Chapter 40 – Love Scale
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DAY 32

VALKYRIE FESTIVAL

The moment Seiji awoke, he told himself that he’d find time to spend with Cora. It’d been two days since they’d been with one another, and almost nine since they were alone together. He told himself that he’d confess as soon as the Valkyrie Exam ended. Now, the Exams were over and he could hardly find an opportunity to tell her how he felt. Hadn’t she said she’d wait for him to do it before their fight with Selene and Lirio?

Seiji stepped out of the dorm building and stopped dead in his tracks as he saw the person leaning on the wall by the entrance. Just like Seiji himself, the man wore white and gold Exam clothing.

“Congratulations on becoming a true Servant,” Lirio said.

“Likewise,” Seiji nodded, moving to lean on the wall beside him.

As they both stared into the golden cloudy skies of Haven, Seiji wondered what Lirio was thinking. Just like him, Lirio lived an unpleasant life before being whisked away to Haven. For a tense 24 hours, he likely thought he’d be sent right back.

“How do you feel?” Seiji decided to ask.

“Truthfully? I feel a bit patronized, though I suppose that’s quite foolish.” Lirio turned to Seiji with a face of pure conviction. “Regardless, I will earn my keep. You have my–”

“Save that for Cora, not me. We’re in the same boat,” Seiji laughed. “What’s next for you? I can only assume you’d been planning on a return trip home, but now we’re hitched. I can only imagine that’d screw with you a bit.”

“I am still adjusting,” Lirio admitted, turning away from Seiji to face the clouds. “I am aware of Akio’s position as king of his home planet. I had intended on doing the same for Tierroeste while I waited for Selene to return. I would still like to make Tierroeste a colony someday, though I suppose it will have to wait.”

“I don’t think so. Cora is a healer. Tell her what your plans are and she’ll work with you to save your home.” Seiji shrugged. “The hard part is getting there. I have no idea how to fly to planets, but if Endora could do it then so could we.”

For a while, they went back and forth about what they’d do if they went back to their respective homes. Seiji appreciated being able to talk with Seiji as an acquaintance and not a rival. Oddly, though, part of him did miss the tension between them. It reminded him of Cora and Selene’s relationship. Seiji had no idea what to call it. They could antagonize each other one moment then hug each other and joke the next. He couldn’t imagine being like that with Lirio, but he did enjoy the unspoken tension between them each time they’d lock eyes. Just as Seiji was about to make an antagonistic comment to spark it back up, Lirio changed the topic.

“I would like your opinion on something, Seiji.”

“What’s up?” Seiji asked, doing his best not to sound bitter.

“What was it like meeting the Royal Family? Not as a Servant, but as Cora’s lover? I met Selene’s family for the first time yesterday and felt as though I was out of my element. It was quite awkward, especially considering how emotional everyone was. Valkyrie Cora seemed quite overwhelmed by the hugs and attention Selene and her family gave.” Lirio sighed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen Selene cry that much.”

“You all met with Cora?!” Seiji shouted.

“Is that all you heard?” Lirio sighed.

“I’ve been trying to get a hold of her!”

“Don’t forget that Selene lived in the Royal Castle alongside Cora for the duration of the Valkyrie Exam. They have access to her that we do not. Besides, she is your girlfriend. You should be able to just… walk in.”

Seiji sighed. “She isn’t my girlfriend yet.”

Lirio turned to him a bit too slowly and gave him a puzzled look. He asked Seiji how he’d gone this long without confessing to his ‘obvious’ affection for her. When Seiji revealed that he’d told King Vassilis, Lirio laughed harder than Seiji thought was possible out of the man.

“In that case,” Lirio said, settling from his laughter. “Let’s shop for some clothes. You can’t confess to her in Exam clothing.”

***

The streets of Haven were the loudest Seiji had ever seen. Music blasted from all around him as crowds lined the wide streets. People Seiji had never seen before stopped to cheer for Seiji and Lirio as they waded through the sea of people. The ones who weren’t applauding for Seiji and Lirio were engaged either in conversation, eating, or drinking. Seiji found it funny that almost no one had any ‘Decorum’, but that didn’t seem to matter here. Everyone was jovial, enjoying the celebration as an excuse to be happy with one another.

This could never exist in The Ardor.

Seiji waved to the crowd as he approached Keres’ Clothes. Men and women cheered in response, many waving back and others shouting various congratulations. While he didn’t consider himself an emotional person, he couldn’t stop the sentiment from bubbling up and escaping from his lips. He bowed.

“Thank you for your hospitality, citizens of Haven. I am thankful for every single one of you. I love this city, and I swear from the bottom of my heart to protect it to my dying breath.”

The cheers from the crowd reached a crescendo as they continued to applaud him. He swiped at his eyes as he turned into Keres’ Clothes. Lirio waved to the crowd himself as he followed Seiji into the store.

 


 

Their trip in Keres’ Clothes was far longer than Seiji imagined it’d be. The store owner herself came out to greet him and Lirio, offering to give them free clothes with the promise that they wear the outfits they’re given to the ‘Valkyrie Dinner’. While he and Lirio had both accepted, Seiji felt his heart sink as she spoke about the Valkyrie Dinner. As the name suggested, the Valkyrie Dinner was a formal dinner between the newest Valkyrie and Servant with a group of older Valkyries and Servants. All Seiji could think, though, was that he needed to wait even longer to spend time with Cora.

By the time they left Keres’ Clothes, it’d been midday. The crowds weren’t as thick, but the streets were still packed with people. Lirio suggested visiting a food vendor, but Seiji insisted on putting his clothes down and searching for Cora. He would like to try the food vendors, but he’d make do with–

“Otsuki~! Is that you?”

Seiji turned to find Thea struggling to walk as two burly-looking butlers supported her. She handed one of them her drink, a short glass of red liquid with a small umbrella poking out, and stumbled over to Seiji. She wrapped him in a tight hug before he could object. Thea shook him as she spoke.

“I’m so… happy for you, little brother! But… I’m also sad! I can’t… squat in your room anymore!”

“Squat?” One of the butlers asked. “Is that why you’ve been taking overly long breaks?”

“Yeah,” The one carrying her drink responded. “Seiji’s room was this year’s hangout spot. Thea always finds the good ones.”

“You made my room a hangout spot?” Seiji asked, incredulous.

“Shhh! We’re butlers! We can clean!” Thea said, pulling back to observe Seiji. She looked him up and down and began to cry. “I enjoyed spending time with you so much, little brother. Talking shit with you after a long day of work was the best thing ever!” She wept, pulling Seiji into another hug. “I’m gonna miss you! Don’t forget about me when you’re in the castle, okay?”

Before Seiji could ask, the butlers explained to him where he’d be staying after the Valkyrie Exam ended. According to them, Servants had their own room within the Royal Castle that was about the same size as the one from the Hell Pit. As much as he relished the thought, Seiji couldn’t help but consider Thea. She… was like a sister to him. He recalled the day he unlocked his Veil Aspect, the pure rage he felt at the thought of someone harming Thea. Seiji knew this wasn’t the end of their relationship. She was part of the family.

“If that’s the case,” Seiji said, pulling Thea away to look her in the eye. “I’ll have you as my personal attendant… or something.” He smiled. “At the very least, I’ll keep ordering two of every meal.”

Thea looked like she’d just been handed a million dollars. She wept into his shoulder.

“I love you, little brother! I love you so much!”

“I… uh…”

“Okay, I love Endora the most!” Thea said through her tears. “But that’s because I still have a crush on her in like, a fangirl kinda way. Then… there’s Akio. He’s number two because he doesn’t make fun of me! I kinda wish he was dead so I’d have a chance with Endora though, but I also don’t want him to die because he’s one of my best friends!” Thea sniffed. “You’re like… a solid three on the love scale!”

“Love you too, Thea.” Seiji sighed, patting her on the back like a Tauran.

“Oh yeah!” Thea shouted. She separated from Seiji and seized Lirio by the shoulders. “Selene has an older sister, right? I saw her yesterday. Does she need help with anything?”

“I… well,” Lirio stammered, shooting Seiji with a pleading look. Seiji shrugged. “She was… well attended. Thank you, though.”

“Are you sure?” Thea said, still crying. “She was kinda hot!”

“Alright, let’s get you back to base.” The butler carrying her drink said. “Seiji, a courier was meant to have you sized for an outfit to wear to the Valkyrie Dinner, but since you’ve already been I’ll have them forego that meeting. A carriage will come for you in four hours, so do well to be ready by then.”

Seiji felt so happy he thought he’d start crying with Thea.

“Thank you!”

0