Chapter 6  Goblins, Everyone Hates Goblins!
449 29 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Click the [ ] Button on ALL chapters! Thank You!

GOBLINS: This creature stands barely three feet tall, its scrawny, humanoid body dwarfed by its wide, ungainly head. Goblins prefer to dwell in caves, amid large and dense thickets of thistles and brambles, or in structures built and then abandoned by others. Very few goblins have the drive to build structures of their own. Coastlines are favored, as goblins are quite fond of sifting through junk and flotsam in an unending quest to find treasures among the refuse of more civilized races.

Goblin hatred runs deep, and few things inspire their wrath more than gnomes (who have long fought against goblins), horses (who frighten goblins tremendously), and regular dogs (whom goblins regard as pale imitations of goblin dogs).

Goblins are also quite superstitious, and treat magic with a fawning mixture of awe and fear. They have the habit of ascribing magic to the mundane as well, with fire and writing both taking on mystical power in goblin society. Fire is much loved by goblins for its capacity to wreak great destruction and because it doesn’t require size or strength to wield, but written words are hated. Goblins believe that writing steals words out of your head, and as a result of this belief, goblins are universally illiterate.

Goblins are voracious and can eat their body weight in food daily without growing fat. Goblin hovels always have numerous storerooms and larders. While they prefer human and gnome flesh, a goblin won’t turn down any food—except, perhaps, vegetables.

 

Chapter 6  Goblins, Everyone Hates Goblins! by Harem-Fan

 

     Noon, on the road through Greenwood Forest...

     I count 7 Guards surrounding the wagons, fighting around 3 Goblins each. In the treeline, I can see 2 Goblin Archers and 1 Goblin Pyromaniac, probably an Adept or Sorcerer.

     [Invisibility]

     "Phew, Here I come! I won't watch another Greenwood happen again..."

     Swiftly, I make my way to the left side of the road where the 2 goblins are shooting their shortbows with flaming arrow heads. The leader is holding a torch and lighting the arrows for the other two, as they try to hit the legs of the defending guards to catch them on fire.

     As I ended up behind the three laughing Goblins, I pointed to the leader and cast...

     [Glitterdust]

     A cloud of golden particles covers the 3 Goblins and everything else in the area, causing the 2 Archers  to become blinded. All 3 within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades after around 42 seconds at my level. The Pyromaniac was able to close his eyes in time, to not be blinded.

     "Damn sneaky human!" "Cocka, I can't see!" "We under attack, but I am blind! Where is he?!"

     The sparkling Pyromancer grins at me, and the Goblin, no taller than my waist, extends his hands to cast a spell! I am able to understand the words he is saying, thanks to Spellcraft, and recognize the spell...

     [Burning Hands]

     A 15 foot jet of flames spreads out covering me in red and yellow flames for a moment, and then the Goblin only says in confusion.

     "Huh?! Why no burn?!"

     Mind you , these little shits are not speaking the Common language, but Goblin only. The wild Goblins cannot even speak anything but Goblin. Just the rare Adventuring civilized Goblins can even learn it. Well his confusion is because I am immune to fire, so...

     I take advantage of the Archers being blind to attack them with my longsword.

     Slice! Swish! Swoosh! My three hits were all required to kill just one of the probably Rogues, this meant they are close to Middle Level in strength, and no common Goblins.

     "AK!" "Toe-jam, NOOOOO! Bastard human, I eat you!"

     Sadly for the second Archer, I had stepped to the side, and due to being blind, he only attacked where I was last standing, but the Pyromancer, tried a more powerful spell while stepping back. Sadly, I failed to understand it while he was casting, so I have to see it now...

     [∃∀∪Δ]

     Even though I could not understand his spell, I do understand the pointing of his finger and the single laser ray of the Scorching Ray spell hitting my shoulder! Yes, without Spellcraft, you only hear gibberish. But Knowledge Arcana, lets you identify the spell after it is cast by knowing the effects of the spell.

     "Cowardly human! Don't ignore my powerful fire!"

     I ignored the flustered caster and stepped into the Rogue who tried to hit me before, and three swings came knocking!

     Slice! Slick! Whiff! My first two swings cut down on both of his little shoulders, and my third attack missed cutting his neck, due to him stepping back at the right moment.

     "Arhg! Boss Firefight, kill him with your great flame!"

     "Cant, see you later, good luck, he-he!"

     "Noooo! Wait for Buzz!"

     Swoosh! As the blind Goblin was trying to flee with his Boss, I took advantage of the opportunity, and cut his back, killing him dead.

     I then grinned, and pointed my same gun-finger to the fleeing Goblin Casters back, and cast...

     [Scorching Ray]

     My two lasers accurately hit the Goblin in his left leg, and his head, killing him outright! Then, I moved to the road to assist the caravan...

-

     The Merchant had seen my fight with the leader and the pesky Archer that killed two of his Guards, then seeing me rush in, he only hoped I was not a bandit taking advantage.

     Out of the five remaining Guards, two were women, and 3 were men.

     Out of the 3 men, one was a Half-Orc, and two were Human, and all looked to be of the Fighter class. They all looked to be a part of a Mercenary Party, probably hired from the Adventurers Guild for Caravan duty.

     Surprisingly, one of the two females, was standing on one of the carriages, shooting a small sized shortbow into a group of 3 Goblins consisting of  a Warrior with a club, shield, and bone helm, while the other two are female Goblins with daggers.

     The small Bard, with a Lute on her back, was a female Goblin, and my brain was shocked to see a Goblin fighting for, and with Humans!

     The other Human woman looks to be a Cleric of some Deity. She has sandy blonde hair, while wearing chainmail with a raven motif, a shield, and swinging a mace. I even saw her magically throw her mace into one of the many goblins, and it flew back into her hands!

     Was that a boomerang?! She had a group of 5 Warrior like Goblins licking their lips in hunger, wanting to take her down and cook her flesh.

     No, unlike my last worlds memories of fantasy goblins, these are not the grab women for procreation bastards like the Orcs do, but these are the mean little fuckers that eat you while you are still alive.

     Acting fast, I hold my Holy Symbol, and cast my Druid spell targeting the largest group near the Cleric...

     [Explosion of Rot]

     I targeted a point 10 feet from the Cleric to not hit her, and 4 of the 5 goblins had been affected by an explosion of withering energy so powerful, even Undead and Constructs are damaged by it, and if it is plant life, it is even more vulnerable to this intense spell!

     The Goblins all screamed in pain, and 3 of the 4 just died on the spot. And the last one looks on the edge of collapsing! The woman shouted to me.

     "Thank you, stranger!"

     She then used her mace to end the one on his last breath, leaving her with one, so I changed to the 3 on the Bard.

     Two of the female Goblins had finally climbed to where the Bard was shooting, and flanked her to try and keep her from using her bow, and their plans worked.

     I target both flanking female Goblins, and cast...

     [Magic Missile]

     A total of 4 blue glowing darts of force, streaked to the two Goblins, I had split it so each one takes 2 Missiles each, thankfully, the two were injured, so they fell unconscious, this freed the Bard up to shoot down at the now pissed Warrior, who is running to me. I think those were his women I dropped!

     "Ah! NOOOOOOO!"

     Just as the Warrior is going to hit me with his dogslicer blade, one of the Human Guards had been pulled down by 3 Goblin Warriors, as they bit into him.

     Slice! I was attacked by the Warrior's charge attack, but my Mage Armor proved to be effective.

     The Cleric wanted to help her teammate who just fell, but the Goblin still on her had to disagree with her kind thoughts. Then she grinned, stepped a few feet safely to the side closer to the fallen comrade, held up her Holy Symbol with an image of a woman, with longhair and a gown, with 9 stars floating around her. The Cleric then yelled.

     "I plead for your healing grace, Goddess Mystra! Channel Energy!"

     Just then, from her Holy Symbol, white light spread rapidly in all directions in a 30 foot burst!

     Somehow, the goblin on her, and the two unconscious female Goblins on the carriage, had not received her Divine Healing. Everyone else, including me, felt all their wounds mend rapidly, wow!

     I swiftly cast another spell using my left hand to complete the semantic component while I spoke the Arcane language...

     [Shocking Grasp]

     White lightning surrounded my hand, and due to this Goblin having worn chainshirt armor, my electricity on my hand is drawn to him. As I pressed my finger where his little heart would be, it entered his body. Not only that, it seemed I touched a weak point as the energy flowed into his body, doing easily twice the normal amount of damage it otherwise would do!

     As the now black charcoal hit the floor, I moved to the last Goblin attacking the Cleric, who just hit her thigh with his dogslicer, and also hit a weak point on her leg.

     The Bard now free to act, pulled out her Lute and began to strum it, singing a song to empower her allies. But I was almost distracted in a bad way, as that creature called a Bard, winked at me suggestively. My soul shuddered! Though, her Inspiring Song did help her friends out over in the big melee.

     The Cleric feeling the pressure off of her stepped closer to her comrades again raising her Holy Symbol, and repeated her area of effect healing, assuring the Fighter on the ground will not die.

     The Half-Orc Fighter killed the last Goblin on him, and moved to help the guy on the ground. Now the battle is nearing its end, with only two dead Guards, a man and a woman.

     I then point to the Goblin who is not standing adjacent to the Cleric, and point my finger for another of my new default attack spells...

     [Scorching Ray]

     One of my two rays missed hitting the ground near his feet, but my second ray did enough to drop the Goblin unconscious. The Cleric in surprise said.

     "Wow, 4 Magic Missiles, and 2 Scorching Rays, you are a mid-level Sorcerer!"

     Ah! She would not believe me if I told her I was only a low-level 2nd Sorcerer. I just shrug, and move to the remaining Goblins...

     I only used my longsword to flank with the last 3 Guards, and we killed the unconscious Goblins.

     Naturally, my past life experiences had reminded me to scavenge. I did not forget to loot the 3 in the woods I killed.

-    If this story is on any-other site than Scribble Hub, then it was stolen without permission!

     Wind had come to me when all was settled, and the Caravan owner, his family, and the Adventurers all gathered to bury the dead, and do small repairs. I was kind and used my Mending spell on the wagons, where they took damage.

     "Adventurer, I am Jeremy Kodak, Merchant from the Seaport City. We were on our way back home from stopping by in Greenwood City, two days ago."

     I heard his words, and I think I let it show on my face, so I explained to the party.

     "My name is Ken Gold. Shortly after you guys left, Greenwood City was destroyed by the Fang Skull Orc War-band, so if you'd stayed, you would have all been killed, I had come from there. As far as I know, I might be the only survivor, unless some escaped."

     The Half-Orc Fighter, I learned, was named Krill, wielding a greatsword, then said.

     "For the Fang Skull Tribe to attack so far South, I cannot fathom why? It is not normal for them to make that very long travel, bypassing like 2 other easier to attack towns?!"

    To protect me from Nikita, I cannot tell anyone of the Vampire, or the fact she came there for me. I already feel like shit, knowing I was the reason for my Town's fall. I just shrug and tell them.

     "They definitely went back North, because I had not seen a trace of the Hoard on my way down this road, so blessings for small Miracles."

     The Goblin Bard smiled sweetly at me, well I think it is sweetly, ew, and offered.

     "Well handsome, you saved my bacon there. I am Luckums Tavern-song. So, if you're going East, I can buy you a few gallons of Rotgut?!"

     Fuck, a few gallons of Rotgut, that would be murder in my past world, right? No, that is murder here in my world. Fortunately my awkward moment was saved by the Cleric. She introduced herself.

     "Hello Mystic Theurge, I am Raven Crowley, Cleric of Mystra. I was hard pressed to save my team mates till your intervention, so thanks."

     Yes, if anyone asks about my class in the future, the Mystic Theurge is the perfect explanation. It is a class equally devoted to Divine and Arcane magic, it combines both magical traditions into one incredibly diverse class.

     "It was no issue, so if you are all okay, then I will head off."

     Jeremy Kodak, the Merchant, stopped me and offered.

     "Adventurer Gold, might I implore you to escort us the remaining few days? I can pay in gold. Plus, I think you mentioned before that you have never been to Seaport, right? It is a Metropolis there, and you know not a single person, so why not make friends and earn a bit of gold?"

     The now five man adventuring group all nodded their heads in hope I would join them. A real Mystic Theurge is a rare sight.

     I realized I have no one alive, and I felt a bit lonely, so I reluctantly nodded my head, lets try trusting strangers, maybe this will be a good way to learn more about this amazing world.

     "Sure, I will tag along, thanks."

-

     After we started East, a large eagle had been sitting high up in a pine-tree, watching the events from start to finish.

     Then it flew away...

 

Click the [ ] Button on ALL chapters! Thank You!

35