Chapter 142 It’s still good/A change of plans
397 13 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The awkward silence continued to hang in the air as Lefia served the food. With nothing else to do I was able to pay attention to breakfast. Leafia was right, the taste of the food had not been hurt by the lack of attention. But I had noticed as she was serving, there was a thick caked-on layer on the bottom of the pot that someone would need to spend a significant effort to get off. I thought about offering to help but I think I would be more likely to punch a hole in the bottom of the pot than to get the food residue off. 

 

Emily and Gray came back shortly after the rest of us had started to eat. Complex emotions were on both of their faces. However, neither of them seemed particularly upset which was a good thing. 

 

We finished our meal in silence, not knowing how we were going to broach the subject of Emily’s pregnancy and how it affected our plans. She should stay here at camp. Our concern for her would make her a liability in a fight. Especially Gray’s concern. Or at least that is what I was worried about. I could not tell about the others. Though from the look on Flood’s face I think she was just more worried about being here with mortals.

 

It was not until after we had all finished eating that Emily broke the silence. “Um, Laurel, I hate to do this to you but I think I should stay back at camp.” She spoke hesitantly looking at the ground. I let out a big breath, as I had been trying to think of a way to politely ask her to do exactly as she suggested. With her making that decision on her own, I did not need to find a way to make her stay without hurting our friendship. This was a weight taken off my shoulders. 

 

But Emily did not seem to take my heavy breath that way. “I know you're probably upset. I have come all this way promising to help and just when you need me the most I back out. But really, if you just think about it, I will not be any help. I do not know the first thing about fighting like Leafy and the guys. Or have strong powers like you and Tide. I will not be any help and will just get in the way.”

 

Did she just say that I did not know the first thing about fighting? Does she have such little faith in me? One does not get to be as old as I am without learning some things. No, that is not what is important right now. “Emily, I am not mad,” I said, trying to brush aside the unintended insult and give her a smile, “I was working on ways to try and convince you to stay behind.” I noticed a few other shoulders lose tension as Emily and I both agreed on the course of action. Looking around at the group, I continued, “If it was not for Maximus’s ability to hurt spirits I would ask all of you to stay here. But since I can’t do this without help, we just need to figure out who should stay with Emily.”

 

Emily seemed concerned at my last words. “We can’t have anyone stay with me. You need all their help when you face Maximus.  The only reason I am staying behind is that I am no good in a fight.”

 

“That is exactly the reason we need someone to stay with you,” I replied. “I am not about to leave you alone right next to our enemy’s fort without anyone to protect you.” I looked around at my companions. Gray seemed greatly relieved at my words and Leafia gave a nod of consent. Istan’s ‘always do what the Forest Mother wants’ side seemed to have won out. Let’s give Istan the benefit of the doubt. I am feeling generous after the relief of having Emily agree to stay back so easily, so I will assume that his desire to protect the mother and child was his main concern. “So, who will stay?” Silence once again fell over our company. 

 

“I think Flood should stay with Emily,” Tide supplied out of the blue, to which Flood herself was notably shocked. Tide looked over at the other naiad, clearly not understanding what the issue was. “I don’t think you wanted to go with us to confront Maximus?” Flood vehemently shook her head no. “Then what is the issue? You are more than strong enough to deal with the unsavory few mortals who might cross your path.”

 

“But I… Uh…” Flood did not seem to be able to put words to what she wanted to say. But the way she was looking at Emily hesitantly was more than enough to get her point across. 

 

“You have felt it yourself. She is one of us, not a mortal. You don’t need to be so nervous around her,” Tide reinforced, not giving Flood a chance to back out. Tide was in one of her overpowering riptide moods, stubborn and sure that she could not be wrong. I felt bad for Flood getting the brunt of Tide’s pressure, but I also didn’t want to step in the way and get swept off by her current. I thought that if Tide could convince Flood to stay with Emily today that would be the best outcome. But I did not think I would add anything by getting involved. 

 

A harsh scraping noise took my attention away from Tide and Flood’s back and forth. I looked over to the source of the sound and saw Leafia chiseling away at the bottom of the pot. It seems that while we had been talking Leafia had started the tedious task of scouring away the caked-on disaster. “Oh, let me do that,” Emily said, pulling the pot away from Leafia. Apparently she was also distracted by the source of this repugnant noise. “You need to get heading out and I have all day to get this clean.” Emily’s smile faded quickly as she got a good look at the bottom of the pot. “Maybe you can take over again when you are back. I don’t think I will be done by then,” I heard her add in an undertone as she started to scrub.

 

Leafia on the other hand was not about to let this chance to escape from the drudgery pass. She quickly got up and started organizing her gear. “Do we need anything but our hunting gear?”

 

“I would bring some trail food for mid day, but I think we should travel light,” I said. “Gray and Istan, please get ready also. I want to head out as soon as Flood and Tide work things out.” The background conversation between the two naiads had not finished yet but I could see Flood was caving. I guess I should finish my own preparations. I did some quick searching in the underbrush and found a few acorns and some other seeds and put them into a pocket that I had formed on my side. Was there anything else I needed?

 

One more chapter after this one until the big release. I am getting really close to being ready for it. And I should now have more time IRL.

6