Chapter 33 – Boredom
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DAY ???

DAY ONE OF THE HELL PIT REVIVAL BOND EVENT

FOUR DAYS UNTIL EXTRACTION

The Hell Pit hadn’t changed from the first time they’d been there. Just like before, the very atmosphere was crimson red in all directions. Hot air buffeted them from all directions like hairdryers as they silently adjusted to the heat. Unlike the last time, however, they weren’t met by any demons. Instead, it was just the two of them at the foot of the bridge leading to the tower. On either side of them stood the familiar statues of humanoid goats wielding their familiar tridents.

There was another feature that was different than their last visit, though. In the distance, just beyond the tower standing a few meters above the structure was the familiar, many-eyed goat head of the Pit Demon. It stared directly at them, but didn’t make any move to attack.

ATTENTION COMBATANTS

THE PIT DEMON WILL AWAKE IN…

10:00

Seiji watched as the timer ticked down, wondering if Cora had gotten the same notification.

“Seiji,” She called. “We’ll clear out the tower, and then we’ll head for the Pit Demon. Ten minutes should be more than enough.”

He turned to her, tapping into his Dominion. The last time he’d been in the tower, he’d only been able to kill a handful of demons on a single floor. Now that the entire floor was open to him, he’d go all out. Seiji smiled as he imagined the possibilities. Before they’d entered the simulation, they’d asked the Royal Guard in charge of the Bond Event about the Tiers of the demons within the Tower, but the man hadn’t answered them. To Seiji, that meant that he’d have to fight as if any of these demons could kill him with ease.

“Don’t forget, we have hostages to rescue as well.”

Cora was doing her best to appear dignified, Seiji knew. They were being watched, after all. Even still, he could see her excitement in the way her ears perked up and her eyes sparkled. He cloaked himself in Dragon Fury and pointed at the tower before them.

“We’ll split the floors, take as many elixirs as we can find from the top floor, rescue the hostages, take them to the cave, then we’ll meet back up in front of the Pit Demon. That good?”

“You remembered my orders,” Cora smiled, coating herself in Dragon Fury. “Good.”

He’d just made that plan up. How had Endora described her? Arrogant Queen? It was something like that. Seiji rolled his eyes and kicked off.

 


 

The demons in the tower hit hard. While Seiji still wasn’t sure where to place their strength, they felt as powerful as Lirio had during the First Exhibition after he’d frozen up. They moved fast, too. Their lanky, thin bodies were ideal for wide, sweeping attacks that forced Seiji to dodge at odd angles. Even so, Seiji had just spent the last two days training with a Valkyrie and her Servant. However tough these demons were, they weren’t Endora and Akio. Seiji made short work of them.

Cora, Seiji learned, was in much the same boat. After confirming the hostages were in the same place, they’d begun to race through the tower, counting how many demons they’d kill. Cora’s Dominion wouldn’t let her lose, though Seiji couldn’t care either way. He just enjoyed going all out with someone who could match his bloodlu–... Dominion. He still got the two confused.

They reached the top of the tower with about five minutes to spare. Waiting for them was some ten-foot-tall goat creature that was probably the same one Selene and Lirio had decapitated during their first run here. Not to be outdone, Cora cleaved through it with Dragon Claw and cut it to pieces. Seiji decided to gather elixirs while she did it.

He managed to gather about twenty-five basic healing elixirs into a cloth sack he’d found in a nearby closet. After Cora finished mutilating the goat demon, she told Seiji to save them for the hostages, assuming that’s what they were meant to be used for in the first place. In truth, he’d wanted to use them in their fight against the Pit Demon, but Cora’s suggestion was better. As they made their way down to the secluded corridor, Cora made sure to remind him that she killed more demons than he did.

Thankfully, all of the hostages were alive this time. They were still wrapped in cloth sacks tied by belts, but none of them were dead. When they began to unwrap them, though, it took both of them visible effort to keep their Dominion active. They were featureless figures, more like Endora’s Aqua Silhouettes than real humans. The only physical features they had were large mouths centered on their faces. A few of the hostages coughed, and Seiji knew that Cora was right to save the elixirs. Everyone got one, regardless of their condition. When everyone was standing and healthy, one of them led them through another hidden passageway within the grotto leading directly to the cave they stayed in on their first run. Seiji wasn’t sure how to feel about that, but he ended up settling on gracious.

Once they were certain everyone was settled and safe, Seiji and Cora took the long way through the corridor and out of the tower to ensure the Pit Demon didn’t follow them. Seiji checked the timer as they approached the creature.

0:48….0:47…..

“We made good time,” Seiji called, rolling his shoulders.

“I’d expect no less.”

“I know Dominion changes you, but a little humility wouldn’t kill you.”

The Pit Demon rumbled as it focused its many eyes on them. In them, Seiji swore he saw recognition. That feeling was seemingly confirmed when the creature let out a ferocious roar.

0:35…..0:34…..

Cora turned to Seiji, her domineering facade cracking only slightly with a warm smile.

“We are an unbeatable team, so I expect only success.” She turned from him, pointing at the Pit Demon as a wicked smile tugged at her lips. “Now, let’s kill this beast, Servant.”

Seiji laughed. He knew she didn’t mean it as a joke, but it still sounded like one. “Sure thing, Valkyrie.”

“Queen, I thought I told you that.”

“If you’re Queen, then I’m King.”

“Those are acceptable… wait what?!”

They turned to one another, both of their Dominions completely gone. Seiji knew how he felt about Cora, but here? Now? This wasn’t the time or place to–

THE PIT DEMON’S AWAKENING IS IMMINENT

THE BEAST WILL FOLLOW YOUR SCENT

BE CAUTIOUS AND WARY

GOOD LUCK, COMBATANTS

Seiji never thought he’d be thankful to the Pit Demon for anything for any reason. He thanked it in his head. It wasn’t practical to confess during the Exam. How would that affect their training? If he did it after the Wing Ceremony, not only could he do it somewhere significant to them like the Grand Garden or their training hall, but they’d have time to just… be a couple for a little while before they head out with Endora and Akio. Seiji put a lot of thought into the when and where regarding his–

The Pit Demon let out a massive roar, immediately knocking both Seiji and Cora back into their battle stances. He tapped into his Dominion as he stared down the goat-headed, pot-bellied monstrosity. Its blood-red leathery skin glistened in the red atmosphere of the Hell Pit, giving the creature an almost metallic glow.

Seiji smiled as he imagined the many ways to kill the creature. This is what they trained for. What their lives together would look like after they become Valkyrie and Servant.

“I’ll get the vitals,” Seiji growled.

“And I’ll make him submit,” Cora shouted, Dragon Fury burning around her like an inferno.

Seiji joined her, coating himself in Dragon Fury as he kicked off.

 


 

Unlike the first time he attacked the Pit Demon, Seiji didn’t have any daggers with him. While he had seen a few in the tower again, Seiji recalled how they’d been sucked into the creature’s skin. Instead, he decided to focus on the areas he could reach without shooting himself into the air over and over.

He scratched at the Pit Demon’s heel with as many Dragon Claws as he could physically muster. Seiji cleaved and tore until he could see bone. The goal wasn’t to kill the Pit Demon but to force it into using its most powerful attack. Last time, that’d been possible after forcing the Demon to its knees and pelting it with attacks. While the creature was supposedly stronger, it was still the same being. If it worked before, it’ll work again.

As Seiji ripped through the Pit Demon’s heels, he could hear Cora going blow for blow with the creature. The Demon roared as it pelted her with an unrelenting flurry of earth-shattering fireballs, but she roared back and blasted it with boulder-sized Dragon Shots. Seiji couldn’t help but feel shafted. Once again, he’d been made to do the boring work. Seiji moved to the left heel once again as Cora cleaved through a meteor with Dragon Claw.

I need more action. This isn’t very–

The Pit Demon roared, leaning back in a gesture Seiji recognized immediately. This was what it did before it let out that paralyzing attack! He laughed, though it sounded wild even to his own ears. Finally, something good.

“Dragon Stance!” Cora shouted from the Pit Demon’s front.

Seiji saw Cora guarding herself through the archway of the Pit Demon’s legs and did the same. As he awaited the upcoming onslaught, Seiji considered the current trajectory of the fight. The last time they fought it, the Pit Demon only became threatening after it cast this attack for the first time. Hopefully, things were the same this go-round.

“Still.”

Seiji froze as the loud, guttural noise sounded from every direction. Only then did he realize that the voice came from the Pit Demon.

“Perish.”

A maelstrom of fireballs buffeted the earth from overhead, and both Seiji and Cora were helpless to do anything but guard. Seiji felt a spike of alarm as they descended, each of them almost 3 feet wide and just as tall. He roared as the fireballs descended on him, and wasn’t at all surprised to find Cora doing the same thing.

When the attack ended, Seiji could hardly stand. He looked around and saw only comets, fire, and smoke. Seiji winced. If the Pit Demon wasn’t going to kill him, then the smoke would. Seiji felt his Dominion spike at the thought. If this is what it took to truly kill him, that’d be more than fine. A fitting death for someone so powerful. However, Seiji’s goals didn’t end with the Pit Demon.

Maybe now this’ll get–

“Worthy!” Seiji turned to find Cora laughing like a madwoman. “Seiji! Is he not a worthy opponent for us to christen our new bond?”

Seiji sped to Cora’s side, though it wasn’t as fast as normal. When he reached her, he revealed two vials of simple red healing elixirs he’d pocketed from the hostages. She frowned slightly as she looked upon them, but accepted one nonetheless. Seiji downed his, stretching his arms as he looked into the Pit Demon’s many eyes.

“I’d expect no less,” Seiji smiled, wiping excess elixir from his lips. “I hope you don’t mind, but I want to fight it directly.”

“By all means,” Cora snorted. “Show me the extent of–”

“Fools. Blinded by Soul. Like wild dogs.” the Pit Demon thundered. “Remember this pain, children.”

Once again, they were both paralyzed, frozen in place by the Pit Demon’s unique ability. Unlike the last time, it hadn’t given any sort of indication that the attack was being primed. Seiji tried to activate his Dragon Stance, but he couldn’t.

The Pit Demon lifted its abnormally large right hand, tucking its middle finger into its thumb and aiming at Seiji. With a casual flick, the Demon shot a fist-sized boulder through Seiji. At the same time, it formed a fireball in its left hand the size of a boulder and threw it straight at Cora like a pitch.

“You are of man. You are nothing more than children attempting to fit in your parent's shoes. Return to your home with this lesson. True power is–”

“Big mistake, Demon,” Cora growled. “He popped his big attack twice. You know what that means?”

“Means he can’t heal.”

“Let’s end this quick.”

“Yeah,” Seiji said, throwing his Exam jacket to the side. “Looks like I owe him an impalement.”

He took off his white shirt, wrapping it around the wound. While he could ignore the wound for about a minute or two, he couldn’t ignore blood loss. Seiji & Cora had a fighting style suited for short battles that ended quickly due to their overwhelming force. They’d been training to perfect that style with Endora and Akio, and now they had the perfect opportunity to truly test the limits of their training.

“Come on,” Seiji called, turning to Cora.

Her ears were perked up and her jaw was slackened. She shook herself.

“I hate to disappoint you, but I only have one attack left in me.” She focused on the still-bleeding hole in his stomach. “...And if I only have one attack, then so do you.”

Seiji felt every ounce of Dominion leave his body. He’d been trying hard to shove the thought away, but those words solidified it… This was boring. The demons in the Tower were easy to kill, and all he had to do against the Pit Demon was slash its heels a bit. This wasn’t what he wanted.

The Pit Demon roared, but neither of them moved. Cora walked up to him slowly, placing a hand on Seiji’s bare chest. She gave him an almost crazed look.

“I feel the same way you do. This is pathetic. I would’ve preferred to train against Endora and Akio for the day! However, we need to remember there are more Bond Events than just this one. More places to display our superiority, more opponents to humiliate, more opportunities to assert our dominance.”

“And what if they’re just as disappointing as this one?”

Cora’s smile widened to an almost unnatural degree. “Then we fight to the death in our training hall for the next three days. Over and over, until the moment we are called to the Final Exhibition, where we decimate all who are cursed enough to stand before us!” She cackled, stepping away from Seiji to point furiously at the Pit Demon. “Now, let’s put this pathetic dog in its place! You wish to impale it, but I wish to eviscerate it. Come! Let’s put this mutt down with our Resonance!”

Seiji laughed as he turned to the Pit Demon, blazing his Dragon Fury. “I really do love intensity on you.”

“And I love those puppy dog eyes on you!” Cora said, still cackling. “Now go!”

At least she’s having fun.

Seiji kicked off. He hardly even needed his Dominion anymore. The fight was over. Cora sped to the back of the roaring Pit Demon, rocketing into the air propelled by a Dragon Burst. Seiji gathered Dragon Shots in his feet and shot up toward the Pit Demon’s torso. Though he couldn’t see it with his view of her obscured by the Pit Demon’s pot belly, they’d practiced the move enough to know that Cora was speeding toward it through the air like a comet with her Dragon Fire.

“Gather!” Cora shouted.

Seiji gathered a Dragon Shot into his right hand with every remaining drop of aura in his body. Just like in his fight with Cora, the bomb grew exceptionally large – about five feet wide and just as tall.

“Ready,” Seiji shouted weakly.

“Ready!” Cora responded with a much stronger voice.

“Foolish children!”

Seiji slammed the massive Dragon Shot into the Pit Demon’s stomach. At the same time, Cora slammed one into its back. Though this wasn’t part of the plan, Seiji felt a sliver of aura remaining in his body, and he was feeling a bit vengeful. He shot a palm of Dragon Fire into the Demon’s shoulder, leaving a tiny hole. Seiji snorted a weak laugh as the Pit Demon roared.

“Foolish… children! What have you–”

The Pit Demon exploded, coating Seiji and Cora both in black, tar-like blood. It filled the craters left behind by its meteor shower like pools, the sound of the explosion loud enough to completely shatter Seiji’s eardrums. Seiji fell to the obsidian ground with a crash, black blood kicking up with the impact.

Energy fully depleted, he could hardly stand. Ears shot, he could hardly hear. Even still, he managed to hear Cora’s insane cackling from somewhere in front of him. Beneath him? Seiji wasn’t sure how the perspective worked.

HELL PIT REVIVAL BOND EVENT COMPLETE

TIME: ONE DAY

HOSTAGES SAVED: 20

ALLIES LOST: 0

PIT DEMON STATUS: DEAD

GRADE: A+

PREPARE FOR DEBRIEFING

Yellow light filled his vision as he read the report. He didn’t feel anything. His Dominion didn’t approve of the simple battle, but Cora was happy. That had to account for something. And it did, Seiji thought. Seeing her happy was valuable in its own right. Regardless, he needed to kill something. Something powerful. If this was the most intense challenge Haven had to offer, Seiji thought he might start provoking Royal Guards or something.

“You… I… you two … passed…?” the Royal Guard fumbled.

Seiji ignored the golden armored man. He immediately turned to Cora, who was still in the Hell Pit for some reason. He leaned back into the couch and stared into the wooden ceiling of the shack.

“Of course we did. It was easy.” Seiji sighed. “And boring. Is there anything else available? I need a challenge.”

“Yes!” Cora shouted from beside him. “I demand more!” She shot up and walked toward the Guard, seizing him by his golden collar. “Tell me where the challenges are! What Bond Events–”

ADVANCEMENT COMPLETE.

<CURRENT ANALYSIS>

NAME: SEIJI OTSUKI

TIER 6 MAGE

HEALTH: 60

STRENGTH: 30

STAMINA: 30

MAGICAL STRENGTH: 65

MAGICAL STAMINA: 65

AVAILABLE SKILLS: DRAGON FURY, DRAGON CLAW, DRAGON SHOT, DRAGON STANCE, DRAGON FIRE, DRAGON BURST

“Are you fucking kidding me?!” Seiji shouted.

Cora turned to him. “I didn’t know you swore! You’ve been around me too much.” She laughed. “What happened?”

“I advanced!”

“That’s good, though. We need to catch–”

“No! Every advancement I’ve had so far came after a difficult mission or an emotional moment! This was… no! This doesn’t count! I didn’t earn this!”

“Then let’s earn it!” Cora looked away. “R-retroactively.”

Seiji frowned, pushing past Cora and gathering the stupified Royal Guard by the collar. “Tell me where the next Bond Event is! I need something good!”

“I… well… this was the…”

“Yeah!” Cora said, stepping to Seiji’s side. “If there’s nothing good, you can fight us in our training hall! We’re almost out of revival elixirs so we can’t kill each other, but I expect you to fight well!”

“Lady Cora… Servant Otsuki… you don’t understand…”

“Hurry up!” Seiji shouted.

“Tell us where to go!” Cora shouted.

The Royal Guard held his head.

0