely chomped down to the last crumbs, Zevia took Master out of the room. I think I know what she's going to do; She is putting her to sleep.

"What a twist," I sighed to myself.

Now that I'm left alone again, I can't stop thinking about what happened in the auditorium. Was that really her doing? That monster . . . did she call it Ruwa? Is that what Yarna is capable of? A conjuration of otherworldly creatures which will be completely subservient to the caster? That's scary. That certainly doesn't look as pleasing as any other form of magic.


 

Several minutes later, Zevia returned. Her face is bright, like someone who was having a great day.

"Sorry it took quite a while, I had to brush her teeth before putting her to nap."

"You seemed to be so fond of her. What's the story of you two?"

Zevia sat down right beside me and crossed her legs as she rested her head on top of the drawer next to my bed. The content look on her face didn't last long as her usual sharp and judging gaze resurfaced. What do people call this? Back to nature, I guess?

"I like kids, they are easy to manipulate and I can shape them however I want. Especially the smart ones like Kinan, they will prove to be useful in no time," Zevia smirks.

Yeah, I was too naive. This lady is a demon.

"That's so heartless even for you."

"Heartless? You know nothing, don't you? The Ascheri Foundation kept her safe from her war-torn homeland."

The Ascheri Foundation. An organization made by The Ascheri family that operates in humanitarian aid, and is also, the greatest tool of the family for tax avoidance. Ever since the law that allows tax exemption from the expense of corporate social responsibilities program was passed through the council, it's said that the family have saved up to 150 million Ausvin in their coffers thanks to the foundation.

"She's a daughter of an elven mother and a native of Andavida. During the last days of Emperor Tan Anak, The Runawijaya Empire is wrecked by internal conflicts, political strife, and insurgencies. Pretty much like when God-Emperor Ethelar Aramid passed away, when the realm of Aramia Empire is split into three with Ausvin being the smallest, yet the most fertile."

It takes an extremely powerful man to reign over such a vast territory, especially in an absolute monarchy. Emperor Tan Anak couldn't replace Rajamada II and the people's love for him when he usurped the throne from the crown prince. As for Aramia, there wasn't much bloodshed thanks to the masterful handling of the late Archminister, Nicholas The Heaven-Adored. Although many of the nobles assassinate each other during the Great Separation.

"She looks so young, was it because of the elven blood?"

"No, she's actually 13 years old. Although the elven blood halts ageing, that only occurs when a half-elf age has passed forty."

That sounds awfully convenient. However, thinking how high the birth-mortality rate in cross-species breeding is, I wouldn't say anything rude about that matter.

"How long have you been taking her in?"

"Three years, since she lost both of her parents."

Alright, hold up. Three years, and then suddenly she became a lecturer in a prestigious academy that has been intended for young adults? I have trouble putting the jigsaws together.

"So you are telling me, that she became a lecturer in three years subsequent to her arrival in Seraina? A 13-year-old brat, on top of that? I'm so sorry that is too hard to believe."

"She is special, Zam. Even by my standard, she is special."

The solemn on Zevia's face left me speechless. There is a hint of pride and admiration on her face. I don't know how she feels, but I think she wasn't being serious when she said she likes to manipulate kids and stuff. Particularly so, when I remembered that she has no siblings whatsoever. I bet living in that enormous mansion of hers on her own could be lonely sometimes.

"How did she learn her stuff?"

"Her late mother taught her the basics, but after the foundation took her, she learned from a few wandering mages. We found out her aptitudes in Yarna on Sun's Crown two years ago."

Sun's Crown is the name of a month in this world calendar.

"She became a master in two years?"

"Yes. It turns out that she is exceptionally good at Yarna when I send her to Sindris to learn under the guidance of Grandmaster Thanis. She reaches the adept tier in two years where even promising apprentices normally take fifteen to twenty years to attain that level."

How is that even possible? That's the same as saying she is somehow ten times more talented than talented apprentices in the capital of magic. Uh oh, I think I really should not get on her bad side.

"Anyway, you should rest now, and resume your session after lunch. I'm looking forward to your progress."

Zevia stood up and wanted to leave.

"Wait."

I stopped her halfway. After all, there is this one thing that I'm concerned about.

"I still can't move my hands. Is this magic?"

"Who knows? You oughta ask Kinan. The magic of archipelago people is peculiar after all."


 

[Academy Ground, Medical Ward, 02.00 PM - After School]

I was looking over the window when the door suddenly opened on its own. I was startled until I saw Master Kinan walk in. Seriously, this bed is too high, and Master is too short that it's hard to notice.

She took a chair as a stepping ladder to climb up the bed and then sat between my legs with her legs folded backwards comfortably. I said nothing and so did she. She flipped over the blanket to take a look at my hands. When she did that, I realized that the lower half of my body feels so cold when it's exposed to the air.

"Cold?"

"Yes, Master."

Then, she tucked up my shirt and uncovered my navel. At that moment, I noticed that there were a lot of black gashes on the skin of my abdomen. Some are light, and some are deep black. Master Kinan puts her wooden stick on the gashes, and the density of the black colour lessens gradually and considerably.

However, the dark colour seemed to seep into her stick instead.

"Cold?"

". . . No."

After that, she turns her attention to my hands. She flips my languid hands several times before tapping her stick on them in consecutive. Then, she creates water with magic on her palm and wipes the drawing of lines and symbols on my hands. She slowly moves her hand like she is smearing something, and I can see the water turn dark from the ink that is pulled off of my skin.

Master Kinan took a glass from the table next to the bed and threw away the drinking water inside it before filling it with the floating water in her palm instead.

"Drink it."

"What?!"

Is she crazy?! That's dirty!

"Zevia told me you can't feel magic. Drink this and you can see for a while."

I ended up drinking the dark water she shoved up to my face, and believe me - I had never tasted anything so bitter before. Even vomit is tastier than whatever this shit she gave me. I almost threw up, but Master forced me to drink it as she pinched my face.

Suddenly, my body grows so hot, and there's a faint stinging pain all over my skin, from head to toe. My heart is beating so fast, I think it even feels like I have two hearts beating. My breathing is rugged and it takes everything to control myself. What is this feeling? What has she done to me?!

"Don't close your eyes. Look at me."

I slowly opened my eyes, and I was so confused by what lay before me. Colours are crashing all around me, and I can hardly see the form of things. The bed, the window, the wall, the ceiling, Master Kinan, everything blends into unexplainable figures, and so do their colours.

"W-What happened to me? There's too much! I'm feeling dizzy . . ."

"Do whatever you want, but don't close your eyes. Trust your own body, they will adjust. Blinking is fine tho, but don't do it too much."

After a few minutes, The colours and forms of things start to fall to their places. With the last blink, everything returned to normal, but with a side note. I can see colours encircling Master Kinan. They are black and blue. I can notice they slowly dispersing to the invisible, but for now, I can see them quite clearly.

"Done? What do you see?"

"Black, and blue also."

"The blue is the main form, it's Anima. The black was also the blue, but it got manifested. It's Yarna-altered Anima. Now take a look at your hands."

I reflexively pull up my hands, and they can move now. Yet, what is more surprising to me, is the fact that my hands are covered in black colours. From my elbows all the way to the tip of my fingers.

"What you did back then, awakened your dormant talent," Master Kinan said as she sat back on her legs.

1