Chapter 39
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey, apologies for being absent and not posting recently. My body decided I needed to have some rest and invoked the best known remedy to stop someone from working - the headache. 😅

Among stuff, but I'm better now and here we go again. A new chapter of Rockin's adventurer is here.

 

“Come on, cook faster.” I was being impatient because of how hungry I was. “Damn it.”

I was as the Guardian Tree’s place, roasting two pieces of Carnabbit meat on the fire. I wished I could’ve taken some monster rabbit meat with me, but the meat disappears after about an hour if not used before then. I was about to curse again, but then a sudden realization struck me.

“Hey, hold on, Savirei serves Carnabbit meat dishes. That means she must be able to store them for a longer period of time.” I spoke out loud. “Ok, I need to ask her how she does it when I get back, but first
”

I turned the meat on the fire to have it cook more evenly. I knew eating poorly cooked meat will only backfire on my stomach. I braced myself to wait a while longer even if the smell of the meat was making my smell senses go into an overdrive. It was late already, so after the meal, I climbed up the Guardian Tree to enjoy a nice sleep in my self-made hammock. I felt unexplainably comfortable sleeping in it.

The next day, I went to do what I came here for. I took out the fur and the strings in order to make that mantle for the old barber. I wouldn’t have agreed to do it if I knew what the pay was in advance, but the old man gave me a haircut and a shave, so I owed him that much.

It didn’t take me that long to craft the mantle. I was surprised by it myself, actually. The longest part was running to the Iron Thorns Wall to make holes inside the fur, but once I got that part done, sewing the fur together was easy.

Right, I better eat good before going back. I hid the mantle at the top of the tree, where my other stashes with the monster drops were and went to get some monster rabbit meat.

I burped loudly after the meal. I had no reason to stick around now that the path out of this place was open. Before leaving however, I decided to take majority of my loot with me. Arny said the wooden pieces from the rotten trees might sell good and I had a good amount of them. Unfortunately, I couldn’t carry two storage chests with me, so I had to leave some stuff behind. I chose to leave the fur for the most part. If need be, I could always go farm some on the first floor of the dungeon.

Ok, let’s stick to the wall again. I turned right as soon as I was out of the Secret Area.

I had the oversized storage chest thrown on my back. I used spider strings and fur pieces to attach additional straps to the box, so I could carry it on my back. Of course, I had to hold the Lizardman Champion’s Shield in my left hand while carrying the chest, but it wasn’t a problem. I reached the entrance to the second floor of the dungeon in about two hours and then proceeded through the spooky spider infested forest to get out of it too. I thought I’ll get out from the dungeon uneventfully, but I was wrong. I had an encounter with a group of adventurers which ended not in a way I expected it would.

“Hey there.” A male adventurer approached me.

I was just going my way when I noticed a group of people some distance away. Remembering what Emmy said about other adventurers I decided to walk past without bothering them. However, the group felt like bothering me instead.

“Hello.” I turned to face the man. From how he looked, and the equipment he had, I assumed he was of a similar level and rank as Emmy and her group were.

“Excuse me, but
 we’ve noticed you walking here and became worried.” The man gave me a sweet smile.

“Worried? About what?” I couldn’t understand why he would be worried about me.

“Well, you are by yourself here and it is dangerous with all the Halluspiders in the forest.” He told me.

“Oh, that. I’ll be fine.” I just shrugged it off, about to be on my way.

“Hey, that’s a nice stash of monster drops you have there.” But the man stopped me as soon as I turned my back to him. He was able to see what was inside the oversized storage box on my back.

“Yeah, well
 Sorry, I’m in a rush.” I didn’t have time for his useless talks. Unfortunately, he wasn’t about to let me go. One of his buddies blocked my path, his sword pointing at my face.

“Sorry friend, but would you mind leaving your stash on the ground?” The guy pointing a sword told me.

“That’s a crappy sword you have there. You know that, right?” I quickly noticed it wasn’t that great of a sword. And if I could tell it was bad, it meant the sword was definitely bad.

“Shut up!” The man yelled, ticked off by my words. “Are you an idiot or something? Put the stash on the ground and beat it, if you value your life that is.”

“Do you?” I glared at him, unfazed by his threats.

“Tch
 you
” He grunted.

“Ahahaha!” The first guy started laughing maniacally. “That’s a good one. You must be totally new to this if you don’t understand what is going on here.”

“You think? Let me guess. You saw me carrying something on my back and since I was by myself, you thought you’ll rob me. Am I right?” I asked calmly.

“Huh? Ahaha!” The man was a little surprised at first, but then laughed again before becoming very serious the next moment. “I like you. You’re really funny. But listen here, there’s four of us and all of us are level five. As funny as you think you are, this is your last warning. Leave the goods and scram.”

People in here really love to throw their levels around. I couldn’t understand why it was such a big deal. I was at level three and was able to beat a guy who was at level eight.

“Level five? So? I’m level three and I don’t care.” I wanted to leave, but I couldn’t. I was now surrounded by all four of them.

“L
 level three? Ahahaha! You are a real imbecile! Why would you say that to someone who is higher level than you?” The same man asked in between the laughs.

“Because I don’t care if you’re level five or level ten. I don’t have time to deal with you. So, how about you make way, so I could leave?” I said in a half threatening voice this time.

“Say what?” The men glared at me.

I wasn’t so dumb not to understand what was going on here. A group of some numbskulls wanted to rob me, but I wasn’t about to let them have my loot I worked so hard and for so long to get. Besides, I wasn’t really scared of them. Flashing their levels in front me wasn’t about to intimidate me. However, a small thought creeped inside my head. People loved boasting about their levels and higher-level adventurers were definitely looking down on the lower ones. Even if I could deal with someone who was above my level, it didn’t mean I wouldn’t encounter a person who might be stronger than I was eventually. I needed to learn more about the levels and how they impacted one’s strength.

“Listen here- Bhaaah!” One of the men was about to grab me by my shirt, but I smacked his hand with my Piercing Shield, probably breaking his wrist bones as a result too. “Aaah! You
 you broke my wrist!”

“Get him!” The one in charge pulled out his weapon.

“Shield.” I blocked one incoming attack and then swung at the man who had his guard down, bashing my Piercing Shield into his face and blowing him away.

“Why you!” Another one charged me, his mace raised high.

With all their yells and shouts, they weren’t much of a challenge in the end. If anything, they were more or less as strong as Emmy’s group. Maybe slightly stronger, but it didn’t make that big of a difference. A short while later, they were the ones begging me for their lives. Living in the closed in Secret Area for so long must’ve made me think more about my own survival and less about what happens to someone else. I didn’t use my Attack Skill: Shield during the fight, but I knocked one of the four guys good. I doubted he will make it if they didn’t have a way to heal him. Not that I cared really.

“S
 sorry. Please, spare us.” The guy who was acting tough a moment ago was begging for his life.

“And what if I don’t?” I glared at him.

“We didn’t know you were at such a high level, we
 we didn’t mean to.” He tried to explain himself, but it just made me sick hearing his excuses.

“Tch
” I spit on the ground, disgusted by his words. Then an idea struck my head.

“Eek!” The guy covered his face when I reached to pull him up. “Huh? Whaaa!”

I then pushed him into the tree and he got stuck on the super glue spiderweb on it. The spider didn’t come down, probably because they have killed the Halluspiders around this area before I came, but it didn’t matter. I went and did the same to the other men as well, glueing them to two different spiderwebs, leaving the one unconscious lying on the ground. Luckily for all of them, no spiders came down.

“H
hey! You can’t leave us here like that!” One of the men complained as I turned to leave.

“You would’ve done the same to me, if I was still alive that is.” I grunted, walking off right after.

Idiots. Humph
 I grunted, angry about the incident.

The super glue spiderwebs were tough, but if it was me, I would be able to free myself without too much trouble. I knew they’ll be able to get unstuck in no time, but I wanted to slow them down, so I could make enough distance between us just in case they decide to come after me again. I didn’t want to fight them, because if they caught up with me and we did, I’d probably kill them.

Leaving the dungeon was a bliss. I managed to find the way out faster than when I was coming down. I ran into two more groups of adventurers, but they didn’t bother me. Some of them waved at me from a distance as I was passing by and I waved back, returning the gesture. I felt better knowing there were some decent adventurers out there as well.

Once I was back in town, I went to report my Quest of crafting a mantle as complete, but the clerk at the reception told me I had to take the item to the person who posted the Quest, receive his confirmation that I had done it and then return to the Guild to report it. I had no choice but to do as I was told. The old barber was ecstatic to see me craft the mantle in such a short amount of time. Honestly, I simply wanted to get it done and be done with it. A happy customer and a few extra silvers in my pocket later, I reported my Quest to the Guild, banking a few Quest points too.

The next thing to do was to sell the load of the wooden pieces and spider strings that I had with me. Unfortunately, I had no idea who to sell them to. In addition, I was feeling hungry and it was getting late too. As cumbersome as it was, I had to carry the oversized storage box with me to Savirei’s diner. She was overly happy to see me, even if she was surprised to see the loot I brought with me.

“My, my, that’s quite a cache of goods you’ve got there with you, handsome.” Savirei squinted her eyes, seeing me place a box on the floor full of monster drops. The box was well made to keep the stuff inside from falling out, but you could still see what was inside.

“Yeah, I’m still new to this city and don’t know any trustworthy merchants who would give me a fair price for these.” I honestly didn’t.

“I could take some of those off of you if you’d like?” She asked slyly.

“You
 need spider strings?” I wondered what she would use them for.

“No, not the strings, the Lesser Trent wood. They burn exceptionally well and for a long time too. Perfect for keeping steady heat when I cook. I promise to give you a fair price for them.” Savirei was very sweet, but seeing I didn’t say anything she added. “I could recommend a blacksmith who would be willing to buy the rest of the Lesser Trent wood from you.”

“Like that inn you recommended?” The words just flew out of my mouth.

“Aah, I probably deserved that.” She giggled. “But I thought Navirei would’ve made up for the misunderstanding her worker had caused?”

Navirei? Why does that sound similar to her own name? I couldn’t miss that detail.

“Sorry
 I hadn’t visited that inn since then and
 I had a rough encounter with some numbskulls who wanted to lighten my load when I was coming back from the dungeon.” I realized an apology was in order.

“That’s ok. We all have bad days.” Savirei smiled, letting me know my apology was accepted. “So, about the Lesser Trent wood?”

“Right, how many do you need?” I asked.

“I’d say three or four.” She made it sound she wasn’t sure.

“Here you go.” I took out four pieces for her.

“That is most generous of you. Let me just go get the payment for you.” She was happy to get the wood. I watched her walk away, her hips moving just like any other woman’s would. The amazing thing to see was her tail wiggling from one side to the other as she walked, adding to the sexy motions of her hips. I tried to accept the fact, but seeing beastfolk was still a totally new experience for me.

Hmph
 I should’ve ordered the food as well. I grunted when my stomach growled, but now I had to wait for Savirei to come back.

“Here you go, handsome.” Savirei placed one silver and two bronze coins on the table for me.

One silver and two bronze? So
 if one silver is ten bronze coins then
 that makes three bronze coins for a single wood piece. That’s not bad, I guess. I was doing calculations in my head.

“Thank you. Now, can I order some food, please?” I wanted to eat, but remembered to be polite about it.

“But of course. Roasted Carnabbit meat, I presume? Or would you like something more
 spicier?” The way she asked it made me think she wasn’t talking entirely about spices.

“What else do you have?” I felt intrigued.

“We have Rhaki’s meat as well. It has a little more
 flavor, but is more expensive as well.” She told me, wondering if I be interested.

“Sure, I’ll try it.” I didn’t ask how much it cost, because I doubted it would be that much expensive.

“Just to let you know, it is much more nutritious than Carnabbit meat, so I would advice only half a portion. It is a genuine concern, not a bet.” Savirei explained, adding a smile.

“Yeah, ok.” I hummed the answer, smiling back.

“It will take some time to prepare. May I offer something to drink in the meantime?” She offered.

“Just water will be fine.” I told her.

“Non-drinker, are we?” Savirei asked, narrowing her gaze at me.

“Drinking on an empty stomach is bad practice.” I smiled.

“Of course. What was I thinking?” She chuckled before leaving my table. “If you excuse me.”

It’s not that I was against drinking, but I had bad memories about the last time I drank and my stomach was really empty too.

 

★━━━━━━━━━★

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment and favorite the chapter if you enjoyed it. Apologies in advance if you find a weird sounding phrase or a grammar error. These are draft chapters after all.

Read 10+ extra chapters on my Patreon (including the artwork not available anywhere else) – Extra Chapters on Patreon

★━━━━━━━━━★

Extra thanks to nonomo4 and Lynderyn for extra support and help.

2