Chapter 4: Controversial
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Estovia looked over his report, a bemused expression on her face. ‘Well you certainly did get a lot of different perspectives,’ she finally said, setting it down and folding her hands under her chin. ‘And you do seem to have quite the extensive knowledge base about gods. I suppose you can use this as credit for your class, but I'm a little concerned by your conclusions. I know gods can have complicated relationships with humans, and it can be difficult to live side by side, but I have to disagree that one could potentially achieve god-like powers. It’s a bit, well it’s hubris,’ there that word was again, couldn’t adults understand that the gods shouldn’t be the gatekeepers of supernatural abilities, that humans should have access to the same magic the gods employed, there was no good reason to be excluded from it. And there was no confirmation that the gods would even care.

 

‘I really think you should talk with your parents about your plans to research it more outside of school. I'm glad you’re looking into an extra-curricular research project, but I think there are a lot of other options that might be less, well less controversial. I’m worried this will be poorly received, and I don’t want to see you either ostracized or disheartened.’ Well, that was unexpected, given Estovia’s remedial lesson plan he hadn’t expected her to treat him with such sincere respect. This was a welcome change, he was finally being taken seriously, even if the other opinion was one different from his own. ‘Thank you for your feedback. I will take it into serious consideration,’ he replied, doing his best to offer her the same respect she had shown him. Though he wouldn’t change his mind. He had found his calling. 

 

He debated sharing his plans with his parents, but ultimately decided against it. He didn’t want to worry them, and they were so intensely devout. His research frequently took him to the library, in Darstu’s territory, who had taken to checking in on him, trying to engage him in troublesomely long conversations. He tried his best to gently abstain, but Darstu was rather oblivious to his annoyance. 

 

Unlike his teacher had predicted, Elske was still invested in his research years later, other projects had come and gone, but his interest in achieving godly power had not. His research still hadn’t been particularly successful, though he had found some older texts deep in the library speculating on the sources of gods’ power. One particularly intriguing hypothesis was that ghosts fed a god’s ability, as the souls of their followers empowered them by absorption and consumption. That would mean that magic was simply a manipulation of beings’ souls, a prospect that while compelling was rather abhorrent to Elske. The idea that gods were able to take advantage of humans even after their death, and that if he wanted to compete with them he would have to do the same was repulsive to him. He resolved to table the idea, unwilling to concede it just yet. In order to test it he would have to be able to observe souls themselves in the presence of a god, and see the god’s effect on a soul. As pure souls not known to linger in the mortal world, the more resentful ghosts might be acceptable proxies. He, however, did not know many human ghosts, and it seemed a rather rude and dangerous thing to ask of a being. Perhaps he could approach the god first, and observe if it came into contact with a ghost naturally. Consumption would still not tell him whether or not the ghost was powering the god, but it would be a good starting off point. He resolved to set out in search of gods. 

 

‘No, absolutely not.’ Enyes and Uso were united. ‘You are too young, seventeen is far too early to set out on your own, let alone to leave the city,’ Enyes said, shaking her head vigorously in denial of his notice. He had informed them of his intentions and they had immediately rejected the idea. ‘I’m not too young, my teacher Estovia immigrated here when she was sixteen, and elder Fierk was elected to the council at eighteen. I'm at a very reasonable age to start my own life,’ he said stubbornly. This response was not unexpected, but he had rather hoped for something a little more supportive. Enyes and Uso had both been born and raised in the city and were perfectly happy with their lives, the idea that someone would want to leave was inconceivable to them, after all, those leaving were few and far between, there was a far higher number of immigrants coming into the city, though even that was a small number. 

 

‘I’m going,’ he said, trying to make his voice more firm but still gentle, ‘and I really want your support.’ Uso sighed, as the more responsible and less absent minded mother she was often tasked with the discipline in the family, and her approval was the most key in getting the go ahead. ‘Alright, we will support you. But you must be very regular in your correspondence, or Enyes and I will come after you,’ she said, teary eyed. Elske smiled, hugging both his mothers in his arms easily. He had rapidly shot up in height around twelve, making him taller than most of the others in his classes, something he had been intensely pleased with, as it was another tick in a rapidly approaching adulthood and his ever present goal of being taken seriously. Of course it had been a little after that being taken seriously had transitioned from an issue of age to an issue of interest, but he wouldn’t give up on researching the abilities of gods that easily. He could admit to himself at least, that his motivation was just a pinch of spite from what Fierk had said all those years ago. But he would never admit it to anyone else, even Oore. 

 

Breaking the news to his little brother was hard for a whole different set of reasons. Oore had always looked up to him, idolizing his older brother even when their interests differed so significantly. Though he was of the opinion that they must be important if Elske was studying them. That and Elske had sort of lied just a little, twisted the truth, really, saying that he was looking into gods’ abilities, conveniently leaving out the aspect of his work that speculated on the possibility of humans attaining those abilities. His brother was still religious, and despite the parroting of Elske in their youth, a habit Elske had broken himself of eventually, unwilling to cause a rift in the family, Oore had grown into a rather devout person. Hubris would be a bit much for him. ‘I’ll miss you,’ Oore said, arms tight around his older brother. ‘You won’t forget about me, right? You’ll write and tell me all about where you go? And maybe I could come visit you?’ He added hopefully. Oore was a bit of a homebody, but his love for his brother apparently trumped his preference for the comforts of their city. Elske smiled, not taking his last request too seriously, ‘of course I’ll miss you, I’ll write so much you practically won’t know I’m gone, it’ll be like I’m here talking to you just like now.’ Oore looked up at him, searching for the truth in Elske’s gaze. Apparently finding what he was looking for, he smiled a watery smile back.

0