Chapter 3: One of us
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

03.06.3502, 19:30, in the equipment room of the AOs hideout located in Stean.

Mimicry stashed the assassins robes away, still disturbed by the scenes he saw earlier. Having seen his fair share of bloody scenes while accompanying other AOs for training, didn't prevent his mind from struggling to process what had just happened.

Ceasing his qualming, he locked the door behind him and looked up to see Blur leaning against the corridor's wall, one leg propped up. She had changed into a black and blue lab coat with numerous pockets.

“Seeing as you haven't requested to be put under a new mentor I assume you want answers from me now?” her voice carried an unusual seriousness. Mimicry nodded, looking at her, key in hand.

“Alright, but lets move to my quarters. This isn't the right place for this conversation” she remarked.

Mimicry handed her the key while they made their way to Blur's quarters. In one of the dimly lit corridors they passed Smoothtalker. Seeing that he was busy instructing his new apprentice they didn't bother him and walked by wordlessly.

Finally they reached their destination; the iron double door standing in front of Mimicry was adorned with a myriad of symbols, black and blue intertwining seemlessly into each other. Standing there in amazement he nearly failed to catch his master pressing her hand against the door.

Rumbling, the hinges groaned as the heavy door swung open, revealing a hall akin to a laboratory's storage. Huge shelves filled to the brim with materials stood everywhere. Mimicry, struggling to see in the lacking light, wasn't able to discern the materials.

“Get in, the door won't stay open forever” Blur commanded while entering the spacious room.

Hurrying, the apprentice scurried to his master's side. Again rumbling, as the door closed behind them. They made their way to another door, this one made of standard hard wood and with a simple keyhole. Blur opened the door and signaled for her student to enter.

Inside an average living room welcomed Mimicry, a blue carpet depicting a nine pointed star laid under the black sofa. Sitting down on a black leather recliner Blur signaled for him to sit down on the sofa.

Following her command, he made himself comfortable and scanned the room once more, noticing that curtains covered nearly the entirety of one side of the room.

“So what is it you want to know, my lacking student?” back to her usual tone, Blur's eyes still revealed an intent glare.

Picking up on this Mimicry hastily stated his most prominent question, “What was the goal of today's mission?” he blurted out as he nearly stumbled over his words.

Blur's eyes showed a hint of amusement at his mishap, reaching into one of her coat's pockets and promptly responding “Seeing as all of the missions you tagged along with me so far were merely for monetary gain, mostly stealing, your confusion isn't surprising. What we did today was for cleansing, simple as that". Finishing her sentence she procured a small metal container and placed it on her lap.

Mimicry didn't quite follow her reasoning and was left confused, “These people were ordinary humans though. Why would they need cleansing?”

Blur sighed at this inquiry, pinching the bridge of her nose and taking a deep breath. Then her eyes seemed to scan an invisible text, shortly after she looked back to her confused student, who was looking at her seeking closure. “The head chef, he's at fault.” she seethed. “He drugged guests and stole their valuables, his absurd greed corrupted the people around him as well.” Visibly reigning in her anger she elaborated, “The letters you saw listed the crimes committed by each of them.”

Understanding the bigger picture now, Mimicry gulped remembering how his master had massacred them back then. He had never seen her act that unhinged before and he hoped to never see her like that again.

Lost in thought he didn't notice his master opening the container in her lap. Suddenly blazing pain engulfed him and he saw blue rays of light gathering around him. His world was reduced to darkness.

Dim light fell on his face as he regained consciousness. “Damn, it hurts.” he cursed inwardly before forcing his eyes open. The curtains from earlier were shoved aside now, revealing a massive glass front, Blur standing before it, studying the bustling night market of Stean from above. Occasionally neon green flames leaked out of her tear glands, producing a crickling sound.

Noticing his awakening she turned around and stowed a shimmering phial away, “You're more whimsical than I thought, I didn't train you for three years just so you faint when exposed to a little sting.” she quipped.

Still irritated, Mimicry was quick to retort “Oh, cut me some slack”, he felt a weird sensation on his right thigh.

His master looked down at him in amusement, “Seems I judged you too hardly” she chuckled, another flash of neon green bathing her countenance in an ethereal glow.

Following her eyes, Mimicry noticed a shining symbol on his right thigh. It was emitting a faint blue radiance, a nine pointed star was plastered on his leg!

“You reached link might 7 after one mission, impressive.” Blur remarked sarcastically and imitated something akin to clapping, “Though I did keep you in the dark for most of it, so the gain should have been greatly amplified by that.”

Barely listening to his master, he reached for the glowing star in fascination, trying to touch it. But his fingers, instead of grabbing onto it, went right through the projection and grasped the rough fabric of his pants.

Confused, he looked at his master. She had sat back down into her recliner, crossing her rather long legs, a few motes of the earlier blaze lending her a mysterious air.

“It's embedded into your flesh, the shining is merely a display of your newly formed link with Terex.”

Hearing this he looked back at his thigh in awe. He had heard that the power of the Arcane Operatives stemmed from Terex. Another student had told him during training. At last, he was connected with this immense power himself!

The corners of his mouth creased into a smug smile, all the training during the past 3 years finally paid off. For once Blur didn't make fun of him, letting him have his moment.

Cherishing this accomplishment, Mimicry leaned back, thinking of how he had finally done it. He then mentally probed for his link and received a excruciating headache in return as a compendium of information regarding his freshly acquired power was violently shoved into his brain.

Multiple pain-filled minutes later the headache finally abated. Breathing out heavily, he used his fingers to massage his throbbing temples. The pain had been worth it, while he still lacked knowledge about abilities, he gleaned insights into the extent of his current power boost. His overall stamina and strength had improved moderately, additionally if he were to learn abilities in the future they would automatically match his current level.

Finishing the self-examination he looked for his master to find that she wasn’t in the room anymore. “Must have went to fetch something” he reasoned, not thinking much of it.

Stretching out his legs, he wondered what was taking her so long and he took out a stack of cards to calm his mind, with different shuffle routines.

After around five minutes he heard his master returning and stowed away his playthings. “That I just snatched your cards from you still bugs you huh?” her mirth obvious, she settled back into her recliner and elaborated on her unannounced leave. “I spoke with Smoothtalker and arranged for you to partake in the upcoming mission he had planned. Together with his new student, Trail, you will assist him, taking part in the mission in three days as full members of the organization.”

She handed him a hefty stack of paper, the mission details. Mimicry couldn't help but giggle as he caught it, “So this time I won't witness someone going primal on a fat headchef?” he jested.

Blur was quick to answer, “I can't guarantee that Smoothtalkers tactics will be more suitable for your ever so pure mind and spirit.” she remarked and swiftly got up. “I will teach you a few basic abilities over the next days, since your link has formed. After that we will officially no longer be student and master. But for today we are done you can scurry.”

Getting up as well Mimicry followed his master to the heavy double door marking the exit to the scientist's quarters.

On the way he was able to make out some items stored on the shelves and immediately regretted his curiosity. There were dozens of solid glass blocks housing bodies of dead creatures and even some humans, their faces trapped in a permanent show of distress.

He had heard rumors of his master's experiments, but seeing it with his own eyes still left a deep impression. Thankfully they reached the exit, before he could make out any more disturbing details and his soon no longer master opened the door, signaling for him to get moving.

He quickly departed the bizarre storage room and made his way towards his room.

The walk was uneventful, the corridors empty with no other operative in sight.

While preparing himself for bed the haunted faces of the glass encased were pushed up again by his turbulent thoughts and he shuddered.

Later, while trying to find sleep the eerie scenes prevented him from grasping his much needed rest, keeping him awake for a significant amount of time.

The thought of his master caring for and teaching him were the imperative to finally enable his fall into slumber. Taking on a peaceful expression, he felt nothing but gratefulness at his luck to find such a supportive master.

0