The death woke me up
177 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a void immersed in darkness and nothing more, a young man who had been wandering unconscious for a long time began to hear calls in his name coming from the depths of his own soul, awakening him respectively.

That voice which seemed to traverse the young man's being, perhaps of an old man, seemed quite muffled, disrupting the young man's understanding. Nevertheless, the senseless noises didn't cease to wake the young man.

‘.... Ah? Where am I?...’ He wondered, confused. 'Why is it so dark here?...'

Using his false eyes, he tried to look at his surroundings, but saw nothing. Although he had a physical body, that sensation was actually a kind of memory of his consciousness, because at that moment, he was just a piece of his own consciousness, like a flame about to burn out.

He wondered who could be calling for him, but his mind seemed too heavy, and the voice in his mind didn't even stop for a few seconds, that he felt pains in a head he didn't even possess.

'Ugh… damn it. I think I'm dead; I don't even feel my body, and that sensation...' he thought, although his mind was moving so slowly that he struggled to sense sadness or coherence.

The young man's latent desire to go back to sleep made him stop feeling many emotions.

‘Anyway, will I be here forever, in this darkness?... '

He didn't know how to explain, but he felt a quite cozy sense in a certain way that he could think about staying there forever. Of course, despite the darkness. On the other hand, he felt bored because of the darkness and boredom in general. It was a complex mix of feelings, with its pros and cons.

 ‘Oh, well… Maybe I should return to sleep… Maybe that's my purpose after death, who knows.’

Thinking about it, he closed his false eyes trying to fall asleep again, but in this moment, the whole void seemed shaken. Then, the noises became quite intense. 

‘W-what's going on!? My ears will burst with it…’

During his indignant thoughts, the noises gradually became more intelligible. Little by little the young man understood them more clearly.

‘ “ Ethan wake up, it's time for your recruitment, “ was what I heard?... ’ He wondered. 'Which kind of recruitment is that? Is it to be an angel? If so, Well… I want to, haha!’

Nevertheless, his happiness disappeared when suddenly he felt abruptly pulled to somewhere. As he couldn't see anything, only the fear filled him up. 

In this short period of time, somehow he felt his whole body ache, as if his bones were being broken.

‘Ugh!... what is that?... hell!’

And subtly, the absolute silence and pain broke…

‘Sigh… Damn it, my conscience has become weaaaaa…’ 

Before completing his sentence, suddenly he was pulled again, but now it was so fast that he lost his conscience abruptly; the sensation of nonexistence shattered…

———◇◆◇———

“Ethan, vagabond, wake up!’ The deep voice echoed in Ethan's mind, but now seemed closer. “The younger people of this epoch are all vagabonds, the future is lost!” the voice completed, taking advantage of the opportunity.

‘... Ugh… who is calling my name? I-i'm in paradise?... well, I think no, this voice seems like the devil's voice…’

Little by little his eyelids opened. The first time, he was blind to the bright light in every corner, then, his vision was gradually clearing.

‘... I'm in hell?... which will be my punishment?’

Wondering if the time had come to pay for his sins, he noticed where he was now. It wasn't anything like hell or heaven, in fact it was a simple room, which had a bed against the pebble wall, a desk, and to complete, holes in the roof, through which a lot of sunlight passed.

At this moment, he didn't remember that room, thus, raised off the bed, momentarily scared.

“We-wait, where am I?… ugh!…” the young man's questions were Interrupted by a pain in the background of his mind. Like pointed, the pain threw memories in his mind. “Ugh! What are these memories?... I don't remember anything about it…” 

The tsunami of memories wasn't events he had witnessed, it was actually the memory of another person with his same name

‘Can it be transmigration?...’ He wondered, intrigued.

Ethan didn't used to read or like transmigration content, but he knew about the existence of many books of this theme, which was very known in his previous world. Usually, in these stories, somebody was pulled to another world, in another body, then would have adventures and superpowers there. Indeed it was a good narrative.

The young man thought that if it was the case, he was going to take it! 

At this moment, knocks on the humble door in front of him was heard.

Sigh… Ethan, it's the last time that i'm calling you, the time is passing. Get your ass out of this bed and wake up!”

‘Is this the grandfather of this body?...’

“I'm going, grandpa, wait a sec!” he replied. Ethan's new voice seemed very young for his original age, but there wasn't time to think about it. 

“Oh, god, finally this vagabond woke up!” the grandfather mocked. “Hurry up!”

There were not many things in that room. Actually, it was so rustic and poor, that even the clothes were nailed to the wall; and based on that, the whole house should be very humble.

‘I have to wear some clothes.’

Followed by these thoughts, Ethan got off the bed, and although his head was still throbbing, it was bearable.

Ethan's feets touched the subfloor slowly, then he walked towards the clothes hanging on the wall. Hadn't anything so extravagant. Actually, there were only rags probably passed down for generations, though it didn't annoy the young man. 

Looking at those clothes, Ethan sank into thoughts. 

The young man's life on Earth wasn't much different. 

Living by handouts and donativos, It wasn't unusual for him to wear these rags on a daily basis. His life on Earth wasn't easy, but in other words, he learned to survive in that world.

Without any ceremony, he put on the best clothes which there were: a white shirt with a few holes in it and blue pants. Nothing too extravagant or normal, just neutral. Then he went to the door and opened it.

The young man's surprised face was remarkable.

The house, majority made by boulders, was quite humble and tiny. In front of Ethan there was only a living room with a table and chairs, two opened windows, and a wood-burning stove at work. Nevertheless, Ethan observed the surroundings searching for his new grandfather, but didn't find him.

‘... haha! At least the air is good. ’ he thought, forgetting his troubles. ‘If the memories are right, the body's grandfather Is a little bit crazy, on the other hand, he's the unique family of this body… I respect it.’

At this moment, suddenly Ethan heard some steps outside the house, quickly he thought that was his new grandfather. 

“You really go to the recruitment wearing these clothes?” the grandfather asked him, emerging from behind the door with a bucket of milk. “Damn it, I can't let you. I've a tunic for you, but eat your breakfast first.” 

‘Yes, I heard tunic’ 

Ethan wondered what era it was really...

4