Chapter 21 – Last Preparations (1)
292 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofreader: Me (I'm finally catching up on missed chapters, currently two ahead right now!)

“Luke!” 

Fen was shaking my shoulder and yelling in my ear. “Get up!”

I know I told him to wake me up when he normally does, but please man, be civil about it.

Ugh-“ Groans fell out of my mouth as I climbed my way out of bed. “Thanks for waking me up... see you.”

I pulled on my academy uniform, activating the automatic cleaning function. There was not a moment left to waste, as Erin would probably kill me if I did.

“Good luck with the training,” Fen lent a concerned look, “I saw your body, keep yourself safe, yeah?”

“Alright, alright.”

“Also try having a shower,” He commented as I was leaving.

I would have done so if I had time…

I barged out the door and practically began sprinting toward hell. Along the way, I enhanced my regeneration which would allow me to be in fairly good shape for the beatings.

-x-

Opening the training centre's front doors, Erin was present with a not-so-pleased expression.

“Five minutes late,” She grumbled. “Get into your sword stance.”

She kicked a wooden sword toward me. I picked it up, but she wasn’t in a fighting pose. “Why aren’t you also getting ready?” 

“You are now aware of what you’re lacking, yes?” 

I nodded with a slight hesitance.

Erin continued in a lecture-like voice, “Then, I need to correct your posture so you can improve on your wrongs.” She walked up to me, causing my nerves to spike. Her face was less than a touch away. 

You know, even if you’re not my favourite anymore, this still makes me incredibly nervous! 

“I see,” She made some noises, and began to reach out for my arms as I kept my stance straight.

Erin’s hands ravaged my body, feeling up my arms, waist, and legs. I was doing my best to not pitch a tent, regardless of the context.

“A- are you done yet?” I managed to mutter.

“Hmmm…” She took a step back, taking one last look over my body. “There are issues which impede on your swordsmanship, so I’ll have to also correct it.”

My body unconsciously reacted to hearing those words again. 

Pfft,” Erin uncharacteristically giggled. “I didn’t expect what happened last night to create that much of a scare.”

“Of course, I’d be scared, without proper warning you began to beat the crap out of me!” 

“It was necessary,” She coldly told me.

I doubted that.

After our slight banter, she began to forcefully change the positions of my body. She moved my arms at a different angle, changing bits and pieces of how I operated myself.

“Overall, your form is too stiff,” Erin summarised it all. “So, memorise the way your body is now.”

“Yes ma’am!” 

Excuse me?” A dangerous glint was present in her eyes.

“Nothing!” I swiftly evaded a beating, never to mention a woman’s age.

Although my body felt awkward, the slight differences already felt liberating in a way. 

“Swing,” She ordered after I got comfortable.

Swish! A lot of wind brushed past my face from the pressure.

It had a lot more ‘oomph’ than it usually did. Beforehand, I felt resistance in my hips and arms when attacking. But now, not only were my movements less clunky, but the power could flow correctly. The notion that I was too stiff made a lot of sense.

“Good,” Erin praised me with proudness in her voice, “This is a lot better than before.”

It was nice to be praised. “Of course, training under a demon such as yourself would show results.”

“Ahem.”Her eyebrows twitched. “Did Uriel patch you up?”

“No.” I assumed she was referring to how quickly I recovered. “I’m still not in the best shape, but good enough.”

“How could you recover that quickly?” She ruminated over it for a moment. “Enhancement?”

“Yup, versatile isn’t it?” Such a unique ability, and yet ‘Luke’ still failed to succeed originally.

“Great, then let’s get started.”

I was visibly perplexed, “Started…?

“Sparring.” She stated as if it was only a matter of course.

-x- 

I was sitting in homeroom with sore spots littered across my body. I hugged the potted plant on my desk, knowing it was the only safe place there.

“It’ll be a tough but manageable day,” I murmured in hindsight.

Today, Luna would again try to advance on Ash with the new onset of classes. It was troublesome knowing I’d have to get involved in each of the events. 

We had magic control and I was betting that I’d be able to increase my mana pool, to support two enhancements at once. It was frankly exhausting, where my only break would be after the dungeon exploration on Friday.

Currently, Runalia was lecturing something about keeping up with work assigned by classes. Gibberish.

“Luke, you in particular,” She called my name. “I’ve caught word that you’ve done nothing so far.”

“…”

“If this behaviour continues, consider your position in jeopardy.”

“Sure, sure,” I halfheartedly agreed, knowing most of that was an act. There were more things to worry about than mere ‘homework.’ 

I laid back in my chair hearing a noise from above.

Violet hair dangled in front of my face. “Are you struggling?”

Wasn’t Serina sitting in front…? How’d she get behind me without realising? And wasn’t she still resting from the grave’s events?

“No, in fact, I’d rather worry about you,” I observed her neat appearance and blank stare, “You weren’t here yesterday after last morning’s incident.”

She didn’t respond, instead looking at her hand as if pondering something. “I… was resting.”

In reality, I was curious as to how she even managed to find or learn about that place. It would be impossible to start that quest line two years early… under normal circumstances.

“Ugh-“ I groaned from thinking too much. Although, it seemed to startle Serina.

“Are you okay?” She paused before awkwardly continuing, “I am…. here for help.”

Well even if she did corner me like two days ago, we made up already. I think. In any case, there’s no world I would refuse such an offer, I’d have to be an idiot. 

Spoiler

(A/N: Yeah you right. *sweats* No way I wouldn’t either. *frantically deletes some drafts.*)

[collapse]

“Then, can I take you up on that?” It was a life-brightening opportunity. 

[Enigmatic Chance] had been my substitute uniform brooch, with no use until now. Finally, it would get the chance to shine. Before the fight of my life, I could get myself one free get-of-jail card, in the form of magic.

What might it be? The weakest but easiest spell, owning little to no mana cost with the downside of low damage.

Which, if I am reading this status board correctly, it states that ‘weak spots’ receive massively multiplied damage. It was in fact, the best spell for the weakest student of the Platinum Generation.

“Hmmm?” She lightly tilted her head, waiting for my request.

And I happily obliged, “I’ll tell you in class next period, join me for the pairing activity.”

Her violet eyes widened, “How would you know?”

Instinctively, I shirked back into the safety of my desk’s potted plant. “Well- it’s an educated guess. I’ve done my research into the seniors and their schedules.”

“…” A judging stare was baring holes into me. “I believe you.”

“Great,” I smiled with sweat dripping down my chin, “I’ll see you then.”

I fast walked my way to the exit as homeroom ended. Serina’s new, weird conduct of interaction was mentally tiring in a variety of ways.

I felt a signature hand on my shoulder before I could even take a step out the door. “Luke I know it’s only been a few days, but you seem to get along with Serina. Strangely so, considering how she’s changed.”

“What?”I shrugged his hand off. “Fen, do me a favour and explain your bullcrap.”

In all seriousness though, this was vital info.

“Seriously?” His face displayed an evident shock. “Everyone’s been talking about how she recently stopped contacting most of her friends, and even her ducal faction that she built from scratch.”

Hmmm… From what I knew originally, this behaviour is unprecedented across all story routes. However, with my current situation as it is, I have no time to pry.

“In the next class have you heard the new teacher?” I changed the topic in his favour, “Apparently they’re well-known across multiple continents.”

“Ah- yeah! It really gets my blood boiling,” Fem shifted gears immediately, fantasising about a fight with her.

We walked across the hallways, talking about random topics until we made it to our ‘classroom.’ If you could even call it that. It was similar to Professor Floreis’, just instead of an open field, it was a colosseum.

Everyone was in for a surprise that’s for sure. I put my hand on the doorknob, almost nervous at the already-expected sight.

Slap!

My hand exuded a red colour.

“I- the princess of the Alexander Kingdom will lead the class,” Luna scoffed. “Know your place commoner.”

“Ha…” Her behaviour would escalate until I did something about it. At the soonest, next week if I interrupt her sessions with any protagonist. Thankfully, I felt familiar glares in her direction the moment she spoke. 

It seemed I was more important than I realised. 

“Hmph.” The princess opened the door leading us to a new world.

A gladiator’s arena, a colosseum so to speak contrasted by a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, and overly smiling instructor.

“Good morning everyone! The name’s Clarisse, and I’m both your Magic Combat and Magic Control Teacher!” The Professor’s behaviour illuminated the musty and eerie environment.

“I’m also called Clair for short!”

Wasn’t she voted as seventh for ‘best girl’ in the popularity polls? If so it was something I could understand.

“We’ll get to know each other better if you select this class later on… so! For today, I want you all to pair up with someone!”

Naturally, mine and Serina’s eyes met. 

The [Magic Missile] would be mine to use by the end of class. 

15