Chapter 2: Unexpected Visits
72 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Oregon, Melissa’s home)


“Lily, I got the pie! Do you want a plate or no?” Melissa asked, setting the foiled tray down on the table.

“What am I, four years old? Give me one already, we don’t have much time,” Shaoshao replied, seating herself in the black armchair.

“Gosh, so pushy. No wonder men avoid you,” Melissa snarkly commented, handing a small plate to her. “Ever tried saying the magic word?”

“Oh, zip it, will you. Dating isn’t my strong suit, anyway,” the eastern beauty said, cutting a piece for herself. “Besides, I’ve got better things to do than waste nights of my life on interchangeable retards.”

Melissa shrugged her shoulders, turning the tv on. “Suit yourself. Just remember that most guys prefer a woman with some level of maturity.”

“Are you saying I’m not mature?” Shaoshao questioned her reasoning.

“Actually, you’re very mature, lily. Like, so mature that guys will totally pick you,” Melissa said, crossing her legs together. “Unless….you swing the other way.”

“Okay, now you’re just fucking with me,” the eastern brunette pointed out. 

“Eh, maybe. You’re pretty easy to tease,” Melissa admitted upfront. “Which isn’t a bad thing of course, oh no.”

(Pacific Ocean skies, Altitude 37,000 feet)


Skyquake cruised above the clouds, the full moon casting its frozen glow. His internal radar scanned for incoming airborne targets, choosing to stray far from their sight. Any passenger flights or even military cargo planes could easily spot him, making him priority number one.

So far, only two or three had been detected. And like a predator found its prey, he hid away to safety. He only hopes no one had 20/20 eyesight.

“Where are you, Optimus prime?” Skyquake muttered to himself. “I know you’re out there. Come out and play with the Predator Skyquake!”

Then, by divine coincidence, an Autobot signal was detected. Right on the coast of Oregon, a lone symbol appeared on his radar. Could that be him or someone else entirely? Maybe they know where Prime is.

“I don’t know who you are, but you’re not going anywhere,” Skyquake said, initiating vector boosters. “Not while I’m here, at least.”

He then dashed towards his destination.

(Oregon, Melissa’s house)


“How could you do this to me, honey? After everything I’ve done for you,”  the man on TV said to his wife, kneeling with a saddening look.Why?”


“Sorry, Patrick. I just don’t love you anymore. In fact, I may have never loved you at all,” the wife turned to their door, opening for herself. “Goodbye, my friend. Our love was wonderful while it lasted.”


“No. No! Come back, Sarah! Come back to me!” His cries for her return were not reciprocated.


Shaoshao had a single tissue in hand, wiping off her melancholic tears. How tragic to see lovers driven apart by unshared disinterest. 

Melissa, on the other hand, merely watched in silence. She wasn’t really a fan of romantic programming, but she respected her friend’s wish to watch alongside her. Just that she wanted something more action-packed, as most would say.

“Damn it, it’s not fair!” Shaoshao blurted out, adding another used tissue to the makeshift pile on the table. “How could they just break up like that after two years of knowing each other? I thought they were better than this!”

“Good question, sweetie. Good question,” Melissa agreed, handing her friend the entire tissue box.

“Thanks,” Shaoshao grabbed another tissue. “I mean, really? After three whole seasons, this is our ending?”

“Maybe the show’s getting cancelled or people just didn’t like their relationship? I’ve seen lots of people go mad over their pairing online,” the brunette theorized, using past examples of illogical fandom behavior. Ah, the joys of entertainment obsession.

“Bullshit. Legit, people got mad over them being together? How fucking petty do they have to be?” Shaoshao replied angrily, wholly grabbing the makeshift tissue pile.

“Enough to complain about fictional pairings for fictitious shows,” Melissa said, getting off her chair. “Need some help?”

“I’m good. Just keep the seat warm for me,” Shaoshao went into the kitchen, throwing away her used tissues. She then washed her hands, coming back into the living room.

“Alright,” Melissa uttered, clapping her hands together. “So, wanna keep watching or should we head to bed now?”

Shaoshao raised an eyebrow. “Is it late already?”

“Midnight, to be precise,” Melissa replied. 

“Well….” The eastern beauty scratched her head, ruffling her long hair somewhat. “I guess we should. Nothing good comes on after 1:00.”

Melissa stood up, stretching her arms up. “Okay. I’ll get the guest room ready. Or…….would you rather sleep with me~?”

“Wha-!?” Shaoshao immediately flushed red, crossing her arms in annoyance. “Y-You really know how to push someone’s buttons, huh!?”

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding~! God, you’re so serious it hurts. Not literally, of course, but you know what I mean,” Melissa patted her friend on the back. “Forgiven?”

Shaoshao sighed, now unwilling to let anger run her judgement. “Just this once.”

“Yay!”

(Oregon skies, Altitude 36,000 feet)


Skyquake arrived above the location, flying around in circles. He scanned below for the signal, finding it somewhere at coordinates 7-24-31. It originated from a small house surrounded by trees and heavy vegetation.

“Skyquake to all available Decepticons,” he transmitted an encrypted communication. “Be advised that an unknown Autobot signal has been spotted, and I’m currently on route to engage. Should you not hear back from me, presume I’m dead then initiate pursuit. Good luck and stay hidden.” 

The alien jet hung up the message, lowering his nose into the clouds. “As for me, I’m getting a head start.”

(Oregon, Melissa’s house)


After a quick shower and toothbrush session, Melissa had changed into her favorite set of pajamas: a red top and blue shorts. A mirror faced her bed, occupied by a desk chair. Melissa sat down, took her usual hairbrush then carefully smoothed out her silky amber hair.


While doing so, she heard noises of the shower running, probably Shaoshao getting her turn next. As her beryl orbs gazed into her neutral reflection, her mind pondered on recent personal events.


Like her father and mother being deployed in Europe, possibly for a long time. The house she resides in belongs to them, but they lent it to her for safekeeping. She has become its owner, while simultaneously awaiting her family’s return. 


Her only family, in fact. David and Allison Faireborn have been Melissa’s only relatives in her life. No uncles, no aunts, not even a single cousin. Perhaps most of them died during a war, seeing how involved the military’s been in their lives. As a result, Melissa only depended on her loving mother and caring father, both of whom raised her as best they could into an outstanding young woman.


She just wished they went to her birthday parties or visited for Christmas. 


Just then, as Shaoshao’s shower was finished, a loud distant THUD can be heard, startling the young brunette. As most would suggest, it was probably the wind. Yet even during summer, Oregon has very light winds. In fact, it’s usually pretty quiet most of the time.


Which meant only one thing: either someone took a wrong turn and crashed or someone came to say hello without knocking. And he/she probably don’t care about the two current residents.


Melissa sprung into action, opening the closet to find her trusty AR-15. Footsteps were then heard coming down the hallway, stopping at the door which received a double door. Melissa opened it, finding Shaoshao dressed in black panties and a thin yellow T-shirt with ‘Counterattack!’ written in red.


“What happened!?” The eastern beauty spoke, also shaken by the noise. Her wet hair was left undried due to the commotion.


“Dunno. Probably a wild animal,” Melissa replied, grabbing her rifle and full magazine. 


“Wild animals?” Shaoshao was shocked. “You never told me there were wild animals!”


“Relax, it’s probably just a bear. One or two aren’t too difficult,” Melissa loaded the ammunition into her AR-15, cocking the charging handle. “You can stay here if you want.”


“And let you get eaten? No way! Even I’m not that afraid.”


“Good on you, Li-,” the brunette’s words abruptly ceased upon noises sounding more like footsteps. Giant footsteps, actually, which got closer and closer to their location. 


“Is that the-“


“Ssh,” Melissa hushed her friend, pointing to the closet. “Let’s hide there.”


“I-I don’t know if we should. What if it’s really a bear? It c-can’t hurt us here, right?” Shaoshao said, her body trembling considerably. 


“I have a feeling it’s bigger than a bear,” Melissa took her friend’s hand, leading her into the closet. Or at least she attempted to.


“M-Melissa, please. I-I really don’t wanna go in there,” Shaoshao whined in a frightened manner. 


“It’ll only be a few minutes, I promise,” the brunette reassured her, wrapping an arm around Lily.


“No, you don’t understand!” Shaoshao shook her head, her breathing slowly rising fast. “I…….I have nyctophobia. That’s why there’s always a light in my room. Please! Can’t we hide somewhere else!?”


“Sweetie,” Melissa put both hands on Lily’s cheeks. “I’ll be right here keeping you safe from whatever’s outside. Then right after this, I’ll sleep with you tonight. Will that make you feel better?”


“A-A little, I guess,” Shaoshao nodded her head, breathing slowly to calm herself. “Promise not to let go?”


“Cross my heart and hope to die. Now come on,” Melissa finally brought her friend into the closet, shutting the door completely.


Outside, the loud footsteps stopped. Shaoshao held onto the brunette tightly, quietly whimpering in fear. Melissa caressed her friend’s back, trying to soothe the fright away.

Then, two sets of creaking noises were heard topside, mixed with  a mechanical whirring of sorts. Almost like something grabbed the roof.


“Oh my god, oh my god! We’re gonna die. We’re so gonna die!” Shaoshao whispered to herself, gripping Melissa harder.


As if things couldn’t get worse, the roof slowly detached from the house, courtesy of the mysterious force outside. Pieces of asphalt cracked into tinnier bits, some of it landing the duo. Melissa used her whole body to shield Shaoshao, a stray piece hitting her back which caused immense pain.


“Melissa, no!” Shaoshao shouted amidst the chaos. 


“Just stay down! I’ll be…alright,” the brunette wasn’t convincing, but she kept bearing the brunt of it. 


Soon, the whole roof was completely removed, flung away to an unknown spot by the stranger. Smoke clouded up below, emitting coughs of the two woman. Melissa freed Shaoshao from her tight grasp, stumbling back onto her bottom. Blood trickled down her back, some leaking from her forehead. She was wounded, and required a doctor fast. 


“Melissa!” Shaoshao knelt to her side, taking the brunette’s right hand. “Why did you do that, you idiot?


“What…..do you mean, silly?” Melissa barely responded, dizziness invading her psyche. “I had to protect you. We’re friends, right?”


“I know that, but…..but-!”


“But nothing,” Melissa retorted, her left hand touching Lily’s right cheek. “You’re safe now. That’s what matters most.”


“Melissa….I…..”


“Here,” Melissa handed her the AR-15, which Lily carefully received. “The safety‘s off. Go kill that son of a bitch for me. I’ll try to call……for help.”


Shaoshao nodded her head, standing up with rifle in tow. “Got it.  I won’t let you down.”


“-Let who down?” A masculine voice spoke from above, surprising the eastern beauty. Looking up, she saw a massive face with grassy eyes gazing down on her. The face didn’t have a mouth, only an indented metal mask. And don’t forget the two-sides forehead crest curved upward he sported, which kinda resembled demon horns.

“Who….are you?” Shaoshao asked, pointing her gun at him.

Who am I, little one?” The big robot chuckled, reaching inside to grab the gun-wielding human. Shaoshao dodged his attempts, running through the open door. 

She sprinted down the hallway, avoiding any broken asphalt pieces scattered inside. Eventually, she reached the front door, unlocking it then blasting through like a bullet. The giant robot noticed her new position, slowly walking towards her. 

I am the pure embodiment of evil,” he said, using his feet to stomp her into paste to no avail. “I am the leader of the Predators, the pillar binding everyone’s bloodlust.

Shaoshao turned around, firing a three round burst at him. The bullets defected his chassis, prompting her an immediate escape.

I am Skyquake, master strategist and executioner. My hands have slaughtered thousands before, and now they shall slaughter thousands more. You can be the first.

Shaoshao stepped back, tripping on a rock. She fell backward, dropping her gun in the process. Her eyes kept looking at the robotic beast, menacingly approaching her. Fear overcame her senses, causing her breathing to become erratic.

“N-Never!” She managed one word through her excessive panting, all indications pointing to a panic attack. “And you…..can’t make me!”

“We’ll see about that,” Skyquake unveiled internal blasters on his right arm, pointing directly at Shaoshao. “Goodbye, little one.”


Lily panicked, curling into a ball with her eyes closed preparing for the inevitable. The sounds of charging lasers filled her ears, thoughts of death permeating her entire mind. 

She had so much left to do, not to mention how grateful she felt towards Melissa. That cheerful smile of hers cured her loneliness once she entered Lily’s life. Hell, it could even cheer up an entire kindergarten if needed.

And now she’ll never see that smile again. Truly a terrible shame.

……

….

….

Strange. 

Nothing happened. No lasers vaporized her. In fact, not even a tiny spark touched her. What gives?

She looked up once more, finding an unusual surprise. Skyquake was impaled from behind, an elongated silver blade sticking out of his orange chest. 

Oil dripped from his wound, turning into a black geyser after the cloaked user pulled out his weapon. Some of it landed on Shaoshao, who didn’t realize it then.

Skyquake fell to his knees, green eyes flickering fast till they lost all color. His now lifeless body plunged forward onto its stomach, a large oil puddle forming quickly.

Lily saw the cloaked stranger store his weapon away, before exhaustion swept her over, leading to her collapse. She fell hard on her back, eyes slowly closing.

The last thing she saw was the cloaked figure approaching her, unsure whether he’ll kill her or let her live. Perhaps neither, but who knows? 

She might be already dead.

2