Exception (85)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Exception?” Hearing this, she couldn’t help but repeat what he said.

Hearing her confusion, the one to answer was Joe himself, “An exception is someone that is protected by the city. Someone that may or may not have any mana. As for me, I am someone that hasn’t become a graded being. However, in terms of status, we are above you.”

Seeing the confused expression continue to worsen, Saleh wasn’t surprised. Azeban had been going on for close to forty minutes. That entire time, besides the nonsense, he repetitively talked about how the strong were preyed upon by the weak. It gave one a terrible impression of the city, only this was better than having to experience that yourself.

Understanding why she was confused, he spoke up, “The city doesn’t have any official exceptions. Instead, it is an unofficial status. Much in line with the city. Joe is related to a blacksmith who lives here. They have the power and status high enough that if anyone messes with their people… Well, let’s just say that officially you can attack or even kill Joe. The city wouldn’t lift a finger, in the same way that when the person who comes for you will not have any restrictions.”

“It is an accepted quid pro quo, some people are called exceptions and are not to be touched. In exchange, you can expect the same from those above you. In essence, if you stay in the northeast, all you have to do is worry about other Grade E and F. While all but Grade F’s can come here, they won’t stir up trouble so long as you don’t provoke them.”

Pausing for a second, Azeban continued, “But don’t worry. You two are special. Even knowing who you’re connected with, nobody will protect you.”

There was an endless amount of mirth in his voice. Quickly laughing, he soon disappeared, as if he had never been standing there to begin with. Neither Saleh nor Leo had seen him disappear. She didn’t bother to understand why that was something to be happy about.

Smiling helplessly, Saleh consoled her, “It is fine. While nobody will protect us, I don’t think we need anyone’s protection. Just being connected to Joe is enough to have a place to call home without anyone daring to stir up trouble.”

Looking over with an impressive expression, Joe just smiled lightly. With his usual tired expression, “I am not that impressive. I am just related to people who are. It isn’t really anything to be proud of. From the way he said it, you should understand that even though you might be connected to someone, their fame or infamy doesn’t have much to do with you. In the end, people won’t mess with me not because they’re scared of my relative, it is more likely they fear not being able to get items from them.”

As he was saying this, he turned and started to walk towards a distant building, “I have a number of openings. Normally, I have a strict policy of who I allow in. Because of this, it is rather quiet. Been a bit of a drought in terms of good people. In addition to those that had been staying before have advanced. So besides Saleh, you will be the only other addition.”

Hearing this, she saw a smile on Saleh’s face. While knowing, she might regret she couldn’t keep her curiosity at bay, “Don’t you usually have a strict policy? I can’t imagine, I have simply passed by doing nothing at all. For all you could know, I am a terrible person.”

Nodding his head, seemingly agreeing with her statements, “Yes, normally that is. However, you had the luck of being surrounded by good people. Well, in terms of those, you could have been introduced with. As for how good they are as people, I am sure you are as clear about that as I am.”

Expecting more questions, he spoke up before she could ask, “Why don’t we head inside, and I will explain.”

Standing in front of a sturdy looking building. It was hard to describe the city architecture. Coming in, they seemed to enter from the Southwest. It was a nice place. In terms of people living, there were just Grade B’s. There were very few people. The buildings were different, and yet the same.

All the buildings she had seen were nicer than in the Northeast, however they were also just as bland. As if every building was built the same way. There was a door, two windows. All of them were made of a gray stone. In the southwest there was more abundance of buildings. From colors ranging from yellow, green, and blue.

The biggest difference was not the colors, most of the buildings were either two story or one. While here, everything was just gray stone. In terms of size, almost all the buildings were five stories. Each floor besides the first floor had a single extra window in place of a door.

The building in front of them was a rare short building with two stories. Stepping inside, she saw a wood floor surrounding a simple living space. “At the ground level is where breakfast and dinner will be served. If you wish to eat, then you must wake up at that time. The same goes for dinner. As for lunch, if you’re not busy, you will need to find that on your own.”

Thinking it over, Joe sat down for a moment, “Ah, since it is just the two of you, you can pick whichever room you like. That mean’s you can both pick window rooms. Even with my connections because of the layout of the city, I can’t allow everyone a window room, sadly.”

Saleh wasn’t in a hurry and sat down peacefully at a table. As Joe had already said they were the only one’s staying, she wasn’t worried. She was more interested in why Joe had decided to let her stay so easily. On the way there she had seen a number of open doors, she could tell without entering that the budget for these buildings was not very high.

Sounds from inside could be heard outside, there was a number of people coming and going. Almost constantly having the door open at one point from one person or another. This part of the city, outside the near deserted southwest, was filled to the brim.

The majority of people gave off Grade F mana. There was a bunch of Grade E mana coming off some others. It was just in terms of numbers, much lower. While inside, it was peaceful. There was a fresh scent coming from somewhere, and there was some type of isolation formations cutting off outside sound.

“So, the reason I agreed so easily with you staying was because…”

0