Chapter 140 Flood
242 7 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Tide came to help? “But…” Her face fell a little at my objection. I was about to say that I told her not to help. But I remembered what I really told her was that she would not be able to follow us. I never said I did not want her help. Instinctively I was going to reject her help just for the principle of it. I have been resisting Tide’s smothering attention for millennia. Opening the door once again for her to lecture me on everything sounded odious. But if putting my own pride and disagreements with Tide aside would make the difference in getting Faun and Mist back, it really was not that hard to swallow. 

 

Tide was one of the few spirits stronger than me. Even this far from the ocean she was nothing to frown at. I could not believe there was any way for Maximus to overpower both of us. Surely he would have to focus all his attention on one of us letting the other one of us act freely.

 

Thinking of how much easier things would be with her help, I swallowed (my pride included) and said, “Please lend me a hand in getting my friends back.” I bowed my head to her a little trying to show sincerity. 

 

When I looked back up a huge smile had spread over her face. This is the happiest I had seen her in a long time. “I would be happy to help. Faun is my friend, too, after all.” Tide’s smile continued and was hard to look at. It almost felt like she was glowing so bright that she was in danger of waking up the others. 

 

Wanting to distract her from her elation I spoke again. “You have not introduced me to your companion here.” The other naiad was still staring at the two of us in disbelief. I really wonder what, if anything, Tide had told her.  

 

“Yes, let me introduce you.” Tide was still smiling but it was no longer blinding. “This is Flood. She is the naiad of this river. And Flood, this is Laurel, the Forest Mother.” A look of realization spread over Flood’s face. I guess Tide really did not tell her anything. It was not surprising that she would be shocked if she thought that some random dryad was talking to mother sea that way. 

 

“It is nice to meet you Flood. It did seem a little odd that the town was set so far back from the river, but judging by your name I take it that the river rises often.” I smiled at her. I am sure it was not as shining as Tide’s still was, but I should at least try.  

 

Flood gave a little nod and then the young naiad spoke up, “It is nice to meet you.” Her voice was soft and smooth, almost scared. It matched her fragile looking figure well. She was tall and slender with subtle curves, just enough to make it clear she was a woman. Her brown hair had a slight blue tint to it much like the river that she was still standing in. She could nearly pass for a mortal but most would mistake her for a round eared elf with her figure. Just like all spirits her ears were too short for an elf but too long for a human. 

 

Tide, on the other hand, was not going to look mortal any time soon. Her hair was clear blue. But that was not the most fatal flaw in the disguise.  Right now she had not even formed a body of flesh but instead her body was a slightly clearer blue than her hair. On top of that, her transparent raiment little to hide her just as watery figure. 

 

Well, it was time to move from this open position. “Please come into our campsite. My companions will be waking up soon. And I do not think we should be in sight of the town until we are ready to head across the river.” Then looking once again at Tide’s outfit I added. “We are going to be walking among unknown mortals today. I think it would be best if you dress in something less sheer.” Tide shrugged, clearly not caring if she was seen like that. I fully understood her. Mortals were too fussy over clothing. But, I did not think broadcasting we were spirits that loudly was a great idea. We already stood out enough with our hair. Also this might distract Gray, he did seem to get flustered easily. 

 

“We don’t want to alert Maximus that we are coming.” Even from the little experience Tide has had with mortals I knew she was aware that appearance mattered. She sighed and deepened the shade of her clothing and skin to resemble mortal hues. Her hair, while no longer transparent, remained a deep blue. But without her sleeping in different colored water, there wasn’t much to be done about that. I thought I heard her grumbling about looking better the other way, but I chose to ignore the comment. Especially since there was part of me that agreed with her.

 

Though neither of the naiads questioned my motives in heading to the camp, Flood was reluctant to leave her home. She seemed afraid to step out of the water. I could understand her desire to stay in her river, but we would only be a few dozen paces from her waters and I had to think she would still be getting more than enough energy to sustain herself. Even I did not hesitate that much to leave my pond for the first time in 500 years. Actually, I am probably not the best example. Most would think sitting in one spot for 500 years to avoid some pests was a bit excessive, too. In the end it did not take much persuasion from Tide so it must not have been that big of an issue. 

 

Once we made it through the trees, Tide and I took a seat around the remnants of the fire from last night. Flood was hovering around the edge of the clearing. Her eyes lingered warily over the tents housing my sleeping companions. 

 

“Don’t worry, they won't bite,” I said in a whisper. She would be too far from me to hear if she was mortal, but Naiads have nearly as good hearing as dryads. She slowly walked to where Tide and I were sitting to join us. However, her eyes still frequently glanced over to the tents. “Since you seem so nervous around humans, I am guessing that you have also had a run in with the madman in this town here.” 

 

She shook her head a little. But it was not the shake of “no.” More like she did not want to think about it. “He poisoned my waters once. I could not move for weeks until I was washed out to the ocean.” She looked over to Tide seeming to be apologetic for running into her domain. Tide did not say anything but patted her on the back, so she continued. “Eventually the poison ran out of my system. But I haven’t been this close to… not since….” Flood trailed off.

 

After a few moments of silence, Tide asked, “Do you have any plans on how to get Faun and Mist back?” 

 

“Does going up and asking for them back count as a plan?” I said sheepishly.

 

A peal of laughter escaped Tide’s mouth. This caused several of those that were sleeping to stir. I held up my hands trying to get her to stop. It seemed like she got the message because she covered her mouth turning her laughter into silent giggles. But the damage was already done, my companions were stirring and would likely be fully awake soon. 

 

“Do you really think that has any chance of success?” Tide asked once she had calmed down enough.

 

“No, I really don’t. But I thought it was worth a try before I tear down the walls and pull them out. For some reason I seem to have a very bad reputation among humans.” I said, thinking of the few stories that remained of me. 

 

“Can you really blame them? The last time a human saw you, you buried their whole village in vines,” Tide provided. 

 

I looked at Tide in surprise. “How-”

 

“-That was you!” Flood interrupted my words with excitement. I could only nod. “Several villages along that river have stories and traditions of planting ivy on their walls in tribute.”

 

“Why would they pay tribute to an evil spirit who ravaged their village?” I asked incredulously. But Tide and Flood could only shrug. It really did not make sense. “But how do you even know about that?” I asked looking at Tide and finishing my earlier question. 

 

“Faun and I have had a few good laughs about it over the years,” She replied with a smile not too unlike what I saw on Lillian’s face when she was telling us stories about her daughter that the other would not want us to hear. 

 

The daughter's reaction now made so much sense. The only thing I could really do was roll my eyes and let out a humph. Back when we were in Yana I thought Camilla’s reactions were exaggerated and much more than was called for, but now I think she was showing remarkable restraint. 

 

“Do you have any better ideas?” I diverted the conversion back to the topic we were supposed to be discussing.

 

“I would just flood the place and then get Faun and Mist,” Tide said with a shrug. 

 

“That is even worse than my idea. We can’t wipe out a whole village because of one man. And what if Faun was trapped in a basement? She would be the first to drown,” I retorted.

 

“We can just ask Terra where she is?” Tide said reaching to the ground getting ready to call Terra.

 

“Just wait, Tide. We should wait until everyone is ready.” I quickly grabbed Tide’s arm just like Leafia did to me yesterday.

 

“Well what are they doing then, let's get ready.” Tide shot scowling glances at the tents of my companions. 

 

“They are still sleeping.” I explained the obvious, “Even you should know what happens to mortals if they do not get enough sleep. It should only be a little longer until they are up. Just let them rest.”

 

I am back. I have been working hard on the chapters (in between having to work Overtime) and I am almost ready (still a few weeks away) for the mass release. I have finished writing and now am working on editing. 

I wanted to get this chapter out so that you would all know that I am still alive. There may be one or two more before I do the big one.

5