A Father’s Pride
34 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Father’s Pride

This one shot was inspired by the recent Dragon Ball: Legends update where Bardock and Goku fight Frieza. I thought I would use the idea to do something with Goku and Future Gohan.

__

“Come on Trunks, you can do it.” Gohan said watching from the sidelines as Trunks attempted to transform into a Super Saiyan. They had been at it for a few weeks since Gohan had begun training him.

“I… can’t… I’m… sorry… Gohan.” Trunks panted as he fell onto his hands and knees of the beach where they were training.

“It’s fine Trunks, let’s call it a day.” Gohan said, giving him a smile, offering him his hand.

“I’m… sorry Gohan.” Trunks said, taking his hand to stand up.

“It’s fine Trunks, this isn’t an easy thing to achieve.” Gohan said placing a hand on his shoulders. “Come on let’s head home, before you mom gets worried.”

“Ok, Gohan.” Trunks said looking up smiling at him.

They flew back to Capsule Corp, finding Bulma working on the time machine in the basement, “Bulma! We’re back.” Gohan said as she looked up.

“Oh, hey guys how was, the training?” Bulma asked, putting out the cigarette she was smoking.

“It went well, Trunks is close, just a matter of time.” Gohan said.

“… I see, Trunks honey go wash up for dinner.” Bulma said smiling at him.

“Ok, mom.” Trunks said nodding, “Are you staying for dinner Gohan?”

“Sorry not this time.” Gohan said shaking his head.

“Oh… ok see you later Gohan.” Trunks said waving at him.

“See you, Trunks.” Gohan waved back, as Trunks left them.

“Where are you going?” Bulma asked looking at him.

“I want to get some more training.” Gohan said.

“Why not take Trunks with you then?” Bulma asked.

“I’ve been pushing him hard, and he’s done well but, but he needs to rest.” Gohan said.

“… So do you Gohan.” Bulma said walking towards him, “You are pushing yourself too hard as well, you’re burning the candle at both ends. You are training with Trunks, by yourself, and you’re helping me find supplies for the time machine, it’s too much for one person.”

“… I know Bulma but I’m the only one who can do anything to stop the Cyborgs.” Gohan said sighing.

“I’ve told you that you can help me with the time machine with the two of us we could finish it quicker.” Bulma said.

“But how many more people will die, if I’m not out there stopping them.” Gohan said shaking his head, “I’m sorry Bulma but I can’t just stop people need me.”

“… I know Gohan but… I’m sorry to say this but you are not strong enough, and if you keep going out there, you’re going to get yourself and Trunks killed, and I won’t allow that.” Bulma said sternly.  

“…You think I don’t know that Bulma, I’ve tried leaving him behind and you saw how that turned out at least by teaching him how to fight he has a small chance!” Gohan said he was starting to get frustrated.

“Don’t take that tone with me Gohan! I know Trunks wants to fight, and there’s nothing I can do to stop him. So, I’m thankful that you are teaching him how to fight, but if anything happens to him or you, I’m afraid I won’t have the strength to continue.” Bulma said tears rolling down her face.

“…I’m sorry Bulma.” Gohan sighed, hugging her, “…I’ll try and stay around for a few days.” He said hugging her tighter.

“And you’ll try and get some proper rest?” Bulma said into his chest.

“…And I’ll try and get some proper rest.” Gohan repeated chuckling.

“Good… now go wash up and get ready for dinner. I’ll tell Trunks that you changed your mind.” Bulma said wiping her face.

“…hmm ok Bulma thank…” Gohan started saying when he felt two large energy sources pop up out of nowhere.

“What is it, Gohan?” Bulma asked looking concerned.

“Two large energy sources just popped up.” Gohan answered trying to find where they were coming from. “…this isn’t possible.” Gohan said in a whisper once he recognized who the energy belonged to.

“What isn’t possible?” Bulma asked. “Gohan!”

“…The ki feels like… my dad and Frieza’s!” Gohan exclaimed.

“Your dad and Frieza?” Bulma asked shocked, Gohan just nodded his head, “How is that possible?”

“I don’t know but I need to find out!” Gohan said looking at Bulma.

“Gohan!” Trunks yelled racing down the stairs. “Who are those people?”

“I’m going to find out, stay here.” Gohan said, looking at him.

“But I can…” Trunks started saying.

“NO! Trunks stay here, this is an order, if that is who I think it is they won’t hesitate to kill you.” Gohan said look intently at Trunks.

“… ok I’ll stay here.” Trunks said looking down.

“Good.” Gohan said as he took off flying towards where he could feel the energies.

--

Gohan soon reached where the battle was taking place where he came to a halt by what he saw, it was his father and Frieza fighting, “How is this possible?” he whispered seeing them fighting.

He was broken out of his daze when Frieza fired a death ball at his father’s downed form, Gohan quickly moved towards it intercepting it by knocking the blast away. “What!?” Frieza exclaimed as his death ball flew past his face.

“Thanks for the help.” Goku said slowly standing up.

“Who are you!?” Frieza questioned angrily.

“…G-Gohan!?” Goku asked surprised.

“Hey, dad.” Gohan, smiling at him, struggling to hold back his emotions, now that he was here standing next to him, he knew this was his dad. “I know you have a lot of questions, and so do I but they’ll have to wait.”

“… of course, son.” Goku said nodding his head.

“…What!? Gohan, that’s the name of your brat isn’t?” Frieza asked, surprised.

“Wow, you remembered my name Frieza, I’m flattered.” Gohan said smirking.

“…How is this possible, last time I saw you; you were just a brat!” Frieza said glaring at him.

“There’s no point in answering the questions of a dead man!” Gohan said glaring back.

“…OH! Hahaha! It matters not, what happened to you, all that matters is that I’ll kill and your father right here right now!” Frieza said sneering.

“Dad, step back I got this.” Gohan said glancing at him.

“… ok son.” Goku said stepping back.

“I’ve had enough of you filthy monkeys! You said this was earth right!?” Frieza snarled looking at Goku, “Well, I’ll just wipe this destroy this planet along with everything else!”

“You won’t get the chance Frieza!” Gohan said transforming into a Super Saiyan.

“What is that son?” Goku asked.

“This is what Frieza was scared of…” Gohan said glancing up at him and smiling, “A Super Saiyan!”

“… NO! there’s no such thing!” Frieza said angrily, shaking his head.

“I’m afraid so.” Gohan said suddenly, appearing in front of Frieza.

“What!” Frieza managed to say.

Gohan punched him in the stomach, making him spit up blood, Gohan then followed up with a right hook to the face that send Frieza spinning towards the ground. Gohan appeared in front of a panting Frieza, raised his palm, “HAA!!” and fired an attack at point blank range killing him.

Gohan transformed back into normal ready to talk to his dad when he was interrupted by a male voice that he knew to well, “Well… well…well if it isn’t blondie!”

Gohan looked up quickly seeing 17 & 18 floating above where they were, “Crap baskets! They must have followed the explosions, from dad’s fight!” Gohan thought, staring up at them.

“Wait 17 isn’t that Goku!?” 18 said pointing at Goku who was watching the fight nearby.

“Holy Crap you’re right sis, and here I thought he died!” 17 said smiling at Goku.

“W-what do you mean I died!?” Goku asked looking up at them.

“It doesn’t matter, we’ll kill you now!” 17 said smiling, “18 you fight blondie I get Goku.”

“Wait why do you get to fight Goku I want to fight him.” 18 said glaring at 17.

“Because I called dibs.” 17 said.

“No…that’s not fair, I want to fight Goku too.” 18 said getting in front of 17. They soon started arguing about who would fight Goku.

“Dad, when I give you, the signal we will both use the Solar Flare so we can get away.” Gohan whispered.

“What why, there’s two of them and two of us we can take them.” Goku said.

“No, we can’t dad, they’re a lot stronger than Frieza and me, I promise I’ll explain everything later, but we need to go now!” Gohan said, sternly looking at his dad.

“…Fine.” Goku said.

“Fine let’s make it a game!” 17 said shaking his head, when they finished arguing. “Whoever kills him first wins.” 17 said as they both turned to face them.

“Now dad!” Gohan thought.

“SOLAR FLARE!” They both shouted.

“Shit!!” 17 &18 shouted as Gohan and Goku used the distraction to escape.

“Where are we going?” Goku asked after they had put a good amount of distance between the Cyborgs.

“Capsule Corp.” Gohan said.

--

“Bulma I’m back.” Gohan called out as they walked into Capsule Corp.

“Gohan what did you fin- G…Goku!” Bulma shouted shocked by seeing him.

“Bulma, what happened?” Goku asked, as he returned the hug, she gave him.

“Gohan, is this your dad?” Trunks asked walking into the room.

“Yeah, Trunks.” Gohan nodded.

“But I thought he died.” Trunks said.

“What’s going on Gohan, you told me that you were going to explain what happened to Earth. That’s the second time someone said I should be dead, what happened?” Goku asked. “Why is everyone older?”

“Before I tell you can you tell me how you got here.” Gohan said, sitting down in a nearby chair.

“I was fighting Frieza on Namek and I had just used the spirit bomb and then I was here.” Goku said sitting down as well.

“So, you are from the past.” Bulma said looking at Goku.

“The past?” Goku asked.

“Yeah, you are about 14 years into the future it’s currently Age 780.” Gohan said to him, “a lot has happened, dad.”

“Tell me.” Goku said looking at them.

Gohan looked at Bulma, “Alright, but it’s a long story.” Gohan said after a while.

“I have time, especially since I have no idea on how to get back.” Goku said looking at them.

“Let’s start with after you leave Namek.” Gohan said.

--

Gohan talked until night fall telling Goku everything that happened since his death, Trunks had gone to bed leaving the three of them alone, “… wow, I can’t believe all that happened. I’m proud of you Gohan.”

Gohan couldn’t believe his ears; he would have never guessed that his dad would say that “Y-you’re proud of me?”

“Yes, I am son.” Goku said smiling at him.

“B-but why, I haven’t been able to beat the cyborgs and so many people have died because I’m not strong enough to stop them.” Gohan said pushing his chair back as he started pacing back and forth. He didn’t notice Bulma slowly walking out, giving them some time alone.

“I’m proud because you haven’t given up son, you could have given up at any time and let them do whatever they want but you are doing everything you can to put an end to them.” Goku said.

“I don’t think I can beat them dad. I train and train but it’s never enough, they just toy with me. I’m not you, dad, I’m strong enough.” Gohan said as he stared at the ground. Saying what has been weighing on him for so long.

Goku stood up and hugged him, “Gohan look, at me… Son please.” Goku said, Gohan looked up tears in his eyes, “You are Son Gohan, Not Son Goku you have to do things your way not my way. I may not be the dad you lost but I know he would be proud of the man you’ve become.”

“…thank you, dad.” Gohan said feeling like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

“Anytime son.” Goku said smiling at him, “And now that I’m here, I can help you fight the androids, and I know the perfect place we can train.”

“That sounds great dad, where is it?” Gohan asked, feeling a lot better with his dad around.

“It’s a special place on the lookout where one day out here is one year inside.” Goku said smiling at him.

“What’s it called?” Gohan asked.

“The Hyperbolic Time Chamber.” Goku said, “We can go check it out tomorrow.”

“Sounds great dad… dad what’s happening to you?” Gohan asked, shocked that his dad had started glowing white.

“I-I don’t know.” Goku said staring at his hands as he started fading away.

“He might be being dragged back to the time he came from.” Bulma said walking back into the room after hearing Gohan’s concerned voice.

“B-but you just came back.” Gohan said in a whisper.

“It’s alright son, just remember that I’m proud of the man you’ve become.” Goku said smiling as he faded away completely.

“…Gohan, I know it’s a stupid question but are you ok?” Bulma asked, walking up to him, and placing a hand on his arm.

“… yeah, I am.” Gohan said smiling, “I may not have a lot of time with him but, it was good seeing him again.”

“Yeah, it was, so what are you going to do now?” Bulma asked.

“He told me about a place on the lookout where I can go train where one day out here is one year in there. I’ll go look for it tomorrow.” Gohan said, determined to get stronger and to make his father proud.

--

Goku woke to, Piccolo dragging him out of the waters of Namek onto a small piece of land after using the Spirt Bomb on Frieza. He saw Krillin and Gohan flying shakily towards them, seeing his son flying towards him he felt like he was forgetting something, but he couldn’t remember what.

___

(AN: I know it wasn’t much but after playing the update I figured why not just write a little something and I came up with this.)

0