11 – Across a bridge, looking to the East
70 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, he heard Ylinat tapping on the window of their room at the ground floor. The night had grown chilly, the wind flowing down from the cold mountains under whose foothills and forests the Inn was situated. He had been woken up early, and after a breakfast in their room, he sat beside the window, reading a book of maps.

He opened the window to see Ylinat in a little frazzled state, his fur little wet, and unkempt with marks of mud.

I hope mother won’t throw a fit at your appearance. What happened?

I have been chased around by the housekeepers. They think I’m a stray cat!

What have you found since yesterday night?

Evidence. The forests are astir with the influence of the other side.

You told me that all forests are that way.

I did say that, yes. But, such things are fleeting. The smells seem to be greater than the normal.

What do you mean?

Things that come from the Other side. This world bleeds into the next sometimes and a large host of the creatures enter. A “barrier” is formed. In general, it is most innocuous. Echoes of things of the past wander, aimless and distraught in the forests. Humans go and kill them. Methinks the human Prince leads his army towards such a place.

That is … dangerous?

Not really. Ylinat sat on his haunches, and licked his paw. For a long time, it was, but then the Elves taught magic to the humans. A long tale short, for I too lack many details, humans fought back and gained their lands. It is a point of pride for these foolish human lords to fight against the supernatural - because they think it is easy, for the last great battles were fought five-six hundred years ago, and the battles that matter thousands of years ago.

And you think this time is not going to be so easy.

The smell is strong. Something is happening. We must find out more. Perhaps we are under watch - perhaps it is not as aimless as others.

“Kuro!” Shizue’s voice came from behind the wall. “Come on, we have to leave if we are to reach the Castle tomorrow morning.”

“Yes, mother.”

And he gave a nod to Ylinat to follow him.


When the journey began, he saw the countryside lose the powdered snow on the hills, the trees change to broad canopies and brown and golden branches, leaves falling in the wind, and the land become plainer, winding along on the banks of a mountain river losing its foaming fury every new mile. The roads were well maintained and they crossed auburn fields of autumn, farmers working ahead of rushing winter winds.

Every two hours they stopped. The horses were changed, and the two women took a stroll. Even he stretched out his legs on the seat. Shizue received letters at the Post Stations, and would hurry down into the office to write one and then come back.

They had lunch at a beautiful town set beside a soft flowing brook, where the trees had turned completely golden, and the leaves fell as the wind blew in mournful melodies.

Shizue didn’t mention anything again about their private conversation to him. He found himself listening to every remark and every word that Narumi said. She told him of her adventures in the garden, about how she was almost stung by wasps, and how she helped a stray dog that had come into their home yelping with a broken bone. Apparently, Tawara-sensei knew how to tie a splint.

She was the sweetest. Very unlike the haughty and vapid kind of people that her “suitors” might be. Rich and vain and proud. Then, he realized he didn’t know how he knew what rich kids were like.


They reached a bridge after the third Post Station - a journey of seven hours, including the stops and refreshments. The river they were crossing was different than the one they had followed. A smaller one, swirling in small whirlpools, rushing over rocks, crashing with a gush. The foaming water took a turn around thick woods growing on its steep bank, and Kuro thought it went on to join the brimming river a few miles on.

A lot of traffic had lined up over a stone bridge that spanned across it. Three roads met both sides of the river. Carts and carriages had lined up. Soldiers, with shiny helmets and whistles, were directing people, animals, and everything in between across it neatly in two passing lanes. Another group of soldiers were inspecting all the carriages waiting to cross.

Shizue gave a big, long exasperated sigh. “Welcome to civilization,” she said.

A soldier knocked on the door at Kuro’s side.

“Passes?” he demanded.

“Hand this over, Kuro,” Shizue handed him a pass - a paper of exquisite quality with a tassel of golden threads. On it was an embossed emblem in gold of a stylized maple leaf over a simple arched bridge, and the character of the sky under it.

The soldier took it, inspected it, and stared at Kuro and his unshaven rough cheeks. And then he walked away.

“He’s gone,” Kuro told Shizue.

“How long will this take now?” Narumi whined.

But almost as soon as she said it, a loud shout reached their ears. “You fool! That is the Viscountess of Nishi-hisaka! Out of my way!”

The sound of hurried steps, boots crunching over gravel and dirt, approached them. Before Kuro could turn around and look, he saw someone peeking around the window of his mother’s side.

“Viscountess!” the figure bowed. The two people folling him bowed too; their official looking padded jackets with stiff shoulders had a layer of dust.

“Is that Captain Hiramura? Well met!” Shizue feigned a bit of surprise.

“Hello Captain,” Narumi waved from the middle seat.

“My lady Narumi! And the Viscountess! We were worried. You rode off without warning! And the Duke was … rather perplexed.”

“I understand his concerns, and thank him for it. But, it was a necessary and important issue. What is the delay, anyway?”

But, his eyes had drifted past her and to Kuro. “Oh the blessed emperor! Is that…”

“Privacy,” Shizue said. “I urge a little discretion in our family matters, Captain. Shall I hope to meet with you in the castle soon?”

“It is unlikely. Most of the officers are trying to organize our grounds for the Prince’s … enormous host. For some reason, the Prince rides in the rear guard, and …won’t come by till at least day after tomorrow. Such are the pain of logistics, as you may very well understand, my lady.”

“Good that we came so quickly, then. What is with this delay, Captain?”

“Commands from the top, Viscountess. For the prince’s security. The Ashen Rangers are in action, in the south.”

“Oh. Is it dangerous?”

“The road might not open tonight. Stay at the Rill End Inn, my lady. I am very certain they already will have a room booked for a family of your eminence.”

“Thank you so much, Captain Hiramura,” said Shizue. “I will give your love to your beautiful wife, for I shall meet her sooner than you, it seems!”

“Fare you well, Viscountess, Lady Narumi! And uhh… Lord. Umm. Yes, privacy. My lips are sealed.”

At last the carts started rolling in front of them, and their carriage was crossing the great arch of the stone bridge.

“Now nii-san will be news in the Castle,” Narumi said.

“Was bound to happen,” Shizue said. “I just hope he forgot Kuro’s name. At least we found an inn. This rush is crazy…”

“Fair warning, nii-san,” Narumi said. “When a man says ‘my lips are sealed’ they will be the first to spread the rumours.”

“Rumours will spread,” Shizue said. “Whether from the captain or the inn that we are about to stay in. That’s what the Empire brings - rumours and plots.”


He could see the flat grounds of Hisaka in front of him. As the sun set behind him, the long road ahead was illuminated by the golden red light. He saw camps upon camps, sometimes in crooked lines, sometimes set in a rigorous formations. They stretched to a set of stone walls in the distance. The road curved south and east, till in the distance above the line of trees, he saw a tall, broad white tower, and four thin ones, with slanting roof that curved till it became flat at the edges. Little windows set in it were dark dots shaded in the light of the sunset. There were flags on it.

“Does the castle have purple flags flying on top of its towers?” he asked.

“Yeah, most of the time,” Shizue said. “It’s the colour of the house, so they will fly it now for sure. Is that something … you remembered?”

“No, I saw it. Look, the castle! There in the distance!”

Narumi leaned across him to look out of the window. “Where?”

“That white thing,” he pointed, his arms outstretched. “With the purple flags in the sunlight.”

“Where?” she repeated.

Even Shizue leaned over, her neck resting very closely to Kuro’s cheeks. “I can’t see anything.”

“That white thing! Just above the tree line!”

“That’s a blob, nii-chan,” Narumi said.

“Am I losing my eyesight in my thirties?” Shizue said. “It must be your imagination, Kuro. Is a memory coming back?”

He turned to see it after they had gone back to their seats. Was he really imagining things? No. There it was. Purple flag streaming in the wind. But, then, he felt like he was seeing it through a binocular. He couldn’t explain that to them, however he tried in his head. So, he let it be.


Soon, they entered the wall and the sight was lost to him. He was lost in his thoughts, when Ylinat startled everyone by suddenly getting up, his claws out, and his tail tall and his hackles raised. Every bit of fur on his body was standing up.

Mimi jumped at this into Shizue’s lap. “Kurocchi!” Narumi cried out.

“What’s happening?” Kuro said, stretching a tentative hand towards him. “Calm down, now. What’s happening?”

Mischief, said the cat. I smell demons.

0