Chapter 29 – Children’s Expedition (4)
179 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofreader: Me! (Sorry for the wait, school's getting pretty busy. I got a bunch of assignments rolling in, so thanks for the wait everyone.)

We were respectively split into our groups of five, with eyes over in my direction at all times. I was put into group seven, filling my heart with a nostalgic feeling. However, that wasn’t the important part. 

“Tsk,” Percy clicked his tongue looking at me.

And neither was his reaction the important thing, but rather the person in front.

A huge paladin plated my vision, “I’m sorry.” 

“Uh…” A confused sound exited my mouth.

“For my actions regarding this week, I am truly sorry for my actions.”

It was Carlos Klaus, perfectly alive in the flesh. I had no idea how they managed to repair his body from such a vegetative state.  Just as in the game, we were assigned one senior per group to oversee our activities. And luckily enough, it was the guy who was trying to kill me the other day.

“Why is the senior apologising to you?” Percy made his confusion apparent.

“Nothing much.” I turned toward Carlos, “It’s fine, I forgive you.”

Only for a price. I'll take my compensation later. 

He stood up, bowing once again. “Thank you, Lord Luke.”

“Lord?” I asked.

Now, the other three members of the group paid attention.

“After being saved by you, and receiving the teachings of the future saintess, it is clear to me now that you… you are Lord Astria’s avatar,” His eyes held a dangerous loyalty.

What the fuck did Uriel do to him, rather what happened to him?

“Is this related to the ‘incident?’ Prince Charles mentioned?” One of our female members approached me.

“No comment,” I swiftly evaded it. “Anyways, I know Percy and our senior here, so can you three introduce yourselves?”

The one who asked me the question stepped up, “I am Frennia, from Class B-2.” She had a solid physique compared to her piers, owning dense muscles that even I could notice.

“Kyle, Class C-1,” He shrugged his shoulders, his long, brown hair following along.

“I am Beatrice Ella Evangeline, the daughter of the Earl Evangeline. I am of Class C-1,” She curtsied maintaining a noble etiquette, with her orange hair flowing past her shoulders.

The three were minor characters in the game I believe. Their appearances even felt somewhat familiar…

“Alrighty. The senior here is Carlos Klaus, and the nerd’s Percy.” I smirked. “Let’s get along everybody.”

They all nodded their heads.

That’s enough,” Runalia took centre stage. “Step into your respective teleporters as per your professor’s instructions.”

“Perfect, we’re about ready aren’t we?” I rhetorically asked.

Their silence permeated around the group atmosphere. Ah well, we just got to know each other.

An instructor approached us, “Group seven, step in now.”

We all huddled within the blue circle on the ground, supported by veins pumped with mana.

“Good luck, and may you all become heroes worthy of the word.” They sent their farewells.

The world blurred, with blue lights streaking around us. Visions were warped and the butterflies in my stomach were throwing a ruckus.

“H-how is everyone doing?” I managed to ask.

Tsk. Shut up.”

“Lord Luke, all is well.”

The other three echoed, “We’re fine.”

Why was I the only one suffering?

Thinking that, the blurring around us ended. Natural lights filled our surroundings showing the beauty of the world. A forest sprawled out before us.

Similarly, other groups began to sprout into existence around us. I could even spot a few friendly faces among them.

Clap! Clap!

“Everyone!” A bubbly voice had emerged. “As some of you know, I am Professor Clarisse. And I am your guide for today!”

“The dungeon is a little deeper in this forest, and we ought to get a move on!” She waved, “See you all there!”

Clarisse jolted into the clearing before all the students, waking us up from our stupor. Carlos got into it, beginning to run before most could react.

“My Lord, we should begin at once,” He suggested.

“We don’t wanna be last, follow Carlos’ lead,” I ordered my team instantaneously.

“Why should I?” Percy rejected my offer.

“Without the nerd, cmon guys!” I ran with the other three.

Argh-“ He grumbled, “Fine! Fine! Just don’t leave me behind!”

In unison, we began to run as a unit, except for the lone child dragging its feet behind the rest. The forest had rough ground, causing many to stumble in the chase for Clarisse.

“I-I did… not sign up for this!” The nerd complained from behind.

Beatrice spoke up despite her loss of breath, “If we have to put up with this, so do you!”

“Exactly!” I exclaimed, “To be a hero one must train their mental and physical endurance!”

“Lord Luke is exactly right,” Carlos nodded in agreement from afar.

Percy continued to grumble while we ran at our quickest. Only managing to find glimpses of our guide professor, we had to trust Carlos’ intuition.

Time would go on as our breaths grew shorter. We were met with green upon green, with the occasional broken branch. I could hear the rustlings of other groups trying to catch up, but we were rather behind thanks to a certain someone.

“I’m- I’m done!” A voice let out from behind, “I can’t!”

I sighed, “Carlos, how fast can you run while carrying someone?” 

“The same speed, however, I will most likely run out of energy before we make it,” He answered without delay.

“Alright bitch boy, you gotta hitch a ride.”

“Excuse me?” He pushed up his glasses, drenched in sweat.

“Pfft,” Frennia let out a small chuckle. Beatrice smiled slightly, and Kyle remained emotionless.

I know it seemed much farther considering what we’ve seen for the past half an hour. However, if I remember the game’s content, it shouldn’t be as long as it looked. It was kind of like a mental check for the less athletic.

Percy was grabbed and hoisted over Carlos’ shoulder, grunting in the process. Truly, it was a grand sight of the four eyes being put down a peg.

“We’re ready to go again, let’s move it!” 

We were probably dead last right now, but it is what it is. Bad luck of the draw getting the weakest person of the entire cohort. And since I was here, most of his practical knowledge was useless.

-x-

The run sapped all of our energy, with the reward being the sight of a final clearing.

“And here’s the last six!” Clarisse let out a mocking smirk.

A cave bore into a cliff, resembling the mouth of a skull. A giant barrier formed with mana covered its entrance, with a mischievous professor in front of it.

“We were that late?” I sighed.

“Yup! So as a penalty, you all start with less equipment for the next three days!” She joyfully announced our doom.

Four out of the six of us let out a gloomy sigh. 

“Don’t look too down, you have Luke after all!” Clarisse reassured my team using my presence.

“Ha. Ha. Ha.” I laughed slowly. “Yeah…”

It was frightening seeing the world hoisting me up on a pedestal. After all, this character I am in, is a complete extra in the game.

“I can’t trust that at all!” Percy burst out in a fit of anger. “There’s nothing that suggests he is capable in any sense.”

Karlos’ face grimaced, while the other three let out a disapproving breath. This guy has the balls to call me out while being the reason we were late.

Why was he even useful to begin with?

Right… the best support character. He’d begin to simp for the other main cast or protagonists soon enough as well. But I had to endure, he was necessary for some events on Serina's route, which would also mean he was for the others.

“Alright. Hear me out,” I quickly came up with an idea the bitch would like. “Listen, if we fail this expedition I’ll drop out of the Golden Nest. However, you have to listen to my orders while we’re in the dungeon.”

“I…” He clicked his tongue. “Accept, but don’t expect me to obey your every whim.”

“Finally,” Frennia hyped herself up. “We can go in now right?”

“Of course, for if this bug continues his squeaking, I will do my best to ruin his life,” Beatrice’s malice was not unheard.

Percy’s face soured at the comment but didn’t say anything.

“Okay, everyone!” I clapped my hands. “Let’s get a move on, we can’t bicker in the dungeon or we’ll risk death itself.”

“Haha, that’s what I like to hear.” Clarisse watched on from the sidelines. “Go forward, I’ll open the gate.”

The barrier vaporised from top to bottom, resembling sci-fi-like scenes. 

This was getting exciting…

I could finally begin the Mini-Map quest line. No more getting lost, and no more accidental encounters.

5