Chapter 133 Cream
192 8 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Allana was such a mortal. They always get stuck looking at things on such small scales. I have always thought that they undervalue… Everything really. When you live to see things change over millions of years you see an animal den change the course of rivers. And missing spirits was much more important than a muskrat hole. “My friends are the spirits that watch over these woods and they were kidnapped.” From the look on her face it did not seem like the importance of this really sank in. “Have you ever been to another forest before? Did you notice any difference?”

 

She thought for a moment and then said. “I went to the woods on the far side of the Franklin Dukedom once.” I really don’t think she got the name right but I was not going to correct her. “I did not notice much difference.”

 

Of course the only other forest that she has been to had a dryad. How was I supposed to explain the importance of spirits to her now? “No, you would not notice much difference in those woods. They are also watched over by a dryad. But if you think back you might have noticed that there were fewer animals in that forest and they would not have been as healthy. Spirits bring life and vitality.” At this statement, I caused a nearby bush to flourish and bloom as if it was spring. Bay gasped appreciatively. “A corrupt magician has kidnapped the water and animal spirits from this forest. I have asked Istan, along with our other companions, to help get them back. If we do not get them back, these woods will become much like any other.” I released the veins of power feeding the bush’s out-of-season transformation, and pulled the energy out of its leaves. It quickly returned to its dormant winter state. We stood in silence for a moment, watching the leaves fall from its branches.

 

I really did not want to stay on such a heavy topic so I quickly changed back to my original point. “I feel sorry for taking your husband and father from you. Is there some way I can make it up to you?”

 

Allana’s eyes started to water, “Why do you have to steal my husband? You have said that twice now. Do you have to rub it in? I know I do not stand a chance compared to you. But…” 

 

“I don’t want to steal your husband,” I said in confusion.

 

“But you keep saying that you are taking him from me!” Allana started to cry for real. The noise of her sobbing voice attracted the attention of the others. Emily and Leafia were now standing at the door of the house watching the events unfold. Though I noticed Gray inching further away, clearly wanting to stay out of this. 

 

“Allana, it's not like that,” Istan tried to plead with her but she just glowered at him. Then she turned her glare at me.

 

“I know Istan practically worships you and would do almost anything you said. But do you really want a man that worships the smell of your sweat?”

 

A shudder ran down my back at the thought of Istan burying his face in my dirty clothes. I was so glad I gave that dress to Lefia. I did not seem to be the only one that took damage from Allana’s words as I saw Istan flinch. 

 

“You are taking my love away from me. Sure he is obsessive and strange, but we have been together for a century!”

 

It seemed like Allana was building up energy. She was a little rockslide starting to build up, gathering more rocks to hurl down the hillside. There was only one way I knew to end this. I wanted to give Istan an apologetic look but I did not dare for fear of what Allana might think it meant. 

 

“Allana, I just need Istan’s help for a few more weeks. There is no way in millions of years I could ever find myself attracted to someone who thinks everywhere I step should be enshrined. I only want him for his bow and his knife.”

 

Istan had taken even more damage now but there was no bitterness in his eyes. He seemed to have known that his sacrifice was needed for the greater good and made peace with his fate. 

 

The tumble of rocks that was Allana’s emotions lost some momentum as my words sank in. “You are not trying to steal Istan from me?” She asked as if not trusting that she had heard me right.

 

“I will never and have never had a single romantic thought about Istan.” I don’t think I have had any romantic thoughts at all, but I did not want to admit that out loud. 

 

Allana calmed down enough to process my words. “You mean you were not trying to seduce my husband.”

 

I sighed to myself. It looked like this was finally resolved. “I only need his help getting my friends back. The thought of seducing him has never crossed my mind. And I promise that it will not going forward.”

 

Instead of looking relieved like I thought she would she seemed offended. “What, is Istan not good enough for you? I think he is a very attractive man and I am lucky enough to have him. I can not believe that you would not-”

 

“-Mother! Stop!” Bay said, pulling hard on her mother’s sleeve. Her face was fiery red from embarrassment. Allana paused after being yelled at from an unexpected direction. “If you don’t want her taking father why are you trying to convince her he is a good man?” It almost felt like steam was coming out of Bay’s ears.

 

Leafy standing at the doorway suppressed a laugh at what was going on. I was not sure if I should join her or start to cry at the absurdity of it all. Allana must have been convinced by her daughter’s words because after turning slightly pink she gave a little bow and said, “I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have talked to you first before I started to accuse you.”

 

“I understand,” I said as diplomatically as I could. “You have been under a lot of strain since I have taken… borrowed your husband.” I was afraid that I might have set her off again with my word slip but she seemed to not have noticed. “I really want to give you more time with him, but time is critical right now. We need to be heading out this morning. Please say your goodbyes while we pack the horses.”

 

I turned away from the elven family and headed to Emily and Leafy at the door. “Are we all ready to go?” I whispered to them once I was sure Istan would not be able to overhear. Emily and Leafy nodded affirmatively. I turned around to see Istan was giving his wife a hug. I waited a minute to see if they were going to separate. It did not seem like that was going to be happening. It did not take long after all of us started watching them for Bay to start pulling on their sleeves trying to get them to stop. Seeing that they would not even notice their daughter’s pleading, I finally realized that their embrace might never end if I did not speak up. “Let me know when you two are done. I would like to be heading out before nightfall.” Finally separating they looked at us sheepishly.

 

It seemed Gray wanted to spare them some discomfort since he walked over with the readied horses and spoke up before the awkward silence could grow. “So do you know which way we should be heading?”

 

That was a good question. I had not checked in two days. “To the south I think. But I should check before we head out.” I reached to the ground and sent a pulse of power through the earth. I made sure to not punch the ground this time since I did not want to damage Emily’s garden. It did not take long for the soil to start to churn as mother earth rose out of the ground. 

 

One she had formed her body she looked around at the garden and then frowned. “You summoned me in front of mortals?”

 

“Saying that I summoned you makes it sound like I forced you to come. I called nicely this time.” I said trying to give a better impression than I did at the pond. Terra was helping me out. I should play nicely. “These are my companions that have accompanied me on my journey. Since I was going to be with them everyday they would have met you at some point.”

 

“You are taking a child on to fight that crazy magician?” She looked at me skeptically.

 

“No, they are not coming with me,” I explained in haste pointing and Bay and her mom. Then added, “Their husband and father has been with me since I first left to find Faun. I thought at least letting them meet you might make up in a small way for what I have put their family through.”

 

Terra seemed oddly pleased by my explanation and turned to them with a smile. “How about we get these people on the road. The sprite they are looking for is weak and needs their help. Once they are gone we can talk. I have been wondering what Alga-” Hearing Terra use that name I sent a wave of energy through the ground. “--I mean Laurel has been up to. I want to know about living in her woods.”

 

She then looked at me and said, “You should start moving. Mist covered a lot of land yesterday. Take the south road along the edge of the woods for today.” 

 

It seemed like that was all I was going to get from Terra today. But that was more help than I thought possible so I was not going to complain. 

 

I looked at my companions to see shocked expressions on all their faces. “Do not worry about it,” I said to Istan who seemed to want to join his wife and daughter talking to Terra. “We will be able to see her again. Every morning, even. By the end I think you will be as tired with her as you are with me.”

 

“I would never tire of you,” Istan proclaimed, clearly affronted by the thought. Allana did not seem too pleased with Istan’s remark. Her eyes were practically boring through him.  

 

I left Istan stammering to his wife as I went to untie my horse. Istan might have chopped off his own branches, but I got the smile I hoped for from the girls at least before they all hurried off to do the final checks of their gear. Am I just assuming that they are smiling at my joke and not Istan’s suffering?

 

Only a few days late this time. Does that count as on time?

Reason that the chapter was late
  • My dog ate my chapter Votes: 1 5.9%
  • My dog ate my editor Votes: 6 35.3%
  • perfection takes time Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I really should work on-- oooh Shiny........ What was I doing? Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I discovered this new thing called Youtube Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A chapter is never late, nor is it early. It always arrives precisely when it means to. Votes: 4 23.5%
Total voters: 17
5