Chapter 1.Shim Sooyoung(l)
46 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I was younger,I used to question why my siblings and I had taken on my Mother’s family name instead of that of my father.

Shim Sooyoung (심수영)

The only explanation I ever received from my Father was that our Mothers family was stronger than his.

Lee Hakun (이학훈)

In the brief 14 years I had known my dear father,I had never once even caught a glimpse or a whisper of my grandparents.

An ordinary but acceptably handsome face,common black hair and eyes.

If you were to place Lee Hakun in a crowd,trying to spot him was like finding a singular specific leaf in a bush.

There was nothing particularly memorable about my father,nothing about his appearance that would leave a lasting impression on you.

Fortunately for him,something I can’t identify about him caught the fancy of my mystically beautiful mother.

Shim Suryeong (심수련)

An enchanting woman,with fierce grey eyes like steel and long smooth hair like threads of silk.

She was someone with a meek and warm personality,but her villainess aura often led to misunderstandings that my father was bullied into their marriage.

A generally harmonious couple and a decent pair of parents.

Two older brothers and a twin sister.

Our finances were stable and we lived our lives free of anxiety.

An ideal family that didn’t last long.

On the day the Cataclysm arrived in full swing to Korea,my parents disappeared without a trace.

No signs of forced entry and no signs of struggle.

We had all returned from the park to an empty house.

From that day forth, we were left with no choice but to depend on each other.

None of us were quick to spend,so it was possible to survive on what was left behind.

There was no drama with relatives scrambling to snatch what was left because we had no relatives.

When my oldest brother was announced as one of the first S-Class Hunters in Korea,he shielded us from the reporters and harassment.

He slowly gained a reputation for being ruthless on the inside.To drive reporters away,he would often resort to petty violence.

Crushing their cameras,flicking a stone at their hands and legs with enough strength to crack bones.

All with a relaxed smile on his face,feigning ignorance.

Shim Jaehyuk (심재혁)

The man who once again tipped the scales of balance by enlisting himself into the Hunter Association.

His decision surprised the whole nation.

Notorious for his naturally provoking and often sly attitude,there was a public concensus that Shim Jaehyuk would create his own Guild.

Shim Jaehyuk inherited both of the desirable aspects of both our parents.He displayed himself as a significantly more polished version of my father with the irresistible charm of my mother.

Needless to say,he had the qualities and arrogance to support the speculation of the Public.

The course of action he took baffled me as well.

“Oppa really went mad,did he eat something wrong?”

When Shim Jaehyuk had made his announcement on Live Televison,his beloved siblings were mocking him while in their pyjamas.

“Hyung must’ve hit his head on the stairs this morning.”

“I told him not to leave the window open,now he’s talking nonsense on television!”

“Check the fridge.Maybe he drank a bottle of Soju this morning.”

For a brief moment,coupled with my sibling’s teasing,the respect I had held for my brother was crushed into pieces.

In front of his family,my brother always behaved maturely and was generally well-mannered.

In the presence of friends and outsiders,his image changes into a careless prankster.

Perhaps I should have had more faith in my brother,he soon turned the table on all those that threatened him.

Underestimating how cunning Shim Jaehyuk is was ultimately the downfalls of the ‘Old Farts’ at the Hunter Association.

In a mere 2 years time,he had essentially staged a coup and taken over the Organisation.

By the time I had graduated from High School,he had the higher ups under his control like puppets on a string.

Just in time to lesson the burden on Lee Kiyoung,leaving only the Guilds to bother him.

There was a tacit understanding within Korea that Shim Jaehyuk was the real figurehead of the Hunter Association.

With such a ‘Splendid’ brother,there were expectations silently placed on his siblings’s shoulders.

Especially on my Second older brother,who at the time had already passed the threshold of adulthood.

Shim Manse (심만세)

With a personality more humane around the edges than Shim Jaehyuk,and an expert in instigating conflict and calmly navigating chaos,it was certain that Shim Manse had the potential to surpass his brother as a Hunter.

As expected,My brother awakened as a S-Class Hunter while I was in my first year of University.

But who the Guilds should have been directing their efforts to wasn’t Shim Manse but his best friend.

Han Taejun (한태준)

One of the Few individuals that S-Class Hunter,Lee Kiyoung publicly acknowledges and expresses respect for.

I’ve known him since I was 11 years old as the overly earnest classmate from Middle school that Oppa had given a free pass to my house.

With his chestnut hair and eyes that resembled an Autumn landscape,Han Taejun easily became a welcome existence in our household.

A stray puppy that would scratch on our door whenever he was bored.

He was memorable without having to be a menace.Han Taejun was a symbol of youth in my mind.

Carefree and energetic.Twinkling brightly in my memories.

In the same year as Oppa,he had awakened at the age of 23 years old.

Han-Taejun had awakened as a C-Class hunter.

Despite having the personality and charisma of a Hero of the People,he had been given a supporting role.

But Taejun-Oppa wasn’t disappointed and just laughed it off as if it didn’t matter.

“Maybe I should start a Band instead of being a Hunter?”

He had been in a band throughout High School but was forced to disband during University.

“Taejun-Oppa.Do you not feel it’s unfair?With Manse-Oppa being S-Class with that personality while you’re stuck as a C-Class?”

I could only sigh when my sister had unashamedly brought up the disparity between him and our brother.

Manse-Oppa was certainly better than Jaehyuk-Oppa.Both in mentality and social skills.

On the outside,Manse-Oppa was more of an adult and less aggressive in his approach to retaliation.

But he still had no concept of ‘Selflessly’ helping others.

Towards outsiders,his mindset was that of [Equivalent Exchange].

“Being in a band sounds better than being a Hunter.”

“Lee Kiyoung.That may be so for you but someone like Taejun-Oppa is destined for greatness!”

My sister was bent on cursing the System for choosing to give supreme power to people who couldn’t be bothered like Lee Kiyoung or to Madmen like our brothers.

Lee Kiyoung had came over,claiming a day off from training and raiding dungeons,to watch the televised announcement for Manse-Oppa.

As a high ranking Civil servant,the eldest of us was required to be present for the announcement in-person.

With the fried chicken and beer that we had bought using his credit card on the table in front of us,he was certainly here with us in spirit.

“Look!It’s Manse-Oppa!”

You were cursing him just a few minutes ago.

“Do we have any Sticky Fried Chicken?”

“Lee Kiyoung.Be quiet.”

I know you want to sleep right now,just wait a bit.

“Got it.”

“I haven’t seen that punk in formal wear in all the years I’ve known him.To think I’d see the day.”

People all around the country was waiting in anticipation for what would come out of the newest S-Class’s mouth,while you were judging his clothing….

On the Podium,the press was constantly putting Shim Manse in the spotlight.The cameras continuously shuttering,creating a constant clicking sound.

All eyes were on the confident figure who stood in silence with a approachable smile.

“I would like to thank everyone for showing their support for me today.”

“Surely,some of the people here must have been pleased to find out I had awakened as a S-Class Hunter,following in the footsteps of my Older brother,Shim Jaehyuk.”

He shifted his sights in the direction of the Guild leaders and scouts in attendance.

“Perhaps,some of you are hoping I will be joining in my brother’s footsteps in the Hunter Association.”

He directed his gaze into the main camera,staring into the audience.

“Unfortunately,I hold no interest in joining the Hunter Association.”

“And neither do I have plans on joining an existing Guild.”

The groans of everyone in my living room noticeably filled the room.

“Here we go again.”

“Even though he was criticising Jaehyuk-Oppa for making a show of his announcement a few years ago….”

“Should we order a Pizza?”

Lee Kiyoung announced while scrolling through his phone

“I want something spicy.”

I couldn’t really be bothered to be socially courteous at this point.

“You guys….Shouldn’t you have faith in your older brother?”

“You’re his best friend.Do you have any faith?”

“………”



3