Chapter 9: Limited
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5.6.3502, 06:00, in the dinning room of the AO's hideout in Stean.

Having spent the majority of the last day bedridden, Mimicry was now eating breakfast together with Trail on his master's orders. She had mentioned that they needed to get to know each other better, if they wanted to successfully complete their mission tomorrow.

The pain in his chest now only a faint sting, he spread strawberry jam over his slice of white bread. He had gotten himself a glass of hot milk to compliment the jam. Taking a bite he saw Trail, still slightly pale, return with a full plate and a cup of tea.

“Your master seems to really enjoy teasing you.” she commented calmly, while taking a seat on one of the leather chairs opposite of him.

They were sitting around on the dinning room's hardwood tables that were intended to fit 4 people. But since it was so early the spacious room was practically deserted.

“I think it's her way of showing affection, don't tell her I said that though.” As he said that he noticed Trail looking at him somewhat astonished.

“Blur didn't teach you manners at all did she? You shouldn't talk while you are still chewing!”

Mimicry was startled by the scolding and hurriedly swallowed, nearly getting a breadcrumb stuck in his throat in the process. He nearly gagged and quickly took a large gulp of milk to wash it down. To his relief Trail didn't comment on this and just resumed her questioning.

“She really only taught you about fighting?” Her voice was tinged with obvious disbelief.

“I was also taught the academic basics, but my training was primarily focused on fighting yes.” As he explained himself he inspected her plate's contents, fried eggs with bacon, and lamented his lacking culinary skills.

The kitchen was always filled with all kinds of food, but to enjoy most of them basic cooking skills were needed. And so far Blur hadn't integrated cooking into his training regime, ignoring the one in the wild, but that lesson had been rather raw.

Trail, taking a sip of her aromatic tea, continued with her inquiry, making sure she knew everything relevant about her partner for the mission. “Waver and Dupe, your master truly wants to maximize your combat power. Have you tested your ability limits yet?”

“Not yet, but I would head to the training room and evaluate them after this. Also I’ve been wondering since our fight back then. What is your ability?”

“I’ll accompany you to the training room, and explain my ability along the way. By the way, I heard that your master gave Smoothtalker an earful for initiating the spar between us, without her approval.” She couldn't hide her mirth, the mental image of the tight up master of hers getting scolded was just too hilarious.

They quickly finished their meal and went to the training room. Not needing to change clothes, because they had already equipped their fighting gear.

While walking through the hideout towards their destination Trail began the explanation. “The one ability I currently wield is Trail; Bygone Path, in essence it allows me to watch the area that I have previously passed. However this has some limitations, during activation I can only see through my ability. Additionally it has a range and time limit, I can monitor the passed area up to 50 meters around me and I have to have passed it in the last 30 minutes. Most importantly I can use it for a maximum of 10 minutes, then my ability limit for Trail is reached, inducing hallucinations on continued use. But all of these numbers will increase once I advance, so substantial improvements can be expected. Even when I don't actively use it I can passively sense changes to my previously walked path, for example I can tell that no one is currently behind us.”

Mimicry ingesting the information formed a conjecture. “You were able to parry my attack without seeing it yesterday, but in reality you did see it by using your ability?”

“Yes, I activated it during my back roll.” She replied succinctly, adjusting the brass clasp, which held her cloak together.

Feeling satisfied that his reasoning proved correct, he still felt confused at his master's ability usage during their latest spar. But after contemplating for a few seconds he quickly understood that with his current available pool of information, he had no chance of deciphering his master's actions and so he put the topic to the back of his mind.

Walking towards one of the, with hip-high stone walls divided, areas of the room, they greeted Twin who was still on medical duty.

Every five days two members were picked by spinning a wheel and the unfortunate winners had to stay on medical duty in 6 hour-shifts, the first from 6 to 12 the second from 12 to 18 o’clock. From then on there was no one on duty, since normally the room wasn't used after that.

Mimicry turned to face Trail. “I will first use Dupe, until I feel the side-effect. You should stay some distance away from during that.” After seeing her simply walking towards one of the walls he continued to the middle of the sparring area and contemplated what he should replicate to get a better idea of the ability.

Having decided he outlined the corresponding symbol, which he had memorized while recovering and failed. “Of course! Would have been to easy for it to work just like that.”

Sighing he took a piece of paper out his pocket, unfolded it and launched another activation attempt, while looking at the symbol on it. This time he succeeded and his outline flickered, as he changed into his master.

The air around him began to visibly move and he could feel the heat touch against his or rather Blur's skin. An updraft was created and he felt his body becoming lighter, but in comparison to his master back then he didn't levitate.

Remembering the following actions he opted to cancel the ability early, since he was currently facing Trail and potentially knocking her out wasn't a desirable outcome.

Having witnessed the scene yesterday Trail had just started to hurriedly move out of Mimicry's line of sight when he turned back into himself. She inwardly criticized his first choice for action replica, as she stopped in her tracks and continued observing him.

Going through a variety of actions ranging from mundane daily tasks to powerful attacks, Mimicry slowly worked out the limits of Dupe. After around 5 minutes he suddenly stopped, looked towards the medical station and shouted, wearing a sly smile on his lips.

“Twin, how long have you been stuck here for first aid duty now?”

The middle-aged man threw him a questioning look over the top of the hip-high stone wall, which in addition to splitting the room also encapsulated the entire medical station.

Promptly understanding what had happened Mimicry explained himself succinctly. “Side-effect of an ability, sorry.”

Because there were many different side-effect and no-one, other than maybe Blur, knew every single one, Twin accepted the explanation and returned to his favorite method of killing time, playing cards against himself.

Having now reached the point at which ability usage became perilous Mimicry surmised the gathered information. Maximum duration of reenacted action was 5 seconds and strength was roughly equal to 80% of the original action, when the action was matched to his own level.

He had realized that when he copied his master, the effectiveness of the attacks was drastically lowered, approximately 25% of the original.

Throughout the tests he had realized that the reenacted actions had to be observed in the last 2 days, if it was longer the ability simply wouldn't activate.

Adding all the time he had it activated together, he concluded that using Dupe for more than 30 seconds a day would cause the side-effect. Blur had told him about the fact that ability usage limits perpetually resetted and that at his current level it took 24 hours for a full reset.

Since each ability had its own limit that gradually recovered, he tested Waver's restrictions next. He dashed around while speeding himself up with it for some time, before trying to levitate by pushing himself upwards, but he lacked the power to do so.

Going onto other tests he produced two daggers and made them hover around him, careful not to injure himself with the sharp blades in the process. Testing his range he sent them away from himself, but after less than a meter they fell to the ground, when his control and power dwindled due to the range restrictions of Waver.

After retrieving them he tested how far out he could stir the air and assessed the maximum range, 30 meters. Continuing the limit test he soon felt his control decline and distort, indicating that the limit for Waver had been reached.

Concluding his testing he deducted that the combat relevant range was 1 meter and that the side-effect was triggered after around 5 minutes of excessive use.

Having finished what he had planned to, he strolled over to the onlooking Trail to inform her about his findings. To his surprise she already figured most of the information out herself, just by analyzing from the side.

Suddenly while they were discussing possible tactics for their mission, Trail abruptly turned her head towards the entrance and a few seconds later a lab coat, black with the exception of a blue strip at the bottom, came into view.

The pale scientist wore a grey turtleneck under her coat and had swapped her usual leather half shoes for sturdy combat boots. This made Mimicry wonder if she was going on a trip, since she seldom changed her shoes.

Blur, hands in her pockets, gave them an approving look. “Seems you two are getting along perfectly.”

Hastily moving to the new arrival, Mimicry passed Trail to inform Blur about his findings. He was eager to learn if his conclusions were correct. His master calmly watched with an inexplicable expression, as he approached.

He swiftly recounted his findings and the methods used to attain them. Figuring that there must have been a few mistakes along the way, he expected a playful jab at his intellect, but his master's face didn't reveal a hit of mischief.

Instead she complimented the efficiency of his methods and then informed him that she would be going on a trip for a mission, because of which she wouldn't be returning for some time.

Before Mimicry could shake of his surprise at her untypical behavior and reply, she had already left, without another word. Leaving him baffled as he stood still, not knowing how to react.

“Must have wanted to end the student-master relationship abruptly, without a lengthy sad goodbye. That would certainly fit her image of being emotionally disconnected.” Trail, having witnessed the interaction, hypothesized.

Mimicry was slowly recovering from his stupor and barely registered her comment. That had been it, the end of his training under Blur, which had lasted more than 3 years, just like that.

He remembered all the challenges he had faced under her guidance. How badly he had struggled at the start and improved in miniscule steps, but in spite of that still managed to succeed in the end.

Seeing everything in retrospect he could barely remember his life, before meeting her. She had taken him in after the mansion, at which he was working as an apprentice butler, had burned down and provided him a purpose in the time he was feeling directionless.

Mimicry felt a lump form in his throat, as he remembered how his master had warmed up over the years. Initially icy and indifferent towards him, she had began to joke and smile in his presents. Even if he was the target of most her jests, he still felt his heart ache at the thought of going through his days without her teasing him about his mishaps.

His mourning was cut short, as Blur's voice suddenly rang out and startled him. “You may no longer be my student, but you're still a member of the Arcane Operatives. Are you not?” Despite her no longer being present, her words spread a calm, soothing warmth.

At this display of versatile ability use, Mimicry, despite his melancholy, couldn't stop his lips from curling into a grin.

0