Chapter 31 – Children’s Expedition (6)
118 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofreader: Me! (ALMOST SCHOOL HOLIDAYS, WHICH MEANS, I CAN START FOCUSING ON MY STORY SOON!!! YESSSS)

The hidden piece had been placed within a hidden room, in a hidden corner, to start a hidden quest line. Yeah, what a way to confuse a person.

Stones were ordered in lines across the floor of this cube-like interior. Most would probably assume it was some kind of puzzle or riddle, but it was simply a diversion.

“Yup, here it is.”

A tablet of stone from the far right corner. Place it over the middle of the room, and voila.

“Woah-“ 

Wind surged around me, picking up and scattering all the rocks across the floor. Mana swirled in a tornado-like motion, becoming visible to the naked eye. The sensation was akin to being in the eye of a storm.

From the ceiling, rocks crumbled revealing a musty old book. 

"Finally, here we are!" After all this time, I finally got it. But first, I had to start the quest line.

How? By opening the book.

The front cover’s image was ruined but hinted at a lore hidden by continuing the quest. By playing through the game and doing each chain quest, players would slowly uncover the truth behind the text in this thing. 

I mean… when the pages are filled with an insane man’s ramblings, you have to wonder how a mini-map is even remotely related. It would also mysteriously fade into ash after reading it.

Anyways!

World’s Atlas (C?) (100% Proficiency)

  • View the world from a bird’s eye view, observing the surroundings on a 2D plane.
  • [Incomplete.]

In the top right corner of my vision, an RPG-esque mini-map had taken place. A small square, with a yellow dot in the centre. There were dark splotches on the map representing the tunnels I hadn’t gone through yet. Although, there was a lack of detection for enemies.

Honestly, regardless of whether I complete this quest line or not, just having a base minimap was a God send. The chain quests were spread out over the first two years, so unlocking all its features seemed far-fetched.

This wonderful skill truly made me wonder how the [Fairy Queen’s Blessing] could be so useless. I can’t even summon Fjleora yet. I tried and solemnly passed out. 

The best I could do for now was create a permanent mental link with her, but that required a catalyst strong enough to hold her will. A low ball of maybe, a mana stat of 30 and a high-level mana crystal. Things that I, personally couldn’t obtain.

“Guahhh!” 

From the noises alone, the fight must’ve come closer. This place would never open again after leaving it, so there was no chance of any traces being left. Neither would anyone know where I’ve gone.

I peered outside the hidden room, my head barely popping out from the passageway. The first thing I noticed was that things were starting to get heated. Not just one, but two groups had joined hands to fend off against the onslaught.

“Support the back rear!” A senior commanded the first years, “They’ll fall apart soon!”

The priest shouted back, “I-I can’t! My prayers can’t be cast continuously!” 

“Ah!” One of them fell on their back, “Wait! I can’t die… not yet!”

“Cast a barrier now!”

“But!”

I collected mana into my hand, spotting the red circles on the approaching ant monsters. However, a rapidly approaching status board reversed my judgement.

Boom!

Within my vision, a flash of green flashed across the cave. Sparks grazing against the hard dungeon walls.

“Bwahaha!”A giant student, coloured with green hair shoved his great sword in between the fallen student and their pursuers. In its wake, the steel-like ants blasted through the air.

Vyke, the one who openly showed respect to me during Floreis’ class. I always thought he was boisterous, but I guess you gotta look at one’s good aspects too.

“Stop charging ahead!” A few students trailed off behind him. “We can’t keep up!”

“We’re heroes destined for greatness! We save lives on the fly, where time has no mercy!” He raised his sword amongst the falling students, “Stand! I will lead the charge.”

In contrast to the bright students, a tangible string of darkness sprawled out from within the walls. Feelings of dread rushed through my body, despite the ever-increasing morale.

My eyes which contained the mini-map trembled. Although all seemed fine, there was just one possibility. Just one thing that could make this dungeon impossible. All decided purely by bad luck.

And I was witnessing it, right before my eyes. I gave my internal goodbyes to Vyke and co, where I had to leave even if they would all crumble.

I traced my steps backwards thanks to the mini-map, finding my group chatting despite the current predicament.

I panted against a standing rock, “Everyone… we need to leave,” 

“Oh, you’re back already?” Percy ignored the atmosphere.

I ignored him, “Professors will start evacuating us soon, but we'll be caught up with the chaos from this close.”

Question marks floated atop their heads.

Frennia grabbed my arm, “Explain it to us first, please.”

“Yeah- we have no idea what you’re on about!” Percy joined in, realising my seriousness later than the rest.

Once again the goo-like substance of demonic mana stretched its grasp toward our camp. Time was running thin at this rate.

“I need you all to trust me,” I stared Percy down, “Just this once.”

“Of course we will, you are our current team leader,” Beatrice commented.

They all quietened down after her words. Thankfully, she had her head screwed on right.

“Wait! We didn’t track our path!” Frennia exclaimed.

I smirked, reassured by the floating map in my vision. “Trust me.”

“Uh… alright,” She gave up knowing my so called ‘expertise.’

Kyle and Carlos patiently waited in the corner, already trusting of my decision. I pushed forward, tracing the dungeon back to the entrance. However, I would need to split off from everyone else. I was almost certain that Fen would meet ‘him', soon enough.

We ran past waters, caves, and resting monsters, fending off those that approached. 

“We can’t engage in full fights, focus on getting past them!” I yelled at Kyle, too deep in enemy lines.

“Got it,” He swiftly danced between the ants, finding his rhythm in their unorganised attacks.

Frennia paused behind me, “I hear shouts of others nearby!”

I was reminded of Vyke’s group, who were deep within the tunnel system. The event must’ve started already, meaning I had to make a choice here and now.

“Carlos."

“I am at your order,” He bowed.

“Tch,” I bit my tongue, “Guide them past this point, I trust in Frennia’s tracking to make it out fine.”

It was unfortunate not having any kind of reassurance, but I needed to guarantee the lives of Uriel, Ash and Rodney. These protagonists needed to deal with their arch enemies, as no one else would be ‘right’ enough to defeat them. 

Fucking restrictions.”

“But you’re the leader!” Percy called out uncharacteristically.

I chuckled, “Heh, I believe in your four eyes. Same with the rest of you, keep formation, and it’ll be fine.”

They nodded in unison, filling me up with pride. I watched them march onward, trusting my words fully.

Huhu, I didn’t know I could lead a team so easily. I know we hadn’t built up perfect teamwork, but the chemistry was there. Considering I only explained a couple of things and directed us down a path, the trust was higher than expected.

I’d have to join up with those three for next week. Beatrice, Kyle and Frennia, I’ll remember them this time. I waved, tumbling back into the crowds of monsters.

“Alright, let’s go save some main characters shall we?"

Although I wish I could do more than that, I’m still technically an extra.

-x-

Fen Castelle POV

My team grabbed their heads, frantically squirming on the floor as if they were bugs. I poured my mana into the surroundings utilising my mediocre magical skills to summon a temporary cube barrier. This would relieve them of the mind-penetrating aura of darkness. Uriel, the saint candidate will soon be here regardless, she would fix them up.

After all I was now certain. I felt it, the presence of demons. The mastermind of the event Luke had ended yesterday, they were here.

I felt a wave of magma erupt within me. Soon… we will meet again.

“Wait for me, Brother.”

I walked toward where my [Intuition] led me. For it would bring me toward my lost family. 

-x-

Uriel’s POV

“Why is everyone going insane!?” My shout echoed, leaving me all alone with Rodney.

“Urgh!” Rodney put up his hammer and shield, using his body to defend me from the mouth-bubbling students.

“Dammit!” He spat out blood, a greatsword grazed past his arm. “Vyke you bastard!”

He waved his arm, resembling a war god towering over tiny soldiers. Shockwaves blasted into the surroundings, throwing the former students away from us. Even the mighty Vyke had been repelled.

“We need to get out now.”

I nodded frantically, and I followed his back. Yet, I glanced toward the unconscious students. 

Useless…” I cursed myself, unable to do anything. I needed time and focus to cast a prayer, unlike a high-ranking priest.

Rodney caught my words, “Don’t say that, you’re still growing.”

“…” I couldn’t agree with his words.

“Hah, let’s continue for now,” He sighed, unable to lift my spirits.

A certain student filled my mind as if he could solve everything. He was weak, and stupid, but stubborn, knowing things that he shouldn’t be able to come across. 

But… it was nothing but a child’s naivety.

“What… what is that!?” Rodney paused, his face distorted beyond the norm.

A clearing peered out from across us, a darkness emanating from the centre. My heart and mind blanked, with only a sphere becoming my focus.

I felt it calling for me.

“Uri what are you doing!” His voice lost its lustre.

Slap!

Uwaaah!” My mind jolted awake.

Only one person came to mind, “Luke…?”

“No.” A blonde elf took his place, staring at the motionless Rodney and my fallen self. “We do need to move, however.”

“How did you-“

“He told me,” Ash’s words were cryptic.

Curiosity overtook me, “Who?”

His demeanour remained nonchalant, “The one you named.”

My face was overcome with heat. How could I have let my inner voice take control that easily?! Seemingly, Ash didn't care, immediately facing Rodney right after.

“Rodney, I must also request your assistance,” He bowed, “Fen, our classmate is currently in grave danger.”

“I… yeah, that’s- of course.” Ron was regaining his senses, and so was I. We were disoriented, from both darkness and the situation at hand.

“Great, we must go now," As soon as he arrived, he began leading us.

I took one last glance at the orb of darkness, even now I felt its influence.

Rodney tugged my arm, “Uri, come on.”

"Ah, yes!" 

4