Chapter 4 – Reality
108 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frey had dug for at least an hour before hitting a layer of compact earth laden with stone. His measly shovel clearly not befitting of clearing such obstacles.

He pressed on despite the inadequacies of his equipment to no success. He didn’t even make it an inch past the stones.

Having accepted the limitations of his equiptment Frey pulled the young mans body from the wreck. Struggling to hold the weight of the much taller man, he dragged the body and lowered it into the grave. He began covering the corpse with dirt.

Upon completion of his task he now stood over what would certainly be called the world’s shallowest grave. 

The sun had begun to set and it only added to the melancholic atmosphere.

Frey hadn’t been a very emotional person but the one thing that got to him most were the intricacies of death, the wasted potential, what was left behind. 

Still though in the face of the situation an odd numbness saturated his mind. A sensation he had not experienced before in all his twenty-three years. Certainly not when his grandmother had passed, he had been quite miserable in the face of her death.

He didn’t feel the way he expected to feel about the young man. He had thought he would feel more, he expected a sense of kinship, he expected sadness. Instead all he felt was a strong feeling of pity accompanied by a twinge of disgust. Disgust so deeply hidden within his subconscious, Frey wasn’t aware of it himself.

A young man around his age had left the world, alone in a horrific car crash. He could have been bleeding out trapped, scared and suffering for hours. The potential his life held snuffed by the update.

Yet Frey wasn’t sad?

What’s wrong with me? He thought inwardly.

He had been staring at a mound covering the body of a human being, just like him, and yet he felt no sadness?

Is this… real? He questioned for what seemed like the thousandth time.

Sunlight was dwindling fast, a realisation dawning on Frey. Logic took the wheel, he lamented only for the briefest moment at how stupid he had been. He had set out on foot to town, a town nearly fifteen kilometres away.

How did he expect to make it before nightfall? How did he expect to survive if the world had truly fallen to pieces?

Why had he been so readily influenced by the change presented to him by this “System”.

In the face of consequence, all of Freys decisions now seemed utterly reprehensible and yet, he didn’t falter. He remained calm.

*Crunch* *Crunch* *Crrck* 

Footfall sounded out in the distance.

I need to leave. 

Frey didn’t know what was making the sounds, he didn’t know what else could be out there in the mountains and he didn’t want to find out. Especially in the dark of night.

The best he could hope for were more Orthopterans, a foe he had faced and one he could defeat.

He gathered his belongings, which were lacking to say the least, his bag and a water bottle were all that remained, he hadn’t even brought his phone or a torch. Somehow the idea hadn’t even entered his mind.

Another out of character action to take note of. Frey was carefree but not so carefree as to neglect the basics.

Seriously Frey, maybe, just maybe, you could’ve thought this through more.

He started towards the bank where he had descended into the forest. 

The sun setting behind him, providing the radiance of golden hour.

Frey looked up at his daunting climb, more so a scramble. It looked a lot harder getting back up than it was to come down.

Despite the challenge before him, he began to climb, gripping tree trunks for support and pulling himself up.

The lactic acid built in his legs, the burning sensation accumulating.

*Crunch* *Crunch*

The footfall drew closer.

Alarm bells ringing in his head Frey climbed faster, faster than his body could truly handle, the burning now assaulting his legs, he gritted his teeth, sweat dripping down his forehead.

With momentous speed, Frey mounted the summit of the bank, immediately turning and falling prone. Mud coated his clothing and the coolness of water soaked his skin. His hands gripped the hilt of his not-so mighty shovel tightly.

He gazed downwards, trying to find the source of the sound.

Four Orthopterans marred his vision. In the distance below they could be seen searching. 

Shit, looks like the other two had some friends.

One Orthopteran, larger than the other three, seemed to hold something in its arm. Its antennae, unlike the others with thin wiry antennae, were thick. Like the beads on a necklace. Its eyes held a faint glow within them.

That’s one dodgy looking cunt.

Upon closer inspection it wasn’t holding anything at all. In place of its forearm and clawed hands it possessed an organic sword made of its own exoskeleton. 

…dodgy and deadly.

Frey knew nothing of the creatures really other than what he already knew about standard Earth grasshoppers, he didn’t know if that information translated over nor did he want to make any assumptions.

Remembering the notification he received earlier he opened the bestiary tab and took a look at the entry to gain insight on his enemy.

_____________________

< Orthopteran >

Type: Monster

Orthopterans are a race of relatively weak monsters possessing low intelligence, they often work in groups to circumvent their weakness as an individual. Orthopterans have been know to live in tribal societies, usually lead by a higher level evolved Orthopteran.

0/10 Slain till next entry

______________________

Looks like the tall fella is an “evolved” monster.

…. aaand, I need to kill some more if I want anymore info. Nice! Frey noted sarcastically after reading the bottom of the display.

*Cheep* *Chit*

The group at that moment had found where Frey had just buried the young mans body. 

*Chit**Chit**Chit*

The leader then began issuing orders to his underlings, pointing in various directions. The other three acknowledging the commands setting out every which way.

One headed straight towards where Frey had been hiding.

Shit! Shit! Shit!

Not knowing what else to do Frey froze, praying he wouldn’t be seen, hoping in the fading light he’d remain hidden. 

In a few short moments the flitting of wings darted over him.

He braced expecting an incoming assault. It never came, the flitting slowly fading into the distance.

Huh? Shit-house eyesight I guess. Frey thought to himself.

Frey maintained his position, watching the leaders movements. He had a high ground advantage and something deep inside was telling him to make use of it. It was almost instinctual.

He knew they were capable of closing short distances at speed, their powerful legs and wings made him painfully aware of that.

Daylight was dwindling fast and Frey did not want to be stuck in the dark, alone, in the mountains surrounded by enemies.

He felt… no he knew he needed to nip it in the bud before he could no longer see what hunted him.

Frey knew his only chance would be to handle them now, while what was left of the light remained, where his human eyes maintained their efficiency. 

He knew his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training was rendered effectively useless on an enemy with a built in blade. Grappling would be essentially inviting the monster to impale him. Even without the blade the thorny legs of the monsters were formidable in their own right. From his prior experiences, as long as he maintained distance they had very few methods of damaging him.

Ruling out grappling Frey assessed his chances with a weapon.

 

His shovel being over a metre in length provided him with a means to stave the creatures off. The leaders sword-arm, only being fifty centimetres or so, Frey saw himself at an advantage in terms of weapon reach.

Frey checked his Status in anticipation of a fight to see where he stood.

___________________

Status  

Name: Frey

Race: Human

Faction: None

Classes: Druid [LVL 1]  (1/3)

Professions: 0/10

Level: 1

Experience Points: 65/200

Health Points: 83/100

Mana Points: 120/120

Stamina: 53/150

__________________

Upon seeing his stamina Frey back-pedalled and began to contemplate. A skirmish now could be the death of him. He began to wonder if he should take a skill now, he was in urgent need if he was going to win the battle. Although how was he to know what he’d get? It could be entirely useless to his current goal.

A risk Frey wasn’t sure was worth taking. He didn’t even know the power difference between him and his enemy. Maybe he could win if he played his cards right? Maybe he had a chance?

 If he was going to fight he had to do so while its underlings were dispersed.

Fuck it! Time to gamble!

Without any more hesitation Frey opened the Skills tab and selected “Copper Grade” with a thought. 

_______________________________

< WOULD YOU LIKE TO PROCEED WITH YOUR SPIN >

< YES/NO >

YES!

< ONLY ONE [CLASS] AVAILABLE >

< COMMENCING SPIN FOR THE [DRUID] CLASS >

_____________________________

A wheel appeared, covering his vision. It spun, the colours of Copper, Silver and Gold could be seen along with the radiant, Platinum which took up the least space on the wheel.

Please!Please!Pleeeaasse! Be something good. I’ll even take a cringe ass skill like berserk. Please!

The wheel came to a halt after only a few short seconds, the arrow landing on a space occupied by copper colouration.

Fucking wanker!

__________________________

< OBTAINED SKILL >

Vine Snare 

<Copper I>

Allows the user to call upon nature, trapping any part of them in contact with the ground. Halts the movement of the affected body part for 0.3 seconds. Depending on the strength of the target it may break free.

< Cost: 5 Mana Points >

< Cooldown: NONE >

_____________________________

Fuck me up the arse while ya at it! That is TRASH!

Frey could not believe his luck, he had gambled a bit when he was eighteen, each time he operated at a loss. This would mark the continuation of that bad luck.

Looks like I’m running.

Frey pulled himself up into a crouch. He tried his hardest to shuffle away while remaining aware of the Orthopteran leader below him.

*Ccrraackk*

As if to remind Frey how bad his luck truly was, a branch underfoot snapped under his weight.

His eyes darted towards the Orthopteran, to which it stared straight back at him.

The monster fell into a squat and seemed to prepare itself for a short moment before launching itself clear into the sky.

It vanished from Freys sight for a moment before the flitting of wings alerted him to its location. 

It landed at speed, dust rose in its wake. It was four metres in front of Frey.

“Ah shit!” Frey let out.

Knowing hesitation would lose him his life. Frey held his shovel, prepared to attack. 

He had made sure to keep off the road in order to keep his perk active, he needed as much help as he could get.

The Orthopteran dashed forward, mandibles clattering together as it did. It seemed to be talking to Frey.

“No idea what you’re saying bud.” Frey quipped.

The blade arm of the orthopteran swung downwards as the monsters dash came to an end.

Frey reacted instantaneously, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He held his shovel over his head with both hands blocking the blade. The vibration of the blow reverberating down the shovel into Freys arms.

I need a better weapon, goddamn! He thought to himself briefly.

In a back-step the monster prepared to swing again, this time too fast for Frey to block.

Vine Snare! Vine Snare! Vine Snare! Frey commanded knowing he was out of options, though not even sure that was how the skill worked.

As Frey braced for his imminent impaling, he noticed the vines rising from the ground below hugging the creatures legs.

They had stopped the creatures momentum and in the process limited its reach. The blade had stopped just short of Freys stomach.

“Ha! Fuck you!” He shouted as he swung down with his shovel aiming for the monsters head.

The vines had since gone limp, no longer restricting the creatures movements, allowing the Orthopteran to jump backwards and evade the strike.

Oh Shit!

Frey wasn’t prepared to stop his swing and instead hit the ground, the vibrations again bouncing through his bones.

I fucking hate this thing!

The Orthopteran swung its sword-arm in a show of skill, then taking advantage of Freys blunder charged once more.

Channeling the only memory he had retained from a parkour class he took when he was fifteen Frey rolled to the side. An awkward clang from his shovel against the ground rung out as he did.

He had rolled dangerously close to the edge of the bank, if he had overshot he would be tumbling downhill, most likely to his death. 

The Orthopteran altered trajectory rapidly, once more charging for Frey, its legs providing it with inhuman speed. Its sword swing though no faster than the average human.

Frey blocked this time with ease, the trajectory of the swing easily readable.

“Looks like someone like to train legs, arms need some work though.” Frey taunted the monster once more.

“Grrraagh!” The creature seemingly furious let out a growl.

Using the creatures anger to his advantage, Frey used Vine Snare again. Staggering the timing of each use prolonging the time the vines held the monster in place.

Frey charged, swinging the shovel sharp side first. This time unlike its weaker brethren the Orthopterans skull didn’t split on impact. Instead all that could be seen was a small crack in its exoskeleton.

Tough little bugger.

Frey swung again. This time though the Orthopteran squatted, dodging the blow and using its powerful legs it jumped high once again.

Glancing upwards Frey surveyed the sky for his enemy. 

“Fuck!” He yelled.

The monster clawed feet could be seen heading straight for Freys face, he rolled once more to dodge.

His enemy landed with a thud, ground cracking slightly underfoot.

Frey felt a stinging sensation, he glanced down to see a gash down his forearm. A second later his vision clouded over in one eye. He rubbed at it, blood had coated his hand. 

Thats gonna leave a nasty scar.

“Sneaky cunt! Ya got me!”

“Huhuhuhu!” The monster let out what could only be interpreted as a laugh.

Frey kicked into overdrive. He took advantage of the monsters smug confidence. 

He once again used Vine Snare in succession.

Blood muddied his vision once again but that didn’t delay his enraged charge.

The creature readied itself for another leap in order to break free.

Just short of the Orthopterans take off Frey arrived within attack range.

He swung, this time not towards the head. He had realised he didn’t have enough strength to do serious damage, this time he swung at the creatures knee joint.

As the shovel made contact a crack could be heard, its leg buckling in response. 

The enemy collapsed to the ground, its leg broken, and in an instant Frey began calling upon his vines to wrap the creatures body.

Dozens of green tendrils cracked through the earth covering the Orthopterans downed body. 

Frey took his chance and began delivering a barrage of blows to the monsters head. He swung over and over again while simultaneously making sure to keep the vines coming. 

Fragments of exoskeleton flew into the air, clanging rang out through the forest, green blood began to seep from its skull.

Many, many swings later Frey finally received a notification.

_____________________________

< Orthopteran Swordsman (Level 4) has been slain >

<  360 EXPERIENCE POINTS GAINED >

< BONUS >

< ADDITIONAL 60% EXPERIENCE REWARDED DUE TO DIFFERENCE IN LEVEL >

< TOTAL >

<  576 EXPERIENCE POINTS GAINED >

< CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE LEVELLED UP >

< YOU ARE NOW [LEVEL 2] >

< CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE LEVELLED UP >

< YOU ARE NOW [LEVEL 3] >

< YOU HAVE [10] UNALLOCATED [STAT POINTS] >

< YOU HAVE [2] UNALLOCATED [SKILL POINT] >

_____________________________

“That’s right! Fuck you bitch!” Frey yelled as he collapsed to his knees.

Sitting there in a daze, unaware of what was to come.

6