Chapter 30: After the Dust Settled
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two months later…

Inside an inn room, Leiyu watched over a sleeping Thallios.  Thallios had been lying in bed all day, drifting in and out of his waking state.  Leiyu spent most of his time seated in a wooden chair by his side.

There was a knock on the door.  

“Come in,” Leiyu said.

Anying entered the room carrying a bag.  “I got more food and the medicine you requested.”  He glanced at the bed.  “How is he?”

“Better.  He’s recovering slowly.” Leiyu took the bag from Anying.  “Thank you for all your help.”

“We’re shixiong and shidi.  We’re supposed to help each other out.”

***

Two months prior, right after Leiyu activated the tracking talisman...

Anying was in the countryside somewhere in the Eastern Region when felt something in his sleeve.  He took out his tracking talisman, which was paired with the one he gave to Leiyu.  A ball of light was emitted from his talisman and floated into the air.

“Leiyu?” said Anying.  He began to follow the ball of light as it glided across the fields.

***

“It was quite a challenge finding you since I had to go across one region and into another,” said Anying.  “But if you were in danger, I had to keep going.”

***

Two weeks later after activating the tracking talisman…

Leiyu had managed to find his way out of the abyss after Samarian left.  Since he was in unfamiliar territory and had no idea where to go, he just wandered while carrying Thallios on his back.  At night, they would take shelter in caves he found or just sleep out in the open if he could not find anything else.  He was in a weakened state and did not want to push himself too much, especially since he needed to take care of Thallios.  Oftentimes, his only goal was to get enough food for both of them to eat for the day.  

One day, while walking down a dusty rural road carrying Thallios on his back, Leiyu saw someone up ahead walking in their direction.  Since they had not encountered anyone else on this stretch of road for days, he strained his eyes to see whether the approaching person would be a threat.

“Leiyu-shixiong!” the person called out.  He began to run towards them.

Leiyu’s eyes opened wide.

Shidi…” he breathed.

Anying ran up to them and stopped to catch his breath.  “Shixiong!  How did you end up here?”  He then saw Thallios being carried on Leiyu’s back.  “Oh no!  What happened to the prince?  Is he…still alive?”

“Yes, but he is very weak right now.  We need to get him somewhere safe so he can recover.”

“What happened?”

“It’s a long story.  I’ll tell you later.”

***

Leiyu placed the bag Anying had given him onto the table in the middle of the room.

“What about your other shixiong?” he asked Anying.

“Ah, Jianyi?  Haven’t seen him since I left to go find you.  Not a huge loss really…his temper was getting to be too much to deal with.”

“Well, I hope he finds some inner peace someday.”

“Heh, that’s really up to him.”  Anying looked at Thallios.  “What will you do after he recovers?”

“I don’t know.  Maybe just hang out around here for a while.  We’ve been running for so long, it would be nice to just stay put and rest for once.  Although, we’re going to run out of money soon, and I can’t keep relying on your generosity.”

“Ah, don’t worry about it!  I’ll help out as long as you need!  I can even help you find work.  Just let me know when you’re ready.”

“Thank you, shidi.”

“Anytime!  Anyway, I need to go out for a bit.  I’ll see you later.”

Anying left the room and Leiyu turned back to Thallios.  Thallios continued to sleep.

***

Later that day, Thallios woke up.  He tried to sit up but found it difficult to move.  Leiyu, who was curled up in the chair next to him, also woke up.

“Thallios!  You’re awake!” Leiyu exclaimed.  “Let me help you.”  He took Thallios’ arm and gently helped him to a seated position.

“Thank you, Leiyu…” Thallios murmured.  “How long was I sleeping?”

“You’ve been drifting in and out of sleep for the last few days.  You’re only half awake when I give you food.”

“Oh?  What have I been eating?”

“Cooled soup mostly.  Do you want any more?  I can have the kitchen bring up a fresh batch.  Anying also gave us some steamed buns and fruit.”

Thallios smiled weakly and then noticed something.  He touched his forehead.

“What happened to the ruby that used to be here?” he asked.

“Oh…it must have broken when you were fighting with the Earth Priestess.  You no longer had it after the battle was over.”

“Oh…” Thallios looked a bit pensive.  “I guess it’s all right…mother said to always wear it for protection, but the danger has passed now.  It has served its purpose…”

“How much do you remember of what happened?  You were Amara for the longest time.”

“I remember most of it - I’m getting better at retaining my memories of what goes on when I become Amara.  Although it felt like I was watching my own life through a window while standing in a darkened room.”

“That sounds…quite poetic…”

Thallios smiled, but then became more solemn.  “Leiyu…”

“Hm?”

“Did I really die that day?”

Leiyu shuddered as an unpleasant chill ran through his body. He had to look away for a moment to regain his composure.  Once he calmed down, he turned back to Thallios and said, “Yes…but you’re alive now, that’s all that matters…”

***

Some weeks later…

Leiyu entered the inn room in the evening.  The room was dimly lit by a candle lamp on the table.

“Thallios, I brought back some food-"

There was no one in the room. Leiyu felt a slight panic and looked around.

“Thallios?”

He saw that the doors to the balcony were slightly open.  Placing the food on the table, he walked out onto the balcony.  Thallios was standing there with his arms against the railing, wearing only a thin inner robe.

“Thallios?”

Thallios had his back facing Leiyu.  “You can see the city from here!” he exclaimed.

Leiyu walked up to him.  Thallios turned around and smiled.

Leiyu was suddenly reminded of the first day they had met.  They had been looking at the city of Ishkhandar from the rooftop garden in the palace and Thallios had been smiling the same way.  There was something very beautiful about it.

“Aren’t you cold?” Leiyu took off his cloak and placed it on Thallios’ shoulders.

“Thank you…” Thallios replied, wrapping the cloak tightly around himself.  “Why are you always so good to me, Leiyu?”

“Because…I love you…”

Thallios’ eyes widened with surprise.

Leiyu realized what he had just said out loud and covered his mouth with his hand.  “Oh…” His face began to flush.  “I-I’m sorry…that was too forward of me…”  He turned around quickly and walked back into the inn room.

“Wait!” Thallios called after him.  He ran inside and saw Leiyu heading towards the door.  “Leiyu, wait!”  He ran up to him and grasped his sleeve.  “Leiyu…”

Leiyu turned towards him.  Thallios puts his hand on Leiyu’s cheek.  “Leiyu…I…I love you too…”

They stared at each other for the longest moment.  Thallios stood on his toes and moved in closer until their faces almost touched.  They could both feel each other’s soft breaths.

Leiyu leaned down slightly, gently wrapped his arms around Thallios, and pulled him into a kiss.

A sudden gust of wind from outside blew through the balcony doors.

The flame in the candle lamp flickered and went out.

0