Chapter 56: Spatial Rift, Battlecruiser
31 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 56: Spatial Rift, Battlecruiser

Cyberspace was nearly indistinguishable from reality.

The blazing sun was overhead, casting short meandering shadows throughout the nameless city. Nighthawk’s attacks rendered the bustling metropolitan lifeless, the bulk of citizens having evacuated into shelters. Ain was silently staring out the window, watching these fleeting sights. Hugo piloted the rover, chatting with Frans and Paula. It’d been several minutes since they departed; they were heading towards their S-class mission. Judged by the virtual map, ten kilometers still remained. Without warning, a sudden piercing light, like a second sunrise, arose in the distance. Everyone’s eyes widened in startle. Before words were uttered, thundering sounds dazed their eardrums. A powerful force, akin to destructive waves, swept through the area. Hugo’s control over the low-flying vehicle faltered, violently rattling the rover, its passengers thrashed about like ragdolls. Emergency stasis devices and holographic safety cushions – the vehicles safety measures, were activated instantaneously. A soft force firmly secured them in place as the rover’s autonomous driving system mitigated a fatal disaster by crash-landing on the barren streets. A trail of smoke rose from the downed vehicle. With a powerful kick, Ain destroyed the door, launching it several meters away. He exited the vehicle with swift motions, the others joining him soon after. “What just happened?” Paula heaved. The region was overcome by a cloud of dust and debris with damaged buildings surrounding them. Ain divulged his guess, “Maybe the spatial rift was just summoned…”

“Is this how it’s supposed to be? I thought the spatial rift would just be a silent portal.” Hugo said, his voice laced with bewilderment and relief. Fortunately, Ace had been in his aether ring, avoiding the disaster. Frans observed the virtual map, “Ain is probably right. The direction where that light appeared matches our destination.”  Paula glanced at their crashed rover. “The rover is totaled, and I don’t see any others around either. We still have ten kilometers to cover,” she said. “I’ll see if Ace can find one,” Hugo replied, summoning Ace. Soon, Hugo received good news, and their journey resumed with caution. As their destination grew nearer, an apocalyptic sight unfolded before them. Past the heaps of collapsed structures, an urban sector was in complete ruins, utterly flattened to the ground. The epicenter of this barren land bore a region of space torn apart like a lifted invisible veil, revealing an ominous gray mist inside. This was the spatial rift! It extended for nearly a hundred meters to the sides, its height almost twenty meters. A few demonic beasts escaped every ten seconds from the gray mist. They released vicious roars and shrieks, embroiling in battle against the military forces curbing their advance. Above the battlefield, battlecruisers swept past while shooting powerful energy beams at the invading demonic beasts. This chaotic war scene instantly brought astonishment to their faces. Nighthawk’s battle against the NCDF fell short of the thrilling sight before them. “It’s just like the movies!” Hugo exclaimed.

“Let’s disembark here.” Frans said. The group left he rover and climbed onto tall pile of rubble, gaining a better vantage point. Ain glanced around the battlefield, absorbing large amounts of information, some redundant while others crucial.

The city’s military forces, donning blue mechanical armor, were battling against the demonic beasts.

None of the demonic beasts were capable of flight.

Several participant teams were already fighting.

The demonic beasts primarily supported faded hues, their colors desaturated, lacking brightness.

The flying battlecruisers were powerful. The demonic beasts were killed with either one, two, or six blue energy beams.

The demonic beasts rarely targeted the battlecruisers.

The large airship that’d reinforced the NCDF was afloat in the skies. It was closing the spatial rift at gradual, but constant rate.

“Let’s join the battlefield. With the military present, there’s need to worry about being surrounded.” Frans eagerly suggested. Despite his extensive education, the masculine urge to participate in a beastly war was still present. At this moment, Ain interrupted, “Wait. I think there’s a way to kill more demonic beasts.” The others glanced at him puzzledly. He then said, “In the last mission, we could’ve destroyed the spatial anchor first to damage the opponents. It was hidden gimmick by the mission. In this mission, the battlecruisers are probably the same.” Everyone glanced at the flying battlecruisers. “Hugo, try to hijack one.” Ain added. “Me?” Hugo was stupefied. “Ace can take you up there,” said Ain. Hugo was momentarily overwhelmed. However, before long, a strange gleam suffused his eyes, a wide grin creeping onto his face. He clenched his fists, almost yelling, “That’s so exciting! Let’s do it!”

Frans and Paula exchanged glanced. It did… seem plausible. “Are we all going to commandeer battlecruisers?” Paula inquired with a tiny grin, expectant herself. Battlecruisers were naturally attractive to an aspiring machinist. Ain nodded affirmatively. That’s what he hoped for. However, he still reminded, “Let’s see if we get points by killing with the battlecruiser first.” The rest agreed. Hugo impatiently summoned Ace before getting carried into the air by his shoulders. Ain watched intently as a battlecruiser halted at Hugo’s approach, allowing an effortless boarding. “It worked!” Paula almost jumped in joy! Amidst their smiles, the battlecruiser abruptly dropped, causing their hearts to jolt. However, within seconds, its hasty descent paused. It began rotating in place. Then, as if taking baby steps, the battlecruiser moved about randomly, sometimes shooting a blue energy beam into the horizon. By now, they’d realized what’d happened. Frans said sheepishly “Ah, we forgot to consider whether Hugo could pilot the battlecruiser…” Ain was expressionless. He’d also assumed that Hugo could pilot the battlecruiser, just as he’d naturally handed over the rover. With some adjusting, the battlecruiser finally fired an energy beam at a demonic beasts, killing it instantaneously. There were no explosion; the beast’s body was torn while its flesh and blood were seared. Only the impact from the beam piercing through the beast before striking the ground propelled some dirt and debris. Ain waited patiently but received no points from the kill. Everyone exchanged glances, their excitement plummeting down. Their plan had failed.

Ain furrowed his brows, saying, “This wouldn’t be an S-class mission if it were that easy. Maybe we need to attack the demonic beasts ourselves too.” “I think so too.” Frans echoed. The mission would indeed lose its purpose without their participation. They waved at the battlecruiser, prompting Ace to dive down. Through his spirit pet, Hugo understood Ain’s idea. The battlecruisers featured windshields with integrated displays. The demonic beasts in sight were highlighted with different colors, distinguishing their ranks. The Branded Rank-1s were highlighted in orange. The group skirted the battlefield and approached Hugo’s chosen target through Ace’s guidance. The target was a two meters tall, furry quadruped with long frontal limbs and a gnarly wolf-like face. This was an unknown Branded Rank-1 Demonic Beast. It was baring its sharp fangs, preparing to charge. However, at this moment, a blue beam of energy struck its back. The demonic beast plunged onto the ground with horrid burns. Already prepared, Ain launched a Spectral Blast, attacking alongside Frans and Paula. Once the spells exploded, a virtual prompt manifested in their eyes.

[+4 Points]

Everyone’s eyes brightened. Indeed, their personal participation was required! Solely relying on the battlecruiser was incorrect. Although the 20% penalty resulted in four points, the plan’s feasibility was confirmed. Next, they tried to commandeer a second battlecruiser, but unexpectedly, the doors were locked this time. Another trial and this fact remained unchanged. At this point, they knew that only one battlecruiser was allowed, becoming the source of Paula’s disappointment. While Frans comforted her, Ain beckoned to Ace, saying, “Focus on targeting Perfected Rank-1 Demonic Beasts.” Carrying these words, the green eagle left for the skies, informing its spirit master once within range for telepathic communication. “Perfected Rank-1? Got it.” Hugo smirked. He maneuvered the battlecruiser and discovered a red highlight – a Perfected Rank-1 Demonic Beast. “You’re the one.”

The military forces, participants, and demonic beasts were interwoven on the battlefield. As such, Ain, Frans, and Paula smoothly chased after Ace, deftly evading the demonic beasts. Soon, the Grand Eagle reached their target, circling above a particular demonic beast. It was a snake with dull gray scales, broad as a tree trunk, locked in combat with blue-armored soldiers. Just as Ain’s group arrived, the soldiers abruptly disengaged. From the skies, a blue beam descended, striking the large snake with monumental force.

Hiss! The snake’s scales shattered as it hissed in pain.

Ain’s group maintained a safe distance. This was a Perfected Rank-1 Demonic Beast. Its attacks could be fatal. Prudence was necessary. “Four more strikes, right?” Frans asked which Ain affirmed. It would be their turn after five strikes from the battlecruiser. Nonetheless, the battle wasn’t as smooth as they’d hoped for. Hugo’s subsequent strikes struggled to connected. The cunning snake, aware of the airborne danger, moved in a serpentine manner while launching poisonous blobs at the battlecruiser. Hugo was forced to dodge repeatedly, further reducing his accuracy. Ain steeled his nerves, “We have to distract it.”

The other two reached the same conclusion. Exchanging unspoken words, they launched a series of long-range spells, allowing Hugo to attack unimpeded, unconcerned of friendly-fire. The multidirectional attacks promptly divided the snake’s attention. The battlecruiser above was menacing while the attacks from below were disruptive. At times, the annoyed snake targeted Ain’s group, forcing them to scatter, but Hugo’s strikes of retribution eased their plight. Wherever the energy beams struck, the snake’s injuries deteriorated. It released clouds of toxins to hinder their vision, but Ace’s fluttering wings conjured a Piercing Gale to clear them away. At this point, the battlecruiser finally delivered the fifth auspicious strike, forcing the large snake to the ground.

Ain’s eyes revealed a glint. “Attack!”

3