10. Fooling the Gods
212 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the vast darkness where light sources were distant stars, a cosmic spectacle unfolded—an ethereal arena of wagers made in divine energy, an epitome of celestial gambling.

 Beings of immense power and influence, fueled by their competitive spirits, were embroiled in a high-stakes bet, wagering their very essence.

The stakes were astronomical; it was not about the woman's life or death, but about the triumph of their wagers. 

The Bet Grid, an enigmatic and pulsating cloud of energies, bore the weight of their bets and aspirations. Its luminous hues danced and shifted, a reflection of the divine contest that raged amongst the celestial entities.

On one side stood those who had placed their bets on the woman's early demise. They had wagered a portion of their divine essence, their belief anchored in the fragility of human existence. Each ripple in the Bet Grid represented the collective hopes and gambles of this faction.

On the opposing side were one who placed bet of the woman's demise within a week. Their bets were manifestations of their understanding in emotions human's have,yet not enough to win from their fate. Their divine energy coursed through the Bet Grid, intertwining in a dance of fervent conviction.

For three days, the Bet Grid had been a theater of anticipation, shimmering with fluctuating energies as the woman fought valiantly against her fate. 

With each passing moment, half of the celestial beings grew anxious, their bets teetering on the precipice of victory or defeat.

The woman's survival, defying their expectations, had led to a collective loss for those who had foreseen her early demise. 

The Bet Grid stood as a silent witness to the defeat, its luminance dimming and flickering as a tangible reflection of the outcome. Half of the cosmic entities found themselves drained, their divine energy absorbed by the victorious faction.

 Yet, in their ignorance, they remained oblivious to the fact that this energy would soon intertwine with someone else's journey—an unwitting contributor to a destiny that would seal their own demise.

Expressions of astonishment and contemplation emerged from the defeated entities, exchanged through the cosmic ether.

[Who would have thought she would survive?] murmured one being, their disbelief echoing through the celestial expanse.

[Here, I believed granting her early reincarnation was a certainty] confessed another, grappling with the unexpected turn of events.

[It's only a matter of time] chimed a third, seeking solace in the inevitable progression of her fate.

.....

Perched upon the elevated thrones, the twelve overseers observed the unfolding events with keen interest, their eyes fixed on the shimmering screen that reflected the display of their celestial strength.

[It seems, Zalthorak, you will soon emerge victorious in this Bet]

[It's rather amusing how the rest of you lost]

The twelve entities seated in opposition exchanged their thoughts, gathered in an informal round, with an air of power and dominion surrounding them. 

In this surreal dimension, the very world seemed to be their table, and they wielded their influence with freedom.

[Once the Bet concludes, her soul shall bear the weight of my loss]

[Vanishing is a small retribution. Reincarnate her, ensuring her memories remain intact, and weave a cruel fate into each life she lives]

[Accepted]

......

"Like, I will let that happen." A man with Obsidian eyes looked towards a woman who was trying to distance herself from his embrace as they woke up in the morning. Her face was red as she was held by the man.

"I... need to take a bath," she gathered her courage and spoke, her face still flushing. The man looked into her eyes, and only one thought came into his mind,'with that weak body of yours'. Despite the disease affecting her health, making her ribs slightly visible and reducing body fat, her face remained attractive, albeit pale.

"I will help you," the man said as he looked towards the woman, lifting her into a princess carry. She tried to resist slightly, but she knew he had no ill intentions. It was more saddening for her that he didn't see her in any other light.

Clasping her hands together, she looked at her fragile and bony body, feeling a sense of sorrow. The reality of how she must have appeared to him weighed heavily on her, making her heart ache. It was a painful realization of her own perception of herself.

As they reach Bathroom,the man gently placed her in the bathtub before calling the maids to assist her. Her face flushed red with embarrassment as she thought of how she must appear to them. She knew she was far from what society considered attractive.

"Help her and be careful; she is delicate and precious," the man ordered the maids, who promptly bowed and attended to her needs. He couldn't help but think about the fragility of her body and the wager he had made by saving her life. For him, it was the first step toward achieving his vengeance.

The words from the man were like a comforting balm to her insecurities. They enveloped her in a warm embrace, momentarily driving away her self-doubts.

 In that moment, his perception of her was all that mattered. It wasn't about societal standards or the judgment of others; it was about his perception, his acceptance, and his care.

......

'I see you've acquired the divine energy. Now, grant me what I requested,' the man voiced out to the empty room, and a black cat appeared with shining golden eyes resembling that of a predator.

Meoww~

'What's with that appearance?' the man asked, struggling to comprehend the purpose behind taking such a form.

[Human, I find this body pleasing, and I acquired it when I gathered enough divine energy. Here's your share.]

The cat explained, and as the man prepared to accept, the air around him began to ripple and distort, enveloping him in a swirling vortex of black fog. The fog crackled with a faint energy, causing the man to feel a tingling sensation as it seeped into him.

The fog carried a strange warmth, an ancient power that seemed to intertwine with his very being. 

In this mystical cocoon, his senses heightened, and he could perceive the surge of the newfound energy merging with his essence. 

It was as if the very fabric of his being was being rewritten.

Moments later, as the fog dissipated, he felt reborn, a sense of power coursing through his veins. Internally, he understood that he had gained the <Chaos Devouring Physique>.

......

"Anastasia!"

"Y-yes sir," Anastasia arrived gasping as she heard her boss call. She had been on edge for the past few days, noticing a change in her boss as he engaged in mysterious activities she couldn't quite comprehend, but she refrained from voicing her concerns.

"Prepare everything; we are going to participate in the <Kairo Auction>," her boss declared, leaving Anastasia even more bewildered. The <Kairo Auction> mainly auctioned Cultivation materials like Elixirs, Poisons, and pills, primarily suited for cultivators with internal energy. She struggled to understand why he needed to attend this auction. If he required something, he could simply order the pills and elixirs suitable for mortals that wouldn't harm their bodies.

"You are again not listening, Anastasia. Do you really need some rest?" her boss's voice pulled her back from her thoughts.

"No, of course not, sir. We will depart right now as it starts in an hour," she informed without delay. She heard words that slightly surprised and shocked her, and she looked towards a smile that she had never seen on her boss's face. "As expected from my Anastasia," he complimented, catching her off guard. Despite her professionalism, it brought a small sense of joy to be praised by her boss.

[Human, you are really something],the cat's voice sounded in his mind.

'I just praised her,' the man ignored the cat's voice, trying to hide its presence in front of his secretary. He was still bewildered by how much divine energy it must have consumed to get a spiritual beast body. From the memories he had absorbed, spirit beasts were exceptionally rare.

Unaware that the cat's body was one of the strongest spirit beast bodies, achieved by investing its own divine energy into the bet, yielding huge returns that allowed her to obtain a body that consumed a hundred times more divine energy than he had to obtain his physique, and still left enough to heal the woman ten times and yet it had already invested more than this time in the next bet, only if the cat would reveal that fact.

The man made his way out, instructing Anastasia to arrange for maids to take care of Lisia and also summon all the doctors in the hospital with their necessary equipment. 

He couldn't afford to take any risks now that he had come so far.

2