Chapter 1 – Cadet & Servant
446 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As life left Seiji Otsuki, he had but one emotion: relief. No longer was he shackled to the Hidden Hand, forced to work as their assassin. No longer was he forced to watch as other seventeen-year-olds lived normal lives, waiting for the day he got his due. No longer was he forced to ponder that man’s haunting diagnosis. Seiji yearned for a way out, and now he’d been given one – by way of impalement.

 

“Speak your final words. We will deliver them to whomever you wish. You have our word.”

 

Though it may have been because it was the middle of the night, Seiji struggled to see the speaker. He wanted to look into the eye of whoever thought he was stupid enough to believe their word. Besides, there was no one in The Ardor he’d ever gotten close to. For that reason, he smiled as he decided upon his final words.

 

“Fate Has Decided.”

 

That simple phrase was the core philosophy of the Hidden Hand. It represented the absolute decree of fate, the certainty with which they operated. If someone was targeted by the Hidden Hand, their death was written into the tapestry of fate by the gods themselves. Execution by a Hidden Hand assassin wasn’t a clever business decision, it was the ‘will of the heavens’.

 

Wordlessly, his assailant dragged their blade from Seiji’s body. He fell to his knees, strength evaporating under the pain. He tried to look up, refusing to die without looking his killer in the eye. Unfortunately, however, the last thing Seiji Otsuki saw before his death was the dirt beneath his feet.

 

***

 

”I know it’s proper, it’s just… demeaning! I should be introduced to my Servant in a packed coliseum, not a dingy office! N-no offense, but, you know what I mean, right Sir Lasko?”

 

The shrill voice of a girl no older than Seiji himself woke him from… what exactly? Last he remembered, Seiji’d been killed in an ambush by his comrades. Now, he was blind and paralyzed in an unfamiliar location.

 

I suppose there is an afterlife.

 

That fact alone threw Seiji for a loop. If he wasn’t in the act of killing someone, he was training for it. Sure, he didn’t exactly have a choice – and he’d been killed the day he attempted to distance himself, but he didn’t think the intention to leave was enough to absolve him from a lifetime of sin.

 

“I understand your annoyance, Lady Cora,” spoke a new, older voice. “ If they do not know who you and your Servant are, show them during the Exam.”

 

Twice now, Seiji heard that word thrown around – ‘Servant’. Considering the young woman and the older-sounding man hadn’t referred to either of themselves as a Servant, and he hadn’t heard anyone else in the room…

 

Seiji swallowed his suspicions, waiting for more details to be revealed through their conversation. Rather than dwell on the unknown, he decided to shift his focus to what he could perceive.

 

Sights, sounds, smells. I can’t see anything, so I must be blindfolded. There are three people in this room, including myself. There isn't an echo. This must be a small room. Leather, wood, and paper are the strongest scents. This is an office. Perhaps I survived and now I’m in an Executor’s office?

 

“I suppose you’re right,” The girl continued, cutting off Seiji’s train of thought. “I simply need to deliver! Thank you, Sir Lasko.”

 

“It is quite alright.” The older man chuckled. “I had to give quite the same talk to Endora during her Exam, and you know how she used to be!”

 

The two laughed for a while before Seiji heard the sounds of heavy footsteps on creaking wood. He reflexively turned toward the source of the noise, bringing the laughter to an end.

 

“Ah, I see he has come to. I will allow you both to borrow my office for as long as you need, but please be aware of the System Ceremony.”

 

“Alright. Thanks, Sir Lasko.”

 

Wordlessly, the older man, Sir Lasko, exited the room. As the door closed, Seiji’s senses slammed back into him like a punch to the face, the bright lights of the densely packed office temporarily blinding him. He immediately reached for the blindfold he knew was there. but his hands were met only by skin.

 

How?

 

Seiji hobbled to his feet, the wooden floors beneath him creaking at the motion. When he looked up, Seiji did his best not to show the shock he felt. The girl before him wore a white jacket with gold accents with pants and boots to match. Far more bizarre, though, was the pair of cat ears on her head, the same pearlescent white as her short hair.

 

“Hello. My name is Cora Lambros. Princess of the Floating City of Haven.” The girl, Cora, extended a hand. Gathering himself, Seiji met it with his own.

 

So, I’m not on The Ardor. I suppose that's a relief.

 

“Hello. I am Seiji Otsuki of The Ardor.”

 

He wasn’t sure whether to include that he’d been part of the Hidden Hand. Normally, publicly admitting it would mean death, but now that he most likely was dead… Seiji still decided against it. If this newcomer was curious, he’d answer. Otherwise, he’d keep it to himself.

 

“I’m sure you have many questions, so I'll keep things brief. Your soul was retrieved by Sir Dorian Lasko of the Soul Division. Upon your death, he transferred your soul into the body you currently inhabit. It is an identical recreation of your previous one, created by the Einherjar Division.”

 

Seiji reflectively grabbed at his stomach, which only a few minutes before had been impaled. As he did, he examined himself, surprised to find himself clothed in a white and gold outfit identical to Cora’s. It was perfectly tailored to his form. He reached a hand to his back and felt the familiar white ponytail he’d spent years growing.

 

This was a lot to take in at once, he knew. Regardless, he’d always been adaptable – so he managed to gain a grasp on his situation quickly. After he died, his soul was retrieved and brought here. With that general understanding, there was only one question that remained unanswered.

 

“Why?”

 

As if on cue, Cora began.

 

“The Valkyrie Exam Committee selected you due to your exceptional physical and magical potential. You will be my Servant for the next thirty days, fighting alongside me as I attempt to advance from Valkyrie Cadet to Valkyrie. I will train you, clothe you, feed you, and shelter you. As long as you are my Servant, your needs will be met. Should you flag, you will be returned to your home, free to live whatever life you left behi–ack!

 

Seiji drove his forearm into the girl’s throat, pinning her to the wall before she could finish. He’d spent his entire life under the thumb of the Hidden Hand. Not once was he given the freedom to simply be. Now, in death, he had to do it again? With rage and acidity far beyond his years, Seiji spoke.

 

“I refuse to spend the rest of my life as your slave.” He snarled, his face mere inches from hers. “I have spent my whole–”

 

Cora ripped Seiji’s arm away and grabbed him by the collar. Before he could react, she spun and slammed him into the wall she’d just been pinned against, loud cracks of wood echoing at the impact. Pain stung Seiji’s back as he prepared his counterattack. Noticing this, the girl pinned his shoulders to the wall. Seiji used all of his strength to move her, but the girl wouldn't budge an inch.

 

How…? Why is she so strong?

 

Seiji wasn’t so foolish as to believe that women weren’t capable of wielding immense power. On the contrary, many of the most powerful fighters he’d ever met were women. No, the part that shocked Seiji was how strong Cora was. Fighting against her weight was like trying to push a mountain with his bare hands. As the futility of his actions settled, he stopped resisting – waiting for his opportunity to strike again.

 

”What is your–”

 

“Shut up!” Cora shouted, removing him from her grip to hold her ears in frustration. Seiji attempted to attack her exposed neck, but the attack was stopped with an effortless slap to his hand.

 

“I… ugh! Listen to me, Seiji. We need to work together. If you’re going to be like this, we can’t–”

 

“I am not your ally!” Seiji shouted. “Don’t talk to me as though our partnership is a given!”

 

“Look. I could’ve explained everything better. The Valkyrie Exam only lasts for thirty days. After that…” She trailed off, some sort of realization hitting her. “Ah! If we win the Valkyrie Exam, I’ll have Sir Lasko send you away! You’ll be free to go anywhere, and I’ll even throw in a generous stipend for your trouble. How about that?”

 

“What do you gain out of this deal?” Seiji asked immediately, doing his best to keep his expression stern. He would’ve preferred not to be her Servant at all, but if this was simply a job – one that ended with freedom and money…

 

“I get to become a Valkyrie,” Cora responded wistfully. “It’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

 

Though Seiji appeared to weigh her words, he’d already come to his conclusion. If he thought of this Valkyrie Exam as a thirty-day-long job and not indentured servitude, he’d be able to make peace with the reality of his situation. Besides, he didn’t have to kill anyone for his basic necessities here… he assumed.

 

“...Do I need to sign anything?”

 

“Nope! Well, sort of, but that’ll be handled in the System Ceremony.”

 

“I see.”

 

The two stood in awkward silence for a long while before Cora made the first move. She walked toward the door, motioning for Seiji to follow her.

 

“W-well, let’s get going...” She stammered.”We don’t want to be late.”

14