Chapter 7: Depature
24 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Galactic Police Headquarters, Bevarius, Esporte)

 

“You’re fired,” Chief Officer Stakeout announced to the crimson bot, wearing a deeply somber expression on his gray face. 

 

“Fired, sir?” Esporte repeated his words, feeling no sense of surprise. Based on recent events, it was bound to happen.

 

Stakeout was a smaller bot than most, standing at 2 meters tall. His red visor covered his crisp green eyes, enveloped under a light blue helmet. His forehead contained a red squared sensor, meant for radar and internal communications. His body was boxy, comprising of vehicle parts from a two-doored police car. Car doors hung freely on his shoulders, while the car’s front half was snugly placed on his back. Creamy-white hands and fingers interlocked in a deductive pose, his elbows holding up cerulean forearms.

 

“Correct,” Stakeout said, blinking under his visor. “As of today, you are officially terminated from active duty and all future endeavors involving the GPD. I don’t think I need to say why, right?”

 

“Does it concerns my recent behavior pertaining to the High-wire case?”

 

“Esporte, your recent behavior has cost us two valuable leads towards capturing High-wire. Not only have we lost Archforce, but now we’re back to square one in finding another nobody involved with him. Do you honestly think we can tolerate another galactic-sized manhunt? We’re already stretched thin as it is!”

 

“Then I suppose Archforce wasn’t enough, sir.”

 

“He was enough,” Stakeout disagreed, standing up in intimidation. “He was enough, and you shot him. We could’ve pried into his head for answers, we could’ve saved time doing a standard interrogation. Instead, I’m left with another mess done by YOU that makes YOU more of a liability.”

 

“Then I apologize for being a liability, sir,” Esporte humbly said.

 

“You’ve been a liability since you got here, buddy. The worst kind that sticks to you like glue, and doesn’t come off. Now do us all a favor and leave,” Stakeout pointed to his office door. “Get out of my office, detective. Dismissed.”

 

“Yes, sir,” Esporte handed his badge and laser pistol to Stakeout, saluting his boss for the last time. As he walks through his now-former employer for the last time, Koi joined him on his way outside. As the two finally arrived near the entrance, various officers looked in their direction, some gossiping amongst each other.

 

The station was located on Bevarius, a planet once colonized by Cybertronians. In fact, it was one of two worlds ever found by them, though some claim that they located more than seven. 

 

Bevarius was home to King Atlas, a reclusive ruler whose reign has lasted for thirteen galactic years. He rarely appears in public, leading some to think he’s either really shy or a figurehead meant to uphold the planet’s autocratic rule. Hard to say without concrete proof.

 

“Where will you go now?” Koi asked her former partner. 

 

Esporte sighed, scratching his head. “Probably back home, maybe take a long vacation somewhere. Eventually, I’ll find some work.”

 

“Want me to help? I know a couple friends who’ll need a hand,” the jade officer suggested.

 

“I’d be happy to help, thank you,” Esporte said, glancing down. “Just…..not now.”

 

“High-wire’s a lost cause, Esporte. We tried so many times to catch him, and none of them worked.”

 

“Of course we did,” Esporte replied, meeting her eyes. “I was there. I saw lots of our friends slaughtered by that freak’s hands. I visit their graves every year on their anniversary. It’s hard enough not seeing them again, but it’s worse meeting their families since it feels like we’ve-no, I’VE failed them.”

 

“We did our best, honey. We all did,” Koi said, trying to reassure him. 

 

“Nothing’s changed, Koi,” Esporte remarked sadly. “We all know that. And because of my failure, none of the victims’ families won’t see their relatives again. Including me.”

 

“Honey…”

 

“Clarissa was my life, Koi. She meant everything to me,” Esporte said as memories of her smiling face resurfaced. “Now she’s gone, her family’s moved, and I’m all alone without anybody to love. Hell, I don’t even know if she’s still alive anymore.”

 

Koi wanted to respond, but hesitated thinking she’d just upset him further. His anguish was sincere, an aspect of him she secreted admired. 

 

“I’m alone too,” she retorted, gaining his attention. 

 

“What?” He uttered confusingly.

 

“I know what you mean, honey. Being alone is tough, even tougher without someone to lean on,” Koi explained, arms behind her back. “But you’re not alone. Not when you have me at your side.”

 

Esporte blinked at her words, stunned as a taser. “I, uh…”

 

“This isn’t a confession, Esporte. I’m just reiterating our stance as friends. But…..” Koi closed the distance between them, placing a hand on his right cheek. In one swift motion, she met her lips with on his mouthplate for a quick kiss, pulling back just as fast. 

 

“If you’re ever in the mood for a little venting,” the curvaceous officer winked with a pink blush. “You have my number. Later, big guy~!”

 

She blew him one final kiss, heading back inside toward her duties. Esporte stared from behind, watching her sway those luscious hips like a supermodel. An unexpected turn of events, for sure.

 

One he’ll probably have trouble not thinking on during his search for Clarissa, with or without the police. Perhaps that Optimus fellow could help instead. Not like he’s got anything going on.

 

Right?

 

(Earth, Oregon, Present time, Melissa’s house, Optimus Prime)

 

The trio of Melissa, Shaoshao, and Optimus sat around a makeshift campfire in front of Melissa’s newly repaired home. Optimus sat next to Melissa with his legs crossed, holding a barrel of oil in his right hand. The girls meanwhile had strawberry smoothies, happily payed for by Optimus himself. 

 

He felt responsible for letting them get captured by the Decepticons, thus needing to make amends for his carelessness. It was the least he could do.

 

“I assume you two have numerous questions on me,” Optimus said, sipping his barrel. “But more than that, you want to know the truth.”

 

“Asking questions is part of finding the truth, big guy,” Melissa replied. “Now tell us everything about you. We have all night.”

 

Optimus smiled slyly. “An all-nighter, I see. Very well, as you wish.” The Autobot leader cleared his throat.

 

“It’s true that I am Oliver Primerson. For thirty years, I went by that name. But my real name has always and continues to be Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots.”

 

“Autobots?” Shaoshao repeated the strange word.

 

“The original rulers of Cybertron, my home world. Or more accurately, my army,” Optimus explained. “One which continuously fought against our greatest foe, the Decepticons.”

 

“Those guys from the other day,” Melissa slowly connected the dots. “The ones who kidnapped us.”

 

“Archforce was one of many we fought during the war. Though in his case, he left Cybertron for more personal reasons,” the Autobot leader remarked on his last foe, remembering much of the inflicted brutality upon him, that which he took no pleasure from. 

 

“So why was he here?” Shaoshao asked cautiously. “And are there others like him?”

 

“Unknown,” Optimus shook his head. “It’s been a while since I’ve fought Decepticons, even longer than when I first arrived here. I just heard about you two being taken and volunteered to rescue you.” 

 

“How’d you even find us, anyway? We were, like, deep into the mountains that time.”

 

“Hmmm,” Optimus drew a bigger smile. “Simple Decepticon ingenuity. It’s their nature to hide somewhere plentiful in cover. That, and Roller traced communications between Motorhead and HQ. Two birds with one stone.”

 

“Really,” Shaoshao wasn’t convinced. 

 

“You don’t believe me?” The Autobot leader asked. 

 

“I believed you when you came to save us. Thanks for that, really,” the eastern beauty replied. “What I wanna know is if we can trust you.”

 

“Lily, come on! It’s worked out so far, hasn’t it?” Melissa chimed in, not happy with her friend’s attitude. Not that she wasn’t wrong to feel in such a manner.

 

“We got lucky last time. Hell, I'm not even sure if our luck will last," the eastern beauty retorted, setting her smoothie down. 

 

"Esporte's presence was certainly a surprise, I admit. In fact, I wasn't even aware of other Autobots outside my own. Maybe I've just grown too old for my sake," Optimus remarked on himself, finishing his barrel of oil. 

 

"You sure he wasn't wearing that symbol for shits and giggles?" 

 

"I have reason to believe he's genuinely noble in his intentions. Even if he's wearing the Autobot badge as a tattoo, his actions speak more than his words. There's no doubt about him."  

 

"And you?"

 

"I wish the same for me pertaining to you," Optimus leaned forward, adjusting his posture to a kneeling position. "Your distrust of me is understandable, which is why I ask for a truce between us."

 

"A....truce?" Shaoshao repeated the word, unsure of his intentions.

 

"War has dominated my life for centuries, perhaps eons since Cybertron's beginning. I was one of many first constructed during my home's pre-age, when its rulers were originally the Quintessons," Optimus elaborated. "My brothers, the original thirteen, liberated our world from its tyrannical hold, driving away our creators. Not once in my life has peace ever truly set in, always broken up by war. Now.....I just want peace after a long, tedious life." 

 

"How old are you, exactly?" Shaoshao asked. 

 

"Oh? I thought it was rude to ask of one's age on Earth," Optimus responded playfully, leaning closer to her. "Awfully curious, I see."

 

"Y-You wanted a truce, right!?"

 

"I do."

 

"S-So we should keep no secrets from each other," the eastern beauty clarified with a pinkish blush. "You can do that, can you?"

 

"Of course. Whatever you wish for, my dear. I simply offer my friendship in exchange for a deeper understanding of each other," Optimus nodded, straightening himself back up. "I'm sure Miss Faireborn would agree, no?"

 

".....What?" Melissa listened to their conversation until Optimus broke her temporary entrancement with her name, which produced questionable looks from both. "Oh yeah, totally. I think we should trust OP here."

 

"Were you even listening?" Shaoshao raised an eyebrow.

 

"Uh.....yeah? I was just super invested in your little talk with the big guy. You two might become very good friends," Melissa said. 

 

"Not unless I slug his square chin with my fist."

 

"Your fist would barely scratch my face, Miss Shaoshao," Optimus logically countered her idea. "Besides, my face has suffered damage as it stands."

 

"Nah, I can probably make that scar on you bigger," the eastern beauty grinned smugly, ignoring an unsure Melissa watching their intensifying exchange. "Just you wait, Prime."

 

"That wish may come true on day, for I respect those who desire a one-on-one in person," Optimus added to her motivation. 

 

(The next day)

 

Melissa stood facing the mirror, using her reflection to properly don her yellow panties. A few strands of hair concealed her bare chest, which she promptly moved for clearance. Picking up her favorite blue hair tie and hairbrush from the drawer’s top, she combed her smooth brunette locks before styling them into a long ponytail. 

 

Next, she retrieved her accompanying yellow bra, loosely putting it on. She then turned her back towards the mirror, showing the unclipped band. After folding the front straps into place, Melissa reached behind to find her loose band, using the mirror as a guiding point. Carefully, she clipped the band, locking her bra into place. 

 

After dressing herself in a loose blue T-shirt and beige cargo shorts, she made her way into the kitchen, preparing a cup of orange juice and two pieces of buttered white bread toast. She was one of possibly many who averted coffee, preferring healthier options to keep her body fit. Coffee wasn't entirely evil or poisonous, but it does leave one starved for caffeine if he/she chose to withdraw from it. Caffeine is naturally essential for one's day, but an overdose can kill someone. 

 

Melissa walked outside of her newly repaired home, which Optimus surprisingly paid for. In fact during her seven day recovery, Optimus had been busy with many financial endeavors. He donated money to the families of Motorhead's victims, even helping out identifying their burnt remains. His clinic was declared bankrupt at his own accord, feeling responsible for his negligence. Protests certainly erupted from his employees, but he quickly gave them severance pay and wrote recommendation letters as consolation, hoping other hospitals will accept them. And lastly, he paid for reconstruction on not only Melissa's roof, but also parts of town damaged by Motorhead's blasts. A true hero if any ever existed. 

 

Said hero returned into her life with a honk, driving onto her property slowly. His Lamborghini Diablo form shined brightly under the yellow sun, its glossy black colors absorbing its harsh heat. Melissa walked over to the Autobot leader, who began converting into robot mode.

 

Both doors opened, allowing each arm to freely move out, extending their forearms and unveiling the fists, the doors adjusting to their shoulder-shield configuration. The front half tucked away its wheels, covering the headlights with a panel before folding down to become a chest-plate. The rear half also extended, uncovering the thighs and permitted entry for the feet's release, the right foot stepping on rocky ground. Each window on the car pulled back inside, giving the roof a chance to crease itself into the back. A panel opened upfront, his head flipping out as the panel closed again. His mouthplate retracted, the antennae heightened upward then angled diagonally, and his twin sunflower eyes illuminated in brief streaks of yellow light. 

 

Optimus produced a warm smile, fully kneeling on both knees. "Good morning, Miss Faireborn. Have you been well today?"

 

"Good morning to you too, big guy," Melissa greeted him playfully. "My day literally just started, so maybe check back in, say, three hours to see what's up. Other than that, I'm doing okay."

 

"A fact I'm pleased to hear, Miss Faireborn."

 

"Huzzah for mornings," the charming brunette replied sarcastically. "Judging by your visit, I'm guessing you're not here just to say hello, aren't you?"

 

"If that was the case, I'd be coming here everyday to greet your wonderous presence," Optimus said flirtatiously, eliciting a small blush from Melissa. "Alas, other matters tear me away from you."

 

"Stop it, I'm not that special! You're seriously putting me on a pedestal here," Melissa said so, but honestly didn't mind the attention. Too much crossed a line, though. 

 

"I will not deny that you are very attractive, Miss Faireborn, but your beauty is also complimented by your friendly demeanor and intelligent mind. Both of which I've know about since my time together began."

 

"When you were Oliver, right?" 

 

"As Oliver Primerson, yes," Optimus nodded. "I do apologize for keeping secrets for so long."

 

"It's okay," she accepted his apology, smiling at the bot. "Secrets are part of everybody's lives, not just heroes. People always have things they don't wanna speak on, even to their closest friends or families. Even me."

 

"Perhaps one day, you'll share those secrets with me as I've done with you," Optimus encouraged a potential suggestion. "If you want, of course." 

 

"Maybe," Melissa shrugged her shoulders, finishing her orange juice. "So what's your secret, big guy? You look like you're saying goodbye."

 

"Unfortunately, Miss Faireborn, this is goodbye. For now, at least."

 

"Leaving already?"

 

"I have a duty to bring Skyquake and Motorhead to justice," Optimus explained, looking quite remorseful. "Your kidnapping by their hands made me remember my oath to planet Earth: that no matter what, I will protect this world from all invaders eager to plunder it." 

 

"That's quite a burden on you, OP," Melissa remarked. "Are you sure you can do it?"

 

"Positive, for I have protected this world since the Golden Age of Piracy," the Autobot leader replied. "It is my home as it is yours."

 

"That makes you one of us, then. Even if you're not human."

 

"However some felt about my existence never concerned me. Only that my deeds enable their lives into continuous harmony, should their actions deem it so." 

 

Melissa closed the distance between them, resting her cheek on his right metal palm. "I really think you need help, OP. This is your home, like you said. And you're not alone anymore."

 

"Melissa," Optimus finally said her name, feeling the young girl rub her warm cheek. "Centuries passed with no one at my side. Loneliness has never bothered me."

 

"Then why?" Melissa pulled back, watching Optimus offer a lift onto his hand. She accepted, letting him lift her towards his face.

 

“I cherish you,” he answered softly. “You have been a part of my infinite lifespan for two years now. Our time together sped by, but I treasure every second of it. As I treasure you.”

 

“All the more reason to let me help you,” Melissa said, hoping to convince him. “You’re a part of my life too. Why not help each other out?”

 

“Because I love you, Melissa Faireborn,” Optimus admitted to her, optics focused on her. 

 

"You.....w-what?"

 

"I love you," he restated to the bewildered woman, face enveloped in a pinkish blush. "I love you, Melissa."

 

"O-Ok, I heard you already," the brunette glanced away in embarrassment. 

 

"And it's because of my love for you that I cannot risk your life for this mission," Optimus reaffirmed his stance. "This is a fight I must wage alone." 

 

"D-Do you.....Do you have to be alone?" She locked eyes with him again. 

 

"Yes, unfortunately," the Autobot leader nodded sadly. "Skyquake will hurt you again without a doubt."

 

"Not just me, you know. Lily, and who knows how many girls he's caught," Melissa realized. "He's probably doing it right now."

 

"And I will stop him."

 

"But," Melissa shook her head, fearing a similar sense of neglect. "What if you won't come back? No one else knows about you."

 

"Fear not, my dear. Even if I return damaged and severely wounded, I will still return," Optimus said confidently. "That is a promise." 

 

"Then...." Melissa leaned forward, planting a kiss on his cracked lips. Despite the cold metal surface, a hint of warmth was felt within. She withdrew from his face, bearing a look of imploration. "Make sure you come back. Don't make it a promise, but a guarantee you'll come back."

 

"A guarantee, huh?" Optimus liked the sound of that, nodding in response. "Very well, then. I shall return to you no matter what."

 

"Good. And if you don't, I will hurt you. Deal?"

 

Optimus merely smiled, setting her back on solid ground. "Deal."

 

Afterward, Melissa watched her companion leave for his duties, off to another fight with the Decepticons. Away from her, like her father and mother. A deeply rooted part of her heart that itches to see them again, hoping they're safe and sound in wherever they are. Just as she prayed for their safety, she now prays for Prime.

 

A prayer which might've already reached him.

0