CHAPTER TWO – ENIGMA
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thursday. May 14th. 

Jules couldn’t fit us in at the same time for our first day. Someone called off, Jules reached out to me first to fill her spot. The entire week, Willow and I did DoorDash around Ypsilanti and Belleville. We made around a hundred and fifty dollars in total because we kept stopping for food and ending the dash early. Once Thursday came, I was nervous for the first time. I got lucky with the Ypsilanti location, the girls there were catty but not annoying. We minded our business and made our own buck. Any beef had was squashed within the next week. Tension was alway drowned out by the money and attention.

That is a rarity, according to Lilith. She said she molded this club for five years to be the perfect environment. No drama allowed, it’s going to be talked out rather you like it or not. We were a team up on stage, that’s how it should be. She made sure we felt like family.

I just have a bad feeling about Inkster.

The room is full of naked girls scattered around trying to get ready. Some come in sweaty and exhausted, others leave with energy looking bad as fuck. I step in with my chin up and my bag over my shoulder. I’m wearing a mesh top over a purple bikini, baggy jeans cover the bottoms. A few girls notice me, but no one stops to talk. I don’t recognize anyone, I was hoping to know at least one person. 

I find an open locker in the corner. There’s a mirror inside someone must’ve left behind. I’m trying not to show how nervous I am, but I can see the worry on my own face. I try to smile to brush it away, but I still feel anxious. I should’ve smoked some weed before I got in the Lyft. 

“You new, girl?” A light-skinned alpha with dark hair to her knees comes up to me. Glitter coats her face, some on her small chest surrounding her white bikini. She’s curvy with the perfect amount of thickness. Her face is intimidating, hard, and perfect in every way. “The fuck?!” She jumps back upon seeing my eyes. The woman hunches over to laugh, “Girl, why are you wearing—”

“There not contacts.” I cut her off and face my body towards her. “Hi, I’m Ocean Gold. I’m from the Ypsi location.”

She settles her laughter. “Hennessey.” The woman makes a shit-eating grin as another girl comes up. “Shame your club got fucking scorched.”

I lower my shoulders. ‘Yeah, it does suck. But, I’m here.” 

“You are.” The other girl says. “I’m Lola.” Lola waves another girl to come. “What’s up with the contacts?”

“There not…” I hold back a sigh. “They’re tattoos.”

Hennessey’s face tightens. “Why the fuck would you do that?” 

“It was a risk I wanted to take.” I shrug slightly. 

“It looks kinda cool on you.” The girl that was called over says, but her face was tightening upon staring at me. 

“Thanks.” I put my stuff away. “I like it too.” 

“As long as you like it. Don’t scare the customer’s away, though.”

I tilt my head at Hennessey. “My clients love me. People come to see me from all over the state. I have my own day back in Ypsi.”

“Had.” Hennessey cocks her brow. “Jules don’t give out specific days.”

“I know that.” I blink. “The point remains. I’m not worried.”

Hennessey pops her shoulder and goes back to the mirror. Lola and the other girl watches her, turning back to me. Lola comes a bit closer to say, “Don’t worry about her. She’s just a mean girl.”

“I’m not.” I look at the other girl. “Ocean is my name.” 

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Kittie.” 

“Skye.” She pops her shoulder. “I think you’ll be just fine!” 

“I believe so too.” I smile. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” Kittie waves as she walks away. “It was nice meeting you, Ocean.” 

“You too.” They walk together towards Hennessey. With her, they laugh hard, forcibly trying not to look back. Hennessey stares at me in the mirror as she applies her lipstick. She shakes her head and continues laughing. “Fuck this.” I whisper to myself and snatch my bag. There’s a bathroom in here, I speed inside and lock the door. On my phone, I call Willow. 

“Hey, what’s up?”

“They’re fucking bitches, man!” I exhale. 

“What happened?” 

“A girl doesn’t like the way I look. Some were nice to me, then laughed with her when they walked away. I know they’re talking about me.” 

“Of course they are. Beat their asses.” 

“Willow… You know I can’t do that.”

“I’m not taking any crossed eyes, Vaya. I’ll whoop a whore’s weave out.” 

“I need this job, Willow.” 

“So do I! But don’t let people talk shit about you. You are above these bitches. You’re Ocean Gold.”

I stare into the mirror, leaning on the sink. “I’m just going to dance. Fuck them.” 

“What’s her name? I wanna know so I don’t fall into no traps.”

“Hennessey.” I shake my head. “This is going to be annoying.” 

“You’re stronger than a dumb broad.”

I look at the door. “I’m going back.” 

“Be strong, Vaya.” 

“I will. Love you.” I hang up and sigh. In the mirror, I do my makeup. Light, sparking eyelids with rosy lips, and contour to sunken my cheeks. The wig of choice today was faint purple with dark lowlights. My look is always mysterious to match my eyes. “You’re a bad bitch, Neveah.” I whisper, running my fingers through the strains. 

Outside, there’s more laughter. I aim for the door, keeping my sights straight. “Why did you say my name in there?” Hennessey tilts her head. She leans on the vanity, lights shining behind her. 

I blink, not much motion in my face. “What are you talking about?”

“You said my name in the bathroom.” She lifts her chin. “Why?”

I frown. “Why are you listening to my conversation?” 

She leaps off the vanity coming towards me. “Keep my fucking name out of your mouth!” Hennessey stops before me, nose nearly touching mine. 

My hand raises. “Get out of my space.” I say calmly, but I’m boiling inside. 

“You don’t like me in your face? I don’t like it when bitches talk shit!” She backs away, but not very far. “Over there cowarding in the bathroom. If you have something to say, say it to my face, bitch!” Her voice deepens as she grows louder. 

“I’m warning you, whore.” My voice deepens, it’s usually high and soft, but I let it growl at her. Her jaw drops, she’s about to talk, but I continue. “Don’t worry about what the fuck I say in fucking private conversations! It’s my business, not yours.”

“You called all of us a bitches, though.” Kittie says with a smile. “That’s not very nice. You should apologize.” 

I narrow my eyes. “No. You laughed at me because of my eyes. Tried to be all nice to me, you’re fake too.” I point at Hennessey. “I’m not going to get bullied by the mean girl. I’ve had this battle before.” 

She slaps my hand away. “Don’t point your finger at me!” 

“Don’t fucking touch me, bitch!” I jump at her.

Hennessey opens her arms. “Do something then, whore!” 

I grit my teeth. “I need this job. What I don’t need is y’all.” 

“Pssh, you need to fix your attitude, Ms. Gold.” Skye folds her arms. A crowd forms around us, murmuring with each other. “Coming in here like you’re better than us.” Kittie storms pass me, giving me a gross glare. 

I scoff. “You know what? I am better than you! I don’t judge people’s appearance no matter how strange they look.” 

“You don’t look strange, you look dumb.” Hennessey laughs. 

My hands ball into fists. “What, are we going to stand here and argue all day?” I roll my eyes. “I have money to make. I’m not dealing with your fucking foolishness.” I start walking towards the door. “Stay out of my fucking way.” I turn my back, which was my mistake. 

Hennessey goes for my wig, snatching it back. It’s glued on, so she takes me with her. I whip around and instantly grip her throat, my right leg swings to the back of her left knee. She tumbles, but doesn’t fall completely. Halfway back up, Hennessey tries to go for my neck, but I straight punch her in the nose. Hard. 

Now she’s on the ground, blood drips from her nostril. Lola goes to her aid, looking up to me in disgust. “What the fuck?”

“Are you kidding? She came at me first!” 

“You broke my fucking nose!” Hennessey cries. “What kind of cheap shot was that?” 

“What’s going on?” A male voice says. I whip around, Kittie is standing next to Jules at the doorway. “Hennessey? Are you okay?” 

“She punched me in the nose, Jules!” She cries. “

“Are you fucking serious?!” I shout. “You antagonized me and you’re gonna play victim?” 

“I’m the one bleeding!” 

“Enough!” Jules shouts. Darkness falls over his face as his eyes land on mine. “Get out, Ocean. Don’t fucking step foot on these grounds again.” 

“Are you kidding? She started it!”

“And I’m fucking ending it.” He points to the door. “Leave, now!” I gasp, he took the air out of my lungs. A few blinks and a tear falls down my cheek. 

“I… I’m sorry.” 

“I don’t care. Go.” I scan the silent lockeroom, only the music from downstairs fills the void. The girls are all staring at me with an evil eye. Some had their arms folded, others shook their heads. I choke on my tears, trying to hold them back. I grab my bag on the floor and leave the club all together. 

The Lyft drops me off at Willow’s apartment. When I get out, I finally start to sob. I had to hold it in all the way here, it was painful. One step at a time, I’m on the porch and through the door, but I can’t go upstairs. I can’t face Willow or anyone right now. The pain aches my body, I sit down on the step and bury my face in my arms. 

The door opens, I don’t look up. “Neveah?” Eloise, the sweet old lady, stands at her doorway with her purse. She just retired from teaching schoolchildren for thirty years and her husband passed away last year. “Are you okay?” 

 “No.” I sit up, wiping my face. “I lost my job.” 

“Oh, honey.” 

 I make a light chuckle. “That’s my sister’s name, remember?” 

She smiles warmly. “What happened?” 

“My club burned down, so I had to go to another location. Well, today, I got into a fight with one of the girls. She didn’t like the way I looked, nor did she like me venting to my friend about it.” I shake my head. “It’s whatever. I’ll just have to go somewhere else.” 

“Your club burned down? My gosh that’s terrible. You shouldn’t be fighting with these girls, Neveah.” 

“I know, but she yanked my wig. What was I supposed to do? Let her hurt me?”

“Of course not. She shouldn’t have done that. They fired you and not her?”

“They must have a loyalty there.” I gaze over. “No one stood up for me.” 

“I’m so sorry, Neveah. I know how much you love stripping.” 

“Dancing, Eloise. Erotic dancing.” 

She lifts her brows. “Call it what it is, dear.” 

My head shakes slowly. I stand up, “I’m just going to take a nap.” 

She stops me. “How’s your grandmother?”  

“She’s fine.” I look down. “Why?”

“I haven’t heard you talk about her in a while. Have you been keeping in touch?” 

I struggle to respond. “… Not really. Not since I started dancing.” 

“A lot can happen in eight months. You should call her. I know she misses you.” 

“Yeah…” I start to go upstairs. “I miss her, too. It was nice talking to you.” 

“Goodbye, Neveah.” Eloise leaves the apartment. I go inside and fall against the door. Willow isn’t here, I don’t hear her or her TV. I then realize her car isn’t in the driveway. Kunt is grooming himself on the couch, he meows when I come towards him. I scratch his head and fall on the cushion. My mouth blows a raspberry. 

I grab my phone and find my granny’s contact. The line rings and rings and rings, no answer. I try again, it does the same thing. I look at the screen with a frown. “The fuck?” I refuse to call Mom, so I opt for Axcelis’ number instead. My brother actually answers the phone. 

“Hey, Vaya. What’s up?” 

“Where’s Granny?”

“Oh… no one told you?” 

My heart sinks. “Told me what?”

“She’s in a nursing home.” 

I drop my jaw and sit up. “What? Why?”

“Granny isn’t doing so good, sis. Her dementia has gotten worse. Moms can’t take care of her anymore.” 

“The fuck do you mean she can’t? So she just gave up?”

“I think she’s better off there, honestly. She’s not in her right mind anymore. I’m glad she’s there.”

My jaw drops. “How can you say that? She’s our Grandmother! You can’t just sep—”

“Why don’t you go visit her, Vaya? She’s at Heaven Point off Grand Boulevard in Detroit. It’s right around the corner from us, Vaya.” 

I lower my eyes. “I… I don’t think she’ll want to see me.” 

“You’re her granddaughter. Of course she wants to see you.” 

“Okay.” I sigh. “I’ll go see her. Send me the address.” 

“Alright. How you doin’?”

I inhale. “I… don’t want to talk about it.” 

“That’s fine. We’ll talk later.” 

“Okay. Bye, Ax.” I hang up and stare at Kunt, rubbing his head. “Guess I’m going to see Grandma.” 

0