Red Names (87)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You see, those red names are those that have been evicted from Mercury City. That is to say, if one of those people enter. Regardless of the means used. So long as their name is on the list, they’re considered criminals. If you catch one, you will be given a hundred gold coins. That is enough to pay for a Grade B staying in Mercury City.” Joe spoke slowly and calmly.

Saleh to the side added in a dark tone, “Bounty board is also requests from the Adventurer’s Guild. All the red names, if found inside Mercury City, are wanted dead or alive so long as they’re found in Mercury City. They do investigate, so you’re not allowed to force them into the city while they’re alive or dead.”

Seeing the look on her face, Joe couldn’t help but laugh lightly, “Don’t get confused. To be evicted, you have to fail to leave once you've been told. That is to say, those red names are people who failed to produce the necessary funds, but either they didn’t leave or tried to sneak back in. Once you get kicked out, you’re supposed to stay out for good. In that case, there isn’t any fuss.”

Having come to this point, he made a face. Saleh to the side had a hardened expression on his face, “Well, I forgot one point. Tomorrow you will need to register with the Adventurer’s Guild in northeast district. If you weren’t a member, you will need to become one. If you are, you will be registered with Mercury City.”

“One of the biggest issues with staying in Mercury City is your Adventurer’s Guild status. The most dangerous requests don’t matter. However, there are a lot of requests that can’t be done alone or with a small party. In that case, your status could be called into question. Otherwise, rejected all together.”

Judging from the look on Saleh’s face she could guess something else, “If you fail to meet the requirements. What happens to your Adventurer’s Guild status?”

An ugly smile was on Joe’s face, “It is also revoked. The best you can do is become a mercenary. Adventurer’s Guild doors will forever be closed to you.” Giving her a moment to breathe, “Of course, it isn’t like anybody doesn’t get back in. However, they’re no names, all under Grade D. Anything more than that and no identification can hold up for an investigation.”

Replying with a cold smile, “I am sure those that get found end up worse than those with their name written in red.”

There was a smile on Joe’s face, he didn’t answer and shrugged. The conversation ended in a naturally dismal manner. There were many advantages to be had by being an adventurer. The biggest issue, overall, was not being restricted. Joe never said it out loud, however, reading between the lines. She imagined having your status revoked would mean all guild provided services would also be revoked.

The tone he used to say Adventurer’s Guild door’s being closed. It was said with a heavy heart. It couldn’t be as simple as being kicked out as an adventurer. Most likely being exiled and any service being denied. Including those that are open to the public.

While, this made her decision to stay in Mercury City, heavier. She also felt more comfortable. Just being dangerous wasn’t enough to emphasize the opportunities open to her. Azeban hadn’t been the first to emphasize this point.

During Jessica’s journey north. On more than one occasion, Everblood had mentioned this. Usually when talking to Leo. It was clear who he was saying it to though. To make the point clear, he even said it once more before they met up with Azeban.

For one reason or another, Everblood didn’t enter Mercury City. It wasn’t like he couldn’t. The entire time they were in peripheral, he had come to get food. While this is going off his words alone. He also said he couldn’t stay here. That was to imply he could come and go, but never stay.

With a heavy heart, she left the first floor. Dissimilar to the interior. The stairs were a doom and gloomy gray. Once up the stairs the hall opened up to another peaceful floor.

Like the floor below, the walls were made of a light wood. Beautiful grain patterns could be seen. Sparsely decorated with anything but a table or two. Connecting the stairs to a square hall that was open for all to see.

Stairs themselves were paired together. So the first floor was blocked from sight. Although, all that could be seen below was the gloomy gray stone. The upstairs hall was fashioned with matching floors, pulling her attention away.

On the walls was a magical lantern made to mimic a dungeon lamp. Unlike the low tier dungeons, these were obviously designed to copy the higher tier dungeons. This lantern was covered in a clear glass. Some type of wood was used to hold a wick. A pleasant smell wafted through the open tops.

In total, there were three rooms on every side. To the front and back of the building, natural light could be seen shining through. It wasn’t like the six rooms lining the side of the building were dark. They, too, had light coming from inside.

This light, however, lacked a certain natural aspect. Peering through the open door, she was able to see the interior. Ignoring the furniture, she focused on the lamp inside.

Connected to the ceiling was a light covered by a glass casing. It wasn’t possible to see through the glass, the light, however, was special. She could feel a warmth coming from the light. It was clearly magic, while mimicking, it couldn’t replace the real thing.

Nonetheless, it was really amazing. Moving to a natural lighted room at the back of the building. It was on the far side of where the stairs for the floor were. Inside she found a bed, desk, chair, dresser, and finally a window.

It was the same, not counting the window, as the one she had just seen. What amazed her was that most of the items were radiating mana. She recognized the mana, it was a signature radiation. This mana was what would be felt when a magic item that could recognize its owner. The radiation of mana was seeking out its owner’s mana signature.

That was to say, the dresser, desk, and even the window all would recognize a singe owner. The dresser would hold your items, it could be understood. Even the desk, it had a few desk draws. However, it blew her mind that even the window had a signature reader. By claiming it, nobody but her would be able to open it. They couldn’t even close it either.

While small and seemingly insignificant. This was better than most of the inns she had stayed in. This included the one in Aruna. The inn that was super expensive. While they had fancier and larger rooms. The comfort of privacy and control lacked horribly behind.

0